As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Supertrip 2008

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    trent wants in

At least for the trip TO Pax, do you guys come back on Sunday or Monday?

I live in Edmonton

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Most come back on Monday, I think. The trip back is up to the driver though, more or less.

tr0tsky on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    heh, my passport has arrived! Before my buttons, even.... which were ordered ten days before the passport.... :S

Theros on
  • AngrytofuAngrytofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We should have some sort of Canadian get together in Seattle~ and drink large amounts of beer~~

Angrytofu on
  • soultronsoultron Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Is anyone traveling from Ontario? I'm planning on taking the Greyhound to Seattle and need some buds to play DS with. My friends are terrible and won't come, so any new PAX friends are welcome.

soultron on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Theros wrote: »
    heh, my passport has arrived! Before my buttons, even.... which were ordered ten days before the passport.... :S

Our government did something in a timely fashion? Hot damn!

b0wser on
  • HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone heading down to Seattle from Vancouver but can't catch the 8:15? My friend and myself can't catch that early of one, so we're taking the 10:50am instead. Will get us there roughly 3:30pm

Hammy on
    edited August 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    trent wants in

At least for the trip TO Pax, do you guys come back on Sunday or Monday?

I live in Edmonton

Like tr0tsky said, that depends on each driver/group. Since Monday is a holiday up here, my group will be staying Sunday night and coming home Monday sometime. Would you be driving down, or would you be looking to find a ride with another group? I'd be stoked if there were some more people coming down from Edmonton!

soultron wrote: »
    Is anyone traveling from Ontario? I'm planning on taking the Greyhound to Seattle and need some buds to play DS with. My friends are terrible and won't come, so any new PAX friends are welcome.

I don't know if anyone from Ontario is going to Greyhound to Seattle, but there are some people from Ontario joining the Cross-Country Supertrip, since it's a lot closer and whatnot. The Canadian Supertrip unfortunately exists only within Western Canada so far, although we'd love to expand across the whole country in the future.

Hammy wrote: »
    Anyone heading down to Seattle from Vancouver but can't catch the 8:15? My friend and myself can't catch that early of one, so we're taking the 10:50am instead. Will get us there roughly 3:30pm

I don't think anyone was taking the 10:50, that's why the 8:15 was selected. What's stopping you from making it down for that bus instead of the later one? I can add you to the Others list for the bus rider info, but I'd promote the idea of making it down just a couple hours earlier. There's already five people on that bus, it would be great to see it grow some more!

b0wser on
    edited August 2008
    Can't make the 8:15 because I have to ferry over from Vancouver Island and then bus to the depot. If everything goes on time I might get there by 8:10 or so.

Hammy on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a rather odd request. One of my friends wants to go to Canada, get some Timbits, and yell at Canadians. I thought the idea was just crazy enough to be a fun adventure but we don't have a car. Anyone with a car want to make my friend's insane dream come true?

Alternately, I know they're just donut holes, but could someone possibly pick him up some Tim Horton's on the way in?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited August 2008
    Can't make the 8:15 because I have to ferry over from Vancouver Island and then bus to the depot. If everything goes on time I might get there by 8:10 or so.

well, depending on if it's possible for you or not...you and your friend could come over on the ferry on Wednesday night and crash at my place, as long as you don't break stuff :D Send me a PM if you want.

tr0tsky on
  • magiicmagiic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a rather odd request. One of my friends wants to go to Canada, get some Timbits, and yell at Canadians. I thought the idea was just crazy enough to be a fun adventure but we don't have a car. Anyone with a car want to make my friend's insane dream come true?

Alternately, I know they're just donut holes, but could someone possibly pick him up some Tim Horton's on the way in?

Please explain why he wants to yell at Canadians.

magiic on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    He's gotta yell at somethin'

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2008
    Im just curious to know if we wronged his friend in some way.

magiic on
  • HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who doesn't want to yell at Canadians? I mean seriously theres newsletters, and fan clubs, I think a whole country devoted to yelling at Canadians. They are evil and they must be stopped.

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    You people make me feel bad about flying from Edmonton.

Oh well.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »

well, depending on if it's possible for you or not...you and your friend could come over on the ferry on Wednesday night and crash at my place, as long as you don't break stuff :D Send me a PM if you want.
    That would be cool, but I will be working Wednesday 2pm-10pm, and I'm not gonna get another day off as I already have 8 booked off in August :( That's alright though, I'll just have to meet everybody when I'm down there :P and perhaps on some sort of returning Super Trip?

