As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sandman Thread about Sandman (The Series)

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Without a doubt, the Emperor of America short story was the best one. His insanity kept him sane. :rotate:

You realize Emperor Norton was a real person?

You and wikipedia just blew my mind. Freaking awesome.

He even wore clothes like that.

More people need to know about him.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd say Sandman and Lucifer were equally good in two completely different ways. Lucifer was one linear, continuous story about themes of good and evil and stuff, whereas Sandman was a story about stories, and as such had a lot more freedom to mess around with the order of stuff. For what it's worth, I probably enjoyed Lucifer more, but Sandman is the one that really stuck with me.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a terrible memory, in what way was Destruction's power different than Death?
    Was Destruction more change, while Death was more about endings? Actually I think I just answered myself. :|

I love that scene where Dream holds a ball wherein all these Gods and spirits try to barter for the key to Hell. Odin's offer was the best. :D

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been a big fan of Gaiman and Moore for a long time; can't really get Morrison, though.

For the past two months, I have battled with myself as to whether I should get Absolute v.3 or just buy the rest of the series in Paperbacks. I like to loan my books, on one hand, but on the other...I love the series to death, and the absolutes are phenomenal.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a terrible memory, in what way was Destruction's power different than Death?
    Was Destruction more change, while Death was more about endings? Actually I think I just answered myself. :|

I love that scene where Dream holds a ball wherein all these Gods and spirits try to barter for the key to Hell. Odin's offer was the best. :D

But Chaos gave him a balloon...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of Gaiman and Moore for a long time; can't really get Morrison, though.

For the past two months, I have battled with myself as to whether I should get Absolute v.3 or just buy the rest of the series in Paperbacks. I like to loan my books, on one hand, but on the other...I love the series to death, and the absolutes are phenomenal.

I have the absolutes for my personal use, and the old TPs I had before that are now the 'loaners'.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I love that because it sets up Dream going into hell to recue the girl as a huge thing, he spends half an issue preparing for it and then he arrives, there's noone there and the main plot is actually about him deciding who to give the key to.

Starcross on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Something like that, Death was merely a middleman/woman/manifestation? for taking souls to whatever fate has in store for them.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Death: The High Price of Living is such a good one-shot

I bought it at Powell's over the weekend

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got a question about Thessaly; Why did she protect Lyta?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thessaly's one directive in life is to survive, no matter what. She has taken it to extremes. Anything that hurts or even threatens becomes hers to kill.

Protecting Lyta granted Thessaly another few years while at the same time striking a blow to Morpheus. It has been years since I last read the book, but I think it was because the relationship (and subsequent breakup) hurt her, and that just can't happen.

God, I don't know. I need to re-read Sandman.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Grant another few years..."? Like, extending her life by letting crazy bitch A take out Morpheus (thus becoming crazy bitch B)

Plus I thought she was the one who ended the relationship, and without much trouble or care at that (other than Dream becoming super mopey)

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    "Grant another few years..."? Like, extending her life by letting crazy bitch A take out Morpheus (thus becoming crazy bitch B)

Plus I thought she was the one who ended the relationship, and without much trouble or care at that (other than Dream becoming super mopey)

Well, I based my hypothesis on the Wake, where she cried (and felt some remorse for her actions) even though she promised herself she would not shed any more tears over Morpheus-related events. Personally, I think she did it to prove to herself she is still the cold, uncaring creature she pretended to be by taking out the one person who cared for her.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A bit off-topic, but don't forget that Gaiman's new novel, The Graveyard Book, comes out next month. From Wiki:

The title is an homage to The Jungle Book. In the book, a boy whose parents are killed is adopted by the occupants of a graveyard (as opposed to the animals in a jungle) and raised by them.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A bit off-topic, but don't forget that Gaiman's new novel, The Graveyard Book, comes out next month. From Wiki:

The title is an homage to The Jungle Book. In the book, a boy whose parents are killed is adopted by the occupants of a graveyard (as opposed to the animals in a jungle) and raised by them.

Kyle
    So zombies or undertakers or what?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Kyle

Ghosts, for the most part.

Shamus on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shamus wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Kyle

Ghosts, for the most part.

Gaiman read the (I think) third chapter of the book at his panel at this year's New York Comic-Con. The person who usually takes care of the Mowgli-analogue character has to go off on some errand for a month or whatever, and brings in a Miss Lupescu to take care of and teach the boy in the meantime. The Mowgli-analogue gets bored of her stern lessons and wanders off, and just like Mowgli was carried off by the Bandar-log, this boy gets carried off by ghouls. They take him into a different world, one that is a parched desert, and carry him to their ghoul city. Once the boy realizes that bad shit is about to go down, he calls out to a nycalope (or something) flying overhead, who brings word to Miss Lupescu. Who turns out to be a werewolf, and goes and rescues the boy.

I was really enjoying the chapter until I realized just how similar it was to "Kaa's Hunting". Miss Lupescu was Kaa, the ghouls were Bandar-log, and there were a whole lot of other moments that were very identical (except with jungle themes replaced with graveyard themes). At that point I started thinking that maybe it's not so original, so now I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll probably still check it out, as I love both Kipling and Gaiman.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    The Vertigo panel announced Death hardcover collections and a comic book adaptation of the Dream Hunters prose book.

Not sure if I'll get the Dream Hunters one, but looking forward to the Death HC. Now all that remains is a Lucifer HC announcement.
    Man, half the reason I liked Dream Hunters was Amano's artwork. Unless they're getting him to draw the comic book, I think I'll pass on that.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Taken as a whole, this is still the best comic series I've ever read. The Brief Lives story stands out as my favorite.

Endless Nights and the first Death book were interesting, but ultimately superfluous. So far, Mr.Punch and the Mirrormask movie are the only other Gaiman projects I've really liked. Stardust is a pretty fun movie too, but flawed by some bad performances (De Nero) and a run of the mill story.

Metatrad on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What? How is Stardust's story run-of-the-mill in any way, shape, or form?

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    What? How is Stardust's story run-of-the-mill in any way, shape, or form?

No, I sort of agree with him. It's very Gaiman-by-the-numbers, and ticks off a lot of the generic modern subversive fairy tale boxes. It's not bad, but it didn't rock my world or anything.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought DeNiro gave one of the best performances in the film. The one I was disappointed by was Ricky Gervais as Ricky Gervais.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Stardust was one of my favorite movies of last year

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stardust would have been a much better movie if they didn't feel the need to add action and a happy ending

also DeNiro's character was way too postmodern for a story like that

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    okay but the action in the movie was excellent

and the ending fit the tone of the movie very well

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stardust would have been a much better movie if they didn't feel the need to add action and a happy ending

also DeNiro's character was way too postmodern for a story like that

How did it end in the book?

And screw it, DeNiro as a gay sky pirate was perfect. I liked it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i saw that movie but have zero memory of how it ended

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Movie ending (from memory):
    He becomes immortal because she gave him her heart. They both live for hundreds of years, and then use a candle to go up into the sky and become stars together.

Book ending (from wiki):
    They live together until the guy gets old and dies, after which she continues to rule the kingdom alone.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also in the book there is no big fight with the witch.
    She uses more and more of her youth until she is extremely old and a little bit senile, so she just basically gives up on capturing Yvaine. They meet her at the fairy market and she's all muttering to herself and stuff.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    interesting. now that you're talking about it, i remember it a little more. i remember right before the fight with the witch, it suddenly struck me that the main character had gone from "wussy loser" straight to "crazy badass" and i missed the transition. about when he's sticking knives into the other dude's crotch and sneering i'm thinking "whoa, wait, what happened?"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    interesting. now that you're talking about it, i remember it a little more. i remember right before the fight with the witch, it suddenly struck me that the main character had gone from "wussy loser" straight to "crazy badass" and i missed the transition. about when he's sticking knives into the other dude's crotch and sneering i'm thinking "whoa, wait, what happened?"

The gay pirate taught him how to be a man.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I get what you mean, but I don't recall it being quite that jarring.

I vaguely remember sword-training montages with the pirates, and he is definitely a lot more mature and self-assured by the time he realises he loves Yvaine and goes back to Wall to dump his boyish crush.

Edit: Also cross-dressing does not automatically mean gay you know.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Virral wrote: »

Wasn't DeNiro giving the eye to some dude at the wedding?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not saying he wasn't gay, just... you know... that's a bit of a stereotype.

Meandering back on topic a bit, I would strongly recommend the Absolute books to any fan of the series, they are extremely nice.

Now I'm off to fight crime with my amazing power to state the obvious! *woosh*

(that was a sound effect of me flying away)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I started buying the trades right before the Absolutes came out. Is there anything I'm really missing out on, besides the better printing quality?

Metatrad on
  • Options
    HorseraddishHorseraddish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since I didnt think it was mentioned yet, American Gods should be required reading for anyone who likes Gaiman's work.

Horseraddish on
    If you're gonna punch someone in the face, aim for the back of the head.
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I get what you mean, but I don't recall it being quite that jarring.

I vaguely remember sword-training montages with the pirates, and he is definitely a lot more mature and self-assured by the time he realises he loves Yvaine and goes back to Wall to dump his boyish crush.

Actually, most transvestites are heterosexual. I don't personally understand the appeal, but most men who dress as women are straight.

Edit: note the difference between a transvestite and a drag queen, by the way: though the terms aren't always used consistently, there's a difference between a man who dresses as a woman because it 'feels right' and a man who does so for fun costumery.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    simsidesimside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Metatrad wrote: »
    I started buying the trades right before the Absolutes came out. Is there anything I'm really missing out on, besides the better printing quality?

Meh. I read the trades about three years ago and just started getting the absolutes. The bonus stuff in the absolute editions are stuff I could care less about, like full-length scripts and pictures of action figures and commentary on character designs, full-page illustrations by other artists, and stuff like that. The art from the other artists is cool, but it's not enough to justify shelling out the big bucks for the absolute editions if you don't want to. The only bonus material I didn't totally gloss over was the extensive merchandising section in the back of the third volume. I bought the absolute editions because I borrowed the series when I read it and I really like the high quality of the book itself.

Kyle mentioned earlier that they were talking about doing a supplemental Absolute volume of Sandman, which would be worth picking up for Dream Hunters and Endless Nights if you want to buy an absolute edition, but both of those are also available as trades. I'm not familiar with the other stuff in the volume, though.

simside on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    theoretically, the big appeal of the sandman absolutes is that they've been fully recolored. i haven't had my hands on a copy myself to compare side by side with the trades, but i remember when the first one was coming out i saw a comparison online and the difference was impressive.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    theoretically, the big appeal of the sandman absolutes is that they've been fully recolored. i haven't had my hands on a copy myself to compare side by side with the trades, but i remember when the first one was coming out i saw a comparison online and the difference was impressive.

The difference really is huge. Though I imagine the Absolutes are a loss leader, and the new hues will find their way into the TPB printings eventually.

Jacobkosh on