As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Virtual Console controllers vs Super Mario World

2»

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Vulpine wrote: »
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

I'm sure they're reasonably priced as well </sarcasm>

Actually, they are. I have one and i costed me only a little more than an actual classic controller. And they're nice as hell.

Well fuck me. What's the button-mapping setup vs. the classic? Identical names, SNES locations?

Absolutely identical. From the texture of the plastic to the size of the controller to the mapping of buttons, there's no way to tell this isn't a normal SNES controller.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

Actually, they are. I have one and i costed me only a little more than an actual classic controller. And they're nice as hell.

the cheapest one on ebay right now is $58 shipped

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The GCN's dpad is fine. It's the same one on the GBA. I have massive basketball palming hands, and I find the pad perfectly useable, unlike the PSX line or the 360's pad.

I feel bad for anyone playing retro games on either PSN (yeah right) or XBLA.

You are insane. The D-pad on the GCN and GBA suck terribly. I was so glad when they improved it with the SP and DS. 360 d-pad is pretty bad, and the psx d-pad works well though I could see why people have ergonomic issues with it.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    The GCN's dpad is fine. It's the same one on the GBA. I have massive basketball palming hands, and I find the pad perfectly useable, unlike the PSX line or the 360's pad.

You are insane. The D-pad on the GCN and GBA suck terribly. I was so glad when they improved it with the SP and DS. 360 d-pad is pretty bad, and the psx d-pad works well though I could see why people have ergonomic issues with it.

The truth is green.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

Well fuck me. What's the button-mapping setup vs. the classic? Identical names, SNES locations?

Absolutely identical. From the texture of the plastic to the size of the controller to the mapping of buttons, there's no way to tell this isn't a normal SNES controller.

I've got one too and I highly recommend it. Mine was about £25 off eBay.

Cullen on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    I actually had a question about this.

A few weeks ago I tried to play Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the VC with my friend, but couldn't get the thing to recognize my GC controllers at all. Although it ended well enough (we just played River City Ransom instead with my two Wii remotes), I don't understand what happened.

So, is there something special that has to be done for VC games to recognize GC controllers? Was it because I tried to use a Classic controller and a GC controller at the same time?

I'm pretty sure Mystical Ninja tells you that it requires a classic controller to play it when you download.

Argh...thanks for the answer. It does say that, I just didn't know that when it says that it really means it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    greeble wrote: »

The truth is green.
    There hasn't been a truly good d-pad from ANY of the big three (be it Nintendo, Microsoft OR Sony) since the original GBA (the one with no backlight). ALL of them are mediocre to sucky. My conspiracy theory is that they do this just to push demand for control stick or touch screen controlled games.

Opium on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Original DS has an amazing D-pad.

The only problem with the GBA SP/GCN D-pad is the size, the feel and responsiveness is top notch.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The d-pad on the classic controller is great. Nintendo makes the only really good d-pad, as far as I'm concerned, but the GBA and GC ones are too small to be perfect. The best one was on the Super NES pad, and I think the classic mimics that pretty well.

I also have no problems with the Playstation d-pads, but for some reason, Microsoft's suck so bad. I love the 360 controller, but that d-pad is nearly useless.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018