As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e] Paragon Paramilitaries

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damn you making me wake up at 7!!!

By the way, I might be kinda tired on Saturday morning... :winky:

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    you guys will get a +1 item bonus to initiative.

I have some general aura things that will be good to remember as well:

-Allies gain +5 Initiative.
    -Allies within 10 gain +2 attack for the first round of combat (and preceding surprise round if applicable).
    -Allies gain +2 attack and +5 damage on Action Point attacks.

And +1 to attacks if I use an AP, but that's more situational.

YesNoMu wrote:
    Hey fading, I believe Warrior of the Wild has been errata'd. Hunter's Quarry only applies until the end of your next turn now.

Ah, will fix. It's still the better route than Skill Training to pick up Perception ;p

fadingathedges on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I give everyone +1 to perception! Im helping! Yaaaay!

Lardalish on
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, you know what's dumb? I have the feat to increase the size of my thunder attacks (overnight!) so that Thunderwave becomes a blast 4. But, there isn't a way to make a blast 4 with b38 Maptools. Lame, guys.

EDIT: Goumindong, how do you interpret the Battle Mage's daily Closing Spell? Which of these do I need to expend?
    a) daily attacks
    b) daily utilities
    c) daily item powers

I'm positive a is required, but I don't know about b or c.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I was lookin for Map Tool on my computer and it looks like I never actually downloaded, so I went to go get b38 and I dont see it. I see 32, 35, 39, but no 38.

Lardalish on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damnit. They updated between when i told you to use b38 and when you downloaded it.

We'll use B39 and ill just have to troubleshoot any loading problems.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Ok, Ive got b39 maptool, I downloaded vent and I think Ive got that up and running, I believe Im ready for tomorrow morning. Anyone gonna be on early? I might need a little help gettin used to maptools, if not no worries, I should be able to pick it up quick.

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    I will try and be online 1 hour before we start.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    So, um, how do I connect to the PA server in vent? First time I've ever used it.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39448

Thats the only thing I know about, and its got all the info in there. Its what I used at least.

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. I think I'm ready to go then! See you guys bright and early tomorrow.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    Will not be bright and early for me. Ill be re-preping my maps

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    I've updated my vent client & installed MapTool. I watched the instruction video last week and it seemed pretty intuitive, hopefully things will go smoothly.

What time zone Gou?

Also: MapTool: can you run two windows from the same desktop, one for the PCs and one for the DM? ::goes to try::

edit: seems like yes. I'm not sure how you would linkem up though, maybe tomorrow I'll try.

fadingathedges on
    edited August 2008
    Eastern time zone. So 6.5 hours from now.

as far as i know you can, but you don't need to

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Oh, and please bring your own token. They aren't hard to make.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Do I just need a small picture or do I have to do somethin fancy?

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    just a picture, you can add macros for powers et all before the game and/or just tell me whats up. Definitions will be provided.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    You should be able to see me in the PA ventrillo server.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Man, you know what's dumb? I have the feat to increase the size of my thunder attacks (overnight!) so that Thunderwave becomes a blast 4. But, there isn't a way to make a blast 4 with b38 Maptools. Lame, guys.

EDIT: Goumindong, how do you interpret the Battle Mage's daily Closing Spell? Which of these do I need to expend?
    a) daily attacks
    b) daily utilities
    c) daily item powers

I'm positive a is required, but I don't know about b or c.

We will go with A and not A and B for now.

There is a way to make a blast 4 in map tools.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Was fun guys, see you next weekend

fadingathedges on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Also, Goumin, should you ever decide to run somethin more long term, consider me interested.

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    Was very fun, would have been better if my mic hadn't broken. Oh well. I would also be interested in a longer term game.

kuhlmeye on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I had fun too, and count me in for a long-term thing as well.

Out of curiosity, and you don't have to answer if you don't want, were those reflavored MM monsters or totally homebrew?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    re-flavored/ leveled MM monsters.

The capstone fight is homebrewed. The next few fights are pretty stock.

If i decide to do anything long term it will be entirely published adventures.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    O.K. so here is the deal.

After this is over, i will be starting a 4e game that i hope to run from 1 to 30 using Wizards Published Adventures in Dragon, Dungeon and commercial. This game will run Saturday Morning at 8 AM Est. They will be published adventures because this severely reduces my prep-time which means i can spend less time worrying about whether or not the dragon at the end of the adventure will kill you and more time worrying about stuff that is important, like whether or not my socks match.

I want to give you all first crack at joining and ask anyone who will be continuing over to fill out a short survey so i can better pick adventures that suit you. I would also ask that you do not read any of the adventures yourself, though skimming them for magic items and such is perfectly fine.

1. What type of game do you like to play: Horror? Survival? Action? Pulp? Noir? Ultra-Violence? Monty Hall? Monty Haul? Monty Python? Political(rather than clear evil)?

2. How "fantastical" do you like your play: Lots of Fantastic Shit? Lots of Mundane Shit? Civilization being mundane with lots of fantastic shit going on everywhere else?

