As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My imac hates me

BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a imac in 2005 and it was working great up until the power supply died. After I got that replaced I decided to run all the software updates since I was slacking in that department. So I updated my mac to version 10.4.11. Now I can't open any type of video unless it's in iTunes. Also when ever I play a sound my speakers start to screech really bad. What can I do to solve this problem? I don't have anything really backed up except my music and anime. Any help will be greatly apprciated.

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
BathTubb on

• Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally I'd back up your stuff and reformat with a Clean Install of your Tiger disk. If you want to spend a WORTH WHILE 129 bucks ( with 10% discount if you are a student) then pick up a copy of leopard.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I second picking up a copy of 10.5. All OS version updates for OS X have been great, but 10.5 is a really kick-ass update. Was Time Machine a part of 10.5? Just Time Machine is worth the cost of the update, in my opinion.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Was Time Machine a part of 10.5? Just Time Machine is worth the cost of the update, in my opinion.
    I believe it was, actually.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it is also why Leopard has that nice wormhole look to it

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    129 is a lot if you don't have the money but the sad truth is that it may be the best way to deal with it.
    The cheapest way will be to, as mentioned, backup and start over. You could stop the updates with 10.4.9 and be stable but who knows how long before Apple releases a quicktime or iTunes that requires 10.4.11. I know broadcaster requires 10.4.10
    You may be able to call them up and have them give you some tips about the video/audio. Is it no longer associating with the programs you used to open it or is it just refusing to open in them?

Leopard is a good OS. Time Machine isn't very good for me but Spaces pretty much keeps me sane. My understanding is that 10.6 is somewhere in the not-too-distant future so it is a matter of need, I guess.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well 10.4.11 would most likely work as is for him as long as he reformats, a clean install of 10.5 though would keep him from becoming obsolete

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well 10.4.11 would most likely work as is for him as long as he reformats, a clean install of 10.5 though would keep him from becoming obsolete

I agree with this. This is the point I was trying to make but yours is much more concise.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg