As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why the EA hatred?

RobmanRobman Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Look, I understand your utter fucking disdain for The Sims 2 - Hobo Adventures in Interior Decorating #2234 and Command and Conquer 33: Yuri Gets Botox...

But this shit sells.

EA is a large company. They are legally bound in their responsibility to maximize shareholder profits.

What this means is that they will not waste funds on some fringe product that won't sell because people would rather see a clone of a beloved geriatric franchise instead of some new meat on the market.

Case in point: most of the largest upcoming titles in production are all sequels. Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Far Cry 2, Star Craft 2.... I'm seeing a pattern, and it's a lack of AAA studios putting out new shit for us to play with.

So until us fringe fuckwits can organize the masses into buying enough copies of Spore that it rivals whatever shit Blizzard polishes to a shine and stamps their logo on... stop ragging on EA for doing their job.

Robman on

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EA hate is kinda last year. They're putting out games that people want to play now.

Dehumanized on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Who.. who are you talking to?

Magus` on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought all the hate from EA stemmed from the death of game companies like Origin and Bullfrog after being aquired.

Tertiee on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2008
    Magus` wrote: »

Is it me? Was I trying to catch EA ridin' dirty again? I always forget when I'm doing that.

Aroduc on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Men.

Made of straws.

yalborap on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, uh, EA has arguably the best lineup of games for the near future. No one's really hating on them anymore.

This is like a thread that someone submitted a couple years ago, but the forums just registered it now.

Graviija on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EA hate is kinda last year. They're putting out games that people want to play now.

Yeah indeed. EA seems to have found the key to that storeroom deep under their building where they had locked away all that awesome years ago.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

Is it me? Was I trying to catch EA ridin' dirty again? I always forget when I'm doing that.

I'm not sure it's you.

Wait, are you made of straw by any chance?

subedii on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Did EA ever make up for that whole "working our employees right past the bone and into the marrow" fiasco? I lost track of that

Ledneh on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Here: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3765068&ok=1718721364&sc=56

I was shocked and appalled at the outpouring of EA hate. I was curious if this extended from the first quartile of internets IQ to the second and third.

Robman on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EA has shaped shit up recently. They have Spore, WAR, Mirrors Edge, and Crysis. I think they are doing well enough to curb much of people's complaints about them with this excellent games coming soon, if they haven't been released already.

Lucky Cynic on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

I'm not sure it's you.

Wait, are you made of straw by any chance?

Shit.

They're on to me.

Aroduc on
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Did EA ever make up for that whole "working our employees right past the bone and into the marrow" fiasco? I lost track of that

They've made improvements from what I understand. Erin Hoffman seems to be more happy with them, and said she even recommended some people she knew to go work there.

subedii on
    edited July 2008
    Robman wrote: »

Here: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3765068&ok=1718721364&sc=56

I was shocked and appalled at the outpouring of EA hate. I was curious if this extended from the first quartile of internets IQ to the second and third.

Protip: We are not Fark.com.

subedii on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Shocked and appalled"? Really?

Darlan on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Shit, I got confused when url read forums.penny-arcade.com and I saw the Penny Arcade logo at the top of the page.

Robman on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Wait we're not? Then where am I? Who are you?! How did you get this number!? Don't ever call here again!
    No one messes with Adam We

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

And did you just call us second fiddle to fark?

:|

(edit) wait, misread, nevermind

Ledneh on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I never thought the president of EA would post here. Awesome.

TVs_Frank on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate EA. They are taking all my money on good games. God damn them TO HELL!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, so I know most of you on this board are too young to remember. But there was in the early 90s a renaissance of PC gaming that has yet to be equaled.

EA acquired, shit all over then killed off the creative geniuses at Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood and Maxis.

Wing Commander. Ultima. Dungeon Keeper. Populous. Syndicate. Magic Carpet. Sim Tower/Life/City etc... Dune. Lands of Lore.

