As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Art of War: Miniature Modelling and Painting

• The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I think this should be either Booma or Gargrim's personal ride. :P

Were that the case, the top deck would have to be a huge lounge area. Plenty of comfortable seats, with high quality leather upholstery, a well-stocked mini-fridge (finest squig pies around), and a ladder to the ground, in case whoever's inside wants to get down to go krump some heads.

Probably a fireplace, too.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Were that the case, the top deck would have to be a huge lounge area. Plenty of comfortable seats, with high quality leather upholstery, a well-stocked mini-fridge (finest squig pies around), and a ladder to the ground, in case whoever's inside wants to get down to go krump some heads.

Oh god, and a sign that says "Top Hats Only" which means all orks there need Top Hats and monocles modeled on them.

I'm glad someone else agrees.

Sharp101 on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Oh god, and a sign that says "Top Hats Only" which means all orks there need Top Hats and monocles modeled on them.

I'm glad someone else agrees.

They'd probably be having a literature reading.

"...They suggested I should be sent to Petersburg to the Cadet Corps, that I might afterwards enter the Imperial Guard. My mother hesitated for a long time, it was awful to part with her only child, but she made up her mind to it at last, though not without many tears, believing she was acting for ..."
    BOOOOM!!!
    "Oh bother. Excuse me for a moment, I'll go deal with that..."
    *climbs down ladder*
    "WAAAAAGH!!!"

((Incidentally, I just chose a random excerpt from the first fancy book that came to mind, The Brothers Karamazov, and it somehow logically fits into the 40k universe. Weird.))

The Lord of Hats on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's my in-progress paintup of Lord Commander Stryker, aka Darth Stryker. When painting him up, I decided to explore the Darth Stryker angle some more. An hour and a half and a coat of badab black later...

I gave the guy an Anakin Skywalker-styled scar but it didn't show up too well. I'm gonna redo it.
    P1140281.jpg
    P1140280.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ein, you had the right idea earlier:

Turrets ontop of turrets.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, I need som advice on how to paint rock. Prefferably with basic colours like skull white, bleached bone and chaos black. I´d like to add some stones to my space marine bases. Should I use real pebbles, or just cut some plastic from the sprues into good shapes?

Also, I need to paint the rock base for my space marine chaplain with jump pack.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Niklas on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bark makes really nice lightweight rock bases, especially Pine bark in my experience. A nice easy way is to undercoat black, and then drybrush with a couple of layers of successively lighter greys.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited July 2008
    Ah, thanks Asher.

I´ll go bark-hunting.

Niklas on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, in my quest to make looted Bosspoles, I'm trying to find some sort of Tau banner. I could've sworn I saw a twin-flag thingy, but I can't find it anywhere on Battlewagon Bits. Is there something I can use, or must I resort to trying for Chaos Trophy Poles and hoping I get one with a Fire Warrior helm?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • zatarzatar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, I accidentally bought an ork trukk, and began painting it before I went on vacation, didn't finish it then though, but mostly finished now. Need some cleaning up and detailing work, but I'll think I dare to post a picture here. :)

Trukk1lo.jpg

I did remember that I had one of the old trukks stored away somewhere, I did think it was bigger than this, looks like grots driving... has orks gotten bigger over the years?

comp1lo.jpg

zatar on
    Playing as Tvisling Draygo on Europa-Farstar
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well the old trukk was a gorkamorka kit.

J on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gorkamorka orks were much smaller, and also had smaller bases to fit more of them onto the backs of vehicles.
    Nice new trukk by the way :^:

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited July 2008
    Yeah Zatar, nice work.

Niklas on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd ink, dirty up, and/or dry-brush the red on that trukk but other than that it's absolutely perfect.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Two more Slaaneshi Marines down, one of which a member of my unit of combat drug (amongst other things) overdosed Slaaneshi Berserkers. Also found the right settings to take decent pics with my current lighting arrangement.
    child1.jpg

child2.jpg

And with their other friend.
    chilld3.jpg

-SPI- on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ace!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They look awesome

J on
  • MonisMonis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just started painting an army of Tau. My first 40k army, and this is actually the first time I've painted something in months lol. I'm still new to this and I haven't actually ever played a game of warhammer (fantasy or 40k) yet. So yeah, I only have 2 minis painted and I have quite a bit more to go, I have 1 fire warrior team, a stealth suit team, an XV8 battle suit and a devilfish...which is broken...but I'll paint it anyway lol.
    IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0296.jpg

Monis on
    userbar469626nx5.gif
    FleshWound16.png
  • RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thats a solid start for your first two minis, Monis! Think about taking the time to glue some sand and static grass onto your bases. You will find that makes them look SOOOO much nicer!

I'm finally done with my Vermin Lord, after months of work. All I gotta do is base the thing and get a-painting!
    VL3.jpg
    VL4.jpg

cheers!

