As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That was a really good movie. It worked as a crime thriller in its own right, even if you didn't have the characters involved.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So let's talk about the next movie. Good, bad, potentially bad but probably going to end up good...?

Quoth on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They could state that the villains for the third film will be Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Clayface and Harley Quinn and I'd still have unshakeable faith that it'd be pure awesome.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman is so awesome.

I love how they get the best casts ever for these movies.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    So let's talk about the next movie. Good, bad, potentially bad but probably going to end up good...?

That article kinda made it sound like the studio was trying to snatch up commitments from actors for any villain they could think of just in case a role was included. Of course, with the kind of bank this one is generating the studios probably can't throw money at the next one fast enough.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just in case? The script will probably be written based on whoever makes the commitment.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

That article kinda made it sound like the studio was trying to snatch up commitments from actors for any villain they could think of just in case a role was included. Of course, with the kind of bank this one is generating the studios probably can't throw money at the next one fast enough.

I highly doubt the truth to that article. Nolan has said it again and again that he'd never use The Penguin or Catwoman in his new batman universe, and Nolan has ALOT of pull in the franchise - he writes the damn thing with his brother and their team of writers. If the studios even piss him off, they know they're in for some shit.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is it too early to speculate, then, on who could/should/will be in the next movie?

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I highly doubt the truth to that article. Nolan has said it again and again that he'd never use The Penguin or Catwoman in his new batman universe, and Nolan has ALOT of pull in the franchise - he writes the damn thing with his brother and their team of writers. If the studios even piss him off, they know they're in for some shit.

He might budge for Philip Seymour Hoffman, might he not?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

He might budge for Philip Seymour Hoffman, might he not?

Well, the more I think about it, the more I could see PSH doing the role. I mean, he can play pretty badass characters but I don't know if Nolan would be up for it.

Depp as the Riddler is a wishy-washy casting choice for me. I mean, don't get me wrong he's done some great stuff but I'm just not sure I can picture him playing the Riddler.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A Nolan Riddler would probably be a huge departure from prior incarnations of the character, so there's no telling whether or not Depp would be good for the role.

And Hoffman was a pretty good villain in Mission Impossible 3.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Did he say why he would never use either of those characters?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php/angelina-jolie-to-play-catwoman/2008/08/01/

I like Jolie, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea after the last clusterfuck of a Catwoman movie.

Forar on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A Nolan Riddler would probably be a huge departure from prior incarnations of the character, so there's no telling whether or not Depp would be good for the role.

And Hoffman was a pretty good villain in Mission Impossible 3.

Hoffman was by far the best thing about MI3. When I saw it I was astounded how evil the character came through as - made most other villains seem impotent in comparison.

I had a similar reaction to Ledger's Joker, but I was more or less expecting it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    http://www.tribute.ca/news/index.php/angelina-jolie-to-play-catwoman/2008/08/01/

I like Jolie, but I'm not so sure this is a good idea after the last clusterfuck of a Catwoman movie.

Third time's a charm?

Maybe if she were in the third Batman movie, but I don't know... :|

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm so fucking tired of Angelina Jolie.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't really care for talking about the next movie. I just want to enjoy and talk about this one. Its too overwhelming to think about anything afterward.

bychance on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »

Third time's a charm?

Maybe if she were in the third Batman movie, but I don't know... :|

You didn't like Michelle Pfeiffer?

Michelle_Pfeiffer_Batman_Returns_poster_Cat_Woman.jpg
    catwoman_michelle.jpg

bychance on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    say what you like about that movie (and it was awful) but michelle pfeifer was awesome in it

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I loved her in that movie. When she does the back handsprings out of the building and then it explodes... Classic.

Quoth on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only Catwoman scene I can really remember is when she's on top of Batman and leans down to kiss him but then she licks his face instead.

Which, I mean, come on.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd fuck the hell out of her.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I strongly suspect most heterosexual males would (opinions preferences lol), but after the travesty that was the last "Catwoman" (in no way affiliated with the DC character Catwoman) fiasco, I'm surprised that they're even looking at another such film.

Forar on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure they aren't actually casting for the Batman sequel yet. I'm also pretty sure that Nolan and co. don't exactly know what the plot of the third movie is yet.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    they may not be casting, but they can still negotiate with the big names in order to see how the third one will shape up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pfft. Everyone knows the plot of the 3rd Batman.

Batman fights crime.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think they may be sending out feelers to see if they're willing to be in a Batman movie, and if they'd be available, but I really doubt Angelina Jolie would be in a Nolan Batman movie. Not that she wouldn't be open to the idea, but she doesn't seem to fit in that universe.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    really it depends on how much control Warner Brothers would exert if she was game. Because you know she'd bring in some money

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    senorita lipsy and her murderous moppets

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    she can play female ventriloquist

joe pesci as scarface

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    really it depends on how much control Warner Brothers would exert if she was game. Because you know she'd bring in some money

I don't think "bringing in money" is a problem right now

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you can always bring in more though

always

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you can always bring in more though

always

The fundamentals of Hollywood.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah but with someone as big as Jolie you have to weigh what it'd take to get her against how much she'd actually bring in.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, the Batman franchise does not need a version of Kevin and Tim-Tom.

Moppetstruce.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You shut your lying whore mouth.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah but with someone as big as Jolie you have to weigh what it'd take to get her against how much she'd actually bring in.

I agree with this completely, and therein lies the rub. How much would it take? That's probably what the negotiations are about. Then again, I wonder how much all the promotions for Dark Knight cost since it was massive. Could justify a smaller ad campaign to bring in Jolie.

Again, this is all theoretical.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I agree with this completely, and therein lies the rub. How much would it take? That's probably what the negotiations are about. Then again, I wonder how much all the promotions for Dark Knight cost since it was massive. Could justify a smaller ad campaign to bring in Jolie.

I think at this point, if Nolan doesn't want to use her, or have Catwoman in the story, it won't happen. Which is kind of the sticking point in my mind, because I'm not sure that he'd feel the need to revisit one of the things the older Batman movies actually got pretty close to right

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I think at this point, if Nolan doesn't want to use her, or have Catwoman in the story, it won't happen. Which is kind of the sticking point in my mind, because I'm not sure that he'd feel the need to revisit one of the things the older Batman movies actually got pretty close to right

It really depends on the relationship between him and the executives in charge on whether nor not he can just out and out veto something the studios really want. Also, it depends on if they really want this or are just fishing around ideas.

I am just playing Devil's Advocate here, though

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    First of all, what is it with Americans cheering at movies? In Blighty, breathing too loud's enough to get you stern looks from most cinemagoers.

Second, I'm surprised to see such unanimous praise. It was a good film, with a couple of great moments, but there were a lot of weaknesses. It was overly conceited, self-indulgent, and damn was the pacing off in places. It's not worth talking about the good parts (of which there were many) as everyone else has done that already, but there were moments where the film nearly fell apart for its over-elaborate, under-executed plot.

Bob The Monkey on