As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] - Dark Heresy : Optimus Usurpo

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ((Clarification: The live that goes deeper into the hive is closer to the original site of the Libri Arcanum, while the entertainment district is further away.

Further clarification: The tram stop for the lift to the entertainment district comes before the tram stop at the lift closer to the Libri's location.))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "I dun' trust da boyoz we might be meetin' at da ennatainment district... I say we jus' move along"

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "I am in agreement with Parthus. We are unfamiliar with the terrain; a native would possess information we do not, such as locations of unseen pitfalls and hidden dangers, as well as potential alternate routes. I believe our guide should be as trustworthy as we compensate him to be."

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The tram's chime sounds again - it is coming up on the stop near the lift that can take you to the entertainment district.

((Now's the time to make your final decision.))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The tram has arrived at the stop for the entertainment district's lift - if you're getting off here, say so.

((I'll remind you that you guys don't exactly have any way of communicating with each other over long distances, so splitting up probably isn't a good idea.))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "We may as well search this location first, if that's the rest of your intents."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Viswanat rises from his seat and heads for the door. "Then let us disembark." The adept gathers his gear and exits the tram, bowing his head in prayer to its Spirit.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    With a sigh, Parthus leaves the tram and follows the others.

"Do we have any set designation, or are we searching aimlessly to find this place?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The short walk to the public lift is uneventful, but by the time you arrive a shift change has started, and the enormous elevator is jammed full of citizens from all levels of the hive, some tired and ready for relaxation, others preparing for their daily grind.

You manage to squeeze on-board before the lift begins its noisy descent, but you are all crowded together near the doors, with room to do anything little more than turn in place. The buzz of dozens of conversations can be heard over the sound of the aging lift's gears and pulleys, and it's clear that there will be no way to converse without those nearby overhearing.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ((I'd like to make an Awareness check on the people in the lift, especially the ones standing next to Boaz, looking for anyone that may intent to cause trouble or simply pick a pocket.))

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    ((I'd like to make an Awareness check on the people in the lift, especially the ones standing next to Boaz, looking for anyone that may intent to cause trouble or simply pick a pocket.))

1d100=63. So that's a failure.

Besides your companions, those standing nearby look to be grimy, tired laborers or plain-looking mid-hivers going down to the red light district.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    (Parthus doesn't feel the need to do anything of note.)

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A seedy-looking man with facial piercings taps Boaz on the shoulder.

"Hey preacha, that's a nice blade ya got there," he says, a mocking smile revealing yellowed teeth. "D'nt know was such a rough bizness!"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Worked wondas on da last man we spoke to, right preacha?" Paba remarks as he gives the man a strange smile.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The man cocks his head slightly at Paba, and slaps the man next to him on the shoulder. "Eyes on Teef, you got family visiting!"

The figure that the pierced man addressed is taller with dark skin, and like Paba, he looked to have a necklace made from teeth. Unlike, Paba's, however, his seemed to be made completely out of human ones. He met eyes with Paba, then spoke, revealing that his own teeth, all filed to carnivorous points. "Don't start anything, Meko," he says. "Not on the lift."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Brother Boaz gives a stern look to Paba and both of the two men on the left. "Save your hate and violence for the heretics, all of you."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The pierced young man seems ready to say something in response, but Teeth gives him a stern look that keeps him quiet.

The sound of the lift changes as it starts to slow down, and the runes above the entrance flash on as the doors whine open. As you all depart from the lift, the two men that confronted you wait for a short while before exiting as well, and you quickly lose sight of them as the crowd flows out.

The red light district is something of a misnomer, as all sorts of bright colors flash as each building's sign vies for your attention, trying to lure you inside for whatever sort of pleasures they offer. No doubt most of what is offered here is illicit, or at least something the upper hive would think of as such.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ((So do you guys want to go somewhere in particular or what.))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ((So do you guys want to go somewhere in particular or what.))

(Onward us dogs!)

Parthus goes off to find a seedy tavern, hoping to find a bum that knows how the area.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There are certainly no lack of seedy taverns here - are you looking for any sort of local in particular? Different bars cater to different crowds.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There are certainly no lack of seedy taverns here - are you looking for any sort of local in particular? Different bars cater to different crowds.

Seedy and cheap, like The Emperor intended. Hopefully with some guys passed-out out front.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How about list the first couple establishments viewable along the path leading out from the lift.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Carnarvon wrote: »

Seedy and cheap, like The Emperor intended. Hopefully with some guys passed-out out front.

You stroll through a couple blocks of the flashier establishments until you find yourself looking at the places that cater more to the local crowd.

One place in particular catches your eye, a smaller building that a of drunkards just staggered out from, singing a filthy song about a girl, her mother, and what they did to each other.

The tavern's name, hand-painted and illuminated by a couple plain bulbs, declares itself to be "The Lustful Scribe".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    How about list the first couple establishments viewable along the path leading out from the lift.

