As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Blade 2, while largely shitty, had a nice Gothic athmosphere, and the main reaper guy was pretty cool. The best thing about Trinity was Ryan Reynolds, and when that's the case, you know a film's in trouble.

Van Wilder and Definitely, Maybe are good movies, you shut the hell up.

Definitely, Maybe, in which Ryan Reynolds tells his pre-adolescent daughter about all the women he banged?

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Blade 2, while largely shitty, had a nice Gothic athmosphere, and the main reaper guy was pretty cool. The best thing about Trinity was Ryan Reynolds, and when that's the case, you know a film's in trouble.

Van Wilder and Definitely, Maybe are good movies, you shut the hell up.

van wilder is not a good movie. it has a charismatic lead actor and that is not the same thing.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For a certain genre of movies it is.

Delduwath on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Van Wilder: Party Liaison?

I think I can rest my case.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited August 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

Are you talking about comedies (Hell no!), or the sub-genre of sex comedies set in college?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    the sub-genre of sex comedies set in college?

i could maybe buy that, but it's still such a shitty genre in general that having one good-looking guy doesn't necessarily make up for all the lovingly-filmed scenes of people drinking dog cum.

now pcu, there's a ribald college comedy with some legs!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    look let's just all agree the best movie of 2008 was Rambo and move on

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2008
    look let's just all agree the best movie of 2008 was Rambo and move on

Your sarcasm has no place on the internet.

Robos A Go Go on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While Blade 2 was miles above Blade Trinity I must admit that I did enjoy parts of it. I'm a sucker for Bow action and regardless of the stupidity of fighting with music I thought the Bow stuff was cool. Which is why I liked the scene where they bust Blade out of the jail.

smokmnky on
    edited August 2008

Are you talking about comedies (Hell no!), or the sub-genre of sex comedies set in college?

I was hoping my statement was vague enough that I wouldn't have to provide evidence or explanation. Because that sort of thing seriously cramps my style.

Delduwath on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    look let's just all agree the best movie of 2008 was Disaster Movie and move on

I know what you really meant to say, TLB.

Mr Pink on
    edited August 2008

I was hoping my statement was vague enough that I wouldn't have to provide evidence or explanation. Because that sort of thing seriously cramps my style.

you shouldn't dance on the "too vague" side of the line if you don't want to provide explanation

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Yes, helping people understand what your thoughts are is truly the worst part of communication.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I rewatched PCU a few days ago - sadly, it does not hold up well.

And hey, I like shitty movies, what can I say.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can say, "I am sorry for liking shitty movies" but you would probably be lying. :P

Ryan Reynolds is hella hot, though.

Quoth on
    edited August 2008
    For me, I'd place both VAN WILDER and PCU over dreck like ANIMAL HOUSE or PORKIES.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    I don't watch those kinds of films at all.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    For me, I'd place both VAN WILDER and PCU over dreck like ANIMAL HOUSE or PORKIES.

animal house is not dreck and you're an objectively bad person for saying it is

edit- much less claiming that van wilder is better

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »

you shouldn't dance on the "too vague" side of the line if you don't want to provide explanation

I...wasn't trying to seriously participate in the discussion. I was implying that some movies revolve around "hey isn't Lead Character X played by Awesome Actor Y awesome", and that Van Wilder was one such movie. I certainly enjoyed it because I like the character Van Wilder as played by Ryan Reynolds. I didn't expect the movie to have impressive cinematography or editing, or a good storyline, or character development, or anything of the sort. I expected to watch the main character have zany adventures in college. He did, and that was good enough for me. I thought this meaning could be extracted from my vague comment, but I guess I was wrong.

Delduwath on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008

animal house is fantastic even though it led to horrible shit like van wilder

what in the christ is wrong with you

DJ Eebs on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    He liked VW more than animal house. Get over it, not everyone likes the same stuff.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always really liked American Pie 2 as kind of taking all the best that came before it and perfecting it in a way that is equal partys hilarity, and cheer, inducing.

ANTVGM64 on
  • JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I liked Blade Trinity more than Blade 2

I know the discussion has moved elsewhere but I just can't let this pass. I mean, did you not see the part where Dracula says there is no god? Dracula... mother fucking Dracula saying that there can't possibly be a god. That's like the the Easter Bunny walking up to you and saying Santa Clause being real is absurd.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
    edited August 2008
    He liked VW more than animal house. Get over it, not everyone likes the same stuff.

no, i don't think we will be getting over it here on the internet, thank you very much

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jengo wrote: »

I know the discussion has moved elsewhere but I just can't let this pass. I mean, did you not see the part where Dracula says there is no god? Dracula... mother fucking Dracula saying that there can't possibly be a god. That's like the the Easter Bunny walking up to you and saying Santa Clause being real is absurd.

What part of "they're both shitty movies, but I like Trinity better" is confusing? If you asked me if I'd rather be shot in X or Y, and I say "neither, but if I have to be shot, I'll pick X", is it really that contraversial? They both had a few moments, but I don't feel either recaptured what I loved about the first movie.

Blade 2's primary crimes were the fight sequences I mentioned earlier. While very comic book like in their filming of the fight sequences, it went from Blade 1's swift, smooth style, to "WWF RAW OMG CLOSEUPS AND SLOW MOTION RAAAAAAWR!". I hated the end fight with a passion, wasn't overly impressed with the 'love interest' sub plot nor her inevitable betrayal, and in general just didn't like the movie.

To be fair, I've seen Blade 2 exactly once, at the theatres.

I've seen Blade 3 one and a half times; once at the theatres, and idly had it on in the background one day when there wasn't anything else on.

