As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Global Warming Is a Hoax!" and other stupid opinions

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
citizen059 wrote: »
I don't have to justify owning a car, because I have the freedom to own a car, I choose to do so, and I see nothing wrong with driving it.

My address gets a 62, but it's largely crap because the places it lists really aren't viable for their category. So even if I were the type to feel all guilty about driving, I'd still need to.

Umm.

You're actually familiar with the concept of a carbon footprint, aren't you?

Oh, see, I forgot to mention that point. That there's the part where I sorta don't fit in around here.

I don't believe in man-made global warming, global cooling, or climate change...whichever one it is we're worried about this time.

citizen059 on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have to justify owning a car, because I have the freedom to own a car, I choose to do so, and I see nothing wrong with driving it.

My address gets a 62, but it's largely crap because the places it lists really aren't viable for their category. So even if I were the type to feel all guilty about driving, I'd still need to.

Umm.

Oh, see, I forgot to mention that point. That there's the part where I sorta don't fit in around here.

I don't believe in man-made global warming, global cooling, or climate change...whichever one it is we're worried about this time.
    you can decide not to believe in gravity, too, but you'll still fall if you jump off a building.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

Umm.

Ahh. Well have fun being completely incorrect, then. Even Skeptic Magazine has started printing articles about human-influenced global warming. Several studies trying to debunk the idea come to the conclusion that natural forces can only account for around 35% of the warming trend, sun included.

So yeah, I know a lot of people like you. I know a lot of people that are wrong.

In any case, we're going to just fucking run out of fuel soon. Some bio fuels actually have a larger carbon footprint. So our options are slowing down emissions to neutrality levels of a miracle cure alternative. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in it or not, it's still happening.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Umm.

Ahh. Well have fun being completely incorrect, then. Even Skeptic Magazine has started printing articles about human-influenced global warming. Several studies trying to debunk the idea come to the conclusion that natural forces can only account for around 35% of the warming trend, sun included.

So yeah, I know a lot of people like you. I know a lot of people that are wrong.

In any case, we're going to just fucking run out of fuel soon. Some bio fuels actually have a larger carbon footprint. So our options are slowing down emissions to neutrality levels of a miracle cure alternative. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in it or not, it's still happening.

I appreciate the effort, but we're not going to get anywhere trying to convince each other of our views.

My point was that I don't feel guilty about driving, and I don't think anyone should be made to feel guilty.

Until and unless there is an affordable alternative that works just as well, the energy sources we have now are what we have to use.

I'd love to see more efficiency though. I think anyone who actually pays for their own gas would agree.

For example, my dream car:
    opel-ecospeedster01.jpg

opel-ecospeedster12.jpg

1.3L diesel-powered engine
    155 mph top speed
    113 mpg average

...and I even like the color.

*drool*

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Scientific facts are not "views."

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scientific facts are not "views."

Thus the point of contention; scientists on both sides of the debate presenting their findings, each saying the other side is wrong, and non-scientists claiming that the other side's scientists have been "bought off" by either environmentalists or industrialists, depending on who you want to believe.

I'm sorry that I'm not on your side, it's nothing personal.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys, that whole second law of thermodynamics thing is bullshit. Every scientist coming up with it was bought off to make my perpetual motion machine look like a scam, but it's totally not and if you buy some stock now you'll be a hojillionaire when I bring this thing into production.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    scientists on both sides of the debate presenting their findings

Yeah, the only difference is that the scientists on one side of the debate include all of the major meteorology, geology, and climatology institutions of the entire western world.

citizen059, I invite you to start a global warming thread. Please do. Obviously you're privy to some evidence that trumps that of the entire community of scientists who have spent their lives studying this phenomenon.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Yeah, the only difference is that the scientists on one side of the debate include all of the major meteorology, geology, and climatology institutions of the entire western world.

citizen059, I invite you to start a global warming thread. Please do. Obviously you're privy to some evidence that trumps that of the entire community of scientists who have spent their lives studying this phenomenon.

Why?

I can just as easily go to another forum where everyone agrees with me, we can all pat each other on the back and call it a day. That would be much more fun for me and less work for you.

My point of contention with this particular thread was that it seemed to imply that owning a car was something to be ashamed of, if not just outright wrong, and that you should have to justify owning one.

I took exception to that, thus the reason for my first post.
    • I was questioned about carbon footprints
    • I explained my position on climate change
    • I was told I was wrong
    • I read what Wonder Hippie had to say, but declined any sort of debate as it's not my point for being here
    • I was told that facts aren't views, which I accept
    • I referenced the fact that there are still questions regarding the source of any climate change
    • I got to see a strawman, that was fun

Again, I appreciate the eagerness people have to prove me wrong, but that's not why I'm here.

I wanted to disagree with the notion that people should justify vehicle ownership. The rest of it was an unintended result. :lol:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Why?

I can just as easily go to another forum where everyone agrees with me, we can all pat each other on the back and call it a day. That would be much more fun for me and less work for you.

That's fine. Frankly, I don't understand the desire to let one's opinions go unchallenged, but if that's what you would prefer then feel free.

However, if you make a factually incorrect statement, you should expect to be called out on it.
    I wanted to disagree with the notion that people should justify vehicle ownership. The rest of it was an unintended result. :lol:

And your disagreement was based on a factually incorrect premise for which you refuse to offer any additional support. Therefore your disagreement is unsound.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited August 2008

Why?

That's fine. Frankly, I don't understand the desire to let one's opinions go unchallenged, but if that's what you would prefer then feel free.

However, if you make a factually incorrect statement, you should expect to be called out on it.

And your disagreement was based on a factually incorrect premise for which you refuse to offer any additional support. Therefore your disagreement is unsound.

What factually incorrect premise would that be?

Again, I have the freedom to own and operate a car. I have chosen to do so.

I don't feel guilty about it, and I don't think other people should have to justify their own decisions about owning a vehicle.

If the tone of the thread had instead been one of finding a way to save money by driving less, or using public transportation, I doubt we'd even be having this discussion.

I was asked a question about carbon footprints in response to my own post, and I answered knowing that I would both be challenged (because my viewpoint is contrary to the established majority here) and also belittled (because there are a few people here who can't help themselves).

The part about posting on a forum where everyone agrees with me was intended as a joke, because at the moment I'm obviously doing the exact opposite.

As for not engaging in a true debate, I simply don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore. Sorry.

A few years back, sure. But after being engaged in forum thread after forum thread (not here, mind you, elsewhere) where people simply threw links, articles, and insults at each other for days...accomplishing nothing and convincing nobody...I simply got tired of it.

That, primarily, is the reason you won't find a ton of D&D forum posts from me. I like reading some of the discussions, but for the most part I just don't have the will to debate people on the internet anymore.

It's nothing personal toward anyone here, I just posted because I disagreed with the basic tone of the thread, and it got out of hand. I could've prevented it by just not answering the carbon footprint question, but a momentary lapse in judgement got the better of me. Sometimes I just forget when I should stop posting. ;)

My apologies for creating offtopic discussion in the thread, and to ElJeffe for creating extra work in having to cull said discussion from it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

What factually incorrect premise would that be?
    I was asked a question about carbon footprints in response to my own post, and I answered knowing that I would both be challenged (because my viewpoint is contrary to the established majority here) and also belittled (because there are a few people here who can't help themselves).

This viewpoint from which you base your premise is factually incorrect. Anthropomorphic climate change does exist.

moniker on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Umm.

you can decide not to believe in gravity, too, but you'll still fall if you jump off a building.

Speak for yourself.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh, you said you don't believe in human-made global warming.

ege02 on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, all this BS is because you didn't feel guilty about owning a car? Really?

Is this really the persecution of the week topic, or are things being overly simplified?

GungHo on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

Wrong. The correct answer is you just miss the ground.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

Please demonstrate. :P

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

My old friend, Arthur, was a pro at it.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

All you have to do is fall and forget about hitting the ground. Flight occurs.

