As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is with Wehrenberg theatres, you guys?

Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Social Entropy++
The last three times I've been at a Wehrenberg theater, there's been a handicapped guy tearing tickets. I'm curious if any of you in the Midwest have worked there and can tell me if it's always been this way, and if so, why? Is there like some kind of career agency that places them there or what?

Alternatively we can talk about their practice of building massive entertainment centers that they can never support, or how AMC theaters are always much nicer despite not having an arcade. When did movie theaters get rid of their arcades? It's so great when they have them, like finding a dollar in your coach cushions.

Cosmic Sombrero on

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How hard is it to tear tickets

There's your answer

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    but why does the arcade have a tic tac toe machine?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And AMC theatres are crummy and turn off the AC if a movie goes later than 11

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this thread is sad because it made me remember a mentally-handicapped dude with nubs for hands at the ticket line

you tore up your ticket in front of him and put it in his box

so sad so sad

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ubik wrote: »

There's your answer

It's pretty difficult when the one guy is shaking a lot and it makes things awkward for everyone. The manager was twenty feet away at all times and I wanted to go over and ask him why he put the guy there if he had to watch him all the time. It was frustrating.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2008
    this thread is sad because it made me remember a mentally-handicapped dude with nubs for hands at the ticket line

so sad so sad

What theater was this?

Maybe if you live in a shantytown.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2008

Maybe if you live in a shantytown.

Man use your noggin.

Shantytowns don't have any insides to air condition

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was an AMC in California.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
    edited July 2008
    It was an AMC in California.

Now I'm wondering if all movie theaters do this in some capacity. Is there a program to reintroduce the recently crippled back into the work environment or something?

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Regal theatres are pieces of shit. All the speakers but the very front-most ones cut out during the last quarter of Hellboy II.

Mai-Kero on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

so sad so sad

Ugh goddamnit, thinking about the genuinely mentally retarded makes me depressed as hell

It's my own personal What Is The Saddest Thing

Ledneh on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    but they do show red band trailers so thats cool

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been seeing a rather large increase in 20-something males working at grocery stores or offices performing minor menial tasks with obvious leg or head injuries. As in they're learning to use prosthetics or have massive amounts of stitches on their heads and you can tell that they aren't all there anymore.

I'm betting war wounded.

Weaver on
  • ShikaoShikao Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, we have a plaza with 2 movie theatres in Cat City. An Imax and the Mary Pickford. And they are both awesome.

Shikao on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Am I the only one who whispers "Wehrenberg" back and forth with his friends during that bit at the beginning?

TheySlashThem on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    J. Grant wrote: »
    FR_Joe.gif

This fucker has his own goddamned seat

with his name imprinted on the back in gold!

Joke's on him, though. The front rows sucks ass.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I worked all sorts of jobs at a local Regal movie theater all throughout highschool and college, and the 'floor supervisor' was an elderly woman in a wheelchair whose responsibilites consisted entirely of sitting there and ripping tickets. An EZ-scan turnstyle might be more effient in moving crowds of people through the line and into their seats, but, honestly, there is still a large portion of the population who appreciate a quick pleasantry delivered by a human being, even if a barnacle could fulfil their ancillary duties.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Cavalier EricCavalier Eric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The door position (ticket tearing, theater clean-up, general run-around go-fer) is a relatively easy job that a lot of weekend workers and retirees gravitate towards. They don't have to deal with computers or cash and can be as chatty or monosyllabic with customers as they want to be. In the end, they get a paycheck and free movies for not much effort, depending on the company and the management at the time.

Not to say all doormen are this way. A lot of them are really hard workers who end up cleaning out several auditoriums, bathrooms, hallways, and generally getting all of the crap thrown at them that the rest of the staff doesn't want to do. Just patrons usually only see them at the "turn off your cellphone, it's the second auditorium to the left" phase.

It's also a position where trust can be an issue.

Most of the employee scams that are pulled at a movie theater involve the doorman in some way. I've managed Carmike, Regal and Cobb before and we've had doormen go into theaters, wash out old cups and then reselling them to new customers. Since you inventory by cups/bags, they pocket that "sale," and the customer gets an iffy bio-hazard. There's also cutting a deal with the box office guy for reselling untorn tickets, misuse of free passes, etc. This is why a lot of theaters don't like having box employees tearing tickets.

That might also be why the manager didn't step in to tear when the line got long. Some corporate policies forbid a manager from tearing tickets or working box. At any rate, these sorts of policies have some managers putting the "sweet grey-haired grannies" at the tear station.

Cavalier Eric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/Daggarbard/Shield.jpg
    "Now where's blondie? I've got one helluva hammer for 'em!"
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    The one up here has angry teens tearing tickets.

Angry because working at a movie theater sucks.

Fabricate on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

There's your answer

It's pretty difficult when the one guy is shaking a lot and it makes things awkward for everyone. The manager was twenty feet away at all times and I wanted to go over and ask him why he put the guy there if he had to watch him all the time. It was frustrating.

