As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: Real Men Play With Candymancers

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    One doesn't *always* wish to eat poultry when helping young siblings with homework or other such activities. You would never be able to offer assistance to your young charges without having to stuff your face full of chicken.

Much discussion of poultry will happen before too long.

Unknown User on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    What'd they leave out? Is there an official and final ruleset list now? Where?

There are going to be 3 types at launch - Core, RP, and Open. RP is like Core, just with enforced thee's and thou's. Open isn't very open at all. While you can fight in the PvE areas, if you are lv 21 (3rd tier) and you choose to go back and help your level 20 friend (2nd tier) from being obliterated by 2 attackers, you'll turn into a chicken. The End. Now that -might- get tweaked, but no tweaking of this has been suggested from what I'm reading so far. Of course there is plenty of time for this to change.

EDIT here's also some other stuff that seems to go counter to an Open RvR mechanic, but I'm not comfortable going much further into the specifics.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Hey as long as you're rolling, when you're done with that, could you help me roll over my 401(k)?

from a pre-existing 401k or into a roth?

My understanding was that I couldn't roll a 401k into a Roth without the penalties outweighing the benefits?

SammyF on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doesn't MBJ go into more detail on an older WA thread?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game looks like it could be pretty good, the whole 20 classes thing and none of them being directly shared across factions is a neat change coming from WoW. I'm most interested in the magus, mostly cause being stuck to a flying disc seems kinda cool to me.

I just wish they would let me into the beta so I could get rid of the whole "party down the street and I'm not invited" feeling, like someone was talking about earlier.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Hey as long as you're rolling, when you're done with that, could you help me roll over my 401(k)?

My understanding was that I couldn't roll a 401k into a Roth without the penalties outweighing the benefits?

It really depends on how much you already have invested, where you have it invested and what kind of tax implications you would have for moving it. I have my retirement split into both a roth and a regular 401k (with more of it going to the regular) so if I ever have a life-crisis I can take it out from the roth at will without being fucked over by the IRS.

Unknown User on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    After reading the retarded metaphors on the last page, all I can say is I hope they remove the NDA soon for the sake of humanity and sanity.

grrarg on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hideo is proud of this thread I'm sure.

He compares it to be a nice fine beer after a long days work.

Cade on
    edited July 2008

It really depends on how much you already have invested, where you have it invested and what kind of tax implications you would have for moving it. I have my retirement split into both a roth and a regular 401k (with more of it going to the regular) so if I ever have a life-crisis I can take it out from the roth at will without being fucked over by the IRS.

I have a feeling you're a bit older than I am, I've invested practically nothing in my regular IRA at this point because I'm almost certain to get taxed on it at a higher rate later on. Right now I'm on a "buy and hold" strategy with some mutual funds because current market fundamentals don't respect intrinsic value; about 10% of my assets are in my Roth IRA, 35% are in regular mutual funds, 25% is in bond funds, and the remaining 30% is in either money markets or CDs--this last bit is the lump I keep around in case of a rainy day so I don't need to worry about market fluctations. Also, my broker insured the money market funds, and the CDs are FDIC insured. The interest and dividends get reinvested back into the down market in anticipation for it being "up" again in the next few years.

SammyF on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I have a feeling you're a bit older than I am, I've invested practically nothing in my regular IRA at this point because I'm almost certain to get taxed on it at a higher rate later on. Right now I'm on a "buy and hold" strategy with some mutual funds because current market fundamentals don't respect intrinsic value; about 10% of my assets are in my Roth IRA, 35% are in regular mutual funds, 25% is in bond funds, and the remaining 30% is in either money markets or CDs--this last bit is the lump I keep around in case of a rainy day so I don't need to worry about market fluctations. Also, my broker insured the money market funds, and the CDs are FDIC insured. The interest and dividends get reinvested back into the down market in anticipation for it being "up" again in the next few years.

What is going on here?

More WAR. Less financial counseling.

EDIT: FROM THIS PAGE ON - WAAAAGGHH! ONLY

Shens on
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if you noticed, but this thread is now 99 pages long and about basically nothing. It's lived a good, long life. Let's throw it an Irish Wake so we can start a new one when the NDA gets lifted and open beta starts. Where are the beer guys?

SammyF on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

What is going on here?

More WAR. Less financial counseling.

You fool! He's financing CHAOS!!!

Hembot on
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if you noticed, but this thread is now 99 pages long and about basically nothing. It's lived a good, long life. Let's throw it an Irish Wake so we can start a new one when the NDA gets lifted and open beta starts. Where are the beer guys?

I'd guess we're in the calm before the storm right now.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited July 2008

I'd guess we're in the eye of the storm right now.

!!!

Hembot on
    edited July 2008
    I'm actually only 25

I just happen to work somewhere that does that kind of stuff.

Unknown User on
    edited July 2008
    I take it back, you're actually several years younger than me. I work for a non-profit right now so my annual earning potential is far below where it's going to be when I get back into the private sector. It thus makes more sense for me to eat the taxes now and invest in the Roth so I can get get it out tax-free later. And since I want to buy a hosue when the market bottoms out on that later I'm trying to keep a fair chunk available for use within the next year.

