As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One-Man Rock Band (Part II) -- Week 15: Celebrity Skin

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm definitly doing hard drums this week. No way could I put up a decent score on Expert.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's the only song I have yet to BEAT on Expert.

DarkPrimus on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ditto. I have tried a few times but I can't get past the final stretch. My best was around 94%.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've done it once, but I had some one else doing the pedal and I barely, barely made it to 3 stars and was red to blinking red through the last 1/5th of the song.

This was a couple of weeks ago.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The pedal work for the last half of the song isnt that bad. You just have to teach yourself to not stomp in time with your right hand. You will always be just a hair early.

If I can get the sticking down for the fills on the second half of the song, I can improve my score by a fair amount still.

quovadis13 on
    edited August 2008
    FINALLY!!!! After at least an hour and a half and a blister forming on my middle finger, I have FC'd guitar. I could not keep it together for the intro at all. I played the first 30 seconds of that song at least 100 times. I would usually drop notes somewhere in the OYBOY part, but it annoyed me that whenever I hit that, I would then lose combo somewhere else.

Then there was the one run where I made it out past halfway and thought I had the FC until I somehow missed a note about 100 from the end. Took me another half hour to finally get the FC. Activations could have been better, but I dont care, its FC'd.

I never had that much trouble with the intro before. Knowing me, the next time I play it, I will just run through almost the entire thing without breaking a sweat.

quovadis13 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!! After at least an hour and a half and a blister forming on my middle finger, I have FC'd guitar. I could not keep it together for the intro at all. I played the first 30 seconds of that song at least 100 times. I would usually drop notes somewhere in the OYBOY part, but it annoyed me that whenever I hit that, I would then lose combo somewhere else.

Then there was the one run where I made it out past halfway and thought I had the FC until I somehow missed a note about 100 from the end. Took me another half hour to finally get the FC. Activations could have been better, but I dont care, its FC'd.

I never had that much trouble with the intro before. Knowing me, the next time I play it, I will just run through almost the entire thing without breaking a sweat.

I occasionally bite it on the intro, but it's mostly when it starts shifting the pattern just after it where I usually make my mistakes. For some reason, I just feel the need to properly HOPO that stuff... On the sections with the chords/HO notes I only screw up when I fuck up the HO part. However, the last time I played the song, I FC'd from that part on.

I was pretty proud of myself for that.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've pretty much decided that I won't FC it. I can do the intro and the variants of it no problem, but fuck that chorus pattern because my guitarist mind seriously can't comprehend just what the hell is supposed to even be happening with the rhythm there.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    I've pretty much decided that I won't FC it. I can do the intro and the variants of it no problem, but fuck that chorus pattern because my guitarist mind seriously can't comprehend just what the hell is supposed to even be happening with the rhythm there.

It took me a few tries. It's basically just a straight strum pattern in a rhythm that doesn't change. Only every few strums you remove one finger and HO with it. I'm sure it can be alt-strummed, but I'm just so used to down strumming that bit it's just second nature.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2008
    I can do the pattern, but with all the ridiculous effects and what sounds like probably a second guitar in the actual song just throw me into a tailspin when my ears try and figure out what my hand's doing that corresponds to the screen.

Though thinking about it now I can just do my old trick of turning the background instruments way down so I can hear that single track better for a few practice runs.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited August 2008
    I think it is a multiple guitar track, in fact. Either way, it's easy once you get comfortable with the actual rhythm of the notes you need to play. Maybe not easy, but simple.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2008
    It's also a multiple vocals track so I recommend you don't drop the singer's voice if you do the vocals like that.

Arikado on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I fiddled around with that last night and they really could've just layered the song on top of itself ten times and shifted each layer around by a few microseconds and achieved the same effect. Just an amalgamation of sound even when you have it set to where you can only really hear the track you're playing.

Zoning out on it for a few runs though I was able to get through most of it unscathed so here's hoping I don't smash the guitar before I get satisfied with my score.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BTW guys I'll be lost in the wilderness Monday so you'll have to figure out the winner on your own or wait until Tue/Wed when I'll post the spreadsheet stats.

midgetspy on
    edited August 2008
    Arikado's Scores with Sore Arms
    Guitar (Expert): 181,410 5s
    Bass (Expert): 137,135 5s
    Vocals (Expert): 217,473 Gs
    Drums (Expert): 167,775 4s

Total: 703,793

Did I mention my arms fucking hurt?

