As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek Online - Engage!

ScooterScooter Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
So Cryptic finally let this one out of the bag, and I think it deserves more of a thread than latching on to Champions conversation. There's screenshots but I can't seem to post them directly, so I'll be lame and link them (game site is www.startrekonline.com).

It looks like each player will be a captain of either a Federation or Klingon ship, with an NPC crew that you recruit and train. Looks like TNG visuals to me, which I like and pretty much expected. That seems to be about it at the moment, but they're giving a presentation with gameplay video on the 10th apparently.

Now, I'm far from a Trekkie, but I am lacking a good scifi MMO, so I'm tentatively down for this.

Scooter on

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Terrible OP.

Needs more pictures.

Prove you're not a shill.

Etc.

Glal on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh, so it's Eve in the Alpha Quadrent but without any of the stuff that makes Eve enjoyable

paaaaaaaassssssssss

Pony on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    It looks like each player will be a captain of either a Federation or Klingon ship, with an NPC crew that you recruit and train. Looks like TNG visuals to me, which I like and pretty much expected. That seems to be about it at the moment, but they're giving a presentation with gameplay video on the 10th apparently.

This game has already failed unless there are ships staffed by guilds.

I'm getting really tired of game developers thinking that Star Trek can be summed up as "pewpew the bad guys". The interesting stuff happens on the ship.

Lewisham on
    edited July 2008
    yeah, at one time, they were like "You can just play as some shit-heel ensign or klingon warrior tooling about on Dribblor VII, doing factional missions and stuff, or you can join a crew (guild) and board your own starship (guildhall) and go on special starship missions (raids)"

instead, they're like "well Eve has spaceships, let's just do that"

Pony on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Those are some underwhelming screenshots. I realize it's early but... geez.

I might enjoy a "softer" EvE-like MMO, and it'd certainly have more widespread appeal. EvE knowingly courts a very niche market, and I'm sure there's a broader market for a space MMO.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited July 2008
    eve is all about PvP

because the PvE of Eve is boring

you know what i think this game will be?

boring! because it will be like Eve but with a PvE focus

whoopeefuckingdoo

Pony on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PvE in EvE is boring because the devs don't do anything with it, never have, and never will. Why would another space-sim-style MMO have to have boring PvE?

Anyway, quoting from the Champions thread:
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    Has there ever actually been a Star Trek game that's been anything more than just "okay"?

Count me among those who liked the Elite Force games, but I wouldn't put them among the highest pantheon of FPSes either. However, the Deep Space 9: The Fallen game, which was a third-person shooter, was really very good, but I don't think anyone but me played it.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited July 2008
    PvE in EvE is boring because the devs don't do anything with it, never have, and never will. Why would another space-sim-style MMO have to have boring PvE?

explain how it could be fun

Pony on
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    oh, so it's Eve in the Alpha Quadrent but without any of the stuff that makes Eve enjoyable
    You can't lose what you don't have.

Glal on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Everyone being the captain of their own ship seems like they missed the point of star trek. It's just as much about the social interactions of the crew as it is about curious anomalies and weird aliens, with ship battles ranking pretty far down the list.

And since the show was more about the characters than the ships it seemed like an obvious choice to have the players playing the people aboard the ships. And if you did get into a battle with another ship how badass would that be to have 5 or 6 players all talking over voice chat and working together, one doing evasive manoeuvres, one in engineering adjusting shield polarities to deflect incoming fire, one targetting the enemy ship's phaser banks with photon torpedoes at the weapons console, one being the captain and co-ordinating it and one guy standing at the communications array and getting killed when it unexpectedly explodes when the ship gets hit.

Instead they make, captain your own ship staffed by NPCs. Bleh.

-SPI- on
    edited July 2008
    see this is what i am saying

Pony on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Has there ever actually been a Star Trek game that's been anything more than just "okay"?

Count me among those who liked the Elite Force games, but I wouldn't put them among the highest pantheon of FPSes either. However, the Deep Space 9: The Fallen game, which was a third-person shooter, was really very good, but I don't think anyone but me played it.

I played it, and it was awesome

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I played it, and it was awesome

Didn't it get pretty bad reviews at release? That's my own memory of why I didn't play it.

Lewisham on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, space environments that are actually complex and interesting?

I guess people will have to start realizing how mediocre EVE Online really looks.

You know, now that it has direct competition again.

I cannot wait to hear more.

I trust Cryptic to do an awesome job with this.

Jasconius on
    edited July 2008
    But can it compete with EVE in the sheer number of Flash banner adds it will spew all over the web? That's the important question.

Glal on
    edited July 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    But can it compete with EVE in the sheer number of Flash banner adds it will spew all over the web? That's the important question.

listen i've got a grinding wheel here

you've clearly got an axe

we can get a thing going if you'd like

Pony on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually reminds me more of the westwood game. Space and Beyond? Or Earth and Beyond? I never remember the first one because it gets mixed with Space Above and Beyond which was an awesome show.

I liked Earth and Beyond, it was fun. Combat wasn't to bad but not really a space sim, but exploring and being a merchant mule wasn't to bad at all. That and their were a lot of really nice people and had an ok community. But Star Trek is not about you on your lone ship going around the galaxy. Its about the crew going around the universe finding new races, not interfering or in the case of Kirk sleeping with them. Its the crews that make the game cool.

That and I don't want to be a Klingon or the Federation. I am a through and through Romulan. But I could be a Cardassian and be happy as well. The Obsidian Order was kind of cool, need to find Garak's book again when I go home.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd love to do a guild crewed ship based MMO - whether it be this or something else - but how would this really work? I'm no MMO god, having only played WOW, but are there any current MMOs or other games that build a collective machine/ship/device that is manned by multiple human players that interacts with other player manned "things" or the environment.

So if there are no pre-existing models of how this would work in a game perhaps it's just been thrown into the too hard basket and they've reverted to more known models - aka lets rip off EVE/WOW/EQ etc

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    listen i've got a grinding wheel here
    you've clearly got an axe
    we can get a thing going if you'd like
    "Dear Diary- I just made love for the second time."

Glal on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well ,now we'll finally see Captains dumber than Janeway...

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    uh

if you ever played EVE

and were in a corp that had player-owned structures

you have to build, maintain, supply, and fuel your own space station, and defend it from others.

as for ship operations, it'd be simple enough.

for the most part a ship would be no different than a guildhall: a sexy place for a guild to show off it's awesomeness and shit.

but you could also go on ship missions, which would be no different than putting together a 10 or 15 man raid really. if you can co-ordinate that in WoW, you could do it in another game

Pony on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    Well ,now we'll finally see Captains dumber than Janeway...

Oh god, take your average dumbass from wow and make him captain of a starship. I am afraid.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually reminds me more of the westwood game. Space and Beyond? Or Earth and Beyond? I never remember the first one because it gets mixed with Space Above and Beyond which was an awesome show.

I liked Earth and Beyond, it was fun. Combat wasn't to bad but not really a space sim, but exploring and being a merchant mule wasn't to bad at all. That and their were a lot of really nice people and had an ok community. But Star Trek is not about you on your lone ship going around the galaxy. Its about the crew going around the universe finding new races, not interfering or in the case of Kirk sleeping with them. Its the crews that make the game cool.

That and I don't want to be a Klingon or the Federation. I am a through and through Romulan. But I could be a Cardassian and be happy as well. The Obsidian Order was kind of cool, need to find Garak's book again when I go home.

Apparently the last guys working on this only had Klingons as Federation officers. As least they're up to two playable factions now.

Scooter on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Geez, we've really increased the efficiency of our 'it sucks' declarations, now we just do it right after the announcement!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2008
    Is there any other info to go on yet other than the blurb on the website? It's pretty vague about some things.

How exactly would you play on the 'guild as ship' if the captain and navigator happen to not be on. What would you do then?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there any other info to go on yet other than the blurb on the website? It's pretty vague about some things.

How exactly would you play on the 'guild as ship' if the captain and navigator happen to not be on. What would you do then?

