As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Pax Breakfast (Pike Place) NOW WITH PICS!

• MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »
    Welcome back Mr. T! I must say, in the photos, you kinda look like a white Mr. T. Its very weird.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm a little paler than my namesake! But what's not to love about white chocolate? :winky:
    and also, for the name thing, those of us that have met up IRL at the Pre-PAX seattlite luncheon have found that in the end its just easier to remember someone's forumer name then to go "okay, so he's John, she's Sue, and wait, we had three Steves?"

We're nerds. We should be proud of our forum names! 8-) I'll hapily go by Mr.T, T, or Kurtis. They're all good!

MR.T on
  • The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So...I'm training for a marathon and I see this thread and thought "Awesome! Other runners at PAX are trying to get together for some training before the day starts!"

Then I started reading it.

Then I remembered PAX last year.

Ah, the joy of pre-conceived notions. Breakfast is still good though, and the Crumpet shoppe was definitely good!

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
    edited July 2008
    *LOL* Yeah, by run I meant walk down and catch some grub! I've got a big weekend planned, I'm not using all my energy in the first day! :winky:

MR.T on
  • Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, where should we all meet at? The Pig (Also next to the fish market) is what I think.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Well, the plan is to meet on the corner of 6th and Pike to walk down together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you read the OP, it already says 9 AM on the corner of 6th and Pike.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Ghost117Ghost117 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Great Idea! I know an amazing place to get breakfast in Pike Place: Cafe Yarmarka
    its an amazing little russian place in one of the back alleys in pike place, has some of the best russian food i have ever had.

Ghost117 on
    edited July 2008
    What exactly is russian food? I mean I know it's food that originates from Russia, but I actually have no idea what that would entail, particularly for breakfast.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    What exactly is russian food? I mean I know it's food that originates from Russia, but I actually have no idea what that would entail, particularly for breakfast.

I've had bleenies before, they're like potato pancakes with caviar. Pretty good, but I love all things potato.

redhalo on
    edited July 2008
    From my research, Cafe Yarmarka is like Piroshky-piroshky, only it's not as hyped and is better.

There's probably other options, but filled pastries seem to be what's popular.

Transparent on
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Well, the plan is to meet on the corner of 6th and Pike to walk down together.

Right... I... knew that. This was just a test.

You failed horribly.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    theoretically russian food is a lot of stuff from potatoes, and fish. Especially caviar. Bleenies (if thats how you want to spell it) is actually just a russian version of a crepe. You can fill it with a lot of great stuff. But like Transparent said, yarmarka is more of a piroshky place. The best things to eat there for breakfast would be the piroshky, and some other sweet treats. If your feeling really hungry, you can eat some of the best borsh (or borsht - though i never understood why people put a T at the end. Im russian, and i assure you, there is no T in that word!) Also they have great pelmeni, wich is basically really good ravioli, but thats definetly not a breakfast thing...

Edit: Before i forget, inside the central area of pike place, a bit past the fish market area, is a great little doughnut place( in both meanings -they are a small place, and they have small doughnuts) Pretty cheap, and portable, so a good snack on the way to the convention hall, or at it.

Ghost117 on
    edited July 2008
    Ghost117 wrote: »
    ...little doughnut place( in both meanings -they are a small place, and they have small doughnuts) Pretty cheap, and portable, so a good snack on the way to the convention hall, or at it.

That place is awesome. I reccomend it. Im not sure when it opens however.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ghost117 wrote: »
    ...little doughnut place( in both meanings -they are a small place, and they have small doughnuts) Pretty cheap, and portable, so a good snack on the way to the convention hall, or at it.

That place is awesome. I reccomend it. Im not sure when it opens however.

it would be shameful to all doughnuts places everywhere if they were not open for breakfast. (and i believe they open when the sun rises.)

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Russian and Slavic food in general is awesome! I'm more familiar with Polish cuisine but I'd take a tasty nalesnik over a crepe or pancake any day! They have this awesome sweet cheese on their nalesniki that is to die for! Paczki or Polish jelly doughnuts are also excellent. They fill it with rose petal jam and they are really tasty and unique. :P They have some wonderful dinner options too like saurkraut stew (bigos) or the classic kielbasa (Polish sausage). I hope I see a Polish restaurant while I'm in Seattle. I can't find much of that here in Idaho. :cry:

MR.T on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in! :D

"Crumpet Shop (Delicious crumpets) - Highly Recommended

Cheap (<$10)"

mmmmm

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2008
    Just to let everyone know, I had a vision about our breakfast and it was awesome! I guess it could have just been a normal dream. I WAS driving a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and looked like a Greek God... But I still got a few weeks! 8-)

MR.T on
    edited August 2008
    mmm. crumpets sound really good right now. I have never seen the scumpet shop in pike place before, where is it exactly? Also, did anyone check the weather before they planned this. It IS Seattle you know. It really does rain half the year...

