As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valve is "open" to the idea of being bought out...

Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54037
Independent developer Valve is "happy to have that conversation" should the company be approached with a buyout offer, marketing VP Doug Lombardi has revealed.

That said, he noted that the independent studio behind Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, Portal and the Steam digital distribution platform is "doing pretty well" and is "really happy with what we're doing."

Lombardi also heaped praise on publishing partner EA, describing the relationship between EA and Valve as "really good," with Valve yet to see the fabled EA "boogeyman." id Software president John Carmack had previously said that Valve's positive experience with EA was a key factor in its decision to let EA publish id's Rage (PC, PS3, 360, Mac).

"We set up the deal so that it turned out that if EA was this evil empire, that it wasn't going to last forever," Lombardi explained to Gamasutra. "But it's turned out that all those scary stories--maybe some of them were true, and maybe some of them are history; I don't know--haven't appeared to us. We haven't seen the boogeyman."

"EA was very progressive about saying, 'We understand who you guys are. We understand what Steam is. We don't want Steam to go away,'" he continued. "Well, they might want Steam to go away, but they're not asking us to make Steam go away."

If Steam goes to the shitter because EA decides to buy Valve, I'm going to murder someone.

Desert_Eagle25 on

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Steam goes to the shitter because EA decides to buy Valve, I'm going to murder someone.

So that guy with the EA hate thread was right!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Compare EA's online distribution service to Valve's. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

EDIT: And it's not so much EA as it is Valve being one of the last few, big independent developers. It'd be heart wrenching to see them sell out to any body, even EA with it's pretty good track record with the new CEO.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My only concerns with Valve are whether or not Episode 3 is a satisfying conclusion to the Half Life 2 story arc, and whether or not my computer will be able to run it.

Valve makes good games. EA buying them will not change this.

Darlan on
    edited August 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    My only concern with Valve is whether or not Episode 3 is a satisfying conclusion to the Half Life 2 story arc, and whether or not my computer will be able to run it.

It's not the games i'm worried about, hell, EA is pushing out some pretty damn high quality stuff themselves. I just dont want to logon one day to find out that Steam has merged with EA's online distribution manager and I suddenly have to pay $5 to keep my current games.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Compare EA's online distribution service to Valve's. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

EDIT: And it's not so much EA as it is Valve being one of the last few, big independent developers. It'd be heart wrenching to see them sell out to any body, even EA with it's pretty good track record with the new CEO.

On the other hand, this could mean that EA wants to buy Valve so that it can throw its current distribution service in the garbage where it belongs and instead use Steam, which their stockholders would never let them get away with currently. I could definitely see that.

Daedalus on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Valve was bought out, do you think Gabe could pull his 2 year delay shit? I mean, say what you will but that stuff gets delayed for good reason and every company that forces a release ends up releasing garbage. That's all I'm saying.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My only concern with Valve is whether or not Episode 3 is a satisfying conclusion to the Half Life 2 story arc, and whether or not my computer will be able to run it.

When the fuck is Episode Three even coming out

God damn it I want to know what happens

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Just tell yourself 2015 and you (probably) won't be disappointed. It's undoubtedly way, way, way, way, way out.

Darlan on
    edited August 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Anyone remember HL1? They getting ready to distribute the game when they suddenly go "yea, this isn't what we wanted at all. fuck that we're re-doing this."

And now we all have HL2 <3

Daedalus wrote: »

On the other hand, this could mean that EA wants to buy Valve so that it can throw its current distribution service in the garbage where it belongs and instead use Steam, which their stockholders would never let them get away with currently. I could definitely see that.

If thats the case, and they keep the guys at Valve running Steam the way they want it, then i'll be fine with whatever goes down. I dunno if trading off other publisher's games that are on Steam for EA's would be worth it though.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Didn't EA announce at e3 that they're coming out with a new Steam-ish digital distribution system or was that something completely different and I'm slow in the head?

Food on
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    valve saying that they are happy to discuss the possibility of being bought out is NOT the same as them saying anyone with the right amount of money can buy them out. the asking price to buy them out would be monumental, and remember that when valve announced that ea would be their distributor, in response to this very same question lombardi answered "yes, we have looked into the possibility of buying out ea." valve isn't looking for someone to buy them. this is not some end of the world situation.

doublehawk00 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Company states they are willing to listen to offers from others about being bought. This and other stories on your news at 11...

I imagine the original interview was about Valve's decision to join with EA to publish a game. Naturally talk turns to how EA has a habit of buying out companies they work with. Highly placed mucky-muck states they are willing to entertain any offers. Sounds like SOP for businesses worldwide.

Buyouts don't magically happen just because somebody backs a truck that is full of fat sacks of cash up to the building. I doubt Valve is going anywhere anytime soon.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think (hope) EA has learned from the error of its ways. It looks like they have at least. I mean, Maxis was in the tank just about when they were bought out.. And yes, I understand no one here really likes the Sims 2 Livin La Vida Loca frat house party pack for pets, but apparently a whole hell of a lot of people do. I doubt they would churn one out every six months if it didn't sell.

Spacehog85 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Not that they're that attractive to take on, being as you'd have to buy both them and all the contracts they have relating to Steam.

Their relationship with EA is pretty good. EA is good at physical/retail distrobution - it's the reason MTV went with them for Rock Band - while they are good at the whole digital thing.

I mean, I'm suprised people didn't make a bigger deal about id no longer being published by Activision. Something must have pissed them off real bad to switch publishers like that.

FyreWulff on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Company states they are willing to listen to offers from others about being bought. This and other stories on your news at 11...

I imagine the original interview was about Valve's decision to join with EA to publish a game. Naturally talk turns to how EA has a habit of buying out companies they work with. Highly placed mucky-muck states they are willing to entertain any offers. Sounds like SOP for businesses worldwide.

Buyouts don't magically happen just because somebody backs a truck that is full of fat sacks of cash up to the building. I doubt Valve is going anywhere anytime soon.

If I am ever in the position to buy out a company I will most certainly do it with a truck full of cash-sacks. I shall be perched atop them, top hatted and bemonocled, flourishing a gloriously white walrus mustache.

BlueDestiny on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    valve saying that they are happy to discuss the possibility of being bought out is NOT the same as them saying anyone with the right amount of money can buy them out. the asking price to buy them out would be monumental, and remember that when valve announced that ea would be their distributor, in response to this very same question lombardi answered "yes, we have looked into the possibility of buying out ea." valve isn't looking for someone to buy them. this is not some end of the world situation.
    Yeah I think the list of Valves demands would be just incredible.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My only concerns with Valve are whether or not Episode 3 is a satisfying conclusion to the Half Life 2 story arc, and whether or not my computer will be able to run it.

Hi5 for it being guaranteed to work on the 360!

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

Hi5 for it being guaranteed to work on the 360!

Now if only Valve would implement a godforsaken Legacy control scheme..

FyreWulff on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really hope this doesn't happen.

First, because Valve is amazing, profitable, and everyone loves them. They don't really need to be bought out.

Secondly, because, while EA isn't being evil now, that might not always be true. I don't want all major video games to be made and published by like four or five mega-companies. Diversity is only a good thing, as indie games have shown with increasing frequency.

Thirdly, there are rumors of a Linux port of the source engine ("Postal 3 will have a Linux version!"), and those sorts of things seem like they have an unfortunate increased tendency to die with company acquisitions and whatnot.

Frem on
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    I really hope this doesn't happen.

First, because Valve is amazing, profitable, and everyone loves them. They don't really need to be bought out.

Secondly, because, while EA isn't being evil now, that might not always be true. I don't want all major video games to be made and published by like four or five mega-companies. Diversity is only a good thing, as indie games have shown with increasing frequency.

Thirdly, there are rumors of a Linux port of the source engine ("Postal 3 will have a Linux version!"), and those sorts of things seem like they have an unfortunate increased tendency to die with company acquisitions and whatnot.

and good luck with the linux port. if it's only being promoted for postal 3 then it's probably something those guys are working on, not valve.

doublehawk00 on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate steam... so very annoying and just a pain. "Look, I just want to buy these three games, and play them, not sign up for a mandatory online game distribution center nor do I want all these DRMs spy sapping mah data."

