As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bought Old Box Games- Should I sell them?

SueveSueve Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was in a one of those surplus stores when I came across these two items:

Stronghold-Jewel-Case.jpg

and

PC--Max-Payne.jpg With the "Limited Edition Mousepad"

Now, both boxes have a little wear, but both are unopened, and I convinced them to give them to me for 1.99 each.

When I got home, I did a quick Amazon search, but couldn't find any of the Boxed ones for sale, only the Jewel Case only version. So should I just play these games, or try and sell them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000087BHG/sr=1-6/qid=1217449896/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1217449896&sr=1-6&seller=&colid=&condition=new

This shows stronghold going for 30/50 bucks.

Sueve on

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know what stronghold is, so if u can make some quick cash I say go for it if u want.
    Max Payne is a decent game, I'd probably just play it and maybe trade it in as a used game later.

Dman on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neither of those are "old".

Before the image loaded I thought you meant the old SSI game Stronghold which is something a collector might actually be interested in.

Remember that Stronghold and all it's spinoffs are on Gametap and have been whored out to every "strategy compilation" re-release CD ever printed. Also it's a crappy game.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neither of those are "old".

Before the image loaded I thought you meant the old SSI game Stronghold which is something a collector might actually be interested in.

Remember that Stronghold and all it's spinoffs are on Gametap and have been whored out to every "strategy compilation" re-release CD ever printed. Also it's a crappy game.

Alright, if thats true I'm gonna just try and sell it on amazon and make a quick 25 bucks.

Sueve on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know if Max Payne would sell for any decent amount. Unless the limited edition mousepad is a big deal, I would suspect "no". I do know, however, that it is an amazing game (as is the sequel) which you most definitely should play if you have not already.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Neither of those games are rare. Max Payne in particular is super common, Stronghold slightly less so but still really common.

There is a class of vendor on Amazon and places like that (ABE) that put there somewhat unrepresented stuff up at pretty outrageous prices, hoping that someone who doesn't know better will buy it. Or someone that really, really wants that exact thing will buy it. I would venture to say that 99% of their stock never sells in a given year.

Here's how it works. Say I've got the left radio knob from a 1970 Ford Pinto. There's no real market for it so I can put whatever price on it I want. I could sell it for $1 or $5 or $500. If you want to buy one and mine is the only one you find you have no real way of knowing if it is worth what I'm asking, besides common sense. And since that is in short supply you might buy it anyway. You'll see this a lot with older computer stuff, especially if you look it up by part number. The sellers figure you must really need that exact 2gb hard drive (or you don't realize that your machine could use a different one) so they figure it's okay to charge $300.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The original Max Payne was a SUPER fun game. The whole "bullet-time" thing has died out, but Max Payne really perfected it. Nothing like diving sideways out of a doorway and getting headshots of three guys hiding in the room.

The graphic novel style cutscenes were also really good. You should play it if you never have before.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Remember that Stronghold ... Also it's a crappy game.

You shut your dirty mouth! Stronghold has the most robust baking simulation of any RTS I've ever played! It did a fantastic job keeping things simple in military, but giving you many ways to go about winning via economy.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JNighthawk wrote: »

You shut your dirty mouth! Stronghold has the most robust baking simulation of any RTS I've ever played! It did a fantastic job keeping things simple in military, but giving you many ways to go about winning via economy.

The economy side is completely crippled by forcing every step of production to be routed through your storehouse. Of which you can only have one. This means the only viable layout for your town is a radial structure with the storehouse at the center (thus making the city planning boring as there is only one valid strategy).

The Sierra City Building series (eg: Ceasar, Pharoah, Zues etc...) has similar gameplay but handle it much better.

And it is the worst offender ever of the "walls made of paper mache" problem. As you quickly learn in one of the tutorial missions, 4 bandits with sticks can destroy a massive stone tower 20x taller than them manned with bowmen before those bowmen can kill them.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JNighthawk wrote: »

The economy side is completely crippled by forcing every step of production to be routed through your storehouse. Of which you can only have one. This means the only viable layout for your town is a radial structure with the storehouse at the center (thus making the city planning boring as there is only one valid strategy).

The Sierra City Building series (eg: Ceasar, Pharoah, Zues etc...) has similar gameplay but handle it much better.

And it is the worst offender ever of the "walls made of paper mache" problem. As you quickly learn in one of the tutorial missions, 4 bandits with sticks can destroy a massive stone tower 20x taller than them manned with bowmen before those bowmen can kill them.

What game were you playing? What you're describing isn't Stronghold.

You can have multiple storage houses. I'm 100% sure, because mine would routinely be completely full up on bread. Also, crossbowmen + towers = rock.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer