As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    these are two really good options

get two of either or one of each and you're pretty much set (i am awesome and have both :o )

Alternatively, you could quest for http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9651 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=20648.

Armor is turning out to be a bigger pain in the ass for my shaman alt, since I'd rather not have to run instances and any lowbie gear I'd want at the AH costs $Texas. F*ck inflation.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • dpw2atoxdpw2atox Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So on mmo-champion.com there's a blue post about some changes coming to Shaman in future Beta patches....

- Spirit Wolves will have abilities (like a stun, snare etc.) and will serve as a DPS timer. We'll be working on a Shaman polish very soon.

- Lightning Bolt always had a higher coefficient than similar bolt spells. This was because there weren't as much/any nature damage debuffs. Now that they exist, we're restoring Lightning Bolt to it's intended coefficient. Your DPS in a raid setting will if anything be higher with these changes.

- You should have to sorta swap between the two based on the situation (water and lightning), based on if you need mana or not. It also sort of has to do with your itemization.

- Paralysis is being replaced with something soon, along with a few other changes to deep Elemental. (Source)

dpw2atox on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What does "DPS timer" mean?

Henroid on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think they mean situations where you have to pump out a lot of extra damage in a short period of time. That would be places where you start busting out cooldowns.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dpw2atox wrote: »
    - You should have to sorta swap between the two based on the situation (water and lightning), based on if you need mana or not. It also sort of has to do with your itemization.

If that's the case lightning shield should give a different bonus other than just the dmg it puts out, maybe spell damage/atk power or something.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    IT was in reference to enhance shamans... and it costs no mana now. Combined with Static Shock it's going to be pretty sweet.

Mgcw on
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    IT was in reference to enhance shamans... and it costs no mana now. Combined with Static Shock it's going to be pretty sweet.

Lightning Shield costs no mana?? o_O

SabinXL on
    edited July 2008
    SabinXL wrote: »

Lightning Shield costs no mana?? o_O

Yup, currently mana-free in beta.

Mgcw on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kabuki64 wrote: »
    On my resto shaman I only ever use 3 totems, mana spring (or mana tide when its up), wrath of air, stoneskin totem, sometimes if I dont have mana issues healing anyone I'll toss out the random fire totem. Of course if I'm put in the melee dps group I change things up accordingly, but most of the time unless your elemental you'll only be using 3 totems at a time.

I'm resto and rarely use fire. Here's what I do use. If you guys can think of more I'd love advice.

Magma
    In Hyjal even as resto I'm always laying Magma around the AoE pile. Hitting 12+ mobs for 250 per tick is well worth a few hundred mana.
    Also when hunters pop snakes in PvP.

Searing
    when i'm solo or PvP dueling

Fire ele
    When I'm solo or PvP
    Last few % on a newish boss

Nova
    I don't really find much of a use for as resto. It's a great burst pre-magma but mana intensive and I don't have + fire talents

Frost Resist
    Situational PvE
    ES & Grounding on CD and I see a blue ball in a mages hand during PvP...
    Dunno if it gets you out of Ice Trap. All the better if it does.

Flametongue
    If I've got a feral druid and rogues I tend to use this + GoA. Rogues don't seem to complain.

Hembot on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    Flametongue
    If I've got a feral druid and rogues I tend to use this + GoA. Rogues don't seem to complain.
    That's because they're just using Deadly Poison on their MH instead.

Speaking of Flametounge, I've been dropping WF for pally tanks since day one, pretty much, but I hopped on my old server to say hi and poke around with the old crew. These guys all believe that WoA + Flametounge is best for pally tanks, but I've never heard such a thing. Any thoughts?

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WoA benefits a prot pally miles more than WF will, because paladins tank through spell damage so a physical damage boost is of no benefit, Flametongue doesn't really make any difference, it doesn't add to pally TPS significantly.

815165 on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's true. Wrath of Air gives them more spell damage which is what they use to generate threat. WF is rather mediocre for pally tanks.

reVerse on
  • Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well hot damn, there's something new. Of course, maybe said pally tanks were fine on threat and just wanted to top the damage meters.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For that, too, they would benefit more from WoA seeing as they're using 41dps caster weapons.

reVerse on
    edited August 2008
    For all intents and purposes, consider protadins casters and not melee.

815165 on
    edited August 2008
    The range of all “friendly totems” has been increased to 30 yards, up from 20.

For WotLK, fucking finally.

Mgcw on
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So. I'm gearing up my Ele shaman right now with honor gear, and I'm just wondering what I should be gemming like. Specifically my helm metagem. I was reading around the Elitist Jerks forums and saw that they think that Spell Haste is more useful than Spell Crit in PvP, since Resil is just sooo fun. What do you guys think? Right now I've been just going Crit + Damage gems, but I'm thinking about switching them out once I get all my gear and can just do it all in one fell swoop.

Oh, also what helm enchant should I get? I'm totally new to Elemental Shaman gearing...

