As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week! 08-06-08

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So a bunch of people discussing and ridiculing comics they haven't read then talk about how hard they're totally not going to get it?

Huh. I keep looking at my url but I'm not seeing "scans_daily" for some reason.

Furu on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    They're making fun of like 4 panels, breathe
    In other news
    I finally got ASM Extra and holy shit the Hammerhead story

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    So a bunch of people discussing and ridiculing comics they haven't read then talk about how hard they're totally not going to get it?

Huh. I keep looking at my url but I'm not seeing "scans_daily" for some reason.

man if you dont think PULL THE PLUGS is ridicule worthy I'm not sure what else to say to you.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I'll actually read the comic before loling over the contents.

The costumes don't bother me because, well, it's completely consistent with all the other Apokolips stuff.

Furu on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hahahahahaha

final crisis #3

hahahahahahahahaha

i love it because it is so ridiculous

this isn't the same morrison that wrote the JLA that we all love so much?

i don't even know what he's doing. should i feel insulted and outraged? i don't know. i think it's hysterical.

Rans on
    edited August 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    I think I'll actually read the comic before loling over the contents.

The costumes don't bother me because, well, it's completely consistent with all the other Apokolips stuff.

people who have read this issue in this very thread are saying the exact same things about that page. There is no extra context that makes it any less ridiculous. I'm not even saying it's a bad thing - I'm not reading the comic, I have no idea.

But that page made me laugh really hard.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you think people with multiple email addresses get turned extra evil?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    hahahahahaha

final crisis #3

hahahahahahahahaha

i don't even know what he's doing. should i feel insulted and outraged? i don't know. i think it's hysterical.

How so - what strikes you as different? It actually feels to me like what JLA would have been like if I could tell Howard Porter's faces apart.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    Pulling the plugs is straight up ridiculous
    It's like that one PA strip
    God where's pennypacker when I need it
    It's the one with "they're hacking our webs" "Which ones" "ALL OF THEM!"

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    Hey now
    She's not handicapped
    She's handicapable

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    She could have been talking about the plugs to her own computer. She would have done it herself but, you know, handicapped.

she has all the nets in her computer

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I meant that it'd at least protect her and Michael, assuming of course that the thing can't spread from person to person after moving from computer to person.

But I haven't read the story, so I don't even know how it works.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    At least now we know where it's stored

Me Too! on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Oracle had a Mother Box attached to her computer at one point. I don't think shutting down the internets would be that challenging a prospect for her.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    I dont think thats how the internet works dude

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »
    hahahahahaha

final crisis #3

hahahahahahahahaha

How so - what strikes you as different? It actually feels to me like what JLA would have been like if I could tell Howard Porter's faces apart.

i don't know. i loved his jla. but this seems much less focused? this story is basically Rock of Ages all over again only some of the details have been tweaked. i don't really care because i liked Rock of Ages. I hope Green Arrow and the Atom kill Darkseid again!

Rans on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Green Arrow best do something awesome

deadonthestreet on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

It is however how the Mother Box works.

Thing is a technological "do whatever the fuck" card.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited August 2008

do you say that when the cosmic cube does something crazy?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    I would accept a mother box teleporting the entirety of Gotham City onto earth 68

but using it to "shut down the internet" would still be stupid.

And if someone used the cosmic cube to "shut down the internet" it would still be stupid yes.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    When, by the way, did it become a "Mother Boxxx"?

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2008
    When, by the way, did it become a "Mother Boxxx"?

The Mister Miracle mini; it's a riff on Outkast's album "Speakerboxx".

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited August 2008
    Kosmic Kube

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I would accept a mother box teleporting the entirety of Gotham City onto earth 68

but using it to "shut down the internet" would still be stupid.

And if someone used the cosmic cube to "shut down the internet" it would still be stupid yes.

God I hope this is a fake post.

Fiaryn on
    edited August 2008
    Kosmic Kube

The Zenn-La Klan

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this a trick question? No, of course it wouldn't. Why would, say, the Mad Hatter controlling Batman reflect badly on Batman? Villains mindcontrolling heroes into doing bad things has been a staple of comics for like forty years, so no, it doesn't bother me.

So you're holding FC responsible for something that some unknown DC writer might do in the future?

Really? Maybe I'm just a stickler, but I think there's a difference between Batman having a card slipped behind his ear and going out to rob a bank/beat up some dudes, and going out in bondage gear murdering a bunch of people. One would cast a pall over his stories for the foreseeable future, while the other's relatively easy to move on from.

To your second question, yeah, kind of. It's a pitfall of serial fiction taking place in a shared universe. If Morrison breaks all the toys in the toybox and then walks away, any story that deals with the fucked up, broken remnants he left behind are a direct result of his decisions as a writer. If Brian Bendis tells a story that reveals Tony Stark liked to get drunk and diddle schoolchildren, any subsequent story dealing with Iron Man: Superpederast is on his head.

Munch on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Dude, that's probably because she's being possessed by an evil god. How is that possibly a "betrayal" of that characterization? It's not her!

If Batman murdered someone while under mind control, wearing only a ballgag, his Bat-mask, and a cocksock, would that bother you?

Mind control or not, the character has blood on its figurative hands, which will no doubt act as an albatross for them in the coming months, heaping a bunch of angst and bullshit on top of the characterization I enjoyed. Lately DC likes to have their characters as tormented and tortured as possible to add gravitas and pathos to their stories; even if Mary Marvel's current characterization is undone, and she's not killed off before the end of the event, I foresee a lot of handwringing and, "Oh God what have I doooooonnneee?" in her future.

I thought they were just trying to make a bunch of their own DC versions of Peter Parker, full of bad luck and angst and rarely getting moments of happiness, etc.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    munch you have the best ideas for new story directions

i'm not convinced that RIP won't end with Batman in bondage gear, either

Rans on
    edited August 2008
    Batman's battered corpse is found
    Assless chaps, cock sock, and gimp mask with bat ears
    Dick looks at it and sadly says "Guess he forgot the safeword"

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    You know, even though the plot of Final Crisis kind of bugs me, I'd have loved to hear Grant Morrison pitch it.

what eff mahry mahrvel was ehvel und werr bontach geer und hahd paynk hayr?

Munch on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The best part of Final Crisis so far is Alan Scott doing something besides standing in the background of JSA shots.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited August 2008
    He made a suggestion. I mean, that's not a whole lot of doing.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2008
    At this rate I see one of two outcomes being possible:

Final Crisis and Batman RIP will be terribad altogether and completely ruin our formerly adoring view of Morrison, or he is somehow going to turn this around to not be retarded. Possibly using witch craft.

Please surprise me. Pleeeaaaase

Fiaryn on
    edited August 2008
    It's certainly possible. I thought the first issue of Seven Soldiers sucked and dropped it immediately, but later purchased all four TPBs and loved it. If FC ends and all my fears are allayed, I'll happily snatch up the hardcover.

Munch on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    even if both of these events are total flops (and i highly doubt either of them will be), it would not completely ruin my view of morrison. i mean, i've certainly read stuff of his that i wasn't that nuts about, but even so, this would still be the guy who wrote the invisibles, we3, seaguy, doom patrol, all-star superman, seven soldiers, jla, animal man, and new x-men. those are like nine of my favorite things ever. sometimes people i like and respect fuck up, and that's just life.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After reading today's FC and being disappointed by it, I started thinking that maybe it would have been better if they had just released all of FC as one single trade-sized thing, all at once. Everyone seems to agree that Morrison's stories make sense when you sit down and read the whole thing. Thus far, only the first issue of FC made me think "Wow, I want to read the next issue and see what happens!". Everything else feels like Silver Age continuity fanwank (I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but it's not for me). But maybe once FC is out in its entirety, I'll go back - if I still care enough to - and read the whole thing in one sitting and have my whole fucking mind blown up and down the corridor.

At NYCC, Morrison got me super pumped about FC by talking about it so excitedly, about how it's this tremendous epic story and how evil finally wins. So far, I have not seen even a single hint of that. (Meaning, I've seen evil winning by possessing everyone and by unleashing the Anti-Life Equation and stuff, but I haven't felt like I was watching true evil; I felt like I was watching Silver Age zaniness. Rather than sitting on the edge of my seat and feeling like everything's at stake, I've felt like I've been dragging my feet through molasses.)

Delduwath on
    edited August 2008
    i completely disagree that the event feels like "silver age zaniness". i'd be hard-pressed to pin down even a single thing in the series i'd describe in any way as "zany". turpin beating mad hatter senseless with a toilet lid? batman as a drooling lobotomy patient? john stewart crucified by granny goodness?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just finished reading Invincible Iron Man #4.
    Pepper Potts can flyyyyyyyyy!
    Also, the chess game between Reed Richards and Tony Stark was pretty cool.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2008
    also- moment of the week is the frenchman with hulk's ballsack in his hand.

it looks like a hairy green grocery bag with two basketballs in it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    God Final Crisis just gets worse. What the FUCK is going on? Where is the rest of this goddamn story that explains it all?

And for gods sake why wouldn't they stick with Mary's FIRST evil costume.

http://blogs.the217.com/capes/files/2008/05/evil-mary-marvel-countdown.jpg

Seriously... it was PERFECT.

Authority #1 (yes, its rebooted again) had a really sad and touching moment between Midnighter and Apollo that I really liked.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.