As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

**PRE-PAX 2008 DINNER: THANKS AND AFTERMATH**

• Options
    magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I suppose I should order the tickets for myself and my friend soon

magiic on
  • Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Astayonix wrote: »
    For the rest of yous mugs, when you come and check into the dinner, we'll ask you if you need a taxi afterwards, and if so, what your destination is (back to the hotel district, pub crawl, movie, creepy foggy swamp, random location x). We'll tally that up during the dinner and call a cab company to dispatch however many cabs we need for people who've requested them and have them come once dinner's over. Then we'll annouce over the loud speaker that the taxis are here, and have people pile into cabs based on their final destination (you guys can also hash out who rides with who amongst yourselves after dinner). You guys can then split the fare. That should ensure that we have enough taxis for people to make it to their next destination safely. If you need a taxi, bring cash with you because they HATE splitting fare over a bunch of credit cards. I'm also not going to arrange taxis weeks in advance because there's too much going on with other aspects of the dinner - sorry.

sounds awesome to me! much better planned ^^b

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As awesome as it'd be to see astayonix again, I'm going to have to skip this year, I doubt we'll make it to seattle in time for this.

But don't worry miss, I'll bring you pizza on another night ♥

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We'll be getting 3 tickets this week...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the transit front, how about this? Those who volunteer during the dinner will of course get driven to their next stop (be it the hotel district downtown or wherever the pub crawl happens to be once dinner's over) by ElectricTurtle and me - free of charge. Those are volunteers only.

That sounds great. I am hoping to make it to the Pre-PAX movie after we finish the cleanup, I hope we can get
    everything done quickly and efficiently.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys... what can we do to help publicize the need to pre-register? People need to know that (A) this event is awesome and (B) you guys absolutely need people to register... is there anywhere in particular that we can spread word about it that'd be particularly helpful? How goes the attempt to get Gabe & Tycho to mention it? Maybe Moe or Cardboard Tube would be willing to make it a forum-wise message?

I posted a Child's Play Changed My Life thread. hopefully, people will post / be inspired and get their tickets.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    With all this talk of Child's Play, I feel bound to remind people that money is only going to go there if we pass 200 people and have something left over.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just purchased two tickets!

magiic on
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just purchased two tickets as well! I'm looking forward to this!

Hammy on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    We'll be getting 3 tickets this week...
    LT, I just bought our three tickets for the dinner...we are in.

r

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I went ahead and pulled the trigger and registered. I have enough money for my hotel share, although I need to watch my spending to make sure I have cash for the weekend :p. But at least I'm fed for one day :p

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whytmage wrote: »
    Hey guys... what can we do to help publicize the need to pre-register? People need to know that (A) this event is awesome and (B) you guys absolutely need people to register... is there anywhere in particular that we can spread word about it that'd be particularly helpful? How goes the attempt to get Gabe & Tycho to mention it? Maybe Moe or Cardboard Tube would be willing to make it a forum-wise message?

I posted a Child's Play Changed My Life thread. hopefully, people will post / be inspired and get their tickets.

Aye, that was a very touching thread... I think I'm going to bump it back to the main page, those were some great and inspiring stories. I'm really glad that you guys shared them.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Countdown time! For those who haven't registered for the Pre-PAX 2008 Dinner, you have 20 days left before registration ends! Don't be "that guy" who shows up at the door and presents $30 and a smile - I guarentee that you'll have that $30 when you trudge away, but your smile will be upside down :( Instead, register today (link in my signature) so you can hang with all us cool cats to kick off the PAX weekend! See you there <3!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How is the count looking?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    How is the count looking?

Disconcerting. We're about halfway and only three weeks left. Granted, about 2/3s the cost scales, but I'm still not looking forward to eating the 1/3 that doesn't. The news post likely isn't happening, we've been rebuffed twice. We're trying to reach out to other communities, but with PAX prereg closed, I don't know how much traction that will have.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    =( By rebuffed, do you mean they ignored your message, or they outright denied it? =( =(

Ack, I was sure that we'd get the numbers to make this happen without you guys biting a massive bullet. =(

If you can't get a news post, what about a Forum Announcment post, like the one currently running right now called "Announcement: Welcome to the Penny Arcade Expo Forum! (READ THIS, PLEASE)"? I think those announcements show up in every sub-board, and they're for emergency purposes. I remember CT used it once when a former board Moderator was down on his luck and needed some money from an eBay auction. I'd say this is an equivalent state of emergency.

Plead with CT. If CT is coming to PAX, tell him that I'll buy him a pint if he helps out here. Getting the other Penny Arcade subforums to know about it may go a long way, and having a board-wide announcement will basically legitimize such an attempt.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The news post likely isn't happening, we've been rebuffed twice.

I am surprised and saddened by that.

D::(

Send an email to Joystiq and Kotaku asking for some publicity. Brain Crecente announced that he is going to
    PAX so maybe he'll post something for you. Kotaku prints emails that they send each other, maybe they could
    print the one you send them.

If the dinner does not end up being fully funded I would donate up to $250 so that you and your wife don't have
    to pay so much out of your pocket.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Outright denied, first because they thought we would be overwhelmed and second because they thought it would be unfair to the other community efforts that don't get news post coverage. Considering that Khoo created an aggregate thread of all the community events, I don't see why they couldn't just say 'hey check out all the community events' and link to the aggregate thread.

It would be more appropriate to ask Moe to go to CT. Preserves the chain of command so to speak, but I wonder how much of an impact it would make. After all, look at the number of views on the PAX forum annoucement... dismal.

Sending messages to relevant blogs is a good idea I hadn't thought of. I will look into that. Thanks.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If CT is coming to PAX...