Hammy on
  • SupaNovaSupaNova Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hammy > If you guys decide to take a later bus, you can meet up with me at the Vancouver station. I'm going to be busing it from Vancouver Island, and the earliest bus that will take me from where I am to Vancouver is going to ARRIVE in Vancouver at 3:15PM. So, for anyone coming a little bit later on Thursday (Aug. 28), I'll probably be taking one of the buses listed on the Amtrak website that leaves Vancouver at around 5PM, and arrives in Seattle at around 8:30PM.

The other alternative is a train at 5:45PM, which won't get into Seattle until around 10:05PM, so I think that one's going to be out of the question.

Anybody that's up for this trip, send me a PM :) Or even post in this thread. For now, my default plan is:

Leave Courtenay, Vancouver Island, B.C. @ 9:40AM
    Leave Departure Bay ferry terminal @ 12:55PM
    Arrive Vancouver Pacific Central Station @ 3:15PM
    Leave Vancouver Pacific Central Station @ 5PM
    Arrive Seattle (SEA) Station @ 8:30PM

The Seattle station is where I'd be going separate ways, as I should have a ride to where I'm staying.

SupaNova on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Angrytofu wrote: »
    We should have some sort of Canadian get together in Seattle~ and drink large amounts of beer~~

Sounds like you need to get organizing.:winky:

Mustard Tiger on
    edited August 2008
    pub-crawl thursday night...but I'm up for some other time as well.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2008
    I'm taking Amtrak bus, Friday morning at like 8:30AM with like 5-6 other people I know going, think it will just be bomberman and mario kart DS whole way!

Angrytofu on
    edited August 2008
    magiic wrote: »

It's a long and complicated story involving my friend's love of Kevin Smith, paranoid xenophobia, his inability to deal with the loss of the Krispy Creme in our home town, and being rejected for a roll on Degrassi: The Next Generation because he isn't a Canadian citizen. When Kevin Smith appeared in several episodes of Degrassi it sent him over the edge. I knew something was wrong when he started ranting about how underapreciated Alanis Morisette's musical genious is and attempting to put milk in ziplock bags.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    Haterot wrote: »
    I think a whole country devoted to yelling at Canadians.

It's called Quebec, and it's not a country.

b0wser on
  • TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, they only _think_ they're a country!

Theros on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's a long and complicated story involving my friend's love of Kevin Smith, paranoid xenophobia, his inability to deal with the loss of the Krispy Creme in our home town, and being rejected for a roll on Degrassi: The Next Generation because he isn't a Canadian citizen. When Kevin Smith appeared in several episodes of Degrassi it sent him over the edge. I knew something was wrong when he started ranting about how underapreciated Alanis Morisette's musical genious is and attempting to put milk in ziplock bags.

I don't know what's worse.. this whole thing in general, or the fact that the part that made me laugh the most is the milk in ziploc bags thing.

EDIT: Count me in for the Canuck Beerathon.

Yuritau on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also re: my clipper itenarary, I'll be departing from Victoria at 11:30 AM August 29th with a buddy if anyone wants to join us! We're super cool.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
    edited August 2008
    Yuritau wrote: »

I don't know what's worse.. this whole thing in general, or the fact that the part that made me laugh the most is the milk in ziploc bags thing.

Lol, yeah, that story is pretty horrible. But the Tim Horton's request is serious, he'll probably eat it and go "meh" but if someone comes through we'll throw in some extra cash over the cost of the Timbits.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008

Lol, yeah, that story is pretty horrible. But the Tim Horton's request is serious, he'll probably eat it and go "meh" but if someone comes through we'll throw in some extra cash over the cost of the Timbits.

Timbits are mad cheap. It's like $4 for 60 of them

Also the bit about Quebec made me lol

magiic on
  • ducky_feetducky_feet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't suppose there's anyone here who's leaving from Vancouver super late on the Friday? I can't take any time off work so I have to catch the 6:55pm Greyhound bus, which means I won't be in Seattle until almost 11pm. Anyone able to keep me company?

ducky_feet on
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Timbits are mad cheap. It's like $4 for 60 of them

Also the bit about Quebec made me lol

Well... he didn't mention any Celine Dions/Shania Twains/Avril Lavignes so I can give him kudos for his Canadian rant.

