As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RUMOR - Microsoft to purchase Capcom?

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Come to think of it, does Capcom have anything planned for the Wii?
    wikipedia wrote:
    Wii games

* Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

edit - beat'd

LewieP on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Wiivil

:lol:

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You're right, they have; Conkers, Kameo, PDZ and Viva Pinata have all been good games.

:lol:

I'll never understand the hate PDZ gets. I played through it, and it's fine. It probably saw the most play on my 360 before I got gow.

As for Kameo... I have it, but I haven't played more than 5 minutes of it, so I can't judge.

PDDZ sucks, that's what is wrong with it. It's playable, but... ugh

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

DUCK SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

DUCK SEASON!!!

*BANG!*

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    So you're basing a story off something posted on Evil Avatar 360?

DarkWarrior on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looney Tunes Vs. Capcom Xbox exclusive confirmed?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft has been trying to buy out big name Japanese companies for years. That's a major reason why Enix bought Square. I'm sure they've tried to buy Capcom many, many times in the past few years.

KiTA on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Duh, Residend Evil Wii. Right right right.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Wiivil
    Weevil.jpg :?:

CyberJackal on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    I don't want to have to buy a 360 to play Megaman and Resident Evil games.

Hence why I'd hate it if they bought them.
    I, on the other hand, already have a 360, so this is good news for me, since it'll be one less reason to buy a PS3. If only Sony would fucking sell team Ico.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Hybrid wrote:
    I would hate this, cos I'm unlikely to ever be able to get afford a 360, and when capcom brought Resident Evil to the game I was all over it. I would hate to lose my Resident Evils (and the Megamans too).

Of course, it doesnt sound very likely.
    I've got to ask though... if you can't afford a 360, you sure as hell can't afford a PS3. So what difference would this make to you one way or the other?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hybrid wrote:
    I would hate this, cos I'm unlikely to ever be able to get afford a 360, and when capcom brought Resident Evil to the game I was all over it. I would hate to lose my Resident Evils (and the Megamans too).

Of course, it doesnt sound very likely.
    I've got to ask though... if you can't afford a 360, you sure as hell can't afford a PS3. So what difference would this make to you one way or the other?

I guess he's hoping that they port the games to his PS2.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    agoaj wrote:
    Looney Tunes Vs. Capcom Xbox exclusive confirmed?
    beezlebubag7.jpg
    It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X series continued as Live Arcade games?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This had better be a lie...

Daddy wants his Wii games...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This rumor makes me D:

I don't want anybody to buy Capcom, but if somebody does, it better be Nintendo.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2007
    If this IS true, you can forget about any Capcom Wii games. Gamespot recently quoted Bill Gates as saying Nintendo is the 360's toughest competition.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164053.html

That won't prevent them for developing for the DS, given all the Microsoft properties that have appeared there.

...at least until Microsoft develops plans for a handheld.

cloudeagle on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    This had better be a lie...

Daddy wants his Wii games...

Is Capcom planning anything other than Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii? No More Heroes is being developed by Grasshopper and published by Marvelous and Spike (two publishers?), so Capcom involvement whatsoever. I haven't really heard of much else.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Evil Wii

no more heroes

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Wiivil
    Weevil.jpg :?:
    uwe_boll.jpg

Elendil on
  • oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I personally think this would be pretty damn good. If MS bought Capcom though, would any games that cudn't really come out on the 360 anyway (like RE Wii, other Wii games and handheld games) just be cancelled? Or would they let them complete them first, and once all that is out the way, move them on to 360 exclusives with PC ports, and possibly continue on with handheld titles. I mean, as some have said, Rare still makes handheld games, and wouldn't MS still profit from these anyway, owning the company making them and all?

Anyway, it probably won't happen, hence it being a rumour, but it would be nice if it did happen. No more worrying if Sony has bought exclucivity for RE5 or even Dead Rising 2 for the PS3!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I approve of a Microsoft Capcom takeover.

Mainly because Microsoft aren't idiots and would reform Clover in a heartbeat.

Plus, I already own a 360 so more goodies for me =)

ToadTheMushroom on
    edited January 2007

Not necessarily. I love Clover, but the only game of theirs that really sold decently was Viewtiful Joe. Okami, wonderful as it was, likely lost them a TON of money because sales were poop here AND in Japan (where it should have been a blockbuster). From a business standpoint, it would be stupid to reform Clover, sad to say.

cloudeagle on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Clover games were like indie films.

