As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Man I Hate It When...

• StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who write a massive essay as one of their posts on a forum. I'm not going to do more than skim it and it's very rare that they have more to say with their thousand words than most people could express with a paragraph or two.

Starcross on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Starcross wrote: »
    People who write a massive essay as one of their posts on a forum. I'm not going to do more than skim it and it's very rare that they have more to say with their thousand words than most people could express with a paragraph or two.

It's even worse if you read the entire thing and then feel empty afterwards because you just wasted five minutes of your life.

Daxon on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    These days if i have to hit the spacebar to read the rest of the post, I pretty much just assume that the author considers tinfoil an essential fashion accessory and move on with my day. Especially OPs.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    logogog wrote: »
    The entire concept of celebrity news. The fact that someone is a good actor does not make their life something we should all be obsessed with.
    And the worst bit? They don't even have to be good at acting.

Cyvros on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    ege02 wrote: »
    People who sacrifice clarity for the sake of brevity when they write.

Those are fairly annoying.

People who insert long words simply to sound fancier. They normally don't use the long words correctly either.

And yeah whiner's forum existed for about a week last time until the mods got fed up with it. Also I think so newly modded peeps screwed around with it which resulted in all the threads merging into one or something fucked up like that.

No, its deliberately set up as a temporary spleen-venting forum. Its been run a few times now.

There were always really long threads about what a terrible person I was. They were awesome :D
    They say any publicity is good publicity.

Hacksaw on
  • TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When people type um, er, erm when texting/posting.

Also the word meh.

Trichome on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Inserting the word 'like' into every sentence you say. I wasn't aware people still did this but recently I met some who did. It was horribly 90s.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm an english nazi, so I hate people who don't use correct grammar. Or better yet, when the sentences they say/use just don't make sense.

ex. "I don't like red as a color."

My buddy who I support as much as I can for his approach anxiety and dating/social life, but when the tables are turned I see him flat out laughing when I attempt to talk to a girl.

90% of kids.

The words "very" and "like". I'm in the process of killing these from my vocabulary. It's a difficult task.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Trichome wrote: »
    Trichome wrote: »
    People use that cutesy icanhascheezburger.com language.

It's funny, I know this girl who uses that kind of slang ALL THE TIME. I went and visited her house (we're both staying in Portland over the summer) and every other word from her mouth was lolspeak. She's kind of an insecure hipster who gets angry a lot and calls me a lazy bastard, so it was also a very confusing experience. I chalked it up to her just spending too much time by herself over the summer.

I mean, I use a whole lot of slang too, but jeeze man, it was intense.

At least it was a girl using it. Guys doing that shit? GTFO! Portland is cool i go there sometimes.

I also hate when i get a wrong number and i tell them "wrong number" and they say is this 555-56...I always blow up and say LOOK, I SAID YOU GOT THE WRONG NUMBER! I know who i am, damn.

man, they just want to know if they punched in the wrong number or if they wrote down the wrong number.

because if it's the latter, you just guaranteed that they'll call a second time.

I had someone call me as a wrong number (no exaggeration) SIX FUCKING TIMES yesterday.

After the 6th, I called them and very calmly and politely explained that this was NOT, in fact, the number they were looking for.

It was so bizzare.

*ring*

"Hello?"

"Oh sorry, I have the wrong number."

NOW IMAGINE SOMEONE DOING THAT FIVE MORE TIMES IN A ROW!

I guess they must've had the worlds shortest attention span.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    people who take cherries that are on sale at supermarkets, eat them then spit the seeds out on the floor.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Qliphoth wrote: »
    people who take cherries that are on sale at supermarkets, eat them then spit the seeds out on the floor.

People do that?

Holy shit.

MikeMan on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Wait, the floor of the supermarket itself? Eew.

Bogart on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These days if i have to hit the spacebar to read the rest of the post, I pretty much just assume that the author considers tinfoil an essential fashion accessory and move on with my day. Especially OPs.

Ah yes. THAT is my forum pet peeve: OPs. Specifically the way this forum expects them to me more like minor dissertations that simply thread-starting posts sometimes.

Phoenix-D on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That reminds me. People who use....lots of periods....between words.....like this....

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People

who

separate

their posts

into little chunks like this

and type one line at a time

as if each sentence merits being isolated.

Just a few more.

Like this.

Perfect.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ege02 wrote: »
    People who go to the gym and do isolation exercises.

This is why I have a weight bench at home and don't bother with a gym.

I don't need to pay a monthly fee to have know-it-alls eyeing me critiquing my workout thankyouverymuch.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People who start their posts with "Ummm" in a condescending manner. That's douchebaggery of the highest degree.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Modification of the word "unique".

GungHo on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's a regional practice in San Francisco where if you're on an escalator and you just want to stand, you stand on the right and leave a lane for people to walk on the left.

I'd never encountered this until moving here, and now when people don't do it, it annoys me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    There's a regional practice in San Francisco where if you're on an escalator and you just want to stand, you stand on the right and leave a lane for people to walk on the left.

