As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who the Hell Reads Archie?

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Graphic Violence
I was just reading an article about the literary classic "The Punisher Meets Archie" when a thought crossed my mind: who reads Archie?

Archie Comics has other titles like Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Sonic the Hedgehog, titles that assume people would be much more interested in. Archie is also the only comic I've ever seen in digest form sitting on the racks in check-out lines, chilling out with TV Guide and Reader's Digest.

I also can't for the life of me imagine a guy that frequents a comic shop to ask "Has the new Archie come in yet?" If you're that guy, please speak up!

Hexmage-PA on

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i don't even think my comic shop sells archie. i mostly see it at grocery stores.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just checked Wikipedia, and yes, there are tons of Archie-related pages. I still can't imagine what kind of person an Archie nerd would be, though. It just seems so bizarre.

Hexmage-PA on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    I think a ton of kids went through those phases of reading Archie for a year or so (7 or 8?). I used to work at a library and there's an age where kids just devour stuff like Archie, Garfield, the Asterix/Tintin books... Then they realize that they're basically reading the same thing over and over and move on to something else like the Goosebumps books.

I used to like the Harvey comics too at that age. I still want to be Richie Rich.

DMAC on
    edited August 2008
    goosebumps. now there's something that's not repetitive at all.

p.s. tintin is awesome dmac. why tha hatin

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I also can't for the life of me imagine a guy that frequents a comic shop to ask "Has the new Archie come in yet?" If you're that guy, please speak up!

I had one at work a couple months ago, and read through it because 1. I was bored and 2. I hadn't touched one since I was little.

It was alright.

Silvoculous on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog is the only thing I read from them, and that's mainly because of Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    goosebumps. now there's something that's not repetitive at all.

p.s. tintin is awesome dmac. why tha hatin

No hate for Tintin, Asterix is fantastic too. They just fell into that category of books that kids would take out in batches and go through in a couple of weeks.

If you want repetitive, one summer I read over a hundred of the Hardy Boys novels. Somewhere near the end of my fixation, my dad asked me if either of the brothers had been knocked out in the one I was reading and I realized they had... and in the one before... and the one before that. He pointed out that they probably had brain damage from being knocked unconscious so often.

DMAC on
    edited August 2008
    i read my share of hardy boys books. the only plot i remember with any clarity is a more modern one where there's a video game so advanced that it mimics reality and the boys have to solve a mystery in this fantasy rpg dungeon. either joe or frank (i suspect it was joe) had to learn a little fancy swordplay because, y'know, in the fantasy rpg dungeon game, slicing up a motherfucker is totally legal and depending on the motherfucker, enhances their standing as dorky dudley do-rights. anyway, he learns this sword move that's described as being like, remedial sword tricks 101 by the person who teaches joe (or frank), and it will be useless against anyone who has a little sword training, or at least three limbs. it involves making a "W" shape in the air with your sword, thereby disarming your opponent, in some manner. he tries it on some goon and totally whips this idiot's ass, it's great. then, at the end of the book, frank (but probably joe) is fighting the biggest baddest dork in the dungeon, the evil nerd who did all of the murders or whatever. joe tries out his slick-ass sword trick and the guy disarms joe and proceeds to laugh that he tried such an amateur trick on his bepimpled majesty. that's about all i remember, so as far as i know he killed them and that was the last book.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seems the Hardy Boys learned the hardest lesson of all: You die in the game, you die for real!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • The JokerThe Joker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now that you mention it, Archie has his own god damn shelf at my comic store. Not a full one, but a little mini-shelf, with all the Archie brand comics. Although about 2/3's of them are Archie (the character) related, being either the title book, Betty and Veronica, Jughead, or whatever the fuck else there is. And I don't recall seeing anyone ever buy one. I'll ask the guy who works there tomorrow, and see if it's just little kids, or if there are any college age guys like myself who are just fucking hardcore into Archie.

The Joker on
    edited August 2008
    The Joker wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, Archie has his own god damn shelf at my comic store. Not a full one, but a little mini-shelf, with all the Archie brand comics. Although about 2/3's of them are Archie (the character) related, being either the title book, Betty and Veronica, Jughead, or whatever the fuck else there is. And I don't recall seeing anyone ever buy one. I'll ask the guy who works there tomorrow, and see if it's just little kids, or if there are any college age guys like myself who are just fucking hardcore into Archie.

haha when you say it like that suddenly i can imagine exactly where it is in my shop too. that's weird, i was totally blanking on it.

well, they really have only stocked one punisher comic over there before, so i guess i don't browse it much

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited August 2008
    I have a monthly subscription to both archie and betty/veronica digest

I am in no way joking here

Whippy on
    edited August 2008
    I have a monthly subscription to both archie and betty/veronica digest

I am in no way joking here

Would you mind telling us all why?

The Joker on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think Archie is exported to the UK, or if it was I don't ever recall seeing it. Saying that, we had the Dandy and the Beano to make up for it.

Wildcat on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I don't think Archie is exported to the UK, or if it was I don't ever recall seeing it. Saying that, we had the Dandy and the Beano to make up for it.

You can get it in WHSmiths, its normally with the fishing magasines.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Ha, we didn't even have a WH Smiths here until about 2005 :P

Wildcat on
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never read Archie, but a kid I hated who went to gradeschool with me collected Archie comics.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Archie is one of those odd cultural phenomenons that seemingily has zero fan support, but will never die

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never really read Archie, though I did snag a few as a distraction once when I was a kid and was going through a rough time. It's weird, I never had the slightest inkling of interest in the series/characters, but under stress, I guess something colourful and impressively non-offensive seemed appealing.

