As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week! 08-06-08

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Graphic Violence
Pretty much all of Final Crisis. It was awesome.
But especially the Wonder Woman-Mary Marvel fight, the scene with the Japanese heroes, Anti-Life going live, and the last page. Too bad we have to wait so long for the next issue. And I wish my scanner wasn't broken. :(

Robin was also pretty great.

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still have no idea why they haven't made evil Mary Marvel a Supergirl villian.

Transporter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She'd have to stay evil for longer than 10 seconds first

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still have no idea why they haven't made evil Mary Marvel a Supergirl villian.

They just introduced a Nazi Supergirl, so she's already got evil counterparts coming out the wazoo.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They both have the "let's sexualize the kids as much as possible" thing going on.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Robin was my motw.
    The fact that Bruce knew something was going on and specifically instructed Spoiler not to allow Tim to interfere is a very, very interesting plot twist.

Final Crisis was OK, but the story seems really cliche to me so far. Band of Villains eliminates super heroes one by one in a bid for power. Yeah. Its been done before.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    She'd have to stay evil for longer than 10 seconds first

don't worry, that'll be covered in Countdown 2: Count Harder

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Final Crisis was OK, but the story seems really cliche to me so far. Band of Villains eliminates super heroes one by one in a bid for power. Yeah. Its been done before.

Are you sure you're not talking about Secret Invasion?

Because Final Crisis seems to have way more than that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As awesome as Final Crisis is, each issue is way too short.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well it's just me but I would like them to touch on the fact that Black Adam can pretty much rape Superman at any given point in time but dosen't for some reason.

And who dosen't enjoy bad characters beating the shit out of each other.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well it's just me but I would like them to touch on the fact that Black Adam can pretty much rape Superman at any given point in time but dosen't for some reason.

And who dosen't enjoy bad characters beating the shit out of each other.

Presumably it's because he just doesn't find Superman attractive in that way.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Are you sure you're not talking about Secret Invasion?

Because Final Crisis seems to have way more than that.

I'm not reading Secret Invasion, so I have no idea whether the story is cliche or not.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought FC #3 was terrible - the dialogue doesn't sound right to me. And seriously,
    email?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    someone spoil FC #3 for me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Me too.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    FC3 Spoiler:
    Alan Scott and Wonder Woman put a plan in motion to do a Super-hero draft. They draft a whole bunch of people because they think something bad is gonna happen, and with Superman at Lois' bedside and Batman missing and Hal Jordan under arrest, they are in serious need of help.

Then Wonder Woman goes in alone to Bludhaven and fights against a Mary Marvel whose costume looked like the Mutants from Dark Knight Returns. Then Wonder Woman gets poisoned and turns evil. Also, the badguys hacked the internet. All of it. And apparently that's bad. At least, Oracle seems to think so.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Characters don't sound like themselves. Young Super Team saves Mr. Miracle and Sunny Sumo in their flying BACK TO THE FUTURE car. Wonder Woman gets her ass kicked by a new Mary Marvel, who is now sporting a pink Hunter S Thompson haircut. Barry comes back and has an existential crisis with Wally, and the cliffhanger is that WW and some other superheroes have been turned into Dog Women that ride other dogs and hunt people. Oh, and the Human Flame gets an Anti Life stormtrooper helmet.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i haven't gotten it yet but...pink hunter thompson haircut? you mean she's balding?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i haven't gotten it yet but...pink hunter thompson haircut? you mean she's balding?

thats how you know she's evil

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Characters don't sound like themselves. Young Super Team saves Mr. Miracle and Sunny Sumo in their flying BACK TO THE FUTURE car. Wonder Woman gets her ass kicked by a new Mary Marvel, who is now sporting a pink Hunter S Thompson haircut. Barry comes back and has an existential crisis with Wally, and the cliffhanger is that WW and some other superheroes have been turned into Dog Women that ride other dogs and hunt people. Oh, and the Human Flame gets an Anti Life stormtrooper helmet.
    They ride dogs on Apokolips, so it's not as random as you make it sound.

And what characters sound wrong? I remember thinking Jay Garrick sounded off in the preview.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After seeing Mary Marvel with a shaved head and pink pigtails wearing a leather gimp mask, I'm once more glad I decided to sit Final Crisis out.

No great moments of the week for me; Manhunter was just okay, and the Brit TPB was awesome, but it was all stuff that came out months ago.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

FC #3 IMAGE SPOILER
    mmhstyk3.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All of the denizens of Apokolips dress like crazy people with illegal fetishes. Surely everyone expected bizarre costume choices from a storyline centered on them.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh my god

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All of the New Gods dress like crazy people with illegal fetishes. Surely everyone expected bizarre costume choices from a storyline centered on them.