I'd never encountered this until moving here, and now when people don't do it, it annoys me.
    I don't think that's really regional. It bugs me when people do that on the DC Metro.

Bama on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Murago wrote: »
    I'm an english nazi, so I hate people who don't use correct grammar. Or better yet, when the sentences they say/use just don't make sense.

My buddy who I support as much as I can for his approach anxiety and dating/social life, but when the tables are turned I see him flat out laughing when I attempt to talk to a girl.

90% of kids.

The words "very" and "like". I'm in the process of killing these from my vocabulary. It's a difficult task.

I hate people who claim to be English grammar Nazis and complain about people who fail to use proper grammar and spelling, but manage to fail so horribly on those very same fronts in their post where they complain about said people.

In short, I hate hypocrites and morons who think they are smarter than they actually are.

Premier kakos on
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »

I don't think that's really regional. It bugs me when people do that on the DC Metro.

Oh really?

I've never seen it anywhere else.

But I've never been to DC, either. I don't remember people doing it when I visited NYC, but that was years ago.

Feral on

edited July 2008
    You stand to the right of the escalator? Heathen.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    You stand to the right of the escalator? Heathen.
    Cat, I think you should look into a little thing called the Coriolis effect. That's why you wackos in the southern hemisphere do everything backwards.

Bama on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Slow drivers in the left lane!!!!!!!!!!

LondonBridge on
    edited July 2008
    LondonBridge

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    LondonBridge

Ooo. Do we get to bitch about other forumers?

_J_

Premier kakos on
    edited July 2008

I always thought that was accepted etiquette everywhere.

There are huge signs in the Secaucus junction train station here in Jersey, for instance, that say "STAND TO THE RIGHT, WALK TO THE LEFT" above escalators.

MikeMan on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

90% of kids.

I hate people who claim to be English grammar Nazis and complain about people who fail to use proper grammar and spelling, but manage to fail so horribly on those very same fronts in their post where they complain about said people.

In short, I hate hypocrites and morons who think they are smarter than they actually are.
    It's some kind of natural law that any post correcting someone's grammar or spelling will, itself, contain at least one grammatical or spelling error.

Daedalus on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1) I have to deal with self absorbed people.
    2) Stubbing my toe.
    3) My car decides to turn off the cruise control just because it feels like it.
    4) My car decides to turn the check engine light on because of the slight elevation change from not being on a bridge, to being on a bridge. (It's the bump that does it)
    5) Smokers toss their butts out the car window. I smoked for ten years and this bugged me even then. I understand that not all modern cars come with ashtrays anymore, which is why when I bought a car that didn't include one, I simply bought one to place in the car.
    6) People call me to do tech support for them for free.
    7) People "race" from red light to red light.
    8) I'll keep this short and just say "bad drivers".
    9) I drop lightbulbs, especially if it is the new one.
    10) Light bulbs fall out of their socket for no apparent reason.
    11) I strip wallpaper from our house because old people have bad taste and I want to paint and end up having to do drywall repair because there is a hole in the wall they just covered up with the wallpaper.
    12) I wake up about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. That really bugs me for some reason.
    13) My cat knocks a whole bunch of stuff off of a table because there is very little friction between the magazines she's walking across and the table on which they are lying.
    14) txt speak ends up in business emails I receive from people.
    15) I receive a text message.
    16) I hit my head on door jams, lights, etc. because the world was designed for short people.
    17) I walk into a bathroom and notice I'd have an easier time urinating on top of the urinal than in it, again for the short people.
    18) Shows I like get cancelled.
    19) No one shows up for band practice without any forewarning, or when they show up late, bunch of slackers.
    20) I lose touch with any of the few people I actually do enjoy conversing with.

Bolthorn on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's done in a lot of places and countries. Airports, especially, but also when day-to-day commuting. I used to get "coughed" at a lot in Taiwan when I wasn't getting with the program.

GungHo on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    8) I'll keep this short

Au contraire.

Bogart on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    7) People "race" from red light to red light.

Especially irritating when you are on a bicycle. ZOOM they go past you. You pass them up to the front on the right at a red light, then ZOOM they pass you again. And again. And again. Way to go jackass, you just spent $3.00 in fuel and I used up a half a handful of trail mix.

Doc on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Would you say it's a very difficult task?

Hacksaw on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1) I have to deal with self absorbed people.
    2) Stubbing my toe.

Best juxtaposition ever.

MrMister on
    edited July 2008
    nothing's wrong with very

like is just a filler

MikeMan on
    edited July 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Would you say it's a very difficult task?
    Well, I wouldn't put it quite like that.

Bama on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When someone's reading a book and I ask where they're at in it and they give me the page number.

That does not help me out at all!

Speed Racer on
  • Sour RapesSour Rapes __BANNED USERS new member
    edited July 2008
    Mods who ban ruthlessly.

Sour Rapes on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Sour Rapes wrote: »
    Mods who ban ruthlessly.

I once banned a dude because he was misbehavin, then lost to me in a rap battle to stay on the forums.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.