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    i'd go on about the ability to deduct without tax penalty for buying a house etc but you probably already know that

Unknown User on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, WarHammer. Not FinanceHammer.

Although that would be an interesting game, I think Mr. Sushi has already purchased the rights to it.

That or someone else in his multinational media empire.

Oats on
    edited July 2008
    i'd go on about the ability to deduct without tax penalty for buying a house etc but you probably already know that

Yeah but between the down market and my non-profit earnings being lower than my private-sector earning potential, I'd rather pour money into it for the time being and let it explode when the economy starts growing again. I have enough set aside that I can probably afford to wait it out. Much like a Dwarf waiting with his stuntie bretheren as the Orkz feebly hurl themselves at his gates.

HAPPY OATWAY?!

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    look all im saying is now is the proper time to start looking at khorne as a viable option for a long term investment.

Unknown User on
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So before the thread dies, what is this RvR stuff I keep hearing about?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah but between the down market and my non-profit earnings being lower than my private-sector earning potential, I'd rather pour money into it for the time being and let it explode when the economy starts growing again. I have enough set aside that I can probably afford to wait it out. Much like a Dwarf waiting with his stuntie bretheren as the Orkz feebly hurl themselves at his gates.

HAPPY OATWAY?!
    Says right here that the economy grew 3.3% last quarter.

Fairchild on
  • Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    is this the last post of this fine old thread?

Super_Happy on
    edited July 2008
    I have the new OP ready to go, just sayin.

Unknown User on
    edited July 2008
    Children wrote: »
    So before the thread dies, what is this RvR stuff I keep hearing about?

Think integrated PvP, PvE, items, quests, cities, and the ability to attack 15th century Germans with a tiny green goblin who speaks with a Cockney accent.

That's about half of it.

And thusly it shall inspire Lots of Worthwhile Content and the people shall by Happy.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »

HAPPY OATWAY?!
    Says right here that the economy grew 3.3% last quarter.

Okay. If you'd like to use a source other than Wikipedia, I recommend the Bureau of Economic Analysis, a subdivision of the United States Department of Commerce.

Um, waaaagh.

edit: it's occured to me that you may have meant the Current Dollar GDP grew by 3.2%. Which is true. "Current Dollar GDP" is a nice way of saying "we didn't adjust for inflation so this number is essentially meaningless."

SammyF on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Those would be the 1st Quarter results. Last quarter was 2nd quarter. Quarter means 1/4 of the year, or every 3 months. Wikipedia says so.

Fairchild on
    edited July 2008
    I closed my window with the new OP.

whoops.jpg

time for bed

Unknown User on
    edited July 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Those would be the 1st Quarter results. Last quarter was 2nd quarter. Quarter means 1/4 of the year, or every 3 months. Wikipedia says so.

Did Wikipedia forget to mention that numbers on Q2 FY2008 won't be released until Thursday?

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    Guys, WarHammer. Not FinanceHammer.

Although that would be an interesting game, I think Mr. Sushi has already purchased the rights to it.

That or someone else in his multinational media empire.

In FinanceHammer, Age of Enron:

- Squig Herder become CPA's!
    - Witch hunters go to law school!
    - Disciples of Khaine start a chain of laundromats! (see greenskins)
    - Money Laundering is now a shared ability for all greenskins!
    - PQ's will be converted into class action lawsuits.
    - Abbacus will be the Tier 1 weapon of choice. Tier 2 will be a pocket calculator!
    - Dwarves will provide a steady backbone for the economy with their gold!
    - Dark Elves will wear flashy business suits!
    - Customize the width of your lapels!

Hembot on
    edited July 2008
    Now, see, if Orc accountants argued, this is what they would sound like.

Fairchild on
    edited July 2008
    The ass-end of an Ork pelt ("greenbackz") would be the standard currency of the land.

SammyF on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

And thusly it shall inspire Lots of Worthwhile Content and the people shall by Happy.

Your mind truly has been forfeited to the Gods of Chaos.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    *stares at the money talk*

What've I done? ><

I guess this is why they don't let jews into betas.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    Most useful thread ever.

Funny place to learn some of this stuff, though.

And they said u didnt learn shit from video games. hah.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Most useful thread ever.

They certainly don't teach people good grammar.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited July 2008
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Most useful thread ever.

Quit judging us, Goldberg. :P

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    that's GoldSTEIN (would have also accepted goldMAN, goldMANOVICH, and Goldmanbergovich)

So who is going to play an engineer? I am tempted oh so tempted.
    Who wants to share a beta key with me?

Also, confirm/deny

Some schlub in AOC told me his friend was in the WAR beta and said, "They took out half the content and what is left is bugged to hell"

Anyone confirm or deny? Is war going to be another AOC heartbreak?

eatmosushi on
    edited July 2008
    thats the funniest retarded rumor ive ever heard

Unknown User on
This discussion has been closed.