As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek Online - Engage!

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still don't get why they canned a game that was so close to done. As a fantasy MMO it wasn't all that special, but I was tempted just for the chance to be a demigod with my own personal army.

Scooter on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    they ran out of money?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm still pissed they shitcanned Gods and Heroes to devote all their attention to this game.

You know, Gods and Heroes, the MMO that was way more polished than AoC currently is, but that got canceled last year before it even entered open beta?

No, that was when the game was being developed by Perpetual. The company was going under, canned Gods, tried some shady deal to transfer the Trek license to a "different" company (P2, which was basically the same guys), and eventually lost everything.

Cryptic Studios, an entirely separate developer, then bought the license to Trek and they are developing it now.

ooh, there was more intrigue than I even knew about!

at any rate, I enjoyed the closed beta of that game very much. crazy how much work went to waste there.

DiscoZombie on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The same day I planned to go in and pre-order Gods and Heroes, after having played the beta for ONE day, was the day it got shit canned. I was all kinds of sad. The animations were amazing and I loved the sound of the player controlled squads at higher levels. No G&H for Accualt and no Marvel Online for Accualt. Next up: Accualt dies before Warhammer is released or the fate worse than death: the 40k MMO is a steaming pile of shit.

Accualt on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »
    Keep all your hippie holo-deck shit.

I'm not playing this unless I can roll a Borg.

explore the galaxy and encounter new life and new civilizations , then assimilate them for upgrades.

It will never happen. they'd be too overpowered.

nerf borg!!!1111!!1111!!! plz k thx bai

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I still don't get why they canned a game that was so close to done. As a fantasy MMO it wasn't all that special, but I was tempted just for the chance to be a demigod with my own personal army.
    Yeah, I played the beta for a day and quite enjoyed myself. Firmly in the "nothing too special, but a fun distraction" territory, which already put it above most MMOs really. I never even got high enough to see how it worked with full squads and summons. :(

Glal on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm saddened that no one has mentioned EGATrek yet.

zomg USE THE DEATH RAY!

VTrek was better. Also, everyone in this thread needs to play Starfleet Command. Any of the three will do, really.

If you play any of the ST games it quickly becomes clear that a single player (plus CPU) is more than adequate for running the ship. It's difficult to see how people would find it not boring (from a gameplay perspective) to split up the duties that are already barely enough to keep just one player occupied.

So, I'm glad we'll be getting our own ships.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited July 2008
    Yea, I'm pretty much the opposite of people only interested in ship sim'ing. If I can't be captain, then I'm not interested in playing. Unless it was all away-team based and the ships are just for looks.

Scooter on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    don't you want to be that guy who stands at one of the consoles to the sides and is always the first to get killed by a console overload?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    don't you want to be that guy who stands at one of the consoles to the sides and is always the first to get killed by a console overload?

I want to be the guy that manufactures faulty consoles that start exploding the moment the shields go down.

Garthor on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    to be honest my cold, dead heart is so embittered by the multitide of motherfucking terrible MMORPGs out there that i can't get excited about any of them.

especially ones that can't provide any real info about the game.

Pony on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    to be honest my cold, dead heart is so embittered by the multitide of motherfucking terrible MMORPGs out there that i can't get excited about any of them.

especially ones that can't provide any real info about the game.

I propose killing this thread until they translate the 19 pages of questions into something sort of like a FAQ, or until they show gameplay footage from their Las Vegas convention event which I believe is in something like 10 days. Maybe then we can get an OP that doesn't suck. :wink:

SammyF on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Give 'em a chance, they just announced the darned thing. A pretty impressive announcement launch, with a gameplay trailer in something like 10 days I believe.

Akinos on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

explore the galaxy and encounter new life and new civilizations , then assimilate them for upgrades.

Now I want to see a rant about the Borg in Voyager written in MMORPG forum post style.

jothki on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    nourish wrote: »
    Third page and no one has mentioned star fleet battles yet?

The old pen/paper game which was the model for the star trek starfleet command games.

Thank god I am not the only person here who's played that pen and paper game. I loved that game.

Playing it felt like being an accoutant though.

Arrath on
    edited August 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    nourish wrote: »
    Third page and no one has mentioned star fleet battles yet?

The old pen/paper game which was the model for the star trek starfleet command games.

Thank god I am not the only person here who's played that pen and paper game. I loved that game.

Playing it felt like being an accoutant though.

so is that where EVE got its combat model from?

oh ho ho

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Now I want to see a rant about the Borg in Voyager written in MMORPG forum post style.

Positive or negative? I've actually heard both.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jothki wrote: »

Positive or negative? I've actually heard both.

Something about how they're constantly being nerfed and can't stand up to anything else any more.

jothki on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They shouldn't even announce MMO's until they have a solid gameplay video with mechanics, locals, and different races/make ups.

I need to have a very detailed look into any MMO before I'll get even remotely interested.

Endomatic on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    Which is something you can already do in Star Trek-based MUXes and MU*s.

It's really shocking sometimes how much text-base gaming is still ahead of MMOs.

In certain aspects.

I still have some 20-odd pages of HELP printouts that explain how to read and adjust an engineering console on a Klingon Bird of Prey from one of the TNG MU*'s. And that was in 1993.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2008
    Star Trek nerds

Nerdy nerds or the nerdiest nerds?

Scooter on
    edited August 2008
    Said a gaming forum mod.

Glal on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    o snap

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Which is something you can already do in Star Trek-based MUXes and MU*s.

It's really shocking sometimes how much text-base gaming is still ahead of MMOs.

In certain aspects.

I still have some 20-odd pages of HELP printouts that explain how to read and adjust an engineering console on a Klingon Bird of Prey from one of the TNG MU*'s. And that was in 1993.

It, um, probably bears mentioning that there's a reason none of these games builds up a significant enough player base to justify the expenditure of resources necessary to make a game that *isn't* a MU*.

And I say this as someone who played sci-fi MUDs for a long time, as someone who thought finicking with the engineering panels was one of the best parts of ST:TNG - A Final Unity, and as someone who once (I can't believe I'm admitting this) LARPed a chief engineer in my star trek fan club--I WAS 11 YEARS OLD LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE.

Ahem. Anyway, I know there's a limit to which most gamers will subject themselves to. Teaching themselves a fake version of nuclear physics is beyond that limit.

SammyF on
  • humorbot5humorbot5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have they made any suggestion as to the amount of races available in this game?

humorbot5 on
    Humorbot.png

That's (h)yoōmərbät NOT ˈhəmərbät
    "Otacon, I'm getting really fucking sick of this fucking mission, let's go to KFC"
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did I read Klingon or Human only somewhere?

SpongeCake on
  • humorbot5humorbot5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I heard about this as an idea for a game like two years ago or something ridiculous when the other company was talking about doing it.
    I think they were chatting some shit about Human, Klingon, Vulcan etc. But I dunno. It's all a mystery now.

I would assume they'd give you some sort of choice as to which race you go with.
    Unfortunately there are quite a lot of species in good old Star Trek.

humorbot5 on
    Humorbot.png

That's (h)yoōmərbät NOT ˈhəmərbät
    "Otacon, I'm getting really fucking sick of this fucking mission, let's go to KFC"
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://trekmovie.com/2008/08/09/first-details-emerge-on-new-star-trek-online-new-in-game-images/

The latest info we have until the unveiling of actual footage in Vegas tomorrow.

Ceno on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    humorbot5 wrote:
    Well I heard about this as an idea for a game like two years ago or something ridiculous when the other company was talking about doing it.
    I think they were chatting some shit about Human, Klingon, Vulcan etc. But I dunno. It's all a mystery now.

I would assume they'd give you some sort of choice as to which race you go with.
    Unfortunately there are quite a lot of species in good old Star Trek.

Well, according to the article posted by Ceno, the two factions available at the begnning are Federation and Klingon, however you choose what species you will be within that faction and can even create your own alien species potentially.

Plus I imagine, they're probably saving some stuff for expansions and the like as well. Heck you could do a whole expansion pack on the Romulans/Vulcans alone really.

Operative21 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess if they want different factions, like WoW's Horde/Alliance, then they are limited somewhat. Otherwise yeah, there are dozens of races to use. Off the top of my head:

Human
    Vulcan
    Andorian
    ...Those blue ones with the line down the middle (the barber in TNG was one of them)

Depending on when the game is set:
    Klingon
    Romulan
    Bajoran
    Cardassian

There's really no excuse for them having to limit themselves to Homo Sapian.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SaltLickSaltLick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Press conference going on right now on the official website. Sounds interesting but I guess we'll see.

SaltLick on
    edited August 2008
    I'll opt for the Kirk method of creating your own alien species

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gameplay trailer is up on their site.

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos

Looks better than I expected.

Shens on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    Gameplay trailer is up on their site.

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos

Looks better than I expected.
    Yeah, it dose look really good.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Especially considering Jack said it would be out in "under three years." So plenty of time for content and polish.

Accualt on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Star Trek nerd in me is now very excited.

The theme music for that show is always good.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Star Trek Online goddamn.

That trailer is the most amazing shit I have ever seen.

So pumped. So pumped.

I will set phaser to kill on all bitches who play as Klingons. I will grind Borg then I will beam down to a planet and have sex with all of their beautiful women. My shirt will get ripped off in a battle with a Gorn and then I will mannishly punch a Ferengi in his large brained face.

This will be the most awesome shit ever.

LibrarianThorne on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fucking hell, exploration as a major gameplay component? This sounds like Starflight Online.

fucking sold

edit:: I would've liked to see some ui, though.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2008
    If the game is ~2 years away the UI will change completely about 5 times before the final product.

Glal on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    If the game is ~2 years away the UI will change completely about 5 times before the final product.

Case in point: Conan.

not to be a pessimist or anything =p

DiscoZombie on