As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FINAL BYOC INFO! ALL BYOC ATTENDEES PLEASE READ!

• TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    TacoChief wrote: »
    BigRed isn't a moderator.

But big red is a volunteer for PAX making him a PAX employee which means he should at least be nice to people in general and not act like a smart ass to someone he doesn't even know.

Man, you really don't know BigRed. Also, he's known Trainwreckx for long before PAX, so does that mean he's off the hook for this one?

Sure, but im talking about him speaking to me, not trainwreck.... he does not know me, nor do I know him. I would just expect people in charge of anything should atleast have some level of general courtesy towards the population of their event.

TacoChief on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap, BigRed wasn't very nice. Quick, somebody call the press!

Ive found in general that none of the moderators are very nice, and seem to think that their power over a forum somehow makes them godly...
    Wow. Maybe in the subforums that I don't frequent but this one's always been cool.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok I'm done here, I'm not trying to cause a fight. My message was for Big Red only. I made the mistake of not sending him a PM, and making a post here anyway. Sorry about that, I shouldn't have done it. Moe, if I might suggest you just delete everything, including my original post, that would be great. I'll just talk to BR on my own time, which is what I should have done.

Edit: We've now got plenty of people that are not him arguing. This is silly. My comment was directly ONLY toward him, and I just made the statement that I would expect the same out of everyone. I wasn't saying I saw foul play from anyone else. Again, I suggest this get back on topic, because it's about to become the worse flame war I've seen on the PAX forums this year. Not worth it.

TrainwreckX on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ive found in general that none of the moderators are very nice, and seem to think that their power over a forum somehow makes them godly...
    Wow. Maybe in the subforums that I don't frequent but this one's always been cool.

See, there was an ion storm around his internet line while he logged in, so he's actually logging in from a bizarre parallel PAX forum, a "mirror universe' if you will.

In this universe, the mods are unfriendly, PAX takes place in Boston, and Moe doesn't have a beard.

OOooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOooo

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited August 2008

See, there was an ion storm around his internet line while he logged in, so he's actually logging in from a bizarre parallel PAX forum, a "mirror universe' if you will.

In this universe, the mods are unfriendly, PAX takes place in Boston, and Moe doesn't have a beard.

OOooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOooo

That sounds scary.... :|

TacoChief on
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

And I've found exactly the opposite, and can link you to thousands of posts to back that up. Hm. Strange.

Admitting yourself to be a brown noser doesnt mean that it doesnt happen.

Let's play a game! Link me to a post where a mod is being counterproductive, and I'll link you to two posts where they're being generally awesome. 1 guess who runs out of links first . . . if you can find one, that is.

Royale Wih Cheese on
    edited August 2008
    *BZZZZZ* Paging Moe Fwacky, cleanup on aisle 9!

TrainwreckX on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008

OOooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOooo
    murph-bizarro.jpg
    BIZARRO!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008

And I've found exactly the opposite, and can link you to thousands of posts to back that up. Hm. Strange.

Admitting yourself to be a brown noser doesnt mean that it doesnt happen.

Let's play a game! Link me to a post where a mod is being counterproductive, and I'll link you to two posts where they're being generally awesome. 1 guess who runs out of links first . . . if you can find one, that is.

Like i said brown noser, I am not accusing ALL moderators or any for that matter of being not awesome. I do not know any of them nor do I give a shit for that matter. Im just saying if someone is in charge of something they should have a general respect for the people they are serving. K thx bai

TacoChief on
    edited August 2008
    Okay guys, this is a thread about BYOC. I don't normally make the demand that you all get back on topic, but get back on topic.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Okay guys, this is a thread about BYOC. I don't normally make the demand that you all get back on topic, but get back on topic.

Would still like to buy a BYOC pass if anyone has one...

TacoChief on
    edited August 2008

And then . . .
    Like i said brown noser, I am not accusing ALL moderators or any for that matter of being not awesome. I do not know any of them nor do I give a shit for that matter. Im just saying if someone is in charge of something they should have a general respect for the people they are serving. K thx bai

One of these things is not like the other . . . if you're going to troll, at least stick to your guns :P

Royale Wih Cheese on
    edited August 2008

This is the last time I'm saying this.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Right on . . . BYOC it is :-)

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BEE
    WHY
    OOH
    SEE

magiic on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1) Im telling everyone, again, whos remotley intrested in byoc to buy their tickets right when it goes live, you can always get a refund or sell it on the forums. I dont see how I was mean in that post. Feel free to point it out to me via PM.
    2) that point becomes even more apparent when I pointed out the sellout rates.

But big red is a volunteer for PAX making him a PAX employee which means he should at least be nice to people in general and not act like a smart ass to someone he doesn't even know.

3) holy crap im a pax employee?

No, volunteers != employees. Entirley the opposite, I work my ass off at PAX (like 50x harder than I do at any real job) and the whole weekend leaves me about $1,000 out of pocket for hotel/food/parking to help put on the show in my own area.

Im nice and helpful to people on the forums, look in this thread and many others, If I was being a smartass everyone would know about it :P Unless smartass suddenly means POINTING OUT THE OVBIOUS then I can change my forum title to Captian Ovbious.... or... Bizarro captian ovbious... hrm...

Since this is your first day on the forums I sugguest you search for past byoc threads in the pax forum and then you can get a handle on what previous years are like, Will help you make informed judgements on what things will be like this year without threatening people and calling names.

4) keep this thread to BYOC questions and discussion. When PAX gets closer Im going to have the thread cleaned up a tad.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I enjoy my Logitech USB headset. Good sound, good mic, it's a logitech. And it only cost me $40 when I bought it. Qs23 and lordthanda both have the same headset as well, and I believe they also like it.

I also support this headset purchasing decision. The Logitech USB ones have incredible sound quality, and are pretty good at noise filtering on the mic.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited August 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    I enjoy my Logitech USB headset. Good sound, good mic, it's a logitech. And it only cost me $40 when I bought it. Qs23 and lordthanda both have the same headset as well, and I believe they also like it.

I also support this headset purchasing decision. The Logitech USB ones have incredible sound quality, and are pretty good at noise filtering on the mic.

What model number is it specifically?

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't tell you right now, as I'm at work and it's at home, but maybe Qs23 or lordthanda can be roused to answer this one.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    1) Im telling everyone, again, whos remotley intrested in byoc to buy their tickets right when it goes live, you can always get a refund or sell it on the forums. I dont see how I was mean in that post. Feel free to point it out to me via PM.
    2) that point becomes even more apparent when I pointed out the sellout rates.

3) holy crap im a pax employee?

No, volunteers != employees. Entirley the opposite, I work my ass off at PAX (like 50x harder than I do at any real job) and the whole weekend leaves me about $1,000 out of pocket for hotel/food/parking to help put on the show in my own area.

Im nice and helpful to people on the forums, look in this thread and many others, If I was being a smartass everyone would know about it :P Unless smartass suddenly means POINTING OUT THE OVBIOUS then I can change my forum title to Captian Ovbious.... or... Bizarro captian ovbious... hrm...

Since this is your first day on the forums I sugguest you search for past byoc threads in the pax forum and then you can get a handle on what previous years are like, Will help you make informed judgements on what things will be like this year without threatening people and calling names.

4) keep this thread to BYOC questions and discussion. When PAX gets closer Im going to have the thread cleaned up a tad.

I never threatened anyone actually, I dont even know any of you therefore a threat would mean nothing... Im glad youre willing to put forth effort into helping with PAX as I am glad that all the volunteers volunteer, without them it would not work. Im pretty rigorously searching for a BYOC pass as I am buying a new pc and am very interested in the WoW tourney. If you have any other ideas on how to help me out I would appreciate it, thanks.

TacoChief on
    edited August 2008
    I never threatened anyone actually, I dont even know any of you therefore a threat would mean nothing... Im glad youre willing to put forth effort into helping with PAX as I am glad that all the volunteers volunteer, without them it would not work. Im pretty rigorously searching for a BYOC pass as I am buying a new pc and am very interested in the WoW tourney. If you have any other ideas on how to help me out I would appreciate it, thanks.

You could enter this contest if you put off buying a new PC and your current computer is shitty enough :P

If you still cant find a BYOC pass you could take your chances at a day of pass. The decision to sell some passes at the door is made on saturday morning (around like 11am or so). If theres a large amount of noshows then we will sell passes at the door.

Safe bet is to not count on that happening though but its possible.

BigRed on
    edited August 2008

I found it, it's the Logitech Premium Headset 350

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008

You could enter this contest if you put off buying a new PC and your current computer is shitty enough :P

If you still cant find a BYOC pass you could take your chances at a day of pass. The decision to sell some passes at the door is made on saturday morning (around like 11am or so). If theres a large amount of noshows then we will sell passes at the door.

Safe bet is to not count on that happening though but its possible.

I wish I could enter the contest. There is a piece of garbage in my garage that was once considered a computer but that would be cheating :( my current pc and my new one are both very good. New one is a laptop though and wanted to put its mobility to use!

TacoChief on
    edited August 2008
    Are the mic and headphone cables seperate? I can't quite tell if they're seperate or bonded together at some point. At home on my big awesome gaming PC that I can't bring to PAX because I have no reasonable way to transport it and my monitor (which is why Im bringing a macbook pro instead of a "real computer") I have z-5500 spakers and as such the "headphone" port is on my desk on the speaker console whereas the "microphone" port is down on the back of my PC underneath my desk. I have had issues with headsets in past that I could not work up both at the same time because I couldn't get both to reach. I'd like to know if that will be an issue with these headphones thanks!

magiic on
    edited August 2008
    It's USB, everything runs into a USB cord and acts as it's own sound device (separate from your internal sound card).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    It's USB, everything runs into a USB cord and acts as it's own sound device (separate from your internal sound card).

oh ok, the picture linked shows it as having the black and pink hookups, no usb

magiic on
    edited August 2008
    magiic wrote: »

oh ok, the picture linked shows it as having the black and pink hookups, no usb

A lot of headsets have a seperate dongle that is a usb sound device and the heatset itself plugs into that (so the headset can be used with a normal soundcard as well)

BigRed on
    edited August 2008
    That might be a stock image. The one I have just has a USB cable.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008

Thanks.

TrainwreckX on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Thanks.

Indeed, that's the same one I have as well. Actually I have two I like them so much. :D

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited August 2008
    I suppose I should order something soon if I want it in time for PAX

magiic on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

i have one of those, too (i think everyone does!), but i find it a bit too bulky. the newer model is more comfortable, smaller, and offers better sound quality.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Comrade OneComrade One Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As far as headsets go... I dunno. I just got a pair of nice headphones and then a small lapel mic (an aoe mic!)

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-hd-212-pro.php
    and
    a lapel mic i found at bestbuy for 16 bucks.

Then if you're not talking to anyone the thing isn't in the way, and u can use the headphones for other things without looking like a total dork

i mean ok listening to ur ipod with huge ear headphones is a bit weird but at least you're not talking to the ipod through a headset :P

Comrade One on
    edited August 2008
    As far as headsets go... I dunno. I just got a pair of nice headphones and then a small lapel mic (an aoe mic!)

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-hd-212-pro.php
    and
    a lapel mic i found at bestbuy for 16 bucks.

Then if you're not talking to anyone the thing isn't in the way, and u can use the headphones for other things without looking like a total dork

i mean ok listening to ur ipod with huge ear headphones is a bit weird but at least you're not talking to the ipod through a headset :P

I already have a really good pair of Bose in-earbuds so I dont mind getting a dedicated headset

magiic on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For headset I've got that logictech that Moe talked about and I got it from SOCOM II. (Funny, I don't think I ever really played that game.

For headphones... I've got Sennheiser HD202. Becuase everybody at the radio station I was working at was using them.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use that pair of logitech's as my headset. They work nice and all that, very clear.. but they do seem a tad uncomfortable if I wear em for more than a couple hours. But for an inexpensive USB headset it works really well!

Course, I suspect I am gonna bring both the headset and my normal headphones with me to PAX.. so that if I am at the machine a long time just to game and not use vent or whatever, I can have more comfortable headphones on. The more comfortable ones? Sennheiser.

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But seriously, when can we expect the BYOC tournament list?

Soon.

This! D:

Zyzzyvas on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to try very hard to get the byoc contests finalized and send the byoc emailer out this week. I wanted to have that stuff done by the first of the month, but it's just on the lower end of priorities.

Basically, if anyone has some amazing ideas, now is a good time to suggest them. ;)

David Coffman on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    make another contest, specifically tailored towards my needs, so that i may get myself into byoc. ^-^

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi everyone. :) I have two questions about the BYOC area that I hope you can answer for me!

1) May I bring my tablet as well as my desktop, assuming I can fit everything in my assigned space? I run venty on my tablet and would rather just bring it rather than deal with getting it running on my tower. :)

2) Are Enforcers allowed inside the BYOC area, or is that limited only to those who are working the area? My husband is an Enforcer and we are curious if he can come visit me or use my computer during the weekend when he's not on duty.

Thanks!

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
This discussion has been closed.