That said, I read in droves tons of things mentioned here; garfield, hardy boys, the three investigators, peanuts, etc. The only thing that really stuck with me until this day would be Calvin & Hobbes.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Koopin KrackerzKoopin Krackerz Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    The only time I ever read an Archie comic was when I was younger and read the Sonic comics. They were pretty good. Haven't picked one up though since the 4th grade. The rest of the Archie comics just didn't look appealing at all.

Koopin Krackerz on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm guessing that Archie comics are a lot like blue sky games on the wii. People really into games/comics don't really see the appeal, but I bet they sell a lot fucking better than the stuff they do like.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think people are just waiting for the issue where Archie finally manages to talk Betty and Veronica into a three-way.

CyberJackal on
    edited August 2008
    "From the creators of Punisher Max, get ready for new levels of debauchery and sin from... Archie Max"

Jughead beats someone to death with a cheeseburger.

Archie does a line of coke off the teacher's desk while the whole class watches.

Utterly gratuitous Betty/Veronica shower scene that takes a full trade to finish (unlike most readers, who are probably done by page 4).

Forar on
    edited August 2008
    Oh, another Archie / Punisher crossover?

Wildcat on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    "From the creators of Punisher Max, get ready for new levels of debauchery and sin from... Archie Max"

Jughead beats someone to death with a cheeseburger.

Archie does a line of coke off the teacher's desk while the whole class watches.

Utterly gratuitous Betty/Veronica shower scene that takes a full trade to finish (unlike most readers, who are probably done by page 4).

I would buy this for the cheeseburger scene alone.

Jughead and Popeye's Wimpy ... cage match to the death.

emnmnme on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Could be worse, Frank Miller could be writing, and we all know that would end in whores.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We pick up an Archie every now and again at the grocery store. They're good poop-reading.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Oh, another Archie / Punisher crossover?

... what?

*wikipedia*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Meets_The_Punisher

:lol:

Forar on
  • jacripejacripe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar, fuckin genius!

Who reads Archie? Kids whos moms think most comics are the devil. Seriously, me and my brother fucked upa first printing of Eastman and Laird's TMNT because of the violence and swears... I could fucking kill myself.
    I actually owned that crossover as it was my favourite hero in a format acceptable by my mom. I still have the sneaking suspicion my mom threw away my Punisher 2099 #1 because of the violence.

jacripe on
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon
    Blog | Ficly | Email | Zine
    edited August 2008
    Archie Meets The Punisher is hillarious, by the way. That's the one Archie comic I do actually own (other than some old Sonic the Hedgehogs from when I was a kid).

The Joker on
    edited August 2008
    Here's the "review" I read: Riverdale and the NRA?
    Jughead meets WOLVERINE
    pva%20jughead%20mutant%20finale.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2008
    jacripe wrote: »
    Forar, fuckin genius!

Who reads Archie? Kids whos moms think most comics are the devil. Seriously, me and my brother fucked upa first printing of Eastman and Laird's TMNT because of the violence and swears... I could fucking kill myself.
    I actually owned that crossover as it was my favourite hero in a format acceptable by my mom. I still have the sneaking suspicion my mom threw away my Punisher 2099 #1 because of the violence.

Well, if she has a problem with violence then she might need to throw out her Bible, too. The Old Testament in particular has some pretty grisly (and by grisly I mean awesome) descriptions of murder and assassination.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2008
    We pick up an Archie every now and again at the grocery store. They're good poop-reading.

i have marvel adventures and jlu comics for that

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    but those are good all the time readin

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Anything is good poop-reading, provided you have a comfy toilet seat. My bathroom is where most of my reading gets done.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yea, but these are like Reader's Digest and just sit on the back of the toilet and crap.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • jacripejacripe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Well, if she has a problem with violence then she might need to throw out her Bible, too. The Old Testament in particular has some pretty grisly (and by grisly I mean awesome) descriptions of murder and assassination.

Yeah, the immorality of the bible is what drove me away, and I've had religious discussion with my mom since I left the church, but you're not seriously suggesting I try to take my mom's religion away?

EDIT:
    Shame that Jughead never came out...

jacripe on
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon, you will know...
    Soon
    Blog | Ficly | Email | Zine
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I work at a bookstore, and we stock both the comic-book sized Archies, and the digest ones. I've only been party to one person buying them, and he wasn't a small child. Sadly, I can't recall specifically enough to guess whether he was old enough to be buying them for nostalgia, or college aged.

And at least one of my female coworkers has mentioned she either did, or does, read them.

I could get the numbers and compare how many I receive vs. how many I send back.

Tamin on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Heh, I guess it IS a phase. I do remember back when I was in 6th or 4th grade I picked up a bunch of Archies. They were fun back then but I don't really see me picking up an Archie comic.

I did like Archie Comics' TMNT tho. How did it end? Last issue I picked (after skipping 6 or so), you had a Raphael and Donatello from the future? Fanfic made canon?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • dr. ghostdr. ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    I think a ton of kids went through those phases of reading Archie for a year or so (7 or 8?). I used to work at a library and there's an age where kids just devour stuff like Archie, Garfield, the Asterix/Tintin books... Then they realize that they're basically reading the same thing over and over and move on to something else like the Goosebumps books.

I used to like the Harvey comics too at that age. I still want to be Richie Rich.
    this is damn accurate.
    i used to check out a bunch of those comics when i was 8 (circa 93).

dr. ghost on