As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting TF2 to run on my laptop

zychizychi Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to get TF2 to run on this laptop. I've googled as much as I can to config and mess with Steam to get all Source Engine games to run. I've gotten every game on the Orange Box to run except TF2. Google says I should be able to run it with a few fixes, but I can't get it to work. The key issue seems to be the video card, but there are people on the internet who say they've gotten it to run. I couldn't run HL2 until I tweaked it a bit, but now it runs great, so I'm hoping I can get TF2 to run too.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my specs based on Can You Run It?http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

2 processors running - Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2080 @ 1.73GHz

CPU Speed
1.73 GHz Performance Rated at 2.98 GHz

System RAM
1014 MB

Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build 6000)

Video Card
Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family ()

Video Card 3D Acceleration:Yes
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 , You have - 2.0

zychi on

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, does it even start?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What sort of launch options have you tried? Generally speaking, the first thing to try is forcing it to run in an earlier version of directx.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I had it running until I put the cursor over the menu, now I have nothing. It was running when I forced it to run directx9, but now I can't get anything to get it to run.

zychi on
  • Options
    myvillainmyvillain __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Even if you can get past your problems and get it to run, it wont run well enough to play. I've tried installing it on a friends very similar laptop. Dont even bother. Your video card is too shitty (not there)

myvillain on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thats what I figured with Portal and Hl2 Eps2 but both run pretty well now after some tweaking from various forums on the internet.

zychi on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Steam has an article on this. Basically, the issue is a combination of Intel's video hardware and video drivers. You can try the tweaks listed in that article, and you can try downloading newer Intel video drivers (if available). If neither of those work, or aren't applicable, or you've already tried them, then you're SOL until such time as Intel decides to stop sucking at game support.

Incidentally, this would be why people say thing like "Intel integrated video sucks for gaming". If you're looking to game on a laptop, make sure it has an Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphics chip. Performance may still be not all that hot in a mobile chip, but you'll at least get much better driver support thanks to both companies' unified driver model and frequent driver updates. Not much you can do about this after the fact, I know, but that's just how it is.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I appreciate the help von, our desktop, which was mainly used for gaming and homework recently decided to die, and I don't have the funds to fix it yet. I was just trying to feed my addiction to TF2. I know laptops aren't meant for gaming, but like I said thanks for the input.

zychi on