I could go on.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They've made improvements from what I understand. Erin Hoffman seems to be more happy with them, and said she even recommended some people she knew to go work there.
    Yeah ever since that new guy became CEO or whatever they really seemed to turn around both inside the company and what they put out game wise.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited July 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Could he kindly bring us a proper sequel to Syndicate? I promise to be less angry in future if he does that.

subedii on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I seem to remember one of the branches of EA this spring fired their employees in a unique way. For the life of me I can't remember what branch it was, but one day they showed up to worked and their building was locked and the security guards wouldn't let them in. It was a small office building, I think about 120-150 employees. Their computers and papers were locked up, to prevent them from going off with company secrets or leaking game details because they'd be disgruntled about being fired so suddenly.

Basically, I hate EA because they treat employees like crap. And companies that ONLY care about profits are the scum of the Earth, and most of what I learn about EA points to them being one of these companies.

tehmarken on
    edited July 2008
    Ok, so I know most of you on this board are too young to remember. But there was in the early 90s a renaissance of PC gaming that has yet to be equaled.

EA acquired, shit all over then killed off the creative geniuses at Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood and Maxis.

Wing Commander. Ultima. Dungeon Keeper. Populous. Syndicate. Magic Carpet. Sim Tower/Life/City etc... Dune. Lands of Lore.

I could go on.

Most of us DO remember. In fact most of us responding probably played all those games. I know I did.

Doesn't change the fact that what EA's doing now is slightly different to the retarded stuff EA was doing back then.

EDIT: Oh, and EA didn't really "kill of the creative geniuses at" Maxis. Will Wright seems to be quite happy working for them and making them big $$$.

Peter Molyneux said he left Bullfrog largely because he wanted to focus on a small company mentality and the size and bearocracy had gotten in the way. He's since said that realistically that's just a change that he had to adapt to and things have largely ended up the same at Lionhead.

Origin and Westwood, yeah, I'll give you those. But then, even the new EA president said that the way that they handled Westwood was stupid.

subedii on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I could go on.

You are so incredibly wrong, it's not even funny.

Igort on
  • SentienceSentience Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Where EA has stepped up, Activision has been all too willing to fill in their place as evil corporate fuckheads hellbent on ruining the industry.

Sentience on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.

Hell, I never hated EA, but that's basically because I didn't give a shit about any of those companies they killed.

UnbreakableVow on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought we liked EA now, since they have Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

My Name Is Luke on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.

Hell, I never hated EA, but that's basically because I didn't give a shit about any of those companies they killed.
    Oh god, what happened? It stinks like console gamer in here.
    :P

Bama on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, they kinda lost my hatred when they took my money and gave me Rock Band and Skate. I even got Skate for free from that whole Rock Band shit instrument RMA deal. I'm not complaining.

Mirror's Edge is kind of a plus as well.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quick! Someone explain the point of this thread and/or make sense of the OP!

Spacehog85 on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't hate EA when it was cool to hate EA, but only so I could be the coolest kid for liking EA before everyone else liked them again.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

Some guy is really "LTTP", as it were.

Igort on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EA has investors. Investors only care about profit.

Guess what happens if EA doesn't make its investors happy? They stop investing. EA really, really doesn't want that to happen.

Thankfully, EA seems to have realized that making good games doesn't exclude you from making a profit. Everyone wins!

Dehumanized on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    OP was pissed off by something over at fark and wisely decided to yell at us about it.

What part of that doesn't make sense?

Bama on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah ever since that new guy became CEO or whatever they really seemed to turn around both inside the company and what they put out game wise.

If you are talking John Riccitiello he's not really new. He had worked at EA previously and was rehired for a CEO position.

Tertiee on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    Does he?

I mean I suppose it doesn't surprise me considering how many people post here.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EA also kinda own Bioware and Pandemic and are not fucking them up. Yet.

Renzo on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »

Oh god, what happened? It stinks like console gamer in here.
    :P

Hey, I'm not gonna deny it. I'm not a PC gamer, never have been and never will me. So that giant list mentioned beforehand, "Wing Commander. Ultima. Dungeon Keeper. Populous. Syndicate. Magic Carpet. Sim Tower/Life/City etc... Dune. Lands of Lore"...yeah. Pretty much meant nothing.

UnbreakableVow on