In the immediate proximity of the lift is a gambling hall, "Lucky Roller"; a couple of plink parlors; a bar titled "The Break Room", from which the sounds of a live band can be heard; and a building with many windows (each with a woman standing inside of it) titled simply "Relaxation Palace".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Boaz stares at the sign. "Regardless of the name, I doubt that such an establishment would be a resource of history. Or bear the sobriety to share it. A different sort of 'seedy', perchance, is in order?"

He snaps a quick gesture further down the walkway. "There. Some parlors of plink, as I trust it. Useful sorts of men as passes down here."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Parthus turns to Boaz and shrugs. "All we needs is one too poor to be drunk."

Parthus walks into the The Lustful Scribe and looks for someone chatty.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "Histlry?!" a voice cries out from behind you. "HISTLRY?!"

Behind you, there is an elderly-looking man slumped in an alleyway. His hair is unkempt and the unshaven stubble on his face is almost ready to be considered a beard. The tattered and stained robes on his emancipated frame identify him as a priest of some kind, but he doesn't look like he's spread the word of the God-Emperor in a long time.

"T'ain't no histlry left in this God-Emp'rer forsaken place," he says, taking a drink from a near-empty bottle of rotgut. "Lost most've that back in the quake, an' waz left never getten shown 'round down here..."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Parthus turns to Boaz and shrugs. "All we needs is one too poor to be drunk."

Parthus walks into the The Lustful Scribe and looks for someone chatty.
    Inside it looks like most of the patrons are laborers of various kinds like you saw on the lift down. There are a couple tables that look populated by either crewmen from trader ships or local gangs. You don't see anyone pay any attention to your entering.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Boaz turns around to face old alley-dweller.

"You speak of the quake, good man; would you know of the levels that fell into the underhive, and a library that fell along with it?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Inside it looks like most of the patrons are laborers of various kinds like you saw on the lift down. There are a couple tables that look populated by either crewmen from trader ships or local gangs. You don't see anyone pay any attention to your entering.
    I find my way to the bar and order an amasec. Is there anyone else at the bar?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "Pah! What lib'ry did't fall then?" The priest takes another swig from his bottle, only to find it empty. He looks at it with a sort of sad resignation, then looks up at you with watery eyes. "M' order used to be somethin', y'know. But our shrine fell, it did, and most've the priests died innit, too. I wuz... I wuz jus' fidteen at th' time! Saved from lifea villianry I was, and out tryin' ta find other kids to save. But when it fell... when it fell then we didd't have nowhere to go... Pontifax dun care about us lit'ul sects none... no we just sart'd... fading away then..." He breaks eye contact with you and lets his sentence trail away as he drifts away into his hazy memories.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I find my way to the bar and order an amasec. Is there anyone else at the bar?
    There's a couple more laborers nursing their drinks, a young female ganger with an elaborate electoo on her shoulder, and a youthful-looking man wearing a long leather coat.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There's a couple more laborers nursing their drinks, a young female ganger with an elaborate electoo on her shoulder, and a youthful-looking man wearing a long leather coat.
    I take a swig of my amasec and turn to the man in the leather jacket. "You live 'round these parts?"
    I assume I'll need to roll felloship. 80. Well, there's a failure

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I take a swig of my amasec and turn to the man in the leather jacket. "You live 'round these parts?"
    I assume I'll need to roll felloship. 80. Well, there's a failure
    "No, I just like the atmosphere here," he says sardonically. "Folks here don't talk to you when you're enjoying your drink." He shifts in his stool a bit to face away from you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "No, I just like the atmosphere here," he says sardonically. "Folks here don't talk to you when you're enjoying your drink." He shifts in his stool a bit to face away from you.
    Parthus shifts his chair accordingly. "Perhaps I can help you enjoy a few more drinks?" says Parthus while ordering another round of amasec for him and his 'friend'. "I need a guide into the ruins."

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Parthus shifts his chair accordingly. "Perhaps I can help you enjoy a few more drinks?" says Parthus while ordering another round of amasec for him and his 'friend'. "I need a guide into the ruins."
    The man knocks back the rest of his drink to make room for the round you ordered. "There's a lot of ruins down there," he says simply.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The man knocks back the rest of his drink to make room for the round you ordered. "There's a lot of ruins down there," he says simply.
    Sector 20, Level 8, Zone A4. Know of it?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sector 20, Level 8, Zone A4. Know of it?
    The man turns more towards you and takes the drink you ordered for him. He stops short of drinking it."Something you looking for there?" he says, then takes a large quaff from the amasec, draining half of it in one go.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Outside...

The monk rouses himself from his recollections, and looks back up at Boaz.

"By th' Throne!" he says. "I know you! Yer a preacher from 'bove... but you... you dun like that Pontifax neither, do ya!" He punctuates the sentence by throwing his empty bottle against the opposite side of the alley, shattering it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Inside:
    The man smiles. "Besides, all of Zone A fell. Who knows if what you're looking for even exists any more."

DarkPrimus on