As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monitor flicker

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
My monitor's began flickering if it goes to screen saver, or if I turn off it or the computer and the only way to get it back on is to hit it, what's wrong with it?

SkutSkut on

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    My monitor's began flickering if it goes to screen saver, or if I turn off it or the computer and the only way to get it back on is to hit it, what's wrong with it?

off hand i'd say hitting the monitor doesnt help...

monitors do go bad, how old is it?
    make and model help as well.

Dunadan019 on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

It's a 15" LCD Dell that's all I know about it, the computer's about two years old, maybe 2 and a half since I got it from some rental place.

The power button's broken and I have to jab it and pull it out with a needle so that's probably the biggest problem.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008

It's a 15" LCD Dell that's all I know about it, the computer's about two years old, maybe 2 and a half since I got it from some rental place.

The power button's broken and I have to jab it and pull it out with a needle so that's probably the biggest problem.

the monitor is 2 years old as well?

is the flickering horizontal lines, vertical lines, shifts in color, shifts to black?

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2008

the monitor is 2 years old as well?

is the flickering horizontal lines, vertical lines, shifts in color, shifts to black?

It keeps turning on and off or something, the power light goes off and everything but it takes about a second and makes a clicking noise.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    well my guess (and i stress guess here from the little information ive got) is that there is something loose inside. dont go opening it up!

3 things you can do if you dont want to just live with it.

1. see if lowering the resolution helps

2. get a new monitor a 15 inch should cost only about 50 bucks.

3. turn off sleep mode

Dunadan019 on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's broken.
    you can either fix it or buy a new one.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2008
    I plan on getting a new one, figured it was broken I just hope it last long enough for me t oget a new one, don't want to lug that big crt in here.

SkutSkut on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably a short on the power button or something, given your description.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited July 2008
    Well it's decided to randomly cut off and I have to unplug it and wait a bit, then restart the computer with the monitor plugged in to work, had it do this twice so far but it's been behaving the past few hours.

SkutSkut on