If anyone other than Clover made them, no one would care. Because they aren't that spectacular.

deadonthestreet on
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Not necessarily. I love Clover, but the only game of theirs that really sold decently was Viewtiful Joe. Okami, wonderful as it was, likely lost them a TON of money because sales were poop here AND in Japan (where it should have been a blockbuster). From a business standpoint, it would be stupid to reform Clover, sad to say.

I agree it would be a poor business decision to reform Clover. However, even though Clover has been dissolved, it's unlikely that the people who made up the Clover team have been dissolved as well (acid?). So even though we will never likely see another Clover title again :( , we could see a formation of a new studio with similar goals :D , with or without Microsoft.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2007
    Clover games were like indie films.

If anyone other than Clover made them, no one would care. Because they aren't that spectacular.

Someone's either never played Okami or God Hand, or has no soul...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

Limed for agreement. Browned for shit yeah I fucking hope so.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

You're also kind of missing the point that the actual developers behind Clover left of their own volition before the studio was dissolved - hell, that's why it was dissolved. There wouldn't be much of a point to a Pirates of the Carribean without Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom just like there isn't much of a point to Clover without Inaba or Kamiya.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This rumor is 10 kinds of retarded.

Rumor:

MS to buy Nintendo in 5 years.

JJ on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:

Rumor:

That was about 6 years ago.

MechMantis on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    JJ wrote:

Rumor:

That was about 6 years ago.

Nobody killed Trip Hawkens yet?

JJ on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't buy this, mainly because if they have money to buy a developer, there are far better developers to buy than Capcom.

And for the record, Perfect Dark Zero is a piece of shit. I've seen better AI in board games.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited January 2007
    Ashcroft wrote:
    I don't buy this, mainly because if they have money to buy a developer, there are far better developers to buy than Capcom.
    I agree. MS buy Rockstar, then that would be generation won (from a hardware sales perspective). Simple as.

LewieP on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    i really dont see them pulling DMC4 off the PS3

I see them putting it on the Xbox 360 though.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Would love to see MS buy Capcom. If titles like Dead Rising are what we can expect from a company that only makes games for the 360, sign me up!

It would also be awesome to see the marketplace be filled with all those 2d fighting games that capcom made like dark stalkers and the marvel vs xmen games (that was capcom right?).

Kick ass.

Tumbler 360 on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    i really dont see them pulling DMC4 off the PS3

I see them putting it on the Xbox 360 though.
    nice avatar, MCP.

personally, from a 'format wars' perspective, it would do Microsoft a huge bonus to own Capcom, since they're a somewhat popular Japanese developer, and Japan's a market they'd love to crack. As far as i'm aware, Dead Rising is an exclusive, and that's doing quite well.
    However from a games-playing perspective, i guess it shouldn't really matter, as long as there's good games on the 360. This is the console i own, and so the one i want to play games on. I can understand why PS3 owners would feel aggrieved, similarly i would if some good 360 exclusives were lost to a console i didn't own.

But at the end of the day, it's only a rumour, and a highly unlikely one at that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2007
    Would love to see MS buy Capcom. If titles like Dead Rising are what we can expect from a company that only makes games for the 360, sign me up!

It would also be awesome to see the marketplace be filled with all those 2d fighting games that capcom made like dark stalkers and the marvel vs xmen games (that was capcom right?).

Kick ass.
    shit, have capcom put out anything on the VC?

if they have, and you may ever want it, get it bought now. God knows they'll be taken down if capcom ever get bought out buy MS

LewieP on
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Kick ass.

Yes, but what you've said has already happened or could happen even if Capcom isn't bought by MS.

Personally, I would prefer Capcom able to produce games for whatever platforms it chooses.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Yeah, because Microsoft sure scrambled to get Free Radical back into Rare. :roll:

People, the problem isn't with the fact that Microsoft would buy them, but that they would get bought at all. Exclusivity for a company that would otherwise make plenty of games for all systems is nothing but a lose-lose situation for anyone that doesn't have a huge pro-MS bias.

(Not to mention that a Japanese company going exclusive to Microsoft, which has a much shorter leg to stand on in the Japanese market than the other two console giants, doesn't make any damn sense)

Edit: Wait, this is EGM? "Street Fighter 4 is coming out this year" EGM? Why the hell are we even paying any attention? :lol:

Blitz Rawket on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    astroboy wrote:

Kick ass.

Yes, but what you've said has already happened or could happen even if Capcom isn't bought by MS.

Personally, I would prefer Capcom able to produce games for whatever platforms it chooses.

I agree, I would prefer Capcom to stay independent and especially not be bought by MS especially since I am a huge Capcom fan and I think it would do more harm than good.

Lothars on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ugh no.

God no.

People who think this is fine just got on my, "eat a dick and have fun never being taken seriously by me again" list.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png