Lucky Cynic on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It would be nice to have EA's games on Steam

Ohtsam on
    edited August 2008
    I hate steam... so very annoying and just a pain. "Look, I just want to buy these three games, and play them, not sign up for a mandatory online game distribution center nor do I want all these DRMs spy sapping mah data."

Than buy the games and switch steam into offline mode

Ohtsam on
    edited August 2008

What? Steam is probably the easiest to use online distributor available. It's ridiculously easy. I bought Prey for $4.99 in like 10 seconds (literally) and downloaded it in about 3 hours. Then I started playing it.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DO NOT WANT DO NOT WANT DO NOT WANT DO NOT WANT

I really hope this doesn't happen. No matter how unlikely it is, we can still not want it to happen.

Yougottawanna on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, EA has at least been pretending to improve this past year. Seems like they no longer just swallow up small companies and shut them down. Dead Space looks to be a solid game.

Hopefully, if Valve did agree to being purchased by EA, they wouldn't hand over too much control.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2008
    Well, EA has at least been pretending to improve this past year. Seems like they no longer just swallow up small companies and shut them down. Dead Space looks to be a solid game.

Hopefully, if Valve did agree to being purchased by EA, they wouldn't hand over too much control.

Honestly considering the size of the companies I wouldn't be surprised if it was a merger

Ohtsam on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »

I've heard that only works for a while, and it need to go back into online mode eventually.

If it was *just* the DRM'd distribution center thingie, I'd agree that it was annoying, but the community features and the very nice support for modding (not to mention the amazing games distributed through steam in the first place), make up for it in my book.

Plus, it's decent DRM. I mean, not some crappy "only 3 installs" type of deal, and you can login and start playing without disks at any machine that has steam installed.

Frem on
    edited August 2008

Honestly considering the size of the companies I wouldn't be surprised if it was a merger

That too. After Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and its episodes, Team Fortress, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike and Counter Strike: Source, I severely doubt Valve is small enough to get "swept away" as it were.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just some quick figures: Valve makes about 70 million per year, in revenue. EA makes 4 billion. Valve employs 150 people, EA employs 8000. So, yeah, I'm not sure why you guys think they're on the same level. Valve is awesome, but small fry compared to EA. A merger would be an amazing anomaly. The best to hope for would be that EA wouldn't shut down Steam, and wouldn't rape Valve's development staff and IP too badly.

A buyout would be horrible. Evil only sleeps for so long. :P

gilrain on
    edited August 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    Just some quick figures: Valve makes about 70 million per year, in revenue. EA makes 4 billion. So, yeah, I'm not sure why you guys think they're on the same level. Valve is awesome, but small fry compared to EA.
    Moneywise yes they aren't as big but Valve holds so much sway in the gaming world.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited August 2008
    Just some quick figures: Valve makes about 70 million per year, in revenue. EA makes 4 billion. So, yeah, I'm not sure why you guys think they're on the same level. Valve is awesome, but small fry compared to EA.
    Moneywise yes they aren't as big but Valve holds so much sway in the gaming world.
    What is "sway" if not money? That gamers just like them a lot? We also liked Westwood, Looking Glass, and the others, and that didn't stop EA. Money rules. You think EA will be, like, "We could buy you out, but, since everyone thinks you're cool, we'll go ahead and merge instead."

gilrain on
    edited August 2008
    Just some quick figures: Valve makes about 70 million per year, in revenue. EA makes 4 billion. Valve employs 150 people, EA employs 8000. So, yeah, I'm not sure why you guys think they're on the same level. Valve is awesome, but small fry compared to EA. A merger would be an amazing anomaly. The best to hope for would be that EA wouldn't shut down Steam, and wouldn't rape Valve's development staff and IP too badly.

Because Valve makes enough revenue per year that they don't need to stretch their arms out towards big old EA and shout, "Save us, EA! We need your money!"