3. Are there any specific themes you like in your play: I.E. do you want to play an "Arabian Nights" campaign? A Medieval Europe campaign? A Medieval Europe during the Black Plague campaign? An Asian Campaign? A Sea Campaign? A colonial type campaign? A Sci-Fi campaign(I.E. like the Wizardry series[DMs Note: If you have not played Wizardry 8, go find a way to get a copy and play it])? Airships?

4. What types of monsters do you want to see? Do you like orcs? Aberrations? Demons? Elves? Men? Racially Stereotyped nations from the South. Undead? Angels?

5. What types of monsters do you not want to see? Do you hate drow and the underdark? Do Dragons make you cringe that special cliche cringe? Do you hate Evil Wizards or Kolbolds? Are aberrations too much for your puny mind to handle?

6. Do you like artifacts playing an important role in the game? And/or how flavorful do you want magic items to be?

7. How dense do you like civilization to be? Dispersed? Small and crowded in by the darkness? Large and crowded in by the darkness? Are monsters everywhere, liable to ambush you if you wander off the beaten path? Are there beaten paths?

8. What relation do you wish to see between you and the other players? I.E. how do you know each other? Is this an ideological gathering? A monetary gathering? A grouping of necessity?

9. Do you want player background and motivation to be in the open or do you want it to be a secret that the player themselves chooses to reveal?

Once this is done(and only when its done). I will ask everyone to create a short background for their character according to the guidelines in the PHB. Pending question 9 being "secret" you may post whatever info of your character that you want so long as that info is truthful(I.E. i won't let you lie about how your character acts and what motivates them here, only in game where everyone has a chance to guess whether or not its true)

That is

1. Choose an alignment. Good, Lawful Good, or Unaligned.
    2. Choose a deity(or deities) that as closely resembles your characters core beliefs and/or wishes as possible. Pick one or both. Feel free to pick evil deities if you feel your character would agree with some of their core beliefs and or wishes. You probably won't be able to worship those deities, but it will give me and yourself a better idea about your character.
    3. Answer the Social, Decision Points, and Dire Straits questions for your character(pg 23,24). This will be public no matter what question 9 says or what you want. This helps other players get a feel for how your character will act without getting cues during the game which may be few and far between.
    4. Choose some mannerisms for your character. Worry less about specifics. I.E. you don't need to know what your exact battlecry is, so long as you decide whether or not you have one and/or are the kind of guy who announces when he uses his powers like an DBZ character.
    5. Answer the background questions on page 24. Feel free to be class ambiguous.

Once that is done everyone will choose their classes and make their character sheets.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Since I am going to be the DM. I will start out and answer relevant questions. I do not want this coloring your answers.

1. Horror, Political, Noir, Pulp.

2. Mundane and dark. Magic is few and far between and magic items are more a property of who wields them, and has wielded them rather than what they are. Magic is inexplicable and mysterious and only those removed from society know much about it. As in Planescape. Belief is paramount(but just how, i am not sure)

3. Night time is the right time... to be the DM or a monster. Dark Ages feel, Lade Medieval Europe scope.

4. Orcs, Goblins, Kolbolds, Aberrations, Intelligent Undead, Dragons, Aberrations, Ogres(but not most other giants), Oni, Golems, Medusa, Basilisks, Beholders, Magical Beasts of many sorts, Slaad, Gargoyles, Hags, Rakshasa, Hydra, Lizardmen, Werebeasts, classical mythological beasts.

5. Mundane Animals, Drow, titans, giants, colossus, Elemental based enemies, Formians.

6. I like magic items to be dependent on the player more than the item. They have history from who they were used by and what they were used for. Items become magical based on their close relation to a hero or a villain. Items become artifacts based on the strength of the wielders deeds. Some weapons are powerful based on the quality of their creation. All of them have been given their power by some persons strength, determination, and hard work, whether he slaved over it, folding and hammering it for months, whether it was willed to be as sharp as the wit of its owner, or whether a piece of the owner was imbued within it.

I.E. Magic item rewards will come in standard drops and may come via good roleplaying by the item(magical or otherwise) gaining properties and bonuses in accordance with the personality and play style of the character who posses it.

7. Dense with little living on the edges. Farming is localized and most people retreat to the safety of the city walls by night. Inns can operate on roads and in the wilderness, but only supported by local hamlets which are miniature versions of the larger walled cities.

8. Irrelevant

9. irrelevant.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    I am too [strike]lazy[/strike] busy to commit to 8 AM Saturdays for the long run :P

fadingathedges on
    edited August 2008
    I would love to play a whole 1-30 campaign, but 8AM eastern is 7AM for me, and I don't think I could do that for a long running campaign. I would be cool with evening play times almost any day of the week. Even like, Sunday afternoons.

Edit: Or even just a little later on Saturdays would be good.

kuhlmeye on
    edited August 2008
    Well, in my D&D "career" I have had the worst luck with games. Something approaching 90% of the ones I join die off due to DM laziness or dick players before much past 2 or 3 sessions. So I haven't really been able to see what I do or don't like. I will try to answer these to the best of my ability though.

