As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE INCREDIBLE H (erc, ulk, son of, and she)

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Scans of the next issue of Hulk popped up in Scans Daily...
    ...showing R-Hulk winning another fight apparently. How it goes is that R-Hulk manages to grab the hammer by the block-part and uses it to jump-drag Thor (who's still hanging onto the strap) up high enough into space with him. With zero-g seemingly nullifying the 'only-the-pure-can-lift-it' enchant, R-Hulk plucks the hammer completely out of Thor's grip and goes to town on him with it. Then (I'm guessing) he uses it's magic to deposit Thor on the moon, heading back to Earth after kicking the Thunder God's hat off.

"To take my hammer, tis not possible! Unless in my father's absence..."
    "HEY. You've confused me with someone who gives a @#$%!"

Suck.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I skimmed through the preview issue of Hulk #5 at my comic shop so I knew about this before scans_daily decided to spoil it. To be honest it doesn't bother me that much cause I consider Loeb's Hulk to be pure fluff anyway.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's kind of funny seeing the reactions to this stuff. I mean, I don't think anyone with half a brain is taking this series seriously at this point, but you read the scans daily thread and you have these outraged fans explaining why this is so bad in terms of
    how the enchantment on Thor's hammer works. Like, they KNOW how the magic behind works in actual science terms and are therefore able to declare what should in fact happen to the Hulk when he separates Thor from Mjolnir in zero-g. And I guess this makes them feel better because they can empirically "prove" that Loeb is a hack and therefore should be hung drawn and quartered.

I really believe anyone who isn't taking the entire series as tongue in cheek by now is missing the point. I can't wait for the inevitable R-Hulk vs Squirrel Girl match up :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2008
    What is the point of this series, exactly?

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oooh. Irresistible force vs. Immovable object.

My bet's on SG.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What is the point of this series, exactly?

To fill the void of the absence of Hulk in his main book. And I doubt Marvel cares much about fans complaining about these things as Hulk is a high selling book right now.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    It's kind of funny seeing the reactions to this stuff. I mean, I don't think anyone with half a brain is taking this series seriously at this point, but you read the scans daily thread and you have these outraged fans explaining why this is so bad in terms of
    how the enchantment on Thor's hammer works. Like, they KNOW how the magic behind works in actual science terms and are therefore able to declare what should in fact happen to the Hulk when he separates Thor from Mjolnir in zero-g. And I guess this makes them feel better because they can empirically "prove" that Loeb is a hack and therefore should be hung drawn and quartered.

I really believe anyone who isn't taking the entire series as tongue in cheek by now is missing the point. I can't wait for the inevitable R-Hulk vs Squirrel Girl match up :)
    Virral this is Jeph Loeb.

I can almost guarantee that this guy is fucking serious.

The Muffin Man on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    but he wrote Commando

and Teen Wolf

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Virral this is Jeph Loeb.

I can almost guarantee that this guy is fucking serious.

He has outright come out and said he asked the artist to make a list of characters he would like to draw Hulk punching. That doesn't sound like someone taking it super seriously to me.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hulk #7

Hulk beats Thor

Hulk #8

Hulk Beats up new and mighty avengers with his hands and feet tied

Hulk #9

Hulk takes on Sentry and green hulk together

Hulk #10

Hulk goes spacefront and smashes Guardians of the Galaxy

Hulk #11

While returning to earth he saws galactus and decides having some bussiness with him...

And So on...

I cant belive they are pulling this crap after giving Hulk so much awesomeness in the Planet Hulk series... What a shame...

Dreamon on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well you know the Red Hulk isn't the same thing at all as Banner/Green Hulk right

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Given the way the R-hulk run has gone so far, he'll probably murder her squirrels, laugh about how he's too awesome to be defeated by plot armour and then rape Squirrel Girl.

Also i think "can only be wielded by the pure of heart" is pretty goddamn straight forward as far as magic goes, it does what it says on the box. And if comics have taught us anything its that magic can always tell gravity or the lack there off to fuck right off.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    bale you enjoy Red Hulk too much

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He has outright come out and said he asked the artist to make a list of characters he would like to draw Hulk punching. That doesn't sound like someone taking it super seriously to me.

He does this with like, all his books though. Which is aprt of why he gets so many good artists to work with him. They know that he'll throw any kind of sensible plot out the window so they can draw a splash page of Gorilla Grodd fighting Beppo the Supermonkey while Gleek uppercuts Detective Chimp, which the artist can then sell for a ludicrous amount. At least, compared to some lame talking head scenes.

Read Superman/Batman with this in mind, and suddenly the reason for the plots being completely fucking loony becomes apparent.

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    That probably explains why his work with Tim Sale is so much better than his other stuff.

