As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robert Anton Wilson 1932-2007

mccmcc glitchRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I have just learned that Robert Anton Wilson, author of the Illuminatus! and Schrodringer's Cat trilogies, accidental John the Baptist figure of the Church of the Subgenius, and just all around mad-laughing-genius expert on the strange things people wind up believing, died yesterday. He was 74.

[quote=Robert Anton Wilson, 1995] According to reliable sources, I died on February 22, 1994 — George Washington’s birthday. I felt nothing special or shocking at the time, and believed that I still sat at my word processor working on a novel called Bride of Illuminatus. At lunch-time, however, when I checked my voice mail, I found that Tim Leary and a dozen other friends had already called to ask to speak to me, or — if they still believed in Reliable Sources — to offer support and condolences to my grieving family. I quickly gathered that news of my tragic end had appeared on the Internet in the form of an obituary from the Los Angeles Times: “Noted science-fiction author Robert Anton Wilson was found dead in his home yesterday, apparently the victim of a heart attack. Mr. Wilson, 63, was discovered by his wife, Arlen.

“Mr. Wilson was the author of numerous books… He was noted for his libertarian viewpoints, love of technology and off the wall humor. Mr. Wilson is survived by his wife and two children.”[/quote]

mcc on

• Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought Schrodringer's Cat a few years ago but never finished reading it, it was some crazy shit though.

klok on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :(

Fellhand on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Illuminatus! hurt my head so much. So wild and covered so many different bits and pieces.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fnord.

Just.....fnord. :cry:

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought Illuminatus! a while ago, and I just gave up after the first book. I might pick it up again later, but jesus christ.

Sorry to see him die, though - the books are a hell of an experience, at least.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really enjoyed the Illuminatus! books. A few years ago, after a night of drinking, I was walking home and noticed a neighbor sitting on his front stoop. We were shooting the shit for a while, and eventually he got around to talking about how he believed that a small cabal really does control everything, from 9/11 to engineering the AIDs virus, etc. Basically a real life entropykid. He was a little reluctant to talk about it, but I was obviously really intrigued to talk to someone who geniuinely believed this stuff. Anyway, I eventually said good night and we parted company.

A few days later, I left a copy of the Illuminatus! trilogy on his doorstep just to mess with him. Hope he liked it.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    OleubOleub Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    D:

Oleub on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    I have just learned that Robert Anton Wilson, author of the Illuminatus! and Schrodringer's Cat trilogies, accidental John the Baptist figure of the Church of the Subgenius, and just all around mad-laughing-genius expert on the strange things people wind up believing, died yesterday. He was 74.

Lemme guess. Cause of death as yet unknown, but the authorities have discovered traces of gas and a small amount of radioactive material on the premises?

[spoiler:6ba8ec1bcb]I know, heart attack. It's just a Schroedinger's Cat joke.[/spoiler:6ba8ec1bcb]

Tiemler on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's what I get for not logging onto the internet for a couple of days. I miss important news like this.

I actually enjoyed a lot of R.A. Wilson's work, even if it was really out there. He seemed to one of those people who walked that fine line between genius and insanity. If anyone is curious, you can find a number of freely available audio files of his lectures, comedy stand-up routine, and even his collaborative music with The Golden Horde at http://www.rawilsonfans.com/download.html.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really enjoyed the Illuminatus! books. A few years ago, after a night of drinking, I was walking home and noticed a neighbor sitting on his front stoop. We were shooting the shit for a while, and eventually he got around to talking about how he believed that a small cabal really does control everything, from 9/11 to engineering the AIDs virus, etc. Basically a real life entropykid. He was a little reluctant to talk about it, but I was obviously really intrigued to talk to someone who geniuinely believed this stuff. Anyway, I eventually said good night and we parted company.

A few days later, I left a copy of the Illuminatus! trilogy on his doorstep just to mess with him. Hope he liked it.

Sounds like a seriously informed and kick ass person. Good to see more people question the origins of 9/11 and AIDS. I used to be under the spell of the government after 2001, then a close army friend of mine started telling me about stuff I should research.

Of course, it's much more acceptable to say "the governments a bunch of incompetent idiots who messed up on Iraq" than to say a global Satanic elite stages wars, uses radical Muslims to create chaos, and enslaves humanity through harmful globalization.

Robert Anton Wilson is definately a legend in my book. While it was done in tongue and cheek, he brought the subject of corrupt Lucerferian worshipping elites to the mainstream, something that had only been whispered about behind the corridors of power.

I personally never read his Illuminatus trilogy, but Ive done a lot of research on some of the thing it touches upon. It seemed more satiracle than polemic.

Of course, my fave authors are by far William Gibson, Thomas Harris and Jim Marrs.

entropykid on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The problem with conspiracy theories is, they distract from the real problems Americans should be confronting about our system. As effectively as any mind-numbing reality TV series.

Our government was slow to appreciate the danger posed by AIDS, was slow to respond in the aftermath of Katrina, and did not act swiftly on intelligence foreshadowing the 9/11 attacks.

But when reasonable people try to raise public awareness of these failures, they are often drowned out by loudmouth idiots spouting bullshit they read in some counterculture "news" blog about HIV being a CIA bio-weapon, or Katrina being produced by microwave beams from a satellite, or 9/11 having been carried out by unmanned remotely-piloted aircraft.

This constant crying "wolf" just wrecks the credibility, by association, of anyone who criticizes the current administration. So that when evidence really does come to light that, for instance, our President deliberately misled the American people into a war, it takes years and thousands of deaths before the public begins to listen to what the opposition has to say.

Tiemler on