As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WALL*E, you fucks. (hyperbole. please do not infract. Seriously, though. How could you guys not even suggest WALL*E?)

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't even remember what came out this year that I liked apart from TDK, Wall-E, In Bruges, The Funny Games Remake, The Visitor (which I didn't see, but probably would have liked), Pricelsss, Cloverfield, and Iron Man. Everything else sucked just a bit.

And I'd be loathe to measure Wall-E against TDK, because where's the basis for comparison?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's why I don't really pay attention to movie 'rankings' anyway. It's all opinions, obviously.

I liked Wall-E and TDK. I just think TDK was more entertaining for me.

Mr Pink on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In Bruges was last year, wasn't it?

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2008
    I'd rate The Orphanage above DKR, but it came out a few days before 2008.

Anyway, I'm sure something better will come out this year. Amidst the summer blockbusters, though, I wouldn't hesitate to say DKR stands out as the best in most categories (with most categories not applying to Wall-E, conveniently) and possibly the best overall.

And In Bruges opened in January, apparently.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    Didn't all of last year's Oscar contenders come out after the summer?

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    most do

Winter is Oscar time.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, so I doubt we're overlooking some underappreciated masterpiece in all our fervor over Batmen and Jokers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Wall*E's probably the best I've seen this year. I think I have to put Dark Knight and Iron Man in a tie for number 2, though.

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2008
    Iron Man is nowhere near Dark Knight for me because Iron Man didn't offer a single thing I hadn't seen before. It was fun, and Robert Downey Junior was at his best in terms of sheer likability, but I don't feel sorry for anyone who missed it.

I say this as someone who doesn't place a premium on special effects, of course.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought Wall*E was entertaining enough, and pretty deep I guess, but I don't know when I'll ever be like "man I want to watch Wall*E again"

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    The movies I tend to rewatch aren't so much the best as they are the least likely to lose something on repeat viewings. I'm also less likely to watch a movie again if it's long.

Robos A Go Go on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just read this on the Sci-Fi Wire and went huh?
    Goyer, who wrote the script for Batman Begins with director Christopher Nolan, was referring to Ra's Al Ghul (Ken Watanabe) and Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy).

Intensely confused, I went to IMDB and sure enough, this is what it says there as well. Are they trying to avoid spoilers or something?

Quoth on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    david goyer is an idiot, has anyone mentioned that? I mean he is so stupid it is unbelievable. I'm so glad they dropped his awful, awful ass from TDK

Tube on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why's that, Tube?

Wildcat on
    edited August 2008
    two words

blade

trinity

Tube on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aaaaah. Thankfully I have managed to avoid that one.

Wildcat on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked Blade Trinity more than Blade 2, but both of them FAR less than the original Blade.

That said, Trinity had a lot of cringe inducing shit, including the 'combat with ipod blaring' product placement, the painfully bad 'inspirational speech' on the boat, and other such shenanigans.

It's not so much that Trintiy was a good movie, as it was that I really hated Blade 2, especially the fight sequence cinematography. The over exaggerated effects on some of the camera shots might've been comic book-esque, but they were also jarringly different from the first film, and not in a good way.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2008
    "she likes to use her ipod while she hunts vampires, to listen to the latest rad tunes"

seriously, then man also wrote nick fury agent of shield, a genuine contender for top ten worst films in history. he somehow managed to shit out a script that a genius like Nolan managed to make into a good film (which in retrospect wasn't that good really was it) and we're all supposed to pretend he's an acceptable human being worthy of god's great gift of life. he isn't he is terrible and should be ashamed and die alone in a windowless cell

he interviewed himself in the extras to blade trinity, as the writer interviewing the director, as though the film was something to be PROUD of.

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I liked Blade Trinity more than Blade 2

you are just fucking awful is what you are

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    you know apple didn't even pay for the ipod stuff. goyer just thought it was cool.

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I liked Blade Trinity more than Blade 2

you are just fucking awful is what you are

Other than Predator-Face Vampires and some really bad WWF moves for Blade, what did Blade 2 bring to the table?

Edit: to clarify: blade 2 and trinity are both shitty movies, but I found the latter slightly more entertaining, while still shitty.

The original Blade is the only one of the three that I'd call "good" by any stretch of the imagination.

Forar on
    edited August 2008
    literally no one thinks trinity is better than blade 2. nobody. you are impossible. you are a paradox and I refuse to believe you are real.

Tube on
    edited August 2008
    literally no one thinks trinity is better than blade 2. nobody. you are impossible. you are a paradox and I refuse to believe you are real.
    I did myself a favor and didn't see either.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2008
    Blade 2 was directed by Guillermo Del Toro.

Tube on
    edited August 2008

This would explain the tickets for dinner at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe showing up in my wallet.

Also, the woman quietly counting down probabilities in the background.

Forar on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    God, that fucking iPod thing. When I saw that I thought it was a joke or something. Yes, earbuds are the perfect thing to be wearing while fighting for your life. Why would you want to be able to hear someone behind you in that situation? Maybe the rad tunes will inform you that you're about to get your head lopped off, or you'll sense people outside your peripheral vision through the vibrations in your boobs.

KalTorak on
    edited August 2008
    I repeat that was not a tie in he just thought it was cool

Tube on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know what would have been cooler? If Jessica Biel's character decided she enjoyed fighting naked. Because it makes exactly as much sense.

KalTorak on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd have enjoyed that.

Delduwath on
    edited August 2008
    It certainly couldn't have hurt.

Forar on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    blade trinity, while largely a terrible movie, has one line that just cracks me up. it's when parker posey has blade in the jail and she's kind of taunting him. she says "I like your tattoos....do they mean anything? ...stupid."

I don't know why, her delivery of that is hilarious.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked Blade 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    While I like Ryan Reynolds, I hate that he introduced my college friends to the phrase "cock-juggling thundercunt."

KalTorak on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I liked Blade 2

the bloodpack is my favorite part of that movie.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blade 2, while largely shitty, had a nice Gothic athmosphere, and the main reaper guy was pretty cool. The best thing about Trinity was Ryan Reynolds, and when that's the case, you know a film's in trouble.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited August 2008
    it isn't even largely shitty! it's good! guillermo del toro people

Tube on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Blade 2, while largely shitty, had a nice Gothic athmosphere, and the main reaper guy was pretty cool. The best thing about Trinity was Ryan Reynolds, and when that's the case, you know a film's in trouble.

You cock-juggling thundercunt.

Mai-Kero on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »

Van Wilder and Definitely, Maybe are good movies, you shut the hell up.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does Blade 2 have the awesome fight-effects that Blade had? It's been a while, but I remember them doing something where whenever Blade hit a guy or cracked a wall or something it seemed like you could feel it. Like, the screen didn't shake, but almost.

Mai-Kero on