-R

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you send that in to GW, you might get a job offer...

Very nice!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited July 2008
    So, my first tactical squad of ten space marines is finally fully assembled and painted! I really learned a lot and hope to improve on my second one. Also, I will soon start painting my chaplain with jump pack. Really looking forward to that!

Say hello to the guys.

Pictures spoilered for size:
    0003622a
    00037a23
    00038zx2

Niklas on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monis - that's pretty damn good work for your first two minis. Keep it up!

Rubberchrist - I'm really excited to see the finished article and even more so about seeing it painted.

Niklas - those are fantastic.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2008
    Since I was quite unhappy with the GW "primer" spray, I picked up a quite expensive black primer from Vallejo, however I´m not feeling good about the result with this new one either. The color clogs up the details on my miniatures in a horrible way. I´m wondering if anyone of you guys have similar experience with Vallejo Primers, and maybe some advice on how to avoid it.

I shook the can for et least two minutes, and sprayed at a distance of approx. 25-30 cm.

It´s really pissing me off, since I want to spray my chaplain soon, and it would break my heart to see the miniature destroyed by the primer.

Niklas on
    edited July 2008
    You're pointing at the models from one static position and not moving the can. Am I right?

If so, practise on some cardboard (or as I'd prefer, some obscured backwall/railway car/cement retaining wall), on making smooth, easy lines back and forth on that. The idea is to go back and forth without letting the paint build up in any one spot so much so that it runs, drips down, etc.

fake edit: using the 99c cans of spray and never had an issue crew checking in, :booyah:

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Thanks Leaf, it worked out well with the chaplain. I first primed it with Vallejo black primer, and then used badab black wash to get the texture I wanted.

Niklas on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, give up on the idea of getting a perfect black on the armpits/collar/groin area. Its better to take a few seconds to touch up those areas with a brush than clog the detail.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited July 2008
    I usually rotate the model, I generally hit it from the four cardinal directions, first at a downwards angle at the model, then hold the model in pliers (or usually just my bare hand) and spray it an upwards angle. Each pass of spray I do no more than 2-3 times before letting it dry and trying again to get a difficult spot. This way I can usually get the entire thing covered in black, and never have to bother with actually brushing any sort of black on.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I ventured into a Walmart for the first time today. Man, was that place overwhelmingly huge. Anyways, since I needed to replace my beloved Tamiya sprays, I wandered over to the paint section, and grabbed some Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer and Black spray. Is this the right type of Krylon to use on models?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    More Badab Black goodness.
    P1140331.jpg

Now to highlight and add in details!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    New Standard Bearer. Check it out!
    PlagueMonkStandard.jpg

-R

Rubberchrist on
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    edited July 2008
    He's got a hell of a left arm to one-hand that thing.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    New Standard Bearer. Check it out!
    PlagueMonkStandard.jpg

-R

I demand moar pictars of your skaven unit.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited July 2008
    Got back to painting my long gunners again, now did the UA's Lieutenant.
    P1140342.jpg
    P1140343.jpg

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited July 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    He's got a hell of a left arm to one-hand that thing.

Yeah, All my standard bearers are pretty much strength 12.

@Ageri, ask and ye shall receive. Here is my clanrats, my Giant Rats unit
    StandardBearer.jpg

GiantRatsDisplay.jpg

-R

Rubberchrist on
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My first real attempt at painting anything to any quality. Please citique and give suggestions I would love to get up to the level that the rest of the gang in here paints at.

DSCF9676.jpg

alqadim on
    edited July 2008
    Rubberchrist; those look awesome.

alqadim: nice! I like it. Maybe you could make some more distinctive highlights on the guardsmen. Thats what I´m trying to accomplish on my own miniatures, at least.

Niklas on
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like. Not too keen on the blue trimmed bases though - they're a bit... distracting.

Lezta on
    edited July 2008
    alqadim; one thing just popped up in my mind. Is the gravel on your bases painted? If not, you should really prime it and drybrush afterwards. Myself, I drybrush with scorched earth and calthan brown before adding some static grass to it. It´s quite rewarding and easy.

Niklas on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lezta wrote: »
    I like. Not too keen on the blue trimmed bases though - they're a bit... distracting.

I agree - keep your base color in the same palette as your based terrain - so in your case, a scorched brown, maybe a dark flesh tone - unless of course, you have a more exacting reason in your head - they look good though.

You know, I just had a thought. I wonder how weird it would look if y you painted your bases a certain color, to indicate things like troops, or fast attack, or heavy support. You could, at a glance, know what you have. I mean, it flies in the face of just about everything out there for GW - still. I wonder.

3lwap0 on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Loving the brown on those IG, and maybe it's bad photos, but I really feel like the green could use some more variation. Maybe a wash or two to break up the monotone color. Otherwise, really well done.

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.