Kanto's old costume is awesome, you shut your filthy mouth.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Welp, glad I'm not getting FC.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All of the New Gods dress like crazy people with illegal fetishes. Surely everyone expected bizarre costume choices from a storyline centered on them.

Kanto's old costume is awesome, you shut your filthy mouth.
    I don't know who that is.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    WE HAVE TO SHUT DOWN THE NET

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

FC #3 IMAGE SPOILER
    mmhstyk3.jpg

weeeelp, there you are then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    real FC3 spoilers:
    Barry, Wally and Jay fail to outrace the bullet that hits Orion. Jay returns to the present, where he informs Barry's wife that he's alive. Lois survived the bombing from FC2, but the only thing keeping her alive is Superman's heat vision or something. So he can't leave her side, so he's out of the picture. The Super Young Team saves Mr. Miracle and Sonny Sumo from some of Libra's minions, and they fly off. Frankenstein (from seven soldiers) and The Question discover Darkseid's old host's body, all mummified and shit from him possessing it before he switched to Turpin. They know Turpin is missing, and along with Father Time and whoever else is on their team, they probably have an idea of what's happening. Renee Montoya finds a mewling piece of charred meat that used to be some nazi supervillain take on Supergirl, I think. The old Legion of Doom swamp headquarters is fake-given to Mike the incompetent fire-themed supervillain by Libra, until he jams a helmet onto Mike's head that's piping the anti-life equation, which turns the dude into a zombie slave for Darkseid. Luthor busts in, and tells Libra that he's impressed he managed to take Superman out of the picture for two weeks or however long it's been since the daily planet bombing. Luthor's response to being impressed by a fellow super-villain is to try and kill them because he doesn't like unknowns or something. Libra responds by getting some guards all up ins and telling Luthor he has two choices: Become an anti-life zombie, or renounce science, and swear on the crime-bible to follow Darkseid. Some mysterious woman shows up and offers Superman the chance to save Lois, but he has to leave the planet right away to do so. Hal gets halled off to Oa. Alan Scott starts the super-hero draft, which draws a pretty impressive crowd. Talky Tawny is awesome. Wonder Woman goes into Bludhaven with some of the atomic knights, and encounters a bunch of corpses from DC's version of Madrox before running into new-style Mary Marvel: Evil Edition. She promptly punches one of the atomic knights in half and her and Wonder Woman fight. She reveals that Wonder Woman is going to be the disease carrier for some mind-control bullshit that Darkseid is spreading throughout the world, which is also spread through email or something apparently thanks to New God magic.

At the end, the story cuts back to Barry and Wally, who have ran a few weeks into the future. Things obviously got fucked up. The bleed is still visible in the sky, and a patrol of anti-life'd superheroes show up, including Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and two others I didn't recognize. Wonder Woman says "Superheroes. Kill."

It's pretty obvious why SI is trouncing Final Crisis in sales. I like it because, hey, Grant Morrison and it's weird, but it's waaaaaaaay too compressed, and the dialogue isn't as awesome as Bendis, or accurate to how the characters usually talk.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen I think.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Psh

Psh

Final Crisis was awesome

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Psh

Psh

Final Crisis was awesome

I don't know, that bit about shutting down the internet sounds kind of lame. Does it make sense in the context of the story.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    WE HAVE TO SHUT DOWN THE NET

I guess they get old Sandra Bullock movies across the pond.

IMAGE SPOILERS
    fc3p30zc7.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alert the troops?

Seriously?

Edit: plugs?

Ugh.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PULL THE PLUGS

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All of the denizens of Apokolips dress like crazy people with illegal fetishes. Surely everyone expected bizarre costume choices from a storyline centered on them.

Had it been pretty much any other character I could roll with it. It'd still feel kind of dumb seeing like, Starfire or Owlwoman in fetish scene gear, but it could be wiped away later pretty easily. But Mary Marvel's whole gimmick is that she's the personification of sweetness and light, and this feels like a betrayal of that fundamental characterization. It's like writing a story where Batman dresses in hot pink, only goes out during the day, and decides being a detective's lame, and he's just going to shoot bitches in the head. It feels like it's trying too hard basically.

But whatever, I'm not buying it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want to see the ridiculous last page.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeeeeeah, that's pretty retarded. "Kill the net" how, exactly.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Psh

Psh

Final Crisis was awesome

I don't know, that bit about shutting down the internet sounds kind of lame. Does it make sense in the context of the story.

I mean yes it was ridiculous, but they don't shut down the internet and then they all get fucked so

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I want to see the ridiculous last page.

IMAGE SPOILERS
    fc3p32os2.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg