As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conservapedia -- the more truthy wiki

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    What's the deal with that picture? Why are his hands folded and not on his heart? I personally am not offended and couldn't care less but I imagine there had to have been some clean up for that?

A lot of people don't put their hands over their hearts while singing the national anthem. Tradition is to stand, remove one's hat, and face the flag.

Doc on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I wonder how many people who criticize Obama's lapel or pledge position really understand what the proper and improper flag handling procedures actually include. Like wearing an American Flag shirt is traditionally not considered respectful.

Yar on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    What's the deal with that picture? Why are his hands folded and not on his heart? I personally am not offended and couldn't care less but I imagine there had to have been some clean up for that?

A lot of people don't put their hands over their hearts while singing the national anthem. Tradition is to stand, remove one's hat, and face the flag.

That's what I was taught by my military father, then I got to school and they expected us to put our hands over our heart and I was confused.

This was of course before I just refused to do it anymore and left the room for the pledge.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    pledge and national anthem are different things dude

nexuscrawler on
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »
    http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Lenski_dialog

This is the best page on the internet.

Fix'd.

I kinda want to post that entire exchange in here just so I can Gold it.

Agreed, that was a brilliant response.

On a semi-related side-note...has lime evolved into gold?

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doc wrote: »

That's what I was taught by my military father, then I got to school and they expected us to put our hands over our heart and I was confused.

This was of course before I just refused to do it anymore and left the room for the pledge.

The pledge is different from the anthem. Regardless it's a pretty moronic thing to get worked up over period.

moniker on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, whatever, Jingoism is Jingoism. State worship, etc, all things that'd piss off the founding fathers.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder how many people who criticize Obama's lapel or pledge position really understand what the proper and improper flag handling procedures actually include. Like wearing an American Flag shirt is traditionally not considered respectful.

I don't really care about Obama not putting his hand over his heart during the anthem or about anyone wearing a pin one way or the other. This is coming from a guy who has yelled at people for leaving a flag up at night in rainy weather, and got really pissed when a company was flying the American flag at half-mast and the Chinese flag above it.

Doc on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tennessee had a law against teaching human evolution, and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) wanted to overturn it. It enlisted the top criminal attorney of the day, Clarence Darrow, to serve as Scopes attorney. As crafty as the day is long, he arrived in Tennessee armed with his bag of tricks.

Oh Conservapedia.

edit: It's telling that whereas Wikipedia is multinational and multilingual, this travesty dresses up in the American Flag and focuses on our politics.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Things like this really scare me. Like...really really.

Edit: Really really really. Read the page on homosexuality.

Nice try, liberal, but you won't trick me! Everybody knows that if you read an article on homosexuality, there's a good chance you'll become homosexual yourself.

emnmnme on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The most depressing thing is how the vast majority of the pages read like they were written by a high-school sophomore.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The most hilarious thing is how the vast majority of the pages read like they were written by a high-school sophomore.

Sometimes I run out of things to read on my printed page The Onion so I go to this site. I get my chuckles the same.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i made a few edits to the richard nixon page.

wrecksr5.jpg

it got changed back in like thirty seconds.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the horse page:

Young Earth Creationist view of origins
    Creationary biologists believe that the horse baramin is one of the kinds taken by Noah aboard the Ark. Therefore all horse-like animals (including zebras and donkeys) are descended from the fourteen horses taken on board by Noah.[2]

So . . . they don't believe in evolution. But believe that zebras and donkeys evolved from Noah's horses.

LadyM on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The most depressing thing is how the vast majority of the pages read like they were written by a high-school sophomore.

They very well may have been:
    Conservapedia originated as a project for homeschooled, high-school-level students in New Jersey by Schlafly, a social studies and economics teacher for the Eagle Forum University educational program.

I saw a news piece about this site at one point that discussed its founding and Wikipedia confirmed.

Daenris on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    LadyM wrote: »
    From the horse page:

Creationary biologists believe that the horse baramin is one of the kinds taken by Noah aboard the Ark. Therefore all horse-like animals (including zebras and donkeys) are descended from the fourteen horses taken on board by Noah.[2]

So . . . they don't believe in evolution. But believe that zebras and donkeys evolved from Noah's horses.

Well, a zebra is just a horse with some funny colorin's, right? Like, I heard that God was spray-paintin' a picket fence and a horse was standing right behind it and he got all striped-like and God liked it that way, an' that's the honest truth.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's as if a giant pool was dug into the virtual earth, where you can vomit your ignorance, bigotry, and religious fundamentalism, and then bottle and sell it to others as facts who consume, and then vomit it back into giant pool as well.

I think I may have just described the interwebs in general - but maybe Conservapedia is just a locus.

3lwap0 on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the horse page:

Well, a zebra is just a horse with some funny colorin's, right? Like, I heard that God was spray-paintin' a picket fence and a horse was standing right behind it and he got all striped-like and God liked it that way, an' that's the honest truth.

I'm going to go with zebras and donkeys just being a result of those 14 horses' rampant inbreeding. Which is a concept I'm sure conservapedia readers are comfortable with.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i made a few edits to the richard nixon page.

[image snip]

it got changed back in like thirty seconds.

One time I added a sentence to the end of their page on Venus (the planet) saying that its hot and inhospitable surface conditions made it a likely candidate for the location of hell. It got deleted. But then, a few weeks later, the community reconsidered and put it back in.

It eventually got deleted again, but I still consider that a small victory.

darthmix on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They have a surprisingly through article on DnD.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited August 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    They have a surprisingly through article on DnD.

I see they chose these dingleberries as the poster children for their article, though.
    Dungeons_and_Dragons.jpg

Glad we could get that pentagram in there.

Edit: stupid image link... work! and err.. spoilered for sorta large

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm glad they actually have a reasonable article there. It is not all that surprising if you look at the History of D&D though, most of the origninal guys were Christians. Gygax was a Jehova's Witness for example.

Neaden on
  • interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Commandments

Even the guidelines are fun to read.

intercept on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    intercept wrote: »
    http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Commandments

Even the guidelines are fun to read.

There used to be some explicit rule on that page that everyone must use American spellings in preference to British ones at all times.

I wonder why it was removed?

Daedalus on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    True story: Mike Savage's real name is Michael WEINER. I am not making this up.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited August 2008
    I've always wanted to call the show and call him that, just to see if you get cut off and 7-second'ed.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    From the horse page:

I'm going to go with zebras and donkeys just being a result of those 14 horses' rampant inbreeding. Which is a concept I'm sure conservapedia readers are comfortable with.

Zebras are horses who have gone retarded.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited August 2008
    Truly their writing is of professional caliber.
    Cats are known as the definitive pet. Cleans itself, knows how to catch their food. Probably gave humans the idea for a "vaccum."

Can get annoyed if you stroke him/her too much. Cats can attack dogs, and cats are faster than dogs. Cats are the best hunters, no wonder, they have the best sense of smell, sight and hearing ever, and are really silent.

LadyM on
    edited August 2008
    Its like the realultimatepower.net guy wrote the cat article.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cats are known as the definitive pet. Cleans itself, knows how to catch their food. Probably gave humans the idea for a "vaccum."

Can get annoyed if you stroke him/her too much. Cats can attack dogs, and cats are faster than dogs. Cats are the best hunters, no wonder, they have the best sense of smell, sight and hearing ever, and are really silent.

I would go ahead and clean that up, but I would probably be accused of liberal bias.

Picardathon on
    edited August 2008

Any Conservapedia article that isn't on a politically charged subject will either:

a) not exist, regardless of importance
    b) get crazy fundie politics injected into it somehow, often to hilarious effect
    c) exist as an incredibly poorly-written stub that completely pales in comparison to whatever the Wikipedia article on the subject contains.

This, in my mind, is the true punchline to Conservapedia.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2008

My cat always used to totally flip out and kill everyone.

ElJeffe on
    edited August 2008

My cat always used to totally flip out and kill everyone.

Well that's because they're totally cool and sweet.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008

I would go ahead and clean that up, but I would probably be accused of liberal bias.

Man, it only gets better. Then he goes into a hypothetical chase scene:
    The dog is probably in the way, so the cat launches himself/herself off the fence, jumps onto the dog, and into the catflap. Mine does anyway. To scare them off, cats have very sharp 'fangs', and their claws beat all! Cats have special moves in attacks, not just the boring old scratching and biting.

And then a list of special moves like the deadly combo scratch.

Wow, I just noticed on their rules--erm, commandments--page that "the senseless changing of American to British spellings may result in blocking."

Damn you liberal Brits with your insiduous use of "honour" and "colour"! DAMN YOOOOOU!

LadyM on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The commandments article runs completely counter to the site's actual rules. The talk pages make it clear that if you're slandering a liberal, no source is needed, but if you're correcting unsourced information with valid sources, it will be reverted and banned unless it's more smeary.

Come on. The conservative movement does not need to resort to flat out lying and censoring information unless it has no valid and thought out platforms.

kildy on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    The commandments article runs completely counter to the site's actual rules. The talk pages make it clear that if you're slandering a liberal, no source is needed, but if you're correcting unsourced information with valid sources, it will be reverted and banned unless it's more smeary.

Come on. The conservative movement does not need to resort to flat out lying and censoring information unless it has no valid and thought out platforms.

The obvious conclusion being....

Senjutsu on
    edited August 2008
    kildy wrote: »

man, make no mistake: this guy represents "the conservative movement" about as much as Zack de la Rocha represents "the liberal movement"

Daedalus on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes but this breed of conservatism is what got GWB elected twice.

nexuscrawler on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Another problem often raised by atheists and theistic evolutionists is ‘how did disease germs survive the flood?’ This is a leading question—it presumes that germs were as specialized and infectious as they are now, so all the Ark’s inhabitants must have been infected with every disease on earth. But germs were probably more robust in the past, and have only fairly recently lost the ability to survive in different hosts or independently of a host. In fact, even now many germs can survive in insect vectors or corpses, or in the dried or frozen state, or be carried by a host without causing disease. Finally, loss of resistance to disease is consistent with the general degeneration of life since the Fall.6

Nerdgasmic on
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't read this page any more, from my brain hurting from trying to interpret blatantly false and dogmatic beliefs. I feel only pity for these people, because I cannot imagine someone thinking in such a way only if they were taught to do so.
    Trying to educate people with this mindset is a wasted effort, and our goal should primarily be to protect the youth of America from such blasphemy.

Kruite on
This discussion has been closed.