I may be able to do the Timbits thing, as I am driving from Vancouver. But only Timbits. Donuts are in big boxes and I don't wanna drive with that.

And yes, I'd like to join the Canadian pub crawl too pls. :)

degreesplatinum on
    edited August 2008
    I'd be thankful degreesplatinum. I'll PM you contact details in the morning.

And the only thing that's unforgivable about Canadian music is Bob Rock. Every band he produces instantly sucks ass and I'll never forgive him for it. I wish I could hate him to death.

Transparent on
    edited August 2008
    copypasta from another thread, this was in regard to people driving down on Friday:

Even the US Border office says to use Pacific Crossing. I don't know what the Aldergrove/Langley crossing and Abbotsford crossings will be like yet, but the lines might even be worth driving down 0 Ave and using an alternative crossing instead of sitting in a lineup for a couple of hours. Best bet is to be super early though, yes. The lineups for the border will probably start all the way back at 8th Ave & Highway 99 *shudder* I will be contacting three US Border Crossing offices to find out how many lanes each will have open.

I'm also in the works of trying to consolidate another bus group, since there's so many bus people going down on Friday.

b0wser on
    edited August 2008
    I might also be considering having a "Canadian Consulate" party-gathering in my hotel room, I just haven't decided when yet. It will depend on the opinions of others in my room, but they're probably interested in drinking with some fellow compatriots. It wouldn't be anything crazy, but it would be fun. We might also just decided to change it to a pub/this awesome brewhouse & restaurant.

b0wser on
  • Nox_DracoriaNox_Dracoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    heh - I plan to avoid the coastal border crossing completely on the way down. Going from Kelowna straight south through Osoyoos > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nachtem/route.jpg is the google img of our route.

it will be a nice scenic day trip - adds a few hours to the total driving time down but we figure more chances to stop at places that look nice and stretch our legs - we plan to cram 5 people in a little toyota yaris >.>

Nox_Dracoria on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoah.. another Kelowniac. I was beginning to think I was the only one going to PAX, lol.

as for the border crossings.. meh, I don't much care how long it takes. Not like I have any plans for what to do in Seattle anyways, apart from do the Will Call thing and then wait for my hotel mates to show up at 11pm, lol.

Yuritau on
    edited August 2008
    I go where the beer goes

Angrytofu on
    edited August 2008
    heh - I plan to avoid the coastal border crossing completely on the way down. Going from Kelowna straight south through Osoyoos > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nachtem/route.jpg is the google img of our route.

it will be a nice scenic day trip - adds a few hours to the total driving time down but we figure more chances to stop at places that look nice and stretch our legs - we plan to cram 5 people in a little toyota yaris >.>

That goes entirely against the spirit of the Supertrip. I guess we can't recruit everyone!

b0wser on
  • tenchikazetenchikaze Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In regards to bus trips with Friday arrival, here's my schedule: I'll be leaving Calgary on the 1:15 PM bus on Thursday, and will be arriving in Vancouver at 5:15 AM on Friday morning. Bus from Vancouver to Seattle departs at 5:50 AM and arrives in Seattle at 10:10 AM.

I ended up choosing this route mainly so that I could have enough time after arrival to make use of early hotel check-in, get all my stuff into my room, and then still have plenty of time to pick up my badge at will-call before the con opens. Don't know how well that works for anyone else, as I don't know who would want to get on in Vancouver at 5:50 AM, but if anyone wants to come on that route with me, they're welcome to.

tenchikaze on
  • Nox_DracoriaNox_Dracoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    b0wser wrote: »

That goes entirely against the spirit of the Supertrip. I guess we can't recruit everyone!

It is unfortunate - however after 4 years of going to PAX taking the same route - we decided that we wanted to try something different

Nox_Dracoria on
    edited August 2008
    It is unfortunate - however after 4 years of going to PAX taking the same route - we decided that we wanted to try something different

When you've taken the Coquihalla a bunch of times, it just gets a little boring too. It's also a little depressing to look out across the pine forests, and see the real devastation that those damned pine beetles are creating. Lush green forests, covered in large swathes of brown dead tree.

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.