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • ewichernewichern Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shabutie wrote: »
    So. I'm gearing up my Ele shaman right now with honor gear, and I'm just wondering what I should be gemming like. Specifically my helm metagem. I was reading around the Elitist Jerks forums and saw that they think that Spell Haste is more useful than Spell Crit in PvP, since Resil is just sooo fun. What do you guys think? Right now I've been just going Crit + Damage gems, but I'm thinking about switching them out once I get all my gear and can just do it all in one fell swoop.

Oh, also what helm enchant should I get? I'm totally new to Elemental Shaman gearing...

For PvP? And still gearing up? I'd go with the 18sta/5% stun resist meta (Powerful Earthstorm) and similarly you'll want the SSO rep head enchant for Sta/Resil.

ewichern on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Listen to the EJ forum. If they say spell haste, then socket spell haste. Spell crit only works if you get to cast and comes in pretty low values in gems compared to what is already on your PvP gear. Besides, spell haste gets crazy when you pop blood lust/heroism.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm back on my 70 shaman, what is good in the world of bar and totem mods, alos any others which are viewed as essential?

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WF is not just an extra attack for pallies. It does increase their threat, via extra SoR procs, It's not great, but it's something. Just saying, it's not completely useless.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited August 2008
    WF is not just an extra attack for pallies. It does increase their threat, via extra SoR procs, It's not great, but it's something. Just saying, it's not completely useless.
    It's pretty much made useless by the fact you'd have to choose WF over WoA, though. An extra SoR proc every now and again is pretty useless for TPS considering no other Pally abilities benefit from it at all.

e: Especially once WF changes to 16-20% haste, then it's totally useless as opposed to being virtually useless now.

815165 on
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Louie wrote: »
    I'm back on my 70 shaman, what is good in the world of bar and totem mods, alos any others which are viewed as essential?

I don't use any mods for totem management because I've just bound all my keys. Using control, shift, and alt I've put all my totems and abilities damn close together. I really don't see a need for extra stuff, but I will admit I do not have stoneskin, or windwall, tranquil air up on my bars.

I find clique to be very useful for healing and spamming purge on my targets target. The talk about OPie, in the UI thread, seems to be something that could greatly help with totem management.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
    edited August 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    e: Especially once WF changes to 16-20% haste, then it's totally useless as opposed to being virtually useless now.

You're right, WoA is better. I'm just saying it doesn't do nothing.

20% haste is not completely useless either. Haste is fine. Same effect as WF, really. More SoR procs. It's why tanks favor fast weapons.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So starting my second account this morning I decided to play a shaman since they and priests are the two classes I had a horrible time with {I had no idea what I was doing with my earlier try at playing a shaman to level 22}

Does it really matter outside of a look what race I choose? I am thinking about a troll shaman and I kind of want to play a elemental/resto type I used to see them all the time in vallina wow

Brainleech on
  • Xeroxed SoulXeroxed Soul Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never had to sue an addon to drop totems.. it becomes routine and you just set them up along the bottom left+right action bars. you'll learn that a lot of the totems are completely useless and they're giving them a revamp (still say we need to be able to place out totems within x yds of the shaman and give them aoe indicators much like any other aoe spell

Xeroxed Soul on
    It's not enough! I need more! Nothing seems to satisfy!
    I don't want it! I just need it! To breath, to feel, to know I'm alive!
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The range of all “friendly totems” has been increased to 30 yards, up from 20.

For WotLK, fucking finally.

And they're replacing the totem mastery talent with this sweet number.

Edit:
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So starting my second account this morning I decided to play a shaman since they and priests are the two classes I had a horrible time with {I had no idea what I was doing with my earlier try at playing a shaman to level 22}

Does it really matter outside of a look what race I choose? I am thinking about a troll shaman and I kind of want to play a elemental/resto type I used to see them all the time in vallina wow

The horde shaman races don't really have any racials that benefit the class in any remarkable way. Blood Fury and Berserking are nice for non-resto shammys. Orc's axe specialization seems good for enhancement, but you're going to be bound to fist weapons at end game. IMO, cosmetics of the race play the most important role in rolling a character.

Also, I don't use any bar addons, but I use YATA as a totem manager. It hasn't been updated in a while, but it should still work with the current patch. If you're looking for timers, get Saeris's mod, it's great.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »

I've always loved Tauren for aesthetics and also Warstomp being the only cc we have, I say it's all aesthetics for us baring one or two useful racials for each (warstomp for tauren which I see as more helpful, Berserking for Trolls, and Orcs have fury/axe expertise if you go enhance)

Typhus733 on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does toughness help against the pvp rape of enhancers?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can tell you that a resisted stun on a resto shaman is disasterous for a rogue. Enhancment is easy either way.

Scroffus on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have finally gotten back into playing WoW and put together a troll shaman, but since I haven't played since I guess it was around the original release I've been trying to catch up. I have a question if anyone would be so kind as to help me out:

Is there a particular profession combination that benefits shamans the most?

I always used to go engineering (with any toon I had pretty much), and it was fun so I was leaning towards eng + mining. My gameplan is to go enhancement until I get to higher levels then respec to resto-something when I get into the raiding/PvP stuff (I've never gotten above level 40 without unsubscribing so this plan may be horrific). Any comments suggestions? I figured this is a better place than the profession thread since it pertains specifically to a shaman.

Thanks in advance!

WingedWeasel on
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Leveling a shaman to 40 is horrific. It does improve somewhat when you get windfury but it's still slow....until you finally get dual wield at 40 and then stuff just starts falling over dead.

Engineering has the goggles, the mote extractor + all the other neat toys and new stuff coming in the xpac. Jewelcrafting or Inscription(new thingie for the xpac) might not be bad either.

Poketpixie on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    won't the 20% haste instead of extra weapon hits mean much less damage for enhancers?
    or is it only the WF totem that's being changed, not the enchant?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I have a level 70 Resto Shaman with sub-par gear. I want to start doing heroics and gearing up for raiding, around what amount of +heal do I need to start heroics?

Right now I have a paltry 816 +heal unbuffed :(

My armoury profile if anyone's bothered

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    won't the 20% haste instead of extra weapon hits mean much less damage for enhancers?
    or is it only the WF totem that's being changed, not the enchant?

Just the totem.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited August 2008
    You guys (Enh Shammies) are in for a fucking treat come wrath. I hopped on my buddy's 70 Shammy on the Beta Server last night, and.... wow. 3% crit and 170 AP from 1 totem, 20% haste from another. Instant Lightning Bolts/Chain Lightning, shorter CD on Stormstrike, AP from INT, AP from AGI. Just.... wow. WOW I SAY. A TREAT.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You guys (Enh Shammies) are in for a fucking treat come wrath. I hopped on my buddy's 70 Shammy on the Beta Server last night, and.... wow. 3% crit and 170 AP from 1 totem, 20% haste from another. Instant Lightning Bolts/Chain Lightning, shorter CD on Stormstrike, AP from INT, AP from AGI. Just.... wow. WOW I SAY. A TREAT.

It all sounds good on paper, but it's really not. Static shock and maelstrom weapons will never see use when out and about soloing, and probably won't see use anywhere outside of boss fights due to how mana intensive they are (though perhaps with a new rank of watershield, maelstrom weapon will at least be usable). The int change is extremely meh. I will be shocked if the int > ap talent gets us off of leather being best in slot. The totem changes though, and the agi to ap change are both extremely nice.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited August 2008
    Arkady wrote: »

It all sounds good on paper, but it's really not. Static shock and maelstrom weapons will never see use when out and about soloing, and probably won't see use anywhere outside of boss fights due to how mana intensive they are (though perhaps with a new rank of watershield, maelstrom weapon will at least be usable). The int change is extremely meh. I will be shocked if the int > ap talent gets us off of leather being best in slot. The totem changes though, and the agi to ap change are both extremely nice.

I think you'll find that Mail Items are now far more useful for you than they previously were. And on paper my ass. It's fun as shit. My friend's shaman went from 1300 AP to 1900 unbuffed without changing any of his gear. Plus, Spriests will be regenning your mana now, if they make that raid-wide (sounds like they plan to), and Shamanistic Rage will return even more Mana now, with your increased AP. No matter how you slice it, this is a huge buff to the Enh Shaman. And honestly, who's talking about soloing? You will shine in Raids/PvP.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you'll find that Mail Items are now far more useful for you than they previously were. And on paper my ass. It's fun as shit. My friend's shaman went from 1300 AP to 1900 unbuffed without changing any of his gear. Plus, Spriests will be regenning your mana now, if they make that raid-wide (sounds like they plan to), and Shamanistic Rage will return even more Mana now, with your increased AP. No matter how you slice it, this is a huge buff to the Enh Shaman. And honestly, who's talking about soloing? You will shine in Raids/PvP.

1. Mail items are certainly more useful with the new talents. If the talents were to go live today, I'd actually start giving half a shit about my t6. That doesn't mean they will be the best though, and I don't think they will. At the end of the day, we share more in common, need-wise, with rogues than we do hunters. I do suspect that I will be wearing more mail than I used to though.

2. I didn't say the changes weren't fun. Static shock and maelstrom are both certainly entertaining. The problem is that neither is sustainable while solo grinding. I will also bet a large hat that they will remain unsustainable while instancing. The optimal stormstrike > flame shock > lavaburst rotation will run you a little short of 1k mana every 8-10 seconds. On my current mana pool, I could do that... for 50 seconds before going oom. Even assuming I switch to a pile of mail gear that has int on it, I don't expect to get above 7k mana, which wouldn't change much anyway.

New judgement of wisdom might change up my opinion, but unless they drastically change the threat mechanic on power gains, no shadow priest would ever run his mana battery if it affected a whole 25 man raid, it would be suicide.

I;m not saying it isn't a great time to be an enh shaman. The ghost wolf talent, hex, totem changes and agi to ap are all extremely, extremelyl awesome. The int to ap is a small amount less so. Static shock and maelstrom weapon, though, are not. And the way spirit wolves have been shaping up, they won't be either.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
This discussion has been closed.