Arikado on
    edited August 2008
    Here goes...
    Guitar (Expert) 214908
    Bass (Expert) 142260

Vocals (Hard) 133920

Totals 491088

I'm hoping RB2 deals with harmony vocals better. As a natural Baritone/Bass range, I want to sing a bit lower. So when that bit in the chorus happens where both the female and the male singer are going at the same time, I can't seen to find the right pitch... Ever. Same thing for many of the Cars songs and Bang Camaro. I really wish they didn't take the aggregate pitch of all voices and just concentrated on the primary singer.

Not to mention crap like 'Rape! Murder!'...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JoahW's score submission
    Guitar (Expert): 212,649
    Bass (Expert): 142,380
    Drums (Expert): 275,350
    Vocals (Expert): 196,815
    Total: 827,194

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Arikado's Scores with Sore Arms
    Guitar (Expert): 181,410 5s
    Bass (Expert): 137,135 5s
    Vocals (Expert): 217,473 Gs
    Drums (Expert): 167,775 4s

Total: 703,793

Did I mention my arms fucking hurt?
    Arikado, those scores add up to 703,793. Did you mess up one of your scores or is it simply a calculation error?

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, typo. Fixed.

Arikado on
    edited August 2008
    I was tinkering around with Open office calc today and I think I'll try to do the results this week. I'll probably have to do things a bit more manually than Midgetspy but it should work out.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2008
    Actually due to unfortunate circumstances with my holiday plans I'm back to ruin your fun JoahW ;-P (I can post the results tomorrow)

If you want I can always just send you my xls, it'll open in openoffice (actually I made it in OO but converted it so I could update it at work).

midgetspy on
  • meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My scores:
    Guitar (Expert): 212,100
    Bass (Expert): 137,565
    Drums (Expert): 211,875
    Vocals (Expert): 210,865

Total: 772,405

Nice score on drums, JoahW, that's awesome. I think if I got the right lucky run I could 5-star this darn song, but like Arikado, my arms were too worn out to see if I could prove it. No way I could hit 275k though.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
    edited August 2008
    Well, my problem with drums was compounded with the fact that I still haven't gotten my RMA kit so I had to fudge around with the yellow pad and played without the usual protection of tape/sock/rubberband. About halfway through the song I realized I was breaking combo because my yellow pad was detecting hits when I hit red on the bottom side pretty hard.

But I was too sore by then so I just finished it with all the broken combos. I did have a 120 note streak. :)

Arikado on
    edited August 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Actually due to unfortunate circumstances with my holiday plans I'm back to ruin your fun JoahW ;-P (I can post the results tomorrow)

If you want I can always just send you my xls, it'll open in openoffice (actually I made it in OO but converted it so I could update it at work).

Hehe. Do you type out the results manually, or do you have a script that does it for you? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to spreadsheets except for basic cell arithmetic. Basically all I was going to do was to have a column for each instrument and a column that adds all 4 to get the total. Off to the side, I had a cell for the change in score between the first and second entry for each instrument (I'd go through and sort by that instrument score before checking the change) and finally a cell for the superband score, which simply takes the max of each column and adds them together. I'm not exactly sure how you calculate tightest distribution.

Yeah, I'm sure it's very similar to what you have set up. I'd like to see the xls.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2008
    My Scores
    Guitar - 219769
    Bass - 145208
    Drums - 234175

Total - 599152

No vocals again this week :( Otherwise happy. FC'd guitar and bass and even managed to improve my drum score. Cant complain about that on a song like this.

quovadis13 on
    edited August 2008
    Week 13 results: 5 forumers submitted scores for Outside

Click for results
    This week's winner is JoahW with an overall score of 827,194

Top 3 Overall
    1. JoahW: 827,194
    2. meteredsection: 772,405
    3. Arikado: 703,793

Honorable Mention
    • Best guitarist goes to quovadis13 with a score of 219,769
    • Best bassist goes to quovadis13 with a score of 145,208
    • Best drummer goes to JoahW with a score of 275,350
    • Best vocalist goes to Arikado with a score of 217,473

Misc Stats
    • The One-Man Superband score is 857,800
    • JoahW was 30,606 points away from attaining the One-Man Superband score
    • The most important instrument was Drums (most points available)
    • The most competitive instrument was Bass (tightest distribution)
    • The worst domination was JoahW on Drums (41,175 points away from the nearest competitor)

Top 10 lists
    Top 10 Overall
    1. JoahW: 827,194
    2. meteredsection: 772,405
    3. Arikado: 703,793
    4. quovadis13: 599,152
    5. Santa Claustrophobia: 491,088

Top 10 Guitar
    1. quovadis13: 219,769
    2. Santa Claustrophobia: 214,908
    3. JoahW: 212,649
    4. meteredsection: 212,100
    5. Arikado: 181,410
    Top 10 Bass
    1. quovadis13: 145,208
    2. JoahW: 142,380
    3. Santa Claustrophobia: 142,260
    4. meteredsection: 137,565
    5. Arikado: 137,135
    Top 10 Drums
    1. JoahW: 275,350
    2. quovadis13: 234,175
    3. meteredsection: 211,875
    4. Arikado: 167,775
    Top 10 Vocals
    1. Arikado: 217,473
    2. meteredsection: 210,865
    3. JoahW: 196,815
    4. Santa Claustrophobia: 133,920

All Results
    pa.week.13.jpg

midgetspy on
    edited August 2008
    I don't know how so many people were able to squeeze so much out of the vocals on the leaderboards. I barely cracked the top 30 with my score.

So what wonderous song are we expecting for this week? :P

Arikado on
    edited August 2008
    Ideally something that draws a bit more of a crowd. Are we out of popular songs?

The other option is to make it B.Y.O.B., which I think we can all assume right now will be sufficiently challenging for this competition (and it would be kind of fun to have one that's fresh to everyone).

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
    edited August 2008
    I knew it was too much to hope that I'd win an instrument...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, I haven't been recently non-active due to song selection. I've just not had very much RB play time lately.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited August 2008
    How about "Who Are You"? We haven't done a who song yet, and it's an awesome song.

Alternatively, I nominate "Won't Get Fooled Again".

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited August 2008
    Both excellent choices. Won't Get Fooled Again may get better turnout since it's on-disc.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
    edited August 2008
    BTW doing current-week DLC isn't really fair to PS3 users since we don't get it until late Thursday afternoon where 360 users get it late Monday night.

midgetspy on
    edited August 2008
    BTW doing current-week DLC isn't really fair to PS3 users since we don't get it until late Thursday afternoon where 360 users get it late Monday night.

This makes no sense. One, because I don't recall anybody suggesting current week DLC as the choice. And two, even on a Thursday afternoon, that's still three whole days (mostly on the weekend) to run some scores down.

Don't you use ScoreHero to help with OD pathing? How much time do you need to do this? I usually spend about an hour on Sunday doing about three runs to try and get a score. And except for the Vocals (on Hard) and Drums (no Drums), my Guitar scores are pretty competitive.

I can understand the point you're making and I agree with it anyway. It just sounds a bit hollow coming from the dude who's won practically every week they've played. Just sayin'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I don't do more than 2-3 runs on vocals and rarely bother trying to do more than 2 runs on any of the other instruments.

Arikado on
    edited August 2008

This makes no sense. One, because I don't recall anybody suggesting current week DLC as the choice. And two, even on a Thursday afternoon, that's still three whole days (mostly on the weekend) to run some scores down.

Don't you use ScoreHero to help with OD pathing? How much time do you need to do this? I usually spend about an hour on Sunday doing about three runs to try and get a score. And except for the Vocals (on Hard) and Drums (no Drums), my Guitar scores are pretty competitive.

I can understand the point you're making and I agree with it anyway. It just sounds a bit hollow coming from the dude who's won practically every week they've played. Just sayin'.

Meteredsection near the top of this page suggested that B.Y.O.B. would be a challenging song for the week, for what it's worth.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited August 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »

Meteredsection near the top of this page suggested that B.Y.O.B. would be a challenging song for the week, for what it's worth.

Oh, I see. Since I had no interest in any of the songs I didn't realise that. I had initially thought he meant it as some kind of open challenge. Such as pick your own song and challenge every body else. How that ties into the phrase Bring Your Own Bottle, I don't know, but it's what I thought he meant.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2008
    Guilty. It's a fair point that I hadn't considered, I guess I live a 360-centric life. I always just do a few attempts per instrument on one day, but I'm fine with other people spending more time on it, so we should probably only do week-after-release DLC. B.Y.O.B. next week perhaps.

In the meantime, we need to pick a song for this week. Our winner suggested a Who song, so should we just run with it?

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who Are You or Won't Get Fooled Again?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited August 2008
    Who Are You is my vote if only for the fact that people won't have to sit around for that huge break for 4 runs at the very least.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png