DJ Eebs on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yup. Loeb only seems to have 5 stories in him:1. main character goes on a "tour" of their respective universe just fighting tons of guest stars in "kewl" lopsided brainless fights (X-Man's first arc, Supergirl's first arc, Batman/Superman's first arc, Hulk's first arc)2. a single idea that he thinks is much cooler than it is and makes a whole storyline around it without much thought of where it can go in the long run (President Luthor, Wolverine wolf-species)3. Red herring mystery. A mystery where the clues are ALL red herrings that don't actually help you solve the mystery. They are only there to mislead the reader before you get the improbably stupid resolution in the final issue, which usually makes no sense and comes out of left field since none of his clues actually tie into the real culprit (Batman: Long Halloween, Hush). Lots of guest stars appear as usual to distract from plot holes.4. Sappy letter to dead friend. Since Loeb is so weak on plot, these make him seem like a better writer than he is because he's allowed to neglect plot. He just retells old stories from better writers and just superimposes captions that blatantly pull on the heartstrings by being addressed from the main hero to a dead loved one (His Marvel color books)5. Movie and old comic ripoffs: He takes the best parts of old movies, the scenes that are memorable and evoke strong nostalgic or emotional reactions, and transplants them into a superhero book he's writing to recreate the same feeling in his readers, making them subconsciously associate the depth of the source material with the book Loeb is currently writing. Case in point: Batman Long Halloween. Using plot devices and classic scenes from Godfather I and II, Silence of the Lambs, and Presumed Innocent, after a while the reader feels like he's reading something on the same level of depth as those works. However these ripoff homages are just disguising the fact that the story is just a mix of the first three types of Loeb stories.Category 5 Loeb stories though, by using other writers' works, are the Loeb stories that best disguise Loeb's lack of writing skills. If you take out the homages though and just look at Loeb's original contribution, you see his current level of writing was always there, it was just disguised by homages to good movies. My suggestion: Marvel needs to give Loeba Netflix subscription and AFI's list of top 100 movies so that he can start ripping off again. Those are the only times he can write a story that can atl least fool people that it's good.

I would agree with this.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ZulenZulen Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'm not really a Thor fan, but I had my share fair of popping forehead veins when I heard the news.
    Just because Red Hulk does not and I quote "GIVE A $%^&", it doesn't mean that he can drag Thor into outer space by Mjolner, and then proceed to beat on him with it while "holding his breath." Granted, it's hilarious, but can you not see what's wrong with this picture? Apparently, Loeb just assumed that no one could wield Thor's hammer because it was 'heavy', not so much that it had it's own magical attributes.

Well, I confess, I have no basis for that. I don't actually know the full back story of the hammer, but it really ticks me off to see the Mighty Thor lose to such an asshole.

Really, what's the actual story line to Red Hulk, anyway? Why do people want to read about a character whose message is "sheer brute strength will defeat brains and everything else all the time"? It's essentially one issue of asshole Hulk acting like an asshole, beating the hell out of someone, and then the end of every issue sets up the fight for the next issue. I fail to see an actual story progress here!

I'm pretty tired of this "suck Hulk's dick" routine ever since WWH came along, as well. This isn't DBZ. I expect some decent dialogue, or at the very least some good matchups. Not just Hulk going around kicking people's ass.

Zulen on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zulen wrote: »
    I'm not really a Thor fan, but I had my share fair of popping forehead veins when I heard the news.
    Just because Red Hulk does not and I quote "GIVE A $%^&", it doesn't mean that he can drag Thor into outer space by Mjolner, and then proceed to beat on him with it while "holding his breath." Granted, it's hilarious, but can you not see what's wrong with this picture? Apparently, Loeb just assumed that no one could wield Thor's hammer because it was 'heavy', not so much that it had it's own magical attributes.

Well, I confess, I have no basis for that. I don't actually know the full back story of the hammer, but it really ticks me off to see the Mighty Thor lose to such an asshole.

Really, what's the actual story line to Red Hulk, anyway? Why do people want to read about a character whose message is "sheer brute strength will defeat brains and everything else all the time"? It's essentially one issue of asshole Hulk acting like an asshole, beating the hell out of someone, and then the end of every issue sets up the fight for the next issue. I fail to see an actual story progress here!

I'm pretty tired of this "suck Hulk's dick" routine ever since WWH came along, as well. This isn't DBZ. I expect some decent dialogue, or at the very least some good matchups. Not just Hulk going around kicking people's ass.
    This isn't the real Hulk which probably explains why he's such a douche.

But not why real Hulk suddenly became brutish "Hulk Smash" Hulk again.

The Muffin Man on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It really is quite a disappointment after the greatness of Planet Hulk (and even though WWH wasn't as good as Planet, it was certainly far better then the dreck that Loeb is putting out).