Westwood and Looking Glass Studios were tiny companies. They didn't stand a chance. Valve won't be bought with a large check just because it's large.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think something more in line of Activision Blizzard would happen.

SkyGheNe on
    edited August 2008
    What is "sway" if not money? That gamers just like them a lot? We also liked Westwood, Looking Glass, and the others, and that didn't stop EA. Money rules. You think EA will be, like, "We could buy you out, but, since everyone thinks you're cool, we'll go ahead and merge instead."
    Uhh how about the fact that Valve was the only reason Id went with EA to publish stuff? It has nothing to do with fans liking them.

Valve has the sway to say "Do what we want or we take our ball elsewhere." and get away with it.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I think something more in line of Activision Blizzard would happen.

The difference is that Blizzard had a ridiculously large guaranteed revenue stream. (and vivendi technically absorbed activision, they just used all of activisions execs instead)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008

I've heard that only works for a while, and it need to go back into online mode eventually.

If it was *just* the DRM'd distribution center thingie, I'd agree that it was annoying, but the community features and the very nice support for modding (not to mention the amazing games distributed through steam in the first place), make up for it in my book.

Plus, it's decent DRM. I mean, not some crappy "only 3 installs" type of deal, and you can login and start playing without disks at any machine that has steam installed.

Still, I am very adamant about it. I dislike the fucking idea that I must install something unrelated to my game. I go out, buy a disc, put it into my DvD drive, and then play the content on the disc which I bought with my disposable income from a legitimate job. But no, I must verify the content, sign up so that they have my personal information, and have extra software on my harddrive.

It's not that I don't mind giving .01% of my harddrive space, it's not that I am only mildly annoyed to have to right click and shut down steam from the icon tray, but it's the idea. Look it's great, digital distribution, but god damn, please do not cram it down my throat. I gave you my money, and don't want your extra software nor do I HAVE to give you my personal information. Period.

If I buy an iPod, it doesn't automatically install iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari last time I checked, nor did it ask for my name, number, and address.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited August 2008

Because Valve makes enough revenue per year that they don't need to stretch their arms out towards big old EA and shout, "Save us, EA! We need your money!"

Westwood and Looking Glass Studios were tiny companies. They didn't stand a chance. Valve won't be bought with a large check just because it's large.
    Yeah, you're right: that's not exactly what they're saying. They're saying, "Hey, if anyone is interested in buying us, we're totally willing to talk, wink wink nudge nudge." To me, it sounds like the executives and shareholders want that sweet buyout money, which is bad for us gamers.

I'm not saying EA is going to corrupt Valve, although that's one possibility. I'm just saying the people who think they're on equal footing are dead wrong.

gilrain on
    edited August 2008

Still, I am very adamant about it. I dislike the fucking idea that I must install something unrelated to my game. I go out, buy a disc, put it into my DvD drive, and then play the content on the disc which I bought with my disposable income from a legitimate job. But no, I must verify the content, sign up so that they have my personal information, and have extra software on my harddrive.

It's not that I don't mind giving .01% of my harddrive space, it's not that I am only mildly annoyed to have to right click and shut down steam from the icon tray, but it's the idea. Look it's great, digital distribution, but god damn, please do not cram it down my throat. I gave you my money, and don't want your extra software nor do I HAVE to give you my personal information. Period.

If I buy an iPod, it doesn't automatically install iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari last time I checked, nor did it ask for my name, number, and address.

I've done the exact opposite with Steam. Steam is now my gaming hub. All of my games are either bought or short-cutted into Steam, and the resources it uses during and out of gameplay is minimal at worst.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    As for the merger itself, if EA and Valve both think that they are better off together or separate, they will do so. I do prefer EA's digital data distribution tool however, probably because it was easy to use, install, didn't add itself to the auto start menu or boot up list. All I did was use it to get the Spore Creature Editor, but it's unintrusive and isn't annoying so it is staying.

Also: I highly doubt a merger or valve being bought out would really change anything about their games. EA has kept it's studios relatively free to do their own thing and do it well. Mythic is a prime example.

Lucky Cynic on