As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RUMOR - Microsoft to purchase Capcom?

SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
The rumor mill is running as I've seen from a few sources that Microsoft may have purchased or are planning to purchase Capcom. It seems like EGM is the ultimate source of the rumor so who knows about the validity. It was brought up on EvilAvatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23730&) and on Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-to-buy-capcom--27845.phtml) and however unlikely it may seem, it could very well be true.

I personally think this would be a great move for Microsoft to say the least. Keeping games exclusive to the 360 like Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 will be a great way to encourage sales in Japan and it will also stop me from having to buy a ps3 for DMC4 :wink: .

I'm hoping this is true. The Xbox 360 is my favorite console right now and Capcom is far and away my favorite developer/publisher.

What's everyone else think?

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
SlayerVin on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope not.

If they do, I hope they're still able to make handheld games for Nintendo. I dunno what I'd do if Megaman left my DS. :(

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft should bring back Clover too...

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That would suck ass. Limiting Capcom's games to the XBOX360 and PC (Capcom is a console developer through and through) would suck. It would suck. Hard. Just no.

Noray on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It would be a terrible thing. Fuck Microsoft and fuck Capcom if they go through with it.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shut your filthy mouth and never open it again.

Fencingsax on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    I hope not.

If they do, I hope they're still able to make handheld games for Nintendo. I dunno what I'd do if Megaman left my DS. :(

MechAssault is on the DS. So is Age of Empires.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i really dont see them pulling DMC4 off the PS3

Deusfaux on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    I hope not.

Yes, but this doesn't always happen.

They could put something in their contract saying they cannot do that. I'm just saying that I hope they don't.

Legacy on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Noray wrote:
    That would suck ass. Limiting Capcom's games to the XBOX360 and PC (Capcom is a console developer through and through) would suck. It would suck. Hard. Just no.
    why would it suck?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    I hope not.

Yeah if Microsoft does buy Capcom I don't think it would necessarily mean that Capcom would be restricted in developing for a system that has no direct competition from Microsoft.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    why would it suck?

Not everyone has or wants a 360.
    SlayerVin wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    I hope not.

Yeah if Microsoft does buy Capcom I don't think it would necessarily mean that Capcom would be restricted in developing for a system that has no direct competition from Microsoft.

I'm not saying it does, but there is the potential for it to happen. Also, the Zune is supposed to start playing games someday, y'know...

Legacy on
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not everyone wants a 360.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    why would it suck?

Not everyone has or wants a 360.
    okay, but that doesn't make the games suck. It's an inconvenience, not an affront.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No, this would be totally awesome, because Rare has made nothing but great games since Microsoft bought them.

Captain K on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    if they buy Capcom and let them do whatever, I'll be happy.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

Yes but lots of people already have them.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    No, this would be totally awesome, because Rare has made nothing but great games since Microsoft bought them.

But we all know the REAL Rare was never bought by MS though, so it's a little different

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SlayerVin wrote:
    Eteric wrote:

Yes but lots of people already have them.

Lot's of people have Wiis, DSs and GBAs too.

Fencingsax on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Viva Pinata was one of the best games of 2006.

And Rare was sucking wind on the Cube before Microsoft bought them, so its not like the transaction is what caused the slumph.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Ok kids, now if you look to your left you just might get a glimpse of the elusive fanboy... Oh! It would appear some of them have come out of their darkened lairs to feed upon a rumor. Notice their sloping brows and hairy knuckles... Don't make eye contact though, children! The last thing you want is t...

BILLY! Stop pulling Jill's hair!"

CyberJackal on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darleysam wrote:
    Noray wrote:
    why would it suck?

Because he hasn't adopted the religion of the wii60 yet.

Don't worry, because soon, they ALL WILL.

However, I don't see why this would change, well, anything, besides fucking over Sony good, which I hear is ALL the rage now...

The Wii won't suddenly have no good games, and the 360 will get a solid developer.

Wii60 people, join or be DOMINATED!