Speaking of, is Banner Hulk actually being used anywhere? Or is he still being held by the military?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited August 2008
    I also think that just making Hulk red is a really lazy design, though I suppose there's an irony to it depending on whether or not Ross is the red Hulk.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »

It really is quite a disappointment after the greatness of Planet Hulk (and even though WWH wasn't as good as Planet, it was certainly far better then the dreck that Loeb is putting out).

Speaking of, is Banner Hulk actually being used anywhere? Or is he still being held by the military?

They unleashed him against the Red Hulk in the last issue, and I know that after the first storyline the next arc will have each issue split in half, with half the book about Red Hulk and half about Green Hulk

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    it will be even worse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    The logical conclusion of the Red Hulk storyline is Red Hulk jumping out of the book and killing you, Bastard.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    dangit why's it gotta be me?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    dangit why's it gotta be me?

Because you are Earth's mightiest mortal.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    look I told you those business cards were a joke

much like my Bikini Inpsector badge

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    TLB is actually Earth's shortest non-midget non-child

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    dangit there are hells of people shorter than me

like Glenn Danzig

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

i agree, they just decided,
    "Hey! let's throw badass after badass at red hulk to establish just how bad ass he is! omg, let's throw sentry, silver surfer, green hulk, thor, a fully powered galactucs, gladiator, onslaught, and a fully powered juggernaut at red hulk and OMG let's just have him stop and say, 'I DON'T GIVE A !@%#$!!!' and then have him fuck all of them up! Now that's some award winning writing right thurrr!"

and seriously fuck loeb for completely ignoring planet hulk and WWH. here i thought the character was actually growing but nope, let's just reboot him to child status.

this entire series seems to be simply for promoting red hulk as an unbeatable bastard, i'm surprised they're not having a DC crossover in which Red hulk kicks superman, doomsday, black adam, darkseid, all the lantern corpse and well...pretty much every fucking established strong force in any comic book ever made.

Inter_d on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Atleast with Iceman they merely hinted at the fact that he could be the most powerful mutant in the universe. They didn't toss him up against God and say "Oh look, Iceman can make the hottest burrito of all eternity AND eat it. God can't do that!"

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    Atleast with Iceman they merely hinted at the fact that he could be the most powerful mutant in the universe. They didn't toss him up against God and say "Oh look, Iceman can make the hottest burrito of all eternity AND eat it. God can't do that!"

hottest burrito of all time?

hmm....shit, well i'm looking at this book the physics of superheroes and it says,
    By now I don't need to belabor the point that any heat--that is, any kinetic energy-- that Bobby is able to subtract from his surroundings must be compensated for by an amount of heat added somewhere else and, given the second Law of Thermodynamics, the heat added is most likely greater than the heat removed.

...so yeah, i guess...he could make the hottest burrito of all time. o_O

Inter_d on
    edited August 2008
    Inter_d wrote: »

hmm....shit, well i'm looking at this book the physics of superheroes and it says,
    By now I don't need to belabor the point that any heat--that is, any kinetic energy-- that Bobby is able to subtract from his surroundings must be compensated for by an amount of heat added somewhere else and, given the second Law of Thermodynamics, the heat added is most likely greater than the heat removed.

Yea. Iceman is one of my favorite all-time Mutant characters because of the mystery behind his powers and his future. Cable (from the future) referred to Iceman as "One of the legendaries," and he was really baffled to see some teenage kid playing video games and icing up drinks for his friends when he came to visit the past.

Essentially, Cable says something along the lines of (though dont quote me), heat and energy manipulation being a processe of deep-molecular control, and if Bobby understood what this meant about his powers. Bobby pretty much nodded it off and kept playing games.

So it seems that Bobby's power over temperature and ice is merely a symptom of greater dormant powers. It's a tittilating thought.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yea. Iceman is one of my favorite all-time Mutant characters because of the mystery behind his powers and his future. Cable (from the future) referred to Iceman as "One of the legendaries," and he was really baffled to see some teenage kid playing video games and icing up drinks for his friends when he came to visit the past.

Essentially, Cable says something along the lines of (though dont quote me), heat and energy manipulation being a processe of deep-molecular control, and if Bobby understood what this meant about his powers. Bobby pretty much nodded it off and kept playing games.

So it seems that Bobby's power over temperature and ice is merely a symptom of greater dormant powers. It's a tittilating thought.

Periodically, a writer gets this into their head.

When Emma first took over Bobby's body, she converted him entirely to ice, and demonstrated that he wasn't limited to his human body-mass/volume (oddly, Bobby actually did this - turned completely to ice - in one of the first few issues of the original X-Men comics, but every writer forgot this and said he merely covered himself). She told him later that he had an unbelievable lack of knowledge of his powers. Given that Xavier should have discovered this, it's somewhat odd that he never mentioned it before then.

In a recent arc, Bobby was decapitated while in ice form, and regenerated the rest of his body from...borrowed...water.

In another recent arc, Bobby teleported through a river by entering it and reconstituting himself a distance away. This was a follow-up to a statement made in that arc where he was headless about his "special connection" with water, and his ability to trace the flow of water through an immense network of roots.

I think the difficulty with a writer really pushing Bobby to awareness of his powers is that the end result would be a somewhat immature guy (with sexuality issues and a refusal to self-analyze) with godlike powers. It could make great stories, but it could also result in a sort of redundant set of 'phoenix-like' stories.

mattharvest on
    edited August 2008

When Emma first took over Bobby's body, she converted him entirely to ice, and demonstrated that he wasn't limited to his human body-mass/volume (oddly, Bobby actually did this - turned completely to ice - in one of the first few issues of the original X-Men comics, but every writer forgot this and said he merely covered himself). She told him later that he had an unbelievable lack of knowledge of his powers. Given that Xavier should have discovered this, it's somewhat odd that he never mentioned it before then.

In a recent arc, Bobby was decapitated while in ice form, and regenerated the rest of his body from...borrowed...water.

In another recent arc, Bobby teleported through a river by entering it and reconstituting himself a distance away. This was a follow-up to a statement made in that arc where he was headless about his "special connection" with water, and his ability to trace the flow of water through an immense network of roots.

I think the difficulty with a writer really pushing Bobby to awareness of his powers is that the end result would be a somewhat immature guy (with sexuality issues and a refusal to self-analyze) with godlike powers. It could make great stories, but it could also result in a sort of redundant set of 'phoenix-like' stories.

but the problem with any character like that is that...you need to get rid of them in order to keep telling stories, because unless he's like sentry and he gets all agorophobic he's going to easily kick the crap out of any villain he meets. they have to have a plot safety switch for their biggest gun. otherwise he's simply freezing people's brains in their skulls while icing a few beers for his friends. franklin richards burnt his powers out, nate grey died, phoenix died, cable was lobotomized, sentry is afraid to use his powers, and well...you name any "omega" level person and they all have had their powers either removed, supressed, or have been outright killed. so cable can tell bobby drake all about how legendary his powers are and how he's essentially a god but since marvel wants to keep selling comics it'll have to be in one of those one shot story arcs where it's in the future (that never comes lol) or just have bobby become god for a few issues, possibly an arc or two and then kill him off.

...though, i hope not because i always liked ice man.

back on topic,
    "MANNNNNNNN, FUCK Loeb."

Inter_d on
    edited August 2008

but the problem with any character like that is that...you need to get rid of them in order to keep telling stories, because unless he's like sentry and he gets all agorophobic he's going to easily kick the crap out of any villain he meets. they have to have a plot safety switch for their biggest gun. otherwise he's simply freezing people's brains in their skulls while icing a few beers for his friends. franklin richards burnt his powers out, nate grey died, phoenix died, cable was lobotomized, sentry is afraid to use his powers, and well...you name any "omega" level person and they all have had their powers either removed, supressed, or have been outright killed. so cable can tell bobby drake all about how legendary his powers are and how he's essentially a god but since marvel wants to keep selling comics it'll have to be in one of those one shot story arcs where it's in the future (that never comes lol) or just have bobby become god for a few issues, possibly an arc or two and then kill him off.

...though, i hope not because i always liked ice man.

back on topic,
    "MANNNNNNNN, FUCK Loeb."

Exactly. But it's great to just have it there. In the back of your head (and the writers' heads) is the thought that "hey, Iceman has nearly infiinite powers...and their dormant AND AWESOME." Hahaha. Ahhh, mystery, my whore lover.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, it's not the same scale, but Planetary's Snow did techniques such as that.

It's almost difficult to not think of clever ways to use any power that operates at a distance. Omega-level or not, mutants like Iceman should be basically slaughter-machines. Freezing some of the blood in anyone's brain would be enough to incapacitate them. Similarly, doing the same to their heart (or, actually, any organ) should have a similar effect. Not to mention the horror of doing it in their eyes (or ears).

One of the most elegant examples of this, actually, was Magneto/Xorneto, who killed one of the Cuckoos by shoving her earrings into her brain.

mattharvest on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, a belated World War Hulk comment.

I finally got around to reading Planet Hulk. You know what I have to say after reading that?

Fuck World War Hulk even harder.

Shadowen on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So, a belated World War Hulk comment.

I finally got around to reading Planet Hulk. You know what I have to say after reading that?

Fuck World War Hulk even harder.
    Yeah, it really does not stand up.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2008
    Why does WWH suck?

Because it's a Hulk story where Hulk is the villain?

Robos A Go Go on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It sucks comparatively, in that nothing is ever as good as planet hulk.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]