I've seen the original Blade like a dozen times (in part and in full) over the years. It's the only Blade film I own the DVD of.

Feel free to draw your conclusions from that.

TL;DR: "opinions preferences lol"

Edit: aw man, Metacritic is kicking my ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_2
    Reception wrote:
    Blade II was the most successful of the Blade film trilogy, making $80 million in the United States and $150 million worldwide. Critically, however, the film was less successful, gaining a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. While it is a generally mixed score, it is the highest rated Blade film, surpassing Blade 's 55% and Trinity 's 27%. On a similar film critic website, Metacritic, the film has a 52, indicating "Mixed or Average Reviews." This again surpasses Blade 's 45 and Trinity 's 38.

Maybe I'll just have to sit down and watch Blade 2 again at some point... but I think I'll just ignore both of them and watch Blade 1 again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2008
    Maybe I'll just have to sit down and watch Blade 2 again at some point... but I think I'll just ignore both of them and watch Blade 1 again.

Now that's something I think we can all agree on.

Jengo on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

No, your logic doesn't follow.

In the Blade universe, there is certainly magic (e.g. La Magra) but on the other hand, the Vampirism strain is clearly a biological creature. All three of the movies dealt with Vampires as living creatures, not as supernatural spirits.

There is no contradiction between Draco denying the existence of God, and Draco's status as super-vampire.

mattharvest on
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's highly disturbing how much Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks like Heath Ledger. I don't even need a side by side to demonstrate this.

JosephGordonLevitt.jpg

joseph_gordon_levitt5.jpg

joseph_gordonlevitt.jpg

josephgl4.jpg

060313_JGLevitt_4p.widec.jpg

joeyandelmore.jpg

jglak4.jpg

bychance on
    edited August 2008

No, your logic doesn't follow.

In the Blade universe, there is certainly magic (e.g. La Magra) but on the other hand, the Vampirism strain is clearly a biological creature. All three of the movies dealt with Vampires as living creatures, not as supernatural spirits.

There is no contradiction between Draco denying the existence of God, and Draco's status as super-vampire.

I don't want to get bogged down on sending this thread any further off track so suffice to say I'm stretching things for comedic effect.

Jengo on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    Blade 2 was the best of the series. Watch it again.

Guillermo Del Toro

Tube on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blade 2's primary crimes were the fight sequences I mentioned earlier. While very comic book like in their filming of the fight sequences, it went from Blade 1's swift, smooth style, to "WWF RAW OMG CLOSEUPS AND SLOW MOTION RAAAAAAWR!". I hated the end fight with a passion, wasn't overly impressed with the 'love interest' sub plot nor her inevitable betrayal, and in general just didn't like the movie.

Ugh, really? The fight choreography of Blade 1 was pretty clumsy, insterspersed with some sweet gimmicks (silver garrote, tearing a dude's throat out and throwing it at someone, spinny throwy thing). Wesley Snipes trying to do martial arts was not pleasant - mostly the stuff toward the end when he's getting back to his sword (let's take turns trying to spin kick each other?).

Blade 2 cleaned up the choreography quite a bit. While still not perfect, it looked a whole lot better than 1, which was basically Snipes getting set up into a position where he could do some sort of bonebreaking move. I didn't quite appreciate the slightly sped-up fight scene in front of the UV lights, but the choreography itself on the whole was a lot smoother.

KalTorak on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Ugh, really? The fight choreography of Blade 1 was pretty clumsy, insterspersed with some sweet gimmicks (silver garrote, tearing a dude's throat out and throwing it at someone, spinny throwy thing). Wesley Snipes trying to do martial arts was not pleasant - mostly the stuff toward the end when he's getting back to his sword (let's take turns trying to spin kick each other?).

Blade 2 cleaned up the choreography quite a bit. While still not perfect, it looked a whole lot better than 1, which was basically Snipes getting set up into a position where he could do some sort of bonebreaking move. I didn't quite appreciate the slightly sped-up fight scene in front of the UV lights, but the choreography itself on the whole was a lot smoother.

Snipes is a jerk, but you know he's a highly trained martial artist, right? He's not just a movie-fu guy like Keanu; he has actual achievements in the field.

mattharvest on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Blade 2 had that annoying feeling common to a lot of mid-budget genre movies, where there aren't enough establishing shots or non-speaking parts so it all starts feeling a bit airless and stagebound. The fact that for some ridiculous reason they used CGI to show sunset over Prague (seriously? you can't just run a camera up the nearest clock tower?) added to the late-night TV-movie vibe.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i liked blade 2!

mostly i like the NOW I HAVE TO TEAM UP WITH MY GREATEST ENEMIES TO FIGHT AN EVEN MORE HORRIBLE ENEMY premise and the vampire team that worked with Blade was pretty cool.

Blade Trinity was mindwrenchingly awful.

I thought Blade 1 had the best big villain, though.

Rans on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

I hope you get super AIDS
    Animal House is a classic you sumbitch

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    I'd place them both over Caddyshack, even.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey you guys know what was a good movie?

The Dark Knight.

I liked that one.

Mr Pink on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    HOW THE HELL DO YOU NOT LIKE CADDYSHACK
    HOW
    I JUST
    WHAT
    CAPS

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    It's easy - Chevy Chase sucks. Rodney Dangerfield, meh. There are better 80s movies.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Hey you guys know what was a good movie?

The Dark Knight.

I liked that one.

I still need to catch it on Imax. I've been kinda putting it off for now, but it's probably better to see it soon rather than risk them replacing it with something else.

I mean, sure, it'll be there for ages because movie theatres like money as much as anyone else, and shows are still selling out, but with my luck I'll decide to finally catch it and it'll have been replaced with something stupid the day before.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!