He's not, I already asked him, just wondered.

Oh, my, does that sound creepy? I hope not.
    We could start a thread on every forum page, maybe? Or would the mods get annoyed and lock them? Maybe this is what will make me talk on Lewie and Willeth's podcast, cos there's a link to it on G&T.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Putting a link on every subforum would piss off the other mods to no end.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fair enough.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Maybe you could put in a good word with CT, Moe? I mean, let him know that this is really ElectricTurtle and Astayonix's butts on the line. =(

I think that's the big "newsworthy" distinction here between this and other pre-PAX events. None of the other events are going to end up with the person putting it on taking a massive hit if they don't hit expected numbers. =( I mean, I run the Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour, and I wouldn't feel slighted at all if the dinner got some news coverage. I could be wrong, but I imagine the people running the other events would feel the same way if they knew that ElectricTurtle and Astayonix actually had to front the money for the event beforehand. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll be honest here, I don't see CT caring about any of this. Truthfully, I think LPM would do a better job of getting to him than I would. On top of that, there's not a very large population of the forums that actually attends PAX. It would probably get more positive visibility if somebody brought it up in the PAX thread in G&T than anywhere.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    VT's right, plus you have the Valve cats going, who else is doing that?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aye, you're probably right. It's just a bummer.

EDIT: I'll go bring it up over in G&T, hopefully some will heed the call! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just purchased a ticket.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woot, awesome! =) Glad to have you aboard! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I cant believe more people arent going to this. It sounds like so many different kinds of awesome!

magiic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We're going to make sure this is the best year for the dinner EVER! :)

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    VT's right, plus you have the Valve cats going, who else is doing that?

Well one of the reasons I say "planned but not guaranteed" is that although Kim and Co. have said they're coming, they have no obligations. I'll probably give her a friendly poke in the next week or two.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I and my SO and 4 friends will be attending from Montreal for the first time. I hope you reach your required total!

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What is the count up to now? (or where can we find it instead of asking you?)

Whytmage on
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here's a question I haven't seen yet. How much of the food served is going to be fine for vegetarians to eat? I've got a friend coming with me who doesn't eat meat and am wondering how well he'll eat considering the $30 entry.

Hammy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Finally registered.

Yeah, I know, I'm a slacker.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Hammy wrote: »
    Here's a question I haven't seen yet. How much of the food served is going to be fine for vegetarians to eat? I've got a friend coming with me who doesn't eat meat and am wondering how well he'll eat considering the $30 entry.

I am sure he will have plenty to eat.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The dinner consists of the following menu items:
    • Traditional Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons & Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese :^:
    • Penne Rigate Tossed with Roast Garlic Sherry Cream & Hearty Marinara Sauces :^: (maranara not a meat sauce)
    • Sweet Italian Sausage Sautéed with a Colorful Array of Fresh & Pickled Peppers in Rich Merlot Demi Glace
    • Italian Beef Meatballs & Button Mushrooms in Rich Merlot Demi Glace
    • Garlic Cheese Bread, & Locally Made Artisan Breads Served with Herbed Olive Oil and Butter :^:
    • Balsamic Marinated Roasted & Grilled Vegetable Platter :^:
    • Fresh Strawberry Shortcake Served with Whipped Cream :^:
    :^: = Vegetarian Friendly.

I used to be vegetarian myself (heck, I was even vegan for about a year or so), so I understand how important it is to cater to a broad spectrum of culinary gastronomies. As long as your friend steers clear of the Italian meetballs and sausages he should be fine. Now, for the vegans among us... sorry, that's just way to specialized. I hope this helps. If you need any more information about food being served, just ask and I'll check with the catering company to do the best we can to address your concerns.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh... man... MAN that stuff sounds good! If I make it to PAX, I'm chowing down. It all sounds extremely tasty! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Whytmage wrote: »
    What is the count up to now? (or where can we find it instead of asking you?)

We're currently up to 45% of total tickets sold (89 RSVPs). :)

It's getting close to the event, but thankfully, I talked to the catering company and they said we can take RSVPs up until the day before (August 27th, 2008 by 8:00pm). So, due to that, I just went back into the system and extended the cut-off date! That way, those who are waiting to find out about travel plans have up until the day before the dinner to RSVP. :winky:

Sadly, you won't be able to pay at the door still since the catering company will have done all their shopping and cooking by then and will be focusing on serving.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The dinner consists of the following menu items:
    • Traditional Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons & Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese :^:
    • Penne Rigate Tossed with Roast Garlic Sherry Cream & Hearty Marinara Sauces :^: (maranara not a meat sauce)
    • Sweet Italian Sausage Sautéed with a Colorful Array of Fresh & Pickled Peppers in Rich Merlot Demi Glace
    • Italian Beef Meatballs & Button Mushrooms in Rich Merlot Demi Glace
    • Garlic Cheese Bread, & Locally Made Artisan Breads Served with Herbed Olive Oil and Butter :^:
    • Balsamic Marinated Roasted & Grilled Vegetable Platter :^:
    • Fresh Strawberry Shortcake Served with Whipped Cream :^:
    :^: = Vegetarian Friendly.

I used to be vegetarian myself (heck, I was even vegan for about a year or so), so I understand how important it is to cater to a broad spectrum of culinary gastronomies. As long as your friend steers clear of the Italian meetballs and sausages he should be fine. Now, for the vegans among us... sorry, that's just way to specialized. I hope this helps. If you need any more information about food being served, just ask and I'll check with the catering company to do the best we can to address your concerns.

jaw*floor

EDIT: Deleted for redundancy. :D

TY for the update!

Whytmage on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Definitely a meal to conclude a 2-day drive. You should add that menu into the OP.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.