As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Network Woes (I drew a diagram and everything)

InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I recently moved into a new place with 3 like-minded friends, and after a month of BT fucking me around, finally got a phone line and ADSL.

The network is almost working perfectly, and as you can see from this AWESOME diagram, I more or less know what I'm doing when it comes to setting one up.

networkzc6.gif

God I'm such an artist.

ANYWAY, the router is a Safecom SWAMRU-54108, which is running DHCP and allocating IP addresses based on MAC address (disabling DHCP angers the router and it makes frowny faces). This is working fine for everything on the network, and we all get our own little network IPs which stay the same.

The problem is with the PS3, which cannot connect to the internet, or even the router's web interface, though it has no problem connecting to a media server running on the network.

When using the PS3's internet connection test, it successfully acquires an IP (Network Settings > Settings and Connection Status List shows all the correct info, IP, Subnet Mask, Router IP, etc), then fails at the Internet Connection stage, with error 80710102 (An error occurred during communication with the server. This is a DNS error.)
I've tried pretty much every combination of manual/auto settings for IP and DNS, but given that the automatic settings produce the same numbers as doing it manually, I'm fairly sure that's not the problem.
I've also tried connecting it wirelessly to the very same router, and it produces the same error.

This PS3 has been connected to 3 different internet connections (with various routers) around the country, and 1 in Belgium, so there's no inherent flaw there...

I've tried, at various stages, knocking pretty much every variable out of the equation, and all I'm really left with is that the PS3 and router hate each other. Which seems unlikely.

I'm completely at a loss as to why the ONE thing in this house that isn't working is my PS3, so I throw myself upon your merciful bosom in the hope that someone can shed some light into my well of despair.

Any requests for more info will be happily answered, HALP HALP HALP.

gBpkw.jpg
Insanity on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First off, you don't need to turn off DHCP to run static IPs. So see if you can run it on a static IP.

Edit: Okay, have you tried wiping all lease information from the router itself?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    have you tried setting the DNS settings to some external source? there's a soluttion to this error at the playstation forums that fixes it that way, i don't know if it's something you've tried yet

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First off, you don't need to turn off DHCP to run static IPs. So see if you can run it on a static IP.

Edit: Okay, have you tried wiping all lease information from the router itself?

I've tried on static yeah, both while only giving the PS3 an IP and letting the DHCP server give it the DNS info, and giving it all the relevant info as static.

And yup, I've reset the router to factory defaults at least twice, and if that doesn't clear it out, god knows what will.

bsjezz wrote: »
    have you tried setting the DNS settings to some external source? there's a soluttion to this error at the playstation forums that fixes it that way, i don't know if it's something you've tried yet

I've tried a few DNS servers (4.2.2.2 being a favourite of mine for memorability), and it didn't solve it in my case. I get the feeling that the DNS error message is misleading, given that I can't connect to the router's web interface from the PS3's browser (http://192.168.0.0/), but I can connect to my PC's media server (http://192.168.0.1:31337). There's no DNS needed on the local network, so something else is being problematic somehow.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Insanity wrote: »
    given that I can't connect to the router's web interface from the PS3's browser (http://192.168.0.0/),

And there's your problem. The final "part" of the address (in this case, the final octet) cannot be 0. To be honest, I'm now left wondering how the hell your network is working in the first place!

Edit: And now, to explain this. IPv4 was created in a time where computation was expensive. As such, they needed a computationally cheap way to distinguish subnets, and the rule they used was that the zero address for the subnet acts as the demarcation for when the subnet starts. We've found that today, this has bit us in the ass as it's cut off whole sections of network addresses.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And there was me thinking 0 would reduce the overheads a little... trying it now.

Edit: And it's working! God bless you Hedgie.

Hooray internets!

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg