As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
I know some of you may think I hate DC, but it's not true! In fact I want to talk about one of the best things going on at DC right now in my opinion.

SM-Cv680_solicit.jpg

wait that's not right

AC-Cv867_solicit-1.jpg

YEAH! Fuckin' Superman!

He's got two main titles at the moment, Superman and Action Comics, by James Robinson and Geoff Johns respectively.

And starting in October, spinning out of Geoff Johns' Braniac story going on in Action Comics right now (its so good) they will crossing over in a big Superman story called NEW KRYPTON.

Also apparently Geoff Johns' protege is the new writer of this book:

SG-Cv34.jpg

and they have big plans to incorporate her into the Superman mythos, and make her a part of his books. I remain somewhat skeptical but hope they can make it work.

Lets talk about Superman dudes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Balefuego on

• SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's a pretty awesome picture of Krypto. Where's it from?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Upcoming cover to SUPERMAN.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Action Comics has been really awesome recently. Braniac is good, but the Toyman issue that preceded it is probably one of the best comics I've read this year.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Action Comics has been fucking awesome.

I'm kind of liking Superman itself too. The art on it, while not quite as good as in AC, is still pretty solid. The writing is kind of decent too, but Superman's dialog is a bit weird.

Mai-Kero on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you see Power Girl as having a role in your Superman universe? Johns: "She's kind of separate from our plans right now."

Dang. I was (still am) really hoping she'd become Superwoman

I don't know why she isn't more involved in Superman stories

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How does one get to be Geoff Johns' protege?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wish Joshua Middleton would do interiors on Supergirl

that shit would be bought so hard

Sars_Boy on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I'm surprised that Jamal Igle hasn't had any ongoing projects until this lately. I think his work here will be great, judging by the character design on that cover.

I don't currently read anything that features Superman, so I think I'm going to try and track down backissues for the Braniac arc in Action Comics at the least.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I never really understood the "Man of Tomorrow" thing

deadonthestreet on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I'm surprised that Jamal Igle hasn't had any ongoing projects until this lately. I think his work here will be great, judging by the character design on that cover.

I don't currently read anything that features Superman, so I think I'm going to try and track down backissues for the Braniac arc in Action Comics at the least.

It's only been a couple issues so far, so you shouldnt have too much trouble

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, since this is a Superman thread, I think it would be appropriate to put together a "must read" list of Superman graphic novels.

My list would include the following:

-Superman For All Seasons
    -Superman: Birthright
    -Superman Red Son
    -Superman For Tomorrow
    -Death of Superman
    -World Without Superman
    -Return of Superman
    -All-Star Superman Volume 1 (don't miss volume 2 when it is released!)
    -Superman: Camelot Falls

Also, there are a lot of other good books out there, which feature Superman and should be noted:

-New Frontier
    -Identity Crisis
    -The Dark Knight Returns
    -Kingdom Come
    -DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore

I need to make special mention of the Alan Moore Stories. In the book mentioned above, it contains several Superman stories which are quite amazing. Of course they are, they're written by Alan Moore. The stories are: "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" parts 1 & 2.

Lastly, as Bale said in his original post, the current story arc of Action Comics has been great. If anyone is looking for a good jumping-on point, I would suggest picking up the back issues for the first couple books of this arc.

Lucascraft on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Are there Science Police in Metropolis in the present? I just noticed that in the article on that cover.

JoeUser on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Must read" and FOR TOMORROW should never be near each other. Unless you're just looking at the pictures.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well, since this is a Superman thread, I think it would be appropriate to put together a "must read" list of Superman graphic novels.

My list would include the following:

-Superman For All Seasons
    -Superman: Birthright
    -Superman Red Son
    -Superman For Tomorrow
    -Death of Superman
    -World Without Superman
    -Return of Superman
    -All-Star Superman Volume 1 (don't miss volume 2 when it is released!)
    -Superman: Camelot Falls

Also, there are a lot of other good books out there, which feature Superman and should be noted:

-New Frontier
    -Identity Crisis
    -The Dark Knight Returns
    -Kingdom Come
    -DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore

Here's a couple of more:

Byrne's Man of Steel
    Action Comics 775 - Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice & The American Way (not sure on the actual title, but it should be close to this)
    Superman v2 #22 - Superman Kills Zod
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
    JLA: The Nail (fits in the feature Superman category)

KVW on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2008
    Superman: Up, Up, and Away was awesome and was, without a doubt, the best story to come out of OYL

Garlic Bread on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's not saying much considering what it's up against for that title.

Though it was pretty good.

deadonthestreet on
  • The JokerThe Joker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to have to buy that Krypto issue...Krypto is fucking awesome.

The Joker on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Must read Superman GN list and no Superman: Secret Identity? Cmon people, its a great book.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Secret Identity is a great, beautiful book.

I'm really excited for the upcoming Superman event - including Supergirl. I hope Brainiac isn't too similar to what they did with Toyman. I hope the twist is more than, "I built all the previous versions you've seen in the past 70 years"

Lux on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Am I the only one terribly creeped out by that Super-girl picture?

So, here's a blast from the past - How did they explain away Blue Lightning Super-man? The one that could have bullets pass through him, and was mortal as Clark Kent, and was Fucking BLUE?

ANTVGM64 on
    edited July 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

So, here's a blast from the past - How did they explain away Blue Lightning Super-man? The one that could have bullets pass through him, and was mortal as Clark Kent, and was Fucking BLUE?

They split him in two and made one red. You can ask someone else about how they explained away the red AND blue ones.

KVW on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Some higher power rewarded him for his efforts in a forgettable mega-event by returning him to his old form. Literal deus ex machina.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2008
    Ah.

Did the mega-event involve the words Crisis, Final or Infiniate?

Whenever I think of those my nose begins to bleed.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited July 2008
    Ah.

Did the mega-event involve the words Crisis, Final or Infiniate?

Whenever I think of those my nose begins to bleed.

It was called something like Millennium Giants.

KVW on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the topic of 90s superman arcs, either just before or just after the costume change, I used to read along religiously.

There was an arc where superman was trapped in timespace or something, and each of his monthlies (I think there were either three or four) would portray him in a different era. One was during WWII, and had Superman fighting the Nazis. One was set vaguely in the silver age. One was set at the beginning of the Bronze age, in the 70s. The last one was set in the distant future, with an ancestor of Superman's.

I kept up through the whole series, but somehow I fucked up at the end and to this day I don't know what the arc was called, nor who was responsible for the whole thing or why it happened. Does anyone know the story arc I'm talking about?

HadjiQuest on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I do. Do you want me to post spoilers?

Wildcat on
    edited July 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    On the topic of 90s superman arcs, either just before or just after the costume change, I used to read along religiously.

There was an arc where superman was trapped in timespace or something, and each of his monthlies (I think there were either three or four) would portray him in a different era. One was during WWII, and had Superman fighting the Nazis. One was set vaguely in the silver age. One was set at the beginning of the Bronze age, in the 70s. The last one was set in the distant future, with an ancestor of Superman's.

I kept up through the whole series, but somehow I fucked up at the end and to this day I don't know what the arc was called, nor who was responsible for the whole thing or why it happened. Does anyone know the story arc I'm talking about?

Superman: Time and Time Again

Woo, Dan Jurgens, Roger Stern and Jerry Ordway!

JoeUser on
    edited July 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Superman: Time and Time Again

Woo, Dan Jurgens, Roger Stern and Jerry Ordway!

I'm looking at that, and I'm still not sure if it's the right one. It seems to be from earlier than I could've followed, plus I don't remember any dinosaur stories, and I'm pretty sure the superman I read had no idea he was trapped in time warp, so the issues played out just like a normal issue from its respective era would've.

The arc I'm looking for is from between 97 and 2000.

Wildcat, were you thinking of the same arc?

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2008
    The one I was thinking of was from around 98, I'm not sure of the title but one site I was checking unofficially had it as 'Dominus means troubles'.

From the Superman Site:
    All of a sudden we have Supermen appearing in different points in time in seemingly parallel timelines: '60s, '70s, '40s and 2999. In 1938, while defeating the Nazis, Superman and Lois embrace in a kiss that brings reality back to what it should be. But not if Dominus can do something about it! Superman is shaken out of the 2999 reality and all 4 realities merge into the one proper reality thanks to Kismet. Dominus soon attacks Kismet and Superman appears powerless to stop him. Superman is approached by Dominus in the guise of WaveRider, and is tricked into going on a search for the wounded Kismet who secretly continues to recover in his old house standing in Hypersector part of Metropolis. The real Waverider steps in and alters time to help Superman save Kismet from the grasps of Dominus

Wildcat on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Wildcat's right. From the DC Database project:

It apparently spanned a bunch of Super books.

"Superman: The Man of Steel" #80-83 focussed on WWII era
    "The Adventures of Superman" #558-560 was set in the Silver Age
    "Action Comics" 745-747 was set in the late 1970s
    "Superman" #136-137 was set in the distant future

JoeUser on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I stopped reading Superman since the whole Cir-el debacle.

I know this is incredibly stupid, but it's been 8 years and Superman's backstory is still a mess. Some Pre Crisis stuff is in there, the good stuff I loved about Post Crisis is out, why do you ignore Linda and Matrix!!, etc. I will admit tho that Up, Up and Away is one of the best Superman stories I've read in years. I have to pick up some of the recent Geoff Johns stories.

I wish they would clear that up tho. I just don't want to accept Birthright.

EDIT:

Time and Time Again is one of my favorite Superman stories. Add the first two Eradicator stories and the Exile Saga.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's reasons like that that I choose to completely ignore continuity. I have a mind's eye view (MEV) of a character. What stories enhance that mind's eye of view, I allow entrance to my mind's canon of that character. What stories don't, I do not.

For example, my mind's eye view of the Hulk looks like pretty much like Tim Sale's and acts roughly like Ang Lee's. If a really good story portrays him in a shitty art-form, I ignore the presentation and imagine it using my MEV. So, if there were hypothetically speaking a good Hulk story drawn by Finch (whose artwork I occasionally dig, but whose Hulk I have no interest in), I imagine my MEV of Sale's Hulk thrusting around like Ang Lee's. When I see Hulk in a tanktop with a middlepart, holding a gun? I ignore that shit whether its canon or not because it would taint my personal perception of the character.

That being said, multiple MEV's can exist for a single character, like Miller's Batman is a completely different character in my head, than say, Dini's. This allows me to be able to appreciate them both on different levels without having to think, "that's stupid. batman wouldn't do that."

It just seems to me that being able to appreciate a good story is more important that having a believable, coherant universe of intermingled characters handled by a ton of different writers and artists---that just can't be done.

Are other comic readers like that? Do you guys do similar things?

Unrelated, the abundance of shit like this is one of the many reasons comics get so little respect:
    Superman and Lois embrace in a kiss that brings reality back to what it should be. But not if Dominus can do something about it! Superman is shaken out of the 2999 reality and all 4 realities merge into the one proper reality thanks to Kismet. Dominus soon attacks Kismet and Superman appears powerless to stop him. Superman is approached by Dominus in the guise of WaveRider, and is tricked into going on a search for the wounded Kismet who secretly continues to recover in his old house standing in Hypersector part of Metropolis. The real Waverider steps in and alters time to help Superman save Kismet from the grasps of Dominus

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2008
    Yes!

That's the arc!

I've been casually trying to find out what it was, on-and-off, ever since it ended ten years ago!

It's good to know. I had the three issues from each of the four books where he was in different times, but for some reason I was never able to get any of the books that resolved the arc.

Not that it matters, because none of those characters in that summary ring a bell.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2008
    Good, glad you found it!

Wildcat on
    edited July 2008
    Unrelated, the abundance of shit like this is one of the many reasons comics get so little respect:

Stuff like that is the reason I don't buy comic books and just keep a general interest in the characters as a whole, while afraid to buy new books only to be told that they don't exist because of alternate realities.

ANTVGM64 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Stuff like that is the reason I don't buy comic books and just keep a general interest in the characters as a whole, while afraid to buy new books only to be told that they don't exist because of alternate realities.

there's more than just superhero comic books, you know

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I mean super-hero comic books :-) I have my collection of Sin City in a nice place of honor on a bookshelf.

ANTVGM64 on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going to the comic book store tomorrow and thinking about about picking up a Superman trade since the only ones I have of his are Red Son, Kingdom Come, Hunter/Prey and for some strange reason True Brit and RUin Revealed.

Is Birthright the trade where Superman does the whole shoot you in the face at point blank range and catch the bullet before it hits you trick? Cause I really want that particular book.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean super-hero comic books :-) I have my collection of Sin City in a nice place of honor on a bookshelf.

(you should check out scalped and criminal then, too)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg