As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

• Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You thought it was a good film but was surprised by the near unanimous praise? I'm baffled. Maybe you're overestimating the amount of people who are under the opinion that the movie is perfect. I've read plenty of positive reviews and fan impressions critiquing certain aspects of the movie, and your criticisms were all already mentioned before.

Aleph on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    So let's talk about the next movie. Good, bad, potentially bad but probably going to end up good...?

That article kinda made it sound like the studio was trying to snatch up commitments from actors for any villain they could think of just in case a role was included. Of course, with the kind of bank this one is generating the studios probably can't throw money at the next one fast enough.

I highly doubt the truth to that article. Nolan has said it again and again that he'd never use The Penguin or Catwoman in his new batman universe, and Nolan has ALOT of pull in the franchise - he writes the damn thing with his brother and their team of writers. If the studios even piss him off, they know they're in for some shit.

Did he say why he would never use either of those characters?

I don't have a link to the article, but from what I recall (which isn't much) it was because he felt The Penguin was a flat, filler character, where he'd had to do a lot of back-story and re-creation work to reinvent the character - and he's said that he doesn't want to reinvent characters, he wants to take their current incarnations and "illuminate them at their best."

As for the Catwoman thing, I think it's something about the reality of such a character interfering with Bruce Wayne's world and the unlikeliness of it.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ha, The Dark Knight is still kicking ass, it held the #1 spot this weekend for the third week in a row despite the third Mummy movie being released. That may or may not surprise you, but considering the previous two Mummy films were big financial successes, it actually came as a surprise to me.

The totals were:

The Dark Knight - $43.8 million
    The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - $42.5 million

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080803/ap_en_mo/box_office)

Yeah, it beat it out by small margin, but it's still extremely impressive given The Dark Knight has been out for three weeks now. It's assumed TDK will hit $400 million domestically by tomorrow, which would be the movie's 18th or 19th day of release.

The current record holder for quickest to $400 million domestically is Shrek 2, which hit that mark in 43 days, and TDK will get there in damn near half that time. The Dark Knight continues to amaze me with how well it's doing, but at the same time it isn't, considering just how phenomenal the movie was.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe Catwoman won't show up then. But I'd like it if Selena Kyle did.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    First of all, what is it with Americans cheering at movies? In Blighty, breathing too loud's enough to get you stern looks from most cinemagoers.

It depends on the movie and the circumstances. A showing in the middle of the day with a bunch of old people? Silence. Midnight showing with a ton of young people and people dressed up as batman and the joker? Cheering and clapping. Obviously those are the extremes and usually things are weighted more towards silence.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really don't understand the criticism of "conceited", "self-indulgent", "pretentious" or "pompous" that I read in most of the negative reviews. It's like we try and punish movies for aiming high.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    I really don't understand the criticism of "conceited", "self-indulgent", "pretentious" or "pompous" that I read in most of the negative reviews. It's like we try and punish movies for aiming high.

I'd like to believe that all the negative reviews were paid for by opposing studios :wink:

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or maybe people who got to the boat scene and had to restrain themselves from shouting, "Really? This is really where you're going with this? Really?!" in a crowded movie theater.

With the exception of the ending payoff, that whole scene was just garbage. Only the tension built up by everything before it kept it from sinking the movie outright.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    what was wrong with it?

Tube on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The boat scene was one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie, and that is not a rare opinion.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what was wrong with it?

That the other movie studios thought it was just too awesome, of course. 8-)

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    what was wrong with it?

yeah i'm confused. I thought that whole thing was really well done.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I strongly suspect most heterosexual males would (opinions preferences lol), but after the travesty that was the last "Catwoman" (in no way affiliated with the DC character Catwoman) fiasco, I'm surprised that they're even looking at another such film.

The working title for Catwoman was Untitled 'Batman Returns' Spin-off (USA) (working title).

Terrible script, but she did look good.

catwoman250e.jpgcatwoman-1.JPG

Catwoman_154559a.jpg

catwoman_halle_berry_leather_costume.jpg

halle_berry_catwoman_hq_001.jpg

I'd like to see this design, if they ever have Catwoman as a villain

alice_catwoman.jpg

bychance on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Morithain wrote: »
    Ha, The Dark Knight is still kicking ass, it held the #1 spot this weekend for the third week in a row despite the third Mummy movie being released. That may or may not surprise you, but considering the previous two Mummy films were big financial successes, it actually came as a surprise to me.

The totals were:

The Dark Knight - $43.8 million
    The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - $42.5 million

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080803/ap_en_mo/box_office)

Yeah, it beat it out by small margin, but it's still extremely impressive given The Dark Knight has been out for three weeks now. It's assumed TDK will hit $400 million domestically by tomorrow, which would be the movie's 18th or 19th day of release.

The current record holder for quickest to $400 million domestically is Shrek 2, which hit that mark in 43 days, and TDK will get there in damn near half that time. The Dark Knight continues to amaze me with how well it's doing, but at the same time it isn't, considering just how phenomenal the movie was.

I think it was moviefone that I read this in, but they had an article with an amusing caption under it that said something like, instead of seeing The Dark Knight for the 10th time, here are a list of other movies worth watching too.

That is so true. It almost feels like every other film doesn't exist, even if its good.

bychance on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Halle Berry's Catwoman costume was terrible.

If they use Catwoman in a movie they can just use her current costume. It translates to real life well, and that's without Hollywood money

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the movie was bloated, the first half was weaker than the second, and the cellphone echolocation bit nearly placed the movie right back on the shelf labeled "typical, unrealistic comic book tripe"

those are what I feel are the film's biggest flaws. When I say bloated, I don't mean there was an overabundance of bad scenes. There were too many highs and lows throughout, which threw off the overall pacing of the movie and made it feel more like an endless rollercoaster rather than, let's say for the sake of poorly drawn metaphors, the crescendo of a symphony. In all fairness, I've often hear movies described in that way as a very positive note. I guess some people really enjoy it. Anyway, the first half wasn't bad at all, and the hong kong scene was grade A badass, but in retrospect I have a hard time figuring out why it was there in terms of plot progression and why it took so long for us to see more of the joker. Then there was the cell phone scene. I know it's been said, but it honestly made me wonder if Nolan had momentarily forgotten he was filming the new Batman instead of a new Daredevil flick. It wasn't poorly done, but it definitely took me out of the illusion that I was watching an intense crime drama. Unlike everything else batman does in the movie, that bit is the stuff of pure comic book fantasy, which is exactly what I thought they were trying to avoid.

Those are the only real flaws I can remember after watching it a week ago. But this is me being nit picky just because I can. I'd still give the film an A+ (though not a perfect score. more like 98%) and label it, without hesitation, the best movie based on a major super hero license.

Guek on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    what was wrong with it?
    Mostly my problems are with the non-criminal boat. Both boats, people supposedly in charge standing around with the detonators waiting for someone else to make a decision for them seemed moderately ridiculous to me, but it was easy for me to ignore.

I found it harder to ignore that the only people who spoke up on the regular people boat were pro-killing. The fact that nobody spoke up against committing murder, or taking a goddamned vote on murder, the fact that everybody on that boat was simply comfortable with allowing that one guy to pull the trigger, or that once he chickened out, none of the pro-"Save ourselves" crowd had the balls to step up and do it themselves... it all just rang hollow. They didn't seem like real people, and it took me out of the movie to see this puppet show morality play where every line was like some kind of cliche checklist "They're criminals! They deserve to die!". In any other movie it would've been laughable. Zeus made up for it with the, "I'll do what you should've done ten minutes ago" line but it was a close thing

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If they're bringing in Catwoman then she'd have to be an ordinary (except for the fact that she's brilliant) cat burglar. In which case the only costume that would work would be the one from the current Catwoman comics. I may be biased though as I like that particular costume a lot.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Part of me would really like to know what the Nolan brothers had planned for the third movie had Ledger been alive to make it. But then another part knows that I would just be really pissed that it can never work now.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bychance wrote: »

Broken image, link works tho.

