As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like "Smooth British Criminal" Jason Statham better than "Action Star" Jason Statham

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    he would be a perfect bullseye. i like statham, even though he makes some turrrible movies, but he wouldn't work as daredevil.

Angry on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I like "Smooth British Criminal" Jason Statham better than "Action Star" Jason Statham

I can't stand hearing him talk in anything but Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Whenever he's trying to hide his accent, he contorts his face like he's a mute. It's entirely distracting, and doesn't exactly result in natural sounding language.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

I can't stand hearing him talk in anything but Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Whenever he's trying to hide his accent, he contorts his face like he's a mute. It's entirely distracting, and doesn't exactly result in natural sounding language.

Yeah, it's the worst in "The One." Fully accented Statham is awesome tho.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Daredevil needs someone who can do action but also actually play a character. Also, "at the queen's buffet"? Yeah, people say that all the time here o_O

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    I think Daredevil needs someone who can do action but also actually play a character. Also, "at the queen's buffet"? Yeah, people say that all the time here o_O

I understand she has a lot of buffets. I mean, you're that rich, why wouldn't you?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess I'm one of the few people that think Ben Affleck did a fine job as Daredevil. I know making fun of him is the cool thing to do, but I really enjoyed the Director's cut. (Theatrical version blows ass)

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Matt Damon should have been cast as Daredevil, and Topher Grace as Peter Parker, but alas.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And Donna as Mary Jane...you know come to think of it I can see the Spider-man movies cast entirely by That 70s Show....and it's awesome. "These photos are crap, ya dumbass!"

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2008
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    And Donna as Mary Jane...you know come to think of it I can see the Spider-man movies cast entirely by That 70s Show....and it's awesome. "These photos are crap, ya dumbass!"

Hmmm that could really work...

Red as Jameson
    Kitty as Aunt May
    Kelso as Harry Osborne...

I smell a fan edit.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I guess I'm one of the few people that think Ben Affleck did a fine job as Daredevil. I know making fun of him is the cool thing to do, but I really enjoyed the Director's cut. (Theatrical version blows ass)

While I agree it's the cool thing to do to bash him for no reason, I have what I think are two legitimate gripes about him in that movie in particular:

1) His build sucked. If there's one thing Hollywood has shown us re: superhero movies, it's that an actor who wants to get ripped can do so without a doubt. All it takes is hiring a good trainer and nutritionist, and not being a jerk. Apparently, Ben Affleck either thought Daredevil didn't need to be in great shape (which is nonsensical) or he didn't want to bother doing what every other superhero actor does (Tobey Maguire, James Macavoy, Christian Bale...) and get in shape. As a result, while he's in fine normal-human shape (though his shoulders are freakish), he's implausible as doing the stunts Daredevil does.

2) He's just not that good an actor. He's funny in certain roles, e.g. Dogma, but that's about it. He shows almost no emotion other than pain, and while pathos is certainly important to Daredevil (and this interpretation certainly emphasized his physical pain as well), it's not his only characteristic. Affleck's Daredevil was flat and uninteresting because he brought no real range to it. Seeing him on screen, I hear his inner dialogue as a stream of silence. As a tremendously easy contrast, look at Macavoy in Wanted (or, more dramatically, in Last King of Scotland): you have a similarly aged actor who is able to communicate a much broader range of internal narrative. Obviously you're limited by your script, but Affleck didn't sell anything.

As a non-Affleck point: his outfit was silly-looking in real life (one of those "too close to the comic" situations) because they neither embraced the campiness (e.g. making it bright red) nor denied it sufficiently (e.g. ditching any red tones entirely). As a result, he was stuck in a middle-ground that made it even harder to emote or act effectively. By contrast: look at Spider-Man or Superman Returns (where they embraced the bright colors and cartoon imagery) or either Burton or Nolan's Batman movies (where they moved aggressively to the dark, grittier version of the outfit). Only by embracing an idea completely did they make it seem real.

Storytelling is lying, and if your media doesn't embrace the lie completely, it's revealed as a deception. The media must embrace it fully, so that the listener can embrace the lie and suspend disbelief.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought Affleck played a great Matt Murdock, but he made a terrible Daredevil. Honestly, the my favorite scenes in the Daredevil movie are the courtroom scenes from the directors cut that were not in the theatrical release.

Matt Damon would've made a better DD, but I think I would rather see Damon cast as Captain America.

I think Mark Wahlberg could play a good Murdock/Daredevil if they were gonna try to revive the franchise.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I thought Affleck played a great Matt Murdock, but he made a terrible Daredevil. Honestly, the my favorite scenes in the Daredevil movie are the courtroom scenes from the directors cut that were not in the theatrical release.

Matt Damon would've made a better DD, but I think I would rather see Damon cast as Captain America.

I think Mark Wahlberg could play a good Murdock/Daredevil if they were gonna try to revive the franchise.

Well yeah. Matt Damon can do anything.

fray on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i remember one of my bigger problems with the daredevil movie was the way dd murdered a dude in the first fifteen minutes.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Except, apparently, provide the voice of a violent character in a video game.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i remember one of my bigger problems with the daredevil movie was the way dd murdered a dude in the first fifteen minutes.

Plus the line he used was a real piece of shit.

"That's not a light at the end of the tunnel, it's a fucking TRAIN!

GET IT?!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But ya'll got to admit, Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

fray on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

he didn't do the voice of jason bourne in the video game because it was too violent. or, more tactfully put, because of "creative differences".

i think we can all see how this line of reasoning seems a little flawed.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

he didn't do the voice of jason bourne in the video game because it was too violent. or, more tactfully put, because of "creative differences".