Ghost117 on
    edited August 2008
    Ghost117: I'm pretty sure that weathermen basically just have a dice with all the types of weather on it. Our guess is probably as good as theirs. It'll be summer, though, so a nice shower might be refreshing!

MR.T on
    edited August 2008
    See, this is why I like Dick Goddard, our local weatherman. He doesn't just tell you the weather, he tells you why that's the weather. The man is almost 80 years old and knows every weather pattern that could potentially hit Ohio.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Sadly, our weathermen use our local station as a stepping stone to greater glory. I do take some solice in the fact that their greater glory basically consists of Boise, ID or Salt Lake City, UT. Yeah, not exactly New York City.

BTW: I changed the name of the thread to avoid confusion about the Pre-Pax Run event.

MR.T on
    edited August 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, I had a vision about our breakfast and it was awesome! I guess it could have just been a normal dream. I WAS driving a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and looked like a Greek God... But I still got a few weeks! 8-)

Oh come on, I have that dream all the time....

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    MR.T wrote: »

Oh come on, I have that dream all the time....
    I wish my dreams were that cool. The last few days I've been waking up in the morning right after telling someone off in my dreams. It's tripping me out. Today it was "I'm a better person than you are Mom, and Dad, fuck him!" I have no idea why my subconscious is so angry lately.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    I had a dream last night where I was a goat herder (no joke), but all my goats were replaced with cattle. I was so confused I looked up the definition of goat, and it said cow.

I woke up so friggen confused....

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so i don't know if this is really a good place, but i'm trying to keep the cosplay thread from being my own little soap-box.

so, there was talk of all of us going and waiting in line after breakfast, right? well, would anyone mind me leaving the group about an hour before they open the doors to go change into my zerosuit and then coming back and rejoining the group just before 2? my costume is made of neoprene, which can get warm, so i'm trying to limit the time i'm in costume to about 4-5 hours. however, i want to be able to hang out with you guys and enjoy the concerts that night.

i promise to wait the whole time with you until i have to go change, and if i don't get back in time, i won't try to cut or anything. i'll wait at the back of the line like a good little bounty hunter.

thoughts?

Lyanth on
    edited August 2008
    I don't think anyone will have a problem holding a spot in line for you. In fact, I would imagine complete strangers would let Samus Aran skip them.

redhalo on
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone will have a problem holding a spot in line for you. In fact, I would imagine complete strangers would let Samus Aran skip them.

thanks for the vote of confidence. i just don't want anyone getting angry about some chick in a body suit thinking she can skip in line.

Lyanth on
    edited August 2008
    Work it if you got it.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    I think you'll be fine Lyanth. I'm sure everyone wil save your spot. Especially the super-classy folks that will be attending the breakfast! 8-) Pax seems like it attracts cool people that woudn't get mad about silly things like that. Besides there is the aforementioned tendency for nerds to yield to cute girls in metroid body-suits! :winky:

MR.T on
  • katherine_84fkatherine_84f Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm on board for the breakfast. We'll have a group of six, and we'll have just arrived in Seattle as of 11PM - bear with the grumpy early-morning folks! Last time, we just bought the amazing hot doughnuts, and some fresh peaches. I tried to share a strudel that was as big as my head with 1 other person, but it would have fed 4 people more appropriately.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow PAXers!

katherine_84f on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woot! now that I'm going to PAX, I'll be there with bells on for the Breakfast! =) Yea! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited August 2008
    Lol, you're going to post in every thread about coming aren't you. You deserve it. :^:

redhalo on
    edited August 2008
    lol! =) I hadn't consciously noticed =) There was so much stuff I had told people I was going to tentatively do if I could get to PAX, so now I have to make the rounds and tell everyone I'll be there to the event! ;)

This is going to be one heck of a weekend! =)

VThornheart on
    edited August 2008
    VT: Did you win that contest then? That's awesome that you'll be there! We'll look forward to seeing you at the breakfast.

MR.T on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

thanks for the vote of confidence. i just don't want anyone getting angry about some chick in a body suit thinking she can skip in line.

If they do the line-up like last year, there were people leaving the group they wetre with in line, and doing food runs, hotel runs, what have you, all the time. No one had any problems with it. You should be fine joining back up with the group after changing Lyanth!

Also, this should be lots of fun, if I can manage to wake up early enough :P

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited August 2008
    Yeah Lyanth, you should be fine. Why would anyone bug you anywho?

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    @Lyanth: Aye, no worries Lyanth. We'll form a brute squad for your convenience =)

@Mr. T: Yep, I won! Wooooot! I'll see you there!

VThornheart on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I bet I can get geekgrrl to join me and us for a breakfast rendevous. I'm going to ask her next we speak.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited August 2008
    Now that VT is coming to our breakfast, our circle of triumph is complete! VT and Crumpets, what could be better? 8-)

MR.T on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am so ridiculously excited about all this! Only 2 and a bit weeks to go!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
This discussion has been closed.