Drez on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I feel guilty for driving my car and I am currently trying to save up enough money to buy a hybrid or at least a flexi-fuel.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm still waiting for a demonstration. Oh and I don't feel guilty for driving a car. My 45 minute without traffic drive each way to and from work each day is long enough.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

All you have to do is fall and forget about hitting the ground. Flight occurs.

yes, and the precise length of your "flight" time is dependent on the height you started at.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    God dammit, don't you illiterates ever read good books?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I got the ref, Drez.

DSC: Third or fourth Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book.

Feral on

• Options
    edited August 2008

Did you miss my response?

moniker on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Umm.

Speak for yourself.

Man made jet pack.

As always, the Guide provides: http://hhgproject.org/entries/flying.html

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So this thread is like the ones where the Video Game and Music pirates pout because people try and make them feel bad about theft?

I mean, it's not that owning a car in and of itself makes you a bad person, but for your sake and the sake of others you should at least be looking into ways to curb the amount of fuel you use as much as possible without absolutely disrupting your life while the infrastructure catches up to the needs of the population.

I mean hell, I drive a sports car and live in a city with incredible amounts of sprawl and terrible public transport and weather that will freaking kill you. But man when I can walk I walk, and I drive the speed limit unless safety requires otherwise, and I try to combine and limit car trips.

Liking to go 80mph once in awhile when there's no other cars or intersecting lanes for some miles doesn't mean you can't shape your ass up and help keep the environment from getting worse.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    God I haven't read that since.... middle school?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait.

Wasn't this part of another thread at some point or was I fucking hallucinating a reply about Penn and Teller?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lolz!

Do you watch Glenn Beck, by any chance? Do you fantasize about his many chins descending over your balls?

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got the paperback collecting all of the books. I might need to crack that bad boy open again, since it's been maybe 3 or 4 years since I've read it.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Was this an off topic thread that was split and has since in two pages become another off topic thread?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait.

Wasn't this part of another thread at some point or was I fucking hallucinating a reply about Penn and Teller?

It was split off due to stupidity.

moniker on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i dont feel guilty about driving a car.

i also dont feel guilty about getting a free ride to work paid for by all of you.

and im not going to buy a hybrid car any time soon, they are a waste of money and a motorcycle will get better fuel efficiency than most of them.

the whole carbon footprint thing is bs too.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whether or not you believe in global warming, shouldn't we be trying to minimize our impact on the environment as much as we can?

I think the more important question is not "Is global warming happening?" It's "What can we do about it?" What I want to know is, can anything actually be done to prevent/reverse it without pushing humanity backwards 200 years? The thing I'm worried about is we seem to be going after ideas that look good on paper, but may have little to no positive effect.

Let's say everybody takes Obama's advice and keeps their tires inflated to the recommended pressure. Is that going to save enough fuel to justify all the energy we just used to power all those air compressors?

I guess what I'm saying is while I'm not convinced we can actually do anything about global warming, that shouldn't stop us from trying to conserve energy, use cleaner energy, and minimize our impact on the environment. But don't let's do something stupid just because someone thinks it's good for the environment.

Also, it's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (or one of the sequels, I forget which)

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fucking evangelicals.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    I split off a tangent for being off-topic, and you fuckers drive the new thread back to the topic of the original thread. I hate you all.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I split off a tangent for being off-topic, and you fuckers drive the new thread back to the topic of the original thread. I hate you all.

You should have trusted the people to do what's right with minimal intervention.

Feral on

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    So this thread is like the ones where the Video Game and Music pirates pout because people try and make them feel bad about theft?

I mean, it's not that owning a car in and of itself makes you a bad person, but for your sake and the sake of others you should at least be looking into ways to curb the amount of fuel you use as much as possible without absolutely disrupting your life while the infrastructure catches up to the needs of the population.

I mean hell, I drive a sports car and live in a city with incredible amounts of sprawl and terrible public transport and weather that will freaking kill you. But man when I can walk I walk, and I drive the speed limit unless safety requires otherwise, and I try to combine and limit car trips.

Liking to go 80mph once in awhile when there's no other cars or intersecting lanes for some miles doesn't mean you can't shape your ass up and help keep the environment from getting worse.

I don't want to keep the environment from getting worse.

I'm a rebel like that.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.