Who's the lady in red?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New Ventriloquist

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd really like to see a whole issue done by Nguyen in that nifty watercolor/marker/whatever-the-hell style.

It looks so classy.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    what was wrong with it?
    Mostly my problems are with the non-criminal boat. Both boats, people supposedly in charge standing around with the detonators waiting for someone else to make a decision for them seemed moderately ridiculous to me, but it was easy for me to ignore.

I found it harder to ignore that the only people who spoke up on the regular people boat were pro-killing. The fact that nobody spoke up against committing murder, or taking a goddamned vote on murder, the fact that everybody on that boat was simply comfortable with allowing that one guy to pull the trigger, or that once he chickened out, none of the pro-"Save ourselves" crowd had the balls to step up and do it themselves... it all just rang hollow. They didn't seem like real people, and it took me out of the movie to see this puppet show morality play where every line was like some kind of cliche checklist "They're criminals! They deserve to die!". In any other movie it would've been laughable. Zeus made up for it with the, "I'll do what you should've done ten minutes ago" line but it was a close thing
    Uh they do argue about it, people do speak up. The guard even says at first we are not having a vote. And they read the results of the vote at the end, it's like 300 for blowing up the other boat and 180 against. Which I think is a fairly reasonable estimation of how people would vote. But its pretty clear that not everyone is for the idea, and even when they do vote to do it no one wants to go through with it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    what was wrong with it?

Uh they do argue about it, people do speak up. The guard even says at first we are not having a vote. And they read the results of the vote at the end, it's like 300 for blowing up the other boat and 180 against. Which I think is a fairly reasonable estimation of how people would vote. But its pretty clear that not everyone is for the idea, and even when they do vote to do it no one wants to go through with it.
    Yeah, in that situation, I'd probably be the guy thinking, "I'd never blow up the other boat, but if these guys do then I'm not going to do everything I can to stop them."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I'd really like to see a whole issue done by Nguyen in that nifty watercolor/marker/whatever-the-hell style.

It looks so classy.

have you read the old wildcats 3.0 series? he does the art and it's styled kind of like that (not exactly, but close). it's also totally awesome.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It looks so classy.

I think there was an Incredible Hulk Book done like that too. I can't remember specifically what it was, and I could be completely wrong, but all I remeber is that kind of art style, and it being set in the way Future where The Hulk was the only person left on earth.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Dustin Nguyen is one of my favorite artists. I'm glad they got him on Detective Comics

At Emerald City Comic-Con, Jordyn asked him to sketch The Spirit and he said he didn't know who he was and had jordyn and framling describe him and then he drew him and he looks more like the Phantom Stranger, but he said he was kidding and he knows who The Spirit is

we don't know if he was kidding. :/

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    don't worry

soon the Frank Miller movie will tell everyone all about what The Spirit is about

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    god i have no idea what even happened in that trailer

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    there were chicks

and a dude with a tie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Chicks are 90% more likely to do you if you wear a mask.

As am I!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chicks are 90% more likely to do you if you wear a mask.

As am I!

That's not what the Woman's Self Defense class taught me!
    I was the guy in the padded suit.
    No, really.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mr. Pink
    Is that who I think it is in your avatar with the Joker vandalized face?

bychance on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, so I should or should NOT be wearing the mask?

This answer might explain the last few months.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    bychance wrote: »
    Mr. Pink
    Is that who I think it is in your avatar with the Joker vandalized face?

Is who you think it is Gandhi?

Also, TDK is still #1 on IMDB. Pretty cool stuff.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    I don't even know that the Dark Knight is the best movie this year, let alone of all time

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What would you think the best movie this year is?

(I agree it's not The Dark Knight)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't even know that the Dark Knight is the best movie this year, let alone of all time

Bear in mind that people will generally only rank movies they've seen.

That's why Juno rated higher than There Will Be Blood on online polls. More people saw Juno.

So really, Dark Knight is apparently the best movie of all the movies that most people have seen, which puts it up against things like Titanic and E.T. rather than anything you might find on a film critic's list.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know, I haven't seen anything this year that I think was better than TDK.

Except maybe Disaster Movie.

Mr Pink on