As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[We Play Tonight]Teen-Islanders: Cheerleaders, Monkeys, Starvation and Social Drama

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
TEEN-ISLANDERS

PicForNewsletterFijiNov152004CastAwayMONORIKI.JPG

That's right, we play this game tonight. I'm going to be in #bombfell on irc.slashnet.org most of the night and for better or worse a game of this will begin around 11pm GMT. There's no GM and it's a collaborative group game, so the more people we have to chip in the more fun it will be.

But what's the game you say?

I was toying with the idea of creating a game that could be playable solo, taking inspiration from the randomly generated content of Roguelikes. I ended up with the idea of a desert-island survival game where you or your group collaboratively control a randomly generated group of highschoolers that have to balance gathering food and materials to survive with complex social networks and backstabing. Obviously there are also tropical storms, bear attacks and hopefully a raft. I painted the whole thing with a thick coat of highschool stereotypes and had my basic idea down.

So in the very early stages here's what I'm for now calling Teen-Islanders.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmbxmt_13cg9mbdv5

The game has gone down well when played with around three people but I really think it's a case of the more the merrier. This is all playtesting, as there are still a few balance issues but life in the island is meant to be unfair. At the moment I'm just concerned it's not harsh enough, but hopefully we'll be proven wrong with a band of useless kids that starve in days.

The game actually benefits from sidetracking into silly comments and really reading into the events. You soon learn to hate the fat kids. Here's an example of what a group of Castaways will look like, each one being the result of a single d6 roll and up to two further rolls based on how they roll.

The Rebels
Lucia and Franklyn (Spunk, Couple)

The Cheerleaders
Michelle (Social, Fussy, The Bitch)
Tara (Social, Fussy)
Amber, Tiffany and Samantha (Social)

The Rest
Heather (Sports)
Christian (The Class Clown, Smarts, Spunk)
Eugene (Glutton)
Aaron (Jerk)
Amie (Sports, Crush on Franklyn)

The brackets contain any Strengths or Weaknesses the character has as well as how any other notable information such as relationships with other Castaways or whether they fit a special role such as Prom King or Class Clown. As you can see Cliques form rapidly on this island depending on character's Strengths.

Bear in mind this game was thrown together over a few hours. Hope to see some of you show for the game.

SUPERSUGA on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey I'll actually be home for this

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    Hey let's get some dudes in on this jeez

I mean do you guys need the IRC info or anything?

INeedNoSalt on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay! I'm putting this off till tomorrow for a few reasons:
    • Although we have a few takers I feel some people are still missing out
    • I received a nice big juicy playtest report from someone today that's given me a load of ideas that will improve the game, I can get these added in tomorrow no problem
    • Your timezones are crazy
    So this game will now be running on TUESDAY 24th at Midnight GMT.

This game has bears and spontaneous combustion, come play.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited June 2008
    Okay, last bump before I let this sink. Shame to see no takers :|

This is Midnignt GMT Tonight

SUPERSUGA on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I would totally play this because it sounds incredibly awesome and a fantastic game with a wonderful GM....

But sadly I leave in 45 minutes!

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Everyone else sucks who isn't going to play

INeedNoSalt on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since no one else is joining I will. It would be a shame to let a game this awesome looking go to waste.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    This was awesome.

Would play again.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    Crap, I forgot about the irc thing and just assumed the game fell through. Next time then.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Sure, I'll definitely arrange another game. Plus we still need to finish this island of course, even if things look grim!

For those interested the situation on Day 11 was that we made a break for it on the raft but, upon spotting a ship on the horizon, we went unnoticed and it sailed away blindly. Washed back up on the island we had to burn most of the raft to survive and now everyone except the Prom King and Debate Team Captain are too hungry to work. Oh and the Class Clown had his arm bitten off by a crocodile so is no longer any help.

I'll give more notice for this next one so we can hopefully spread word across the forums.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Well I'm going to reincarnate this thread and attempt to run a game of this in the coming week. If I can get at least two people interested we'll go ahead. Had some good fun with the last game.

Anyone interested tell me what day/time you'd be cool to play. I'm pretty much available most of the week from 8pm to 3am GMT.

SUPERSUGA on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm interested. Times are sketchy, though.

Rainfall on
    edited July 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Well I'm going to reincarnate this thread and attempt to run a game of this in the coming week. If I can get at least two people interested we'll go ahead. Had some good fun with the last game.

Anyone interested tell me what day/time you'd be cool to play. I'm pretty much available most of the week from 8pm to 3am GMT.

dibs

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2008
    Well then, times to follow.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Okay so I'm thinking Wednesday night. I'll be free from 9pm onwards but wouldn't really want to start after Midnight. This is all GMT of course.

Are you guys able to fit in there somewhere?

SUPERSUGA on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I can remember to, I will give this a try wednesday! Sounds cool.

Vic on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've never played anything like this before, but it sounds really fun.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited July 2008
    Good to hear, Kuhlmeye and Vic. Hope to see you both there.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Well, if you don't start until Midnight GMT I can probably make it. Got a chance to read through the info for the game, and it turns out my initial assessment was correct. Hope to see you all on Wednesday.

kuhlmeye on
    edited July 2008
    I'll be around before then but I'll try and hold off on actually starting until midnight. If we have lots of people that can't stay late we may start earlier though.

Luckily it's very easy to jump into this game in the middle and quickly catch up on how things are going.

edit: To Clarify the irc channel is #bombfell on irc.slashnet.org

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Well, I got an IRC client this morning before work and connected to irc.slashnet.org and didn't see the #bombfell channel... I assume you'll make it? (I really have almost no idea how IRC works...one of the few things I don't really know about)
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Luckily it's very easy to jump into this game in the middle and quickly catch up on how things are going.

Perfect, if you start I'll just plan on jumping in then.

kuhlmeye on
    edited July 2008
    Bombfell is pretty deserted most days but we'll be there, rest assured.

SUPERSUGA on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I saw this thread and was undecided, I have no idea from the rules if it's role playing or just strategy based, but now I definitely think I'll show up tomorrow. It was the parrot event that sold me.

Bremen on
    edited July 2008
    Bremen wrote: »
    I saw this thread and was undecided, I have no idea from the rules if it's role playing or just strategy based, but now I definitely think I'll show up tomorrow. It was the parrot event that sold me.

It is hilarity based mostly

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2008
    Bremen wrote: »

It is hilarity based mostly
    Pretty much. Obviously the better you organise the castaways the more chance you have of surviving and eventually escaping, but the real fun of the game is in the stuff that you don't have control over. It's unusual in that I've found a lot of people have enjoyed the game by mostly watching and chipping in with comments. It's a very social thing and I'm still not really sure how to categorise the game.

Basically it helps to not get too hung up on the mechanics of everything and instead focus on the hilarity of people getting their arms bitten off by crocodiles and such.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    I'll have a go at this if I'm not to busy later today. I should be home by then anyway.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    I have had complications, but will still try to be in the game sometime between 9 and 10 pm GMT. See you there!

Vic on
    edited July 2008
    Well I'm sitting in #bombfell now on irc.slashnet.org and will be half-paying attention until kickoff time.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Okay slight change of plan because INNS is unhelpful and a bad person.

The server is now irc.magicstar.net and the room is #TeenIsland

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Okay slight change of plan because INNS is unhelpful and a bad person.

The server is now irc.magicstar.net and the room is #TeenIsland

Blame Microsoft, please.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2008
    I haven't used an IRC program in years, I've connected to the server but I can't find the channel, or has the game already ended?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Game's over, unfortunately. We'll probably play again though. It was fun.

kuhlmeye on
    edited July 2008
    Oh well, I was afraid it would be, but I had to try.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Was fun and I think you've actually set the record for the smallest number of castaways to actually make it off the island (five out of a starting twelve), congratulations!

I got some general positive feedback and one suggestion but if there's anything else you guys have thought of it'd be good to hear it, this is still the playtesting phase afterall.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited July 2008
    Poor Leif, he was made for greater things. The ending was pretty brutal, but rather fitting to the game.

I had fun, when do you think the next playtest will be?

Vic on
    edited July 2008
    Well you don't really need me there, so feel free to play it with other people, the more opinions I can get the better!

Technically you can play solo but it's not nearly as much fun without someone there to share it with. If you do run something just be sure to let me know on here and I'll try and make it, but I won't be arranging anything myself for a little while due to other commitments.

SUPERSUGA on