Yeah, this bugs me too. Does a ship need an engineer? What does the engineer actually do, as a player? Does he have an assistant? Can the assistant do what the engineer does if the engineer is on holiday with the wife and cannot login that week?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    But... I... thought they cancelled this. Whatever, I'm a sci-fi junky. I'll end up spending money on it.

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited July 2008
    Geez, we've really increased the efficiency of our 'it sucks' declarations, now we just do it right after the announcement!

to be fair, it sucks

Pony on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While I'm not actually a huge fan of Star Trek (TNG kicks ass though), I will voice that any possible interest I could've had in this was killed all because of each player being in charge of their own ship, as opposed to player-run ships.

My dreams of being Ensign Fuckstick are down the drain.

Edit - For some relevance.

20030804h.gif

Henroid on
  • TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    This looks stupid.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well I agree with the skepticism in this thread. Star Trek never interested me as an MMO property, but here's hoping Cryptic can put as much love into it as Champions is getting.

-Also the space backgrounds don't look as nice as Eve's but it's just announced so I assume its all placeholder.

bloodyroarxx on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If everyone can be the captain of an enterprise level ship I'm going to be so sad, so sad.

The coolest thing about the last attempt at the Star Trek MMO is that you could pilot your own tiny little ship but to get something in the Enterprise class took a whole guild working togetehr to run the ship. A freaking flying guild hall. That is awesome!

At least we know for certain you can land on planets and run around as an away team. That is something.

Accualt on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm climbing on the optimism train. This is the first MMO in a long time that I've looked at with genuine excitement. And with Cryptic at the helm (so to speak), I think good things can happen.

I can see logistically why they went with the "everyone's a captain" thing, and I don't mind it a bit. Teh hardcorez only rule doesn't pay the bills. Besides, an instanced interior still leaves plenty of stuff open for encounters on your own ship.

Playing Eve is like playing an Excel spreadsheet without the whimsy, so a slightly more casual space exploration MMO with fun combat in a familiar universe is just what the doctor ordered.

Ceno on
    edited July 2008
    While having a group run a ship sounds fun superficially, I can't see why anyone would want to be something other than pilot/captain or gunner. If a ship needed 4 engineers, would you sit at port til you could beat or bribe four people into it?

Scooter on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    While having a group run a ship sounds fun superficially, I can't see why anyone would want to be something other than pilot/captain or gunner. If a ship needed 4 engineers, would you sit at port til you could beat or bribe four people into it?
    The way I see it, you wouldn't have players filling every single role on the ship, the players would be the equivalent of the main characters on the shows. So you don't have 20 engineers monitoring warp core activity or some boring shit, you would have the head engineer who can inverse the tachyon field polarity and redirect the power to the portside shields and eject the warp core and unconvincingly roll under slow closing doors in the event of a warp core breach and all that fun stuff.

-SPI- on
    edited July 2008
    That leaves at most like 4 people in a crew though. Might as well just give them all their own boat.

Scooter on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm sure some mechanic will come into play where a party member could conceivably take over one of the functions of the ship should the situation arise. The complications of not having your main engineer online when you need him are best avoided, especially if they get rid of the grindfest of endgame (which I would pay good money for).

Lose the gear, set up a skill tree. That way when the Borg suddenly warp into the system and start an all-out assault on Federation space, Lieutenant Jim won't be pissed off that instead of witnessing all the cool action, he's staring at engine readouts on a simulated control panel. He'll have a ship that is set up according to how he plays the game and can act accordingly.

Ceno on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Might it be that something that sounds really cool when you think about it would end up being really shitty if it were implemented?

It's happened before.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Seriously, you guys are talking a lot about specific mechanics that I don't see actually written anywhere.

Can someone point me to where you're getting all this? Like I said, just the little blurb that's on the site is really vague and could mean lots of things.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Powered by the Cryptic Engine"

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but is it really likely that using the same engine for a kapow blammo kaplooey superhero game and for a Star Trek game is going to make anything more than a re-skinned superhero game? I mean I guess it's possible the Cryptic engine is insanely powerful and diverse but... I can't imagine there being many similarities between the Champions universe and the Star Trek universe.

SpongeCake on