Transporter on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Ok kids, now if you look to your left you just might get a glimpse of the elusive fanboy... Oh! It would appear some of them have come out of their darkened lairs to feed upon a rumor. Notice their sloping brows and hairy knuckles... Don't make eye contact though, children! The last thing you want is t...

[/thread]

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

I really don't think you can lay that failure at MS's door.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

But we all know the REAL Rare was never bought by MS though, so it's a little different
    Ah, so then Capcom would splinter in half, the retarded step-child company that retains its name putting out shitty games for the next few years, and its talented developers leaving to vanish into obscurity? Great!

Anyway, I won't buy this until I hear an official announcement. Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo; buying Capcom, a company not already owned by any other game companies, would be a much different prospect.

Captain K on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Yeah well that would be the fucking point of the buy, wouldn't it?

Hoz on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wasn't microsoft set to buy nintendo too?

microsoft buys * company rumor seems to happen every other day.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't want to have to buy a 360 to play Megaman and Resident Evil games.

Hence why I'd hate it if they bought them.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this is like microsoft buying bungie

full doom ahead

Deusfaux on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    wasn't microsoft set to buy nintendo too?

microsoft buys * company rumor seems to happen every other day.

They weren't set. Some guy just predicted they would do so in 5 years and I think Gates said if Nintendo would offer they would buy in a heartbeat.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited January 2007

This rumor may come off as a bit fanboy-ish, but I'm happily entrenched in impartiality with 18 DS games, 33 ps2 games, and 3 xbox 360 games.

I've been a staunch Nintendo-supporter my whole life, a deep sadness welled in my heart when Sony drop kicked Nintendo in the face with the PS1. But at this point, I've come to realize "who the fuck cares?". I want to play good games. The xbox 360 is a good platform and Capcom is an amazing company. I doubt Capcom's quality will be changed by Microsoft.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wait..

...and no one has made an 'in 5 years' joke?

what the hell is going on?

oh, and if they do, I will be very unhappy, but it will seal the deal on me buying a 360.

LewieP on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    I don't want to have to buy a 360 to play Megaman and Resident Evil games.

Hence why I'd hate it if they bought them.
    Hence, why Microsoft doesn't give a shit. They want you to buy the 360. And they're reading this right now. You've doomed Capcom. Good job.

Hoz on
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    And Rare was sucking wind on the Cube before Microsoft bought them, so its not like the transaction is what caused the slumph.
    I really don't think you can lay that failure at MS's door.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know there were other factors. You bums taking the wind out of my point's sails.

Captain K on
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would hate this, cos I'm unlikely to ever be able to get afford a 360, and when capcom brought Resident Evil to the game I was all over it. I would hate to lose my Resident Evils (and the Megamans too).

Of course, it doesnt sound very likely.

Hybrid on
  • swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

You're right, they have; Conkers, Kameo, PDZ and Viva Pinata have all been good games.

I wouldn't mind MS buying Capcom, it would certainly be a good move to get a better hold on Japan but i really can't see it happening.

swift on
    nexx360.png
    edited January 2007
    SlayerVin wrote:

This rumor may come off as a bit fanboy-ish, but I'm happily entrenched in impartiality with 18 DS games, 33 ps2 games, and 3 xbox 360 games.
    \.

Not to mention the GC games, and Wii games upcoming. See, shit like the fact that they develop for every system is why they are probably not going to let themselves be bought.

Fencingsax on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This isn't going to happen.

Meiz on
    edited January 2007
    I thought the Japanese would like NEVER let an american company buy them out or some shit like that.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought the Japanese would like NEVER let an american company buy them out or some shit like that.
    pretty much, a hostile takeover could occur, but they would probably prefer to go bankrupt, and anyway, capcom arent in a weak position financially (based on decent sales, but mainy they have alot of valueable ip, they could auction off resident evil/tales.../megaman to cover any debts they have at any time)

LewieP on
  • chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I predict there will be many 50+ hour bushido marathon gaming session suicides in Japan, ala Korea.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png