1) Well, I enjoy RP but I also love combat so as long as the rp and fights are balanced Im good for whatever. For instance, what you have planned for this game we're playing now seems to be right up my alley, 1/2 rp chances 1/2 combat.

2) Well, I like magic items but I think thats mostly a vestigial feeling from 3.5, Ive been playing a little bit in a level 1 campaign and even in our last session, I didn't really care about the items. So as long as we don't get gimped from lack of bonuses Im cool with low magic.

3) I don't really have any preferences here.

4) No real preferences here, I don't really have a problem with the fluff of any creatures.

5) As long as its not ALL ______, ALL THE TIME then Im fine with anything. Ooh, rust monsters, I dunno if they made it to 4e but no rust monsters.

6) Ive always wanted magic items to be special, have some sort of history behind them, but when you just sell em off once you get something better its kind of a wasted effort. So with the low magic campaign I think it would work well.

7) I dunno about this one, I don't exactly want a post apocalyptic world where the largest town is a group of huts with 15 people, But I also don't want to take a walk and stumble over 18 massive ancient empires.

8) Im good with almost anything. Each one has its pros and cons really.

9) This one kinda depends on the character and the way they were brought together. I don't know if I would want it to be a campaign specific rule. More like if one of the people was my best friend then they know all about me, but Joe Schmoe mercenary that we hired this morning doesn't know anything.

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    We might be able to do 9 AM Saturday, that gives me 4 hours before ping pong.

Regarding number 9. This isn't going to be a world specific rule, its going to be a one time thing for you as the players.

I.E. you get together and answer the next set of questions. Do you want all the other players to know all the answers to these questions, or do you want only me to know the answers to the questions so that everyone else can find out about your character as they go along?

The reason I am asking all these questions is because Points of Light is flexible where I can incorporate different elements into the game when i need to. The setting is very undefined except for a vague "feel" which shapes everything that happens. Do you want it to feel very pulpy with loads of action and kicking down doors? Do you want it to feel noirish with terse monologues furtive looks in the darkness? Do you like it when the bad guy is really evil, or when the bad guy thinks he is doing good, or once was good? Do you like ridiculous plot twists or something linear?

The point is, if you can give me the feel of the campaign, i can more easily fashion it to everyones likings.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    1. Ambiguous political scheming and intrigue are fun! Fighting is fun and all, but I like the idea of being mostly an investigative group, who only gets out the swords when necessary.

2. I like the high-magic, or at least highly magically-influenced, like Eberron. A setting that looks (semi-)realistically at what it means when magic exists and can be harnessed.

3. Whatever sounds fun to you, although plane-hopping is appealing to me.

4. Intelligent stuff with motivations make nice opponents, the kind that we can reason with, or ally with after beating the stuffing out of. Alternatively, the really vile, nasty kind, who we can feel awesome about beating up. Gnolls are especially badass and vicious, and aberrations are spooky and nasty.

5. I think any monster can be used well. That said, the drow (and Underdark nasties in general) have never really resonated with me. Maybe I just need a good DM to pull it off, though.

What I don't like are intelligent things that fight to the death without saying a word, and don't seem to have a reason for it. It's like some of the FFTA2 fights based on misunderstandings: they're funny, but I'd get pissed if that actually happened to us in a game.

6. Artifacts are awesome. I don't mind other magic items being utilitarian and fairly common.

7. I like urban adventures, so at least a few decent-sized cities.

8. I like the idea of a detective agency party, maybe a semi-secret police group. Hush-hush type.

9. Eh, I don't like secrets from the party. In our last 3.5 campaign, one of the players was the advance scout for a doppleganger rebellion to take over the world. We never heard a word about this until the end of the game, when we all died and she ruled the earth. Dumb.

Anyway, looking forward to the game! See you guys Saturday.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    With my work schedule, I usually go to bed around 4 and wake up at 11. Getting up at 7 or 8 on Saturdays is alright if it's just for a few weeks, but I don't think I could manage it for long periods of time.

Cantide on
    edited August 2008
    Just checkin in, we still have a game tomorrow at 8 right?

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Just checkin in, we still have a game tomorrow at 8 right?

fadingathedges on
    edited August 2008
    Indeed we do have a game tomorrow morning at 8 AM.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    I will be online at 7:30 to prep. Currently adding Monster tokens to the map, should be ready pretty soon.

edit: fucking hell, i can't get the maps to hold for no good reason. Nothing is transparent. they just fucking disappear.

we're going to play, but there will be no fancy maps. Sorry :(

I hope you all didn't take that as "we were" going to play, because i meant it as "we are" going to play.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    Hey, I had fun, especially arguing with the table. See you guys next week.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2008
    There will be loot next week more than that sword, do not fret.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2008
    GOD DAMNIT!

Mother fucking power went out and fried my alarm clock. FUCK!

Man, really sorry guys, I hope you guys had fun and everything.

Lardalish on
    edited August 2008
    Aw, that sucks. If it helps, I think we're building up to a big, nasty fight next time. We'll definitely need your bow skills there.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png