It's a relatively menial task that someone with his limited faculties can perform and feel proud of his job well done at the end of the day. Sure he might need a bit of extra supervision, but that is probably one of the few jobs someone like him can actually do and feel like an actual member of society.

I don't see what's so awkward about it.

Marathon on
    edited July 2008
    Its the same as old people being greeters at wal-mart.

Fabricate on
    edited July 2008
    Marathon wrote: »
    It's a relatively menial task that someone with his limited faculties can perform and feel proud of his job well done at the end of the day. Sure he might need a bit of extra supervision, but that is probably one of the few jobs someone like him can actually do and feel like an actual member of society.

It's awkward because it feels like if the manager feels like he has to supervise him, it seems like he doesn't trust him with the task.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There is a dude with like one tiny arm and one normal arm and kinda like hunched over all the time taking tickets at the amc where I live.

M.D. on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Marathon wrote: »

It's awkward because it feels like if the manager feels like he has to supervise him, it seems like he doesn't trust him with the task.

Chances are he probably does need a little bit of extra supervision.

Marathon on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Still depressed :cry:

Ledneh on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2008
    Weaver wrote: »
    I've been seeing a rather large increase in 20-something males working at grocery stores or offices performing minor menial tasks with obvious leg or head injuries. As in they're learning to use prosthetics or have massive amounts of stitches on their heads and you can tell that they aren't all there anymore.

I'm betting war wounded.

that is fucking depressing

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I remember the last time I went to Disney or Islands of Adventure or one of those places, there was a dude in a wheelchair handing out maps, like, two feet from the little stand that has the maps in it. I don't know what the guy's disability was but it resulted in him squeezing the shit outta those maps so they were all wrinkled and crushed by the time you actually got it away from him.

My mom used to see those dudes and say "We employ the handicapped, they're fun to watch."

Defenestrator on
  • Cavalier EricCavalier Eric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's also not many other places for the manager to be. Most theaters I worked for liked having a manager out on the floor, to deal with customer complaints, the odd candy/brain wrap emergency, and to generally just stand around, implying someone is in charge of all of the chaos. Corporate doesn't want you standing in the box, chatting with the employees there and most managers don't want to slip behind the concession counter for fear of actually having to sling a few bags of popcorn. So often you end up standing beside the door, feeling pretty useless until you're needed.

Cavalier Eric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/Daggarbard/Shield.jpg
    "Now where's blondie? I've got one helluva hammer for 'em!"
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fabricate wrote: »
    The one up here has angry teens tearing tickets.

Angry because working at a movie theater sucks.

Yeah it must suck to do little work and get to watch movies for free

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    one time, when i was in line to buy a ticket at a wehrenberg w/ a wheelchair-bound ticket-ripper, i nodded over in their direction to whomever i was with and said, "pssh. what a lazy ass, sitting down on the job."

o ho ho

i'm so damn funny.

redfenix on
    edited July 2008
    glaring at you

through the internet

TheySlashThem on
    edited July 2008
    Am I the only one who whispers "Wehrenberg" back and forth with his friends during that bit at the beginning?

yeah, when i was like 12

edit: nice timing

redfenix on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I only know of one AMC theater. It is built in two stories, so if the movie you are watching it up top, you take the escalator and arrive outside the theater.

Makes sneakin' around tricky.

Muse Among Men on
    edited July 2008
    I'm right in the St. Louis area, i've been to AMC, Kerasotes, and Wehrenburg theatres all around here.

it seems to depend more on the individual theater as far as quality less than the chain running it

i love the amc olive 16, but that's in part due to all the good college memories there.

redfenix on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Boston Commons used to be a Loews before AMC bought them out and the place has gone to shit some ways and gotten better in the other. I like Regal though. They generally run a pretty good theater. Too bad the closest Regal is in Fenway where all the fucking people who love to shout and shit throughout the whole fucking movie LOVE to hang out.

Best place to catch a movie remains a Muvico theater or the Uptown.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We have a Wehrenberg down here in Springfield and it's hilariously easy to sneak in, they neer have anybody down in the actual halls where the movies are.

Oh and TDOT mentioned the stupid whispering at the beginning of each screening. Yup, definitely guilty of that too.

Oh and no handicapped guy. We have a big tittie lady.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited July 2008
    redfenix wrote: »
    I'm right in the St. Louis area, i've been to AMC, Kerasotes, and Wehrenburg theatres all around here.

it seems to depend more on the individual theater as far as quality less than the chain running it

i love the amc olive 16, but that's in part due to all the good college memories there.

That one is supposed to be really nice, I've never gone though.

Fabricate on
    edited July 2008
    I tend to just go to the St. Charles Wehrenberg 18

I don't know if it's actually the closest threater or not

but I pretty much just have to go down the highway a ways to get to it so the route is easy to remember

TheySlashThem on
    edited July 2008
    Tdot we go to the same theater.

Fabricate on