As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Hold Me, Thrill Me, Mule Me, Teach Me - Or don't

dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
First let me apologize for me being a huge noob regarding both WoW and MMOs in general.

This friday, however, I will, for the first time, try a ten day trial of WoW with the hope of enjoying it enough to start playing the game regularly. I therefore wonder if there is anyone interested in "introducing" me to the game? I'm not talking about teaching me how to play but maybe act as a social introduction to the game, I don't know, maybe mule me for a little tiny bit? All forms of social interaction are very welcome!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dr0neboy on

• EriEri Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You'd probably want to post and ask general questions in here

All wanginess aside, the game starts you out really easy as you start a new character.

Eri on
    RcvUk.gif
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Leave the tutorial tips turned on for a while, as they do tell you some useful things, before they grow so aggravating that you have a psychotic episode.

The same thing, believe it or not, with those little tips that appear on the loading screens. They inform you about game tricks and details that I wish I'd known when I was starting out.

Fairchild on
  • dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eri wrote: »
    You'd probably want to post and ask general questions in here

All wanginess aside, the game starts you out really easy as you start a new character.

Yeah, I've actually been more successful in that tread getting people to introduce me. Thanks though.

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Leave the tutorial tips turned on for a while, as they do tell you some useful things, before they grow so aggravating that you have a psychotic episode.

The same thing, believe it or not, with those little tips that appear on the loading screens. They inform you about game tricks and details that I wish I'd known when I was starting out.

Sounds like solid advice! Will be sure to leave the tips on. Thanks!

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    dr0neboy, I will introduce you to the game on my main server, Silvermoon. Are you more interested in PvE or PvP server though? Because if you wanna be able to walk through contested territory and kill the low leveled players for whatever reason, I can show you the game on a PvP server too, Dark Iron to be exact. :< Lemme know!

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Since you seem to be Swedish and as such, European, I would recommend starting on the new Blade's Edge realm. It has only been up for a few weeks and unlike on most other, older realms there's actually a lot of people doing the level 1-70 content.

reVerse on
    edited July 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Since you seem to be Swedish and as such, European, I would recommend starting on the new Blade's Edge realm. It has only been up for a few weeks and unlike on most other, older realms there's actually a lot of people doing the level 1-70 content.

I will take that in consideration.

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Because if you wanna be able to walk through contested territory and kill the low leveled players for whatever reason, I can show you the game on a PvP server too, Dark Iron to be exact. :< Lemme know!

Yeah, because the only reason people ever pick PVP servers is to grief players who have no chance in hell of fighting back. Nice introduction.

PVE servers allow you to flag for PVP when you want, avoiding said griefers and allowing you to quest in peace. With the amount of assholes there are in the game I'd highly suggest you roll on this kind of server.

If you like to live life on the edge, you could roll a PVP server and have the chance to have some exciting PVP combat as you quest. This kind of setting is much more fun, but because of the way the game works PVP servers are more or less just a free ticket to get your character one shotted and camped by bored level capped 12 year olds. It's a decision you'll have to make.

SabinXL on
    edited July 2008
    I think I'll exclusively play PvE, at least now in the beginning.

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I play on a PvP server so I can murder night elf hunters who think they have the right to mine any of the ore in Nagrand.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dr0neboy wrote: »
    I think I'll exclusively play PvE, at least now in the beginning.

If you're going to play a cloth class, do not go on a PvP. You will want to do horrible things to anyone who plays Rogue and if you manage to hit 70 you will be a bitter, broken shell of a man.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Italax did you ever finish your LP of DX?

Dhalphir on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Italax did you ever finish your LP of DX?

No, I got to Everett and then had exams and by the time I remembered it there didn't seem much point in continuing. Hell, my second to last video had me rambling about what I thought the Indiana Jones film would be like.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    shame, that was an awesome LP

Dhalphir on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey wait a minute, I leveled a clothie on a PvP server all the way to 70. And I don't feel like a bitter, broken shell...

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    your clothie was a warlock, normal rules don't apply

Dhalphir on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I rolled a mage and a warlock on a pvp server, and both seemed fine to me.

My warlock did have a bit of an edge though, due to fear.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you mileage may vary on PvP realms

depends on how bored the opposing faction is, how many of them there are, how easily frustrated you get, if you find joy in killing other people, and how good your in-game friends are.

I levelled first on a PVE realm, then on a PVP realm. I went back to level my then 58 mage to 70 on the PVE realm and found it sooo booring. Also having no recourse to stop alliance from stealing my mining node was the straw on the camel's back.

I regret having that mage on a PVE realm now, but it was a good way to learn the game.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that's a good point. I think key bonus for me is, I'm not easily frustrated, and I'm willing to go somewhere else if I have to.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I levelled a Mage up on a new PVP server that had queues to enter the entire time I played on it (about a year). It was great fun after having spent a year on PVE. It wasn't all about ganking, but that was a nice side part of the experience. You could, if you wanted, dump the PVE for 5 minutes and go after someone, or vice versa

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, my first experience on a PvE realm was during one of the test realms. It was so... boring.

I actually enjoy having to look over my shoulder all the time. It's breaks up to monotony of: Collect 20 troll ears. 13 - 14 - 15, why am I stunned, wtf? Oh no you did-int stupid rogue...

Then again, my first class was rogue and she was parked in every zone I leveled my priest. Revenge was swift.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There was a guild on Frostmourne called "Don't make me get my main". Always cracked me up, and they did.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!