To be fair, the creative difference may have been more "I see myself being paid $x million", and the publisher disagreed

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    To be honest, I think my favorite actors in the DD movie are Coolio and Favreau.

Such lines as "Wilson Fisk is in the hizzy" and "Can't hit anything with a handgun...now a shotgun? It's got a thing called birdshot that spreads out"

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

To be fair, the creative difference may have been more "I see myself being paid $x million", and the publisher disagreed

apparently not
    WSBT News asks, "The biggest mystery about Sierra's forthcoming 'The Bourne Conspiracy' game: Why doesn't Jason Bourne look anything like Matt Damon?" Apparently, the answer to that question has a lot to do with the actor's personal taste in video games. "I lobbied hard (with Sierra) to not make a first-person shooter game but to make it more like 'Myst,' which was a great, interesting puzzle you tried to solve—you know, to play with his amnesia or his memory," Damon said. "They weren't interested. They made the video game anyway, without my likeness."

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That seems more likely. Unless he's one of those people who think videogames are corrupting our children, which would be kind of disappointing.

edit: he wanted the game to be more like Myst? That's just... I don't even know what that is.

fray on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    he wanted it to be like myst!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't quite understand how it happened, but Damon apparently distinguishes between kids watching hyper-violence on the screen, and participating in it through video games. This is a relatively common view for our parents' generation, but rather atypical for someone his age.

If only he wasn't awesome...

mattharvest on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't quite understand how it happened, but Damon apparently distinguishes between kids watching hyper-violence on the screen, and participating in it through video games. This is a relatively common view for our parents' generation, but rather atypical for someone his age.

If only he wasn't awesome...

I saw an interview with him before Supremacy came out and he was talking about the violence in it. He said that his mom is extremely anti-violence in film and he is to some extent but he agreed to do the Bourne movies because is shows "the repercussions on the character that the violence has". Or something to that effect. Perhaps the game wouldn't have had the same repercussions.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've seen Matt Damon's Mother whore him out more than the hooker from Taxi Driver.

In Massachusetts we used to do this thing called Team Harmony, or some other crappy equality thing, and she totally kept bringing up her son (I know, being proud of him, and what not) and then there was a pre-taped interview with Matt Damon, His Mom, and Ben Afleck, I think, and you could just TELL they did not want to be seen as this square.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i guess i'm still not fully sure of exactly what you were doing around matt damon's mom

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    She runs this super cheesey group for Highschool students in Massachusetts, all about saying how we're all the same, and we're all just as special as one another.

Kind of like a bad episode of Mr. Rogers.

So there's this big conference that happens and she got her Famous son to lend her his credibility.

Which was fucking stupid because by saying we're all special and equal is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

We're not all special because only a few people I know where helmets when walking, and if we were all equal we'd be communists.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wonder Woman Animated Movie Trailer

Action looks good, but her face is really off.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    good lord her lips are huge!

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was super-excited for Superman Doomsday until they crapped all over the plot line and ditched all the "SuperMen" which would have been cool. So my excitement level for this is a little timid.

How was "Batman: Gotham Knight" and "Justice League: New Frontier" ?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I was super-excited for Superman Doomsday until they crapped all over the plot line and ditched all the "SuperMen" which would have been cool. So my excitement level for this is a little timid.

How was "Batman: Gotham Knight" and "Justice League: New Frontier" ?

I liked Superman: Doomsday apart from the lines on Superman's face, but then I thought the original storyline wasn't worth re-reading, much less adapting. Doomsday was just an ugly plot device, and none of the Supermen were really interesting until they stopped being replacement Supermen (though admittedly, I haven't read the whole storyline).

Gotham Knight was uneven, and I thought New Frontier was horrible from some cool moments that succeeded simply by putting something from the comic in motion.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't say New Frontier was horrible but it felt really uneven to me (didn't see Gotham Knight). I hadn't read the book until after I saw the movie and it just felt really rushed. Like they had some cool ideas and wanted to hit specific spots but didn't bother to put the story together for it.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I hear you with the lines on Superman's face thing.

though it was kind of cool that Jayne from Firefly was voicing him.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Everything they've done so far is "okay" or "good enough." I think Gotham Knight is probably the best so far, but even that had a couple of weak stories. It is certainly high quality stuff worthy of the project, but I don't think anything approaches the best episodes of the DCAU.

At least I like it better than Marvel's DVD projects.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked New Frontier. Doomsday was pretty good. Gotham Knight was kind of shoddy in retrospect. I'm hopeful for Wonder Woman, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I enjoyed New Frontier. It felt like a JLU multi-part episode (possibly because it had the same writers as JLU). It didn't cover every beat, but it had small references and hints towards most of the things it jumped over, and it was very friendly to people who haven't read the series as well.

Doomsday was just terrible, though. Death of Superman was my first real exposure to comics when I was a young one, and they took out every element that made it great. Worst of all, they set it in a pre-crisis world where there was a lot of general silliness on the part of most of the characters. Because of that, Pa Kent was long dead, and Superman had a helper robot at the fortress that served as a deus ex machina and was the movie's real singular plot device towards the end. Lex Luthor became the ultimate antagonist of the story, Pa Kent wasn't around to have his heart attack and pull Kal-El back with him from the afterlife, and no Justice League members were in the film, which cheapened the Doomsday fight as well as the funeral. They made it so Superman's death had almost zero impact on the world it took place in. They didn't even try to adapt any of the Supermen, instead filling their holes with two substitute characters that completely clash against the methodology of Post-Crisis Superman.

Gotham Knight was cool, but from the start I expected some of the shorts to be lacking, and my low-expectations led to me enjoying almost all of them

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the Wanted game actually looks kind of cool.

Kyougu on
This discussion has been closed.