As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Unofficial PAX IRC Channel

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    the vent server has been broken for a while

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh WELL then... :-(

Alright, finding irc stuffs.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This post has been deleted for noobness. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And I'm assuming that I'm the only one having difficulties finding the IRC channel...

I've tried Mibbit and mIRC, and I can't seem to find you lot through either. It is still #paforums_pax, ja?

Twinkie on
    edited July 2008
    yup, are you connecting to irc.slashnet.org?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    sorry to bump this yet again moe...but for some reason...I'm not seeing anyone in the chat. Is anyone else having the same problem?

JonnyNero on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Netsplit maybe? I'm at work so I'm not going to check...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think everyone may have left because moe smells so bad

:)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does Trillian have an IRC function? I hope it does. I like having all my IM stuff in Trillian.

EDIT:
    It does. Hurray!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dunno about Trillian...I use Pidgin now and it works wonderfully for IRC and google chat and msn and everything else.

tr0tsky on
    edited July 2008
    peh, if you can call pidgin's abomination "IRC"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aye, just dropped in last night... I'd forgotten how much fun IRC chats are. I'll try to show up more often =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited July 2008
    For the record...

Sux:
    Chatzilla
    Trillian
    Pidgin
    Any Jabber client
    mIRC

Awesome:
    X-Chat
    irssi
    EPIC
    The client built-in to the original Unreal Tournament, just because

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited July 2008
    Oh! Heh, it's been so long since I'd used IRC, I figured mIRC was still the standard. =) I'll have to look for one of those good ones you mentioned there.

I was *particularly* annoyed by the length of the delay at startup in mIRC. I don't remember it being that annoying back in the day. I think it was probably a minute or more between when that donation pop-up comes up and when you can actually use the program now. Not fun. I mean, I can't blame the guy for wanting to get paid... but the length of that donation request pop-up is just way too long.

VThornheart on
    edited July 2008
    Nobody ever pays that guy, either. We all just get used to the nag screen.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• The EmitThe Emit Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to use mIRC exclusively way back when.... 10 years ago? geez, has it been that long?

Anyway, why are the awesomeness ones better than one like mIRC

The Emit on
    edited July 2008
    because of the nag-screen

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    My opinions are based largely on a) IRC clients builtin to catchall messaging clients are almost always terrible and the software buggy as hell and b) IRC shouldn't be a wysiwyg GUI that does everything for you. It's a command-based system and the closer you get to that reality the more knowledgable and better off you will be.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    know the trick to avoiding the nag screen on mIRC?

Never ever shut it down. :D

The Deliverator on
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For the record...

Sux:
    Chatzilla
    Trillian
    Pidgin
    Any Jabber client
    mIRC

Awesome:
    X-Chat
    irssi
    EPIC
    The client built-in to the original Unreal Tournament, just because

Another good one is Icechat (it's the irc client cool people use :) )

I used to use it but switched to xchat recently.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My opinions are based largely on a) IRC clients builtin to catchall messaging clients are almost always terrible and the software buggy as hell and b) IRC shouldn't be a wysiwyg GUI that does everything for you. It's a command-based system and the closer you get to that reality the more knowledgable and better off you will be.

You still coding in Assembler as well?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited July 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

You still coding in Assembler as well?

People should. That's the way to produce the fastest running, most efficient, smallest and leanest applications. Not the bloated crap that gets spewed out of all these WYSIWYG dev "studios" where programming has been replaced by selecting 10000 different drop down menus and then compiling.

However, I probably shouldn't talk, I gave up programming 8 years ago and I'm not going back.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited July 2008
    I shudder to think of how complicated it would be to maintain a modern application if it was written entirely in Assembler. Oh, the humanity =)

But I do like going old school, so it's a give and take. =)

VThornheart on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I take it you're a fan of BitchX?

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

I would have listed it if it weren't out of development for several years and the last release has significant flaws.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited July 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

I would have listed it if it weren't out of development for several years and the last release has significant flaws.

I know a lot of BitchX fans have switched to irssi, but it feels different. Supposedly a new BX is in the works, been a while though. The splash screens bring me nostalgia of my BBS days.

redhalo on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "The best Penny Arcade IRC in town! Two thumbs way up!" -ACC3SS

ACC3SS on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For the Mac people in here, Colloquy is a good one to use. I've only had problems with it very rarely and I think those got fixed with the last update. Plus it looks like an official apple application, but it's not entirely WYSIWYG.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, like, what the hell? It's 2:00 in the morning on a Tuesday and it's me and one other dude in the IRC channel.

Fail.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    So, like, what the hell? It's 2:00 in the morning on a Tuesday and it's me and one other dude in the IRC channel.

Fail.

You're doing it wrong, because there has been 50+ people at any given moment 24hrs a day for quite some time.

Fail.

redhalo on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You're probably joining the wrong room. If you can't do that on your own, I just made getting to the correct place super easy, just go to http://pax.wikidot.com click show IRC chat (it's in the middle) and pick a nickname.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »

Fail.

2am on a Tuesday an expecting people? Lots of us are older aka have jobs and thus are not on around the clock.

MaoChan on
    edited August 2008
    Transparent is probably right about Arco having the wrong room, but I'm annoyed that I'm at work and can't shower him with image macros.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    Also, 2am on the west coast is 5am on the east coast. So those of us in later time zones go to sleep earlier.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I leave irssi up all the time on my server, so it looks like I'm always in there, but in reality I only spend about an hour a day on chat.

Kyouteki on
    edited August 2008
    It was too hot last night for me to stay in my room to chat. =( I'm forming a janky DIY air conditioner tonight though, by hook or by crook. I WILL be cool! Rawr!

When that's done, if it works, I'll be on =) If not, I'll be crying steaming-hot tears of slowly roasting pain. =(

VThornheart on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I WILL be cool! Rawr!

Hey now, let's try to keep things reasonable in here...there's a time and a place for daydreaming, but the IRC thread is not it.

tr0tsky on
  • specspec Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bumpity bump ... Come on! All the cool people are there!

spec on
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe, I think you got me hooked. I hit the IRC now more than the forums! *lol* It's way fun folks and IRC is much easier than you think. I'm a total noob at it but I get along just fine. We have great conversations about fish slapping, rape, economice (I kid you not), and, oh yeah, gaming. Come one, come all! It's fun for all ages.... on second though it's fun for consenting adults! ;-)

MR.T on
    edited September 2008
    Aye... I haven't been on in a bit, because I've been working until almost midnight trying to get the stuff ready at my work for when I won't be physically there... I miss you guys already! =(

I'll have to hop on at least one more time before the move to feed the IRC addiction. =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.