As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moments of the Week! 08-06-08

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Met and talked to Jason Aaron today. I asked him to kill me in one of his comics.

Algertman on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to throw my hat into the "WTF is going on in Final Crisis" camp. Admittedly, I'm not a huge DC reader but I know more than the average giant dog.
    We get an opening with Frankenstein bustin' into a warehouse screaming "FREEZE!" and The Question running away. Next you have a scene where a bunch of shady people are talking about "plans" for the Question should they ever catch her and then, in a dramatic twist of fiction, they catch her as she looks at some super-god wearing safari shorts in a hole.

Then there's talk of floaty chair guy's (can't remember his name) symbol being found in the NY subway that dates back to the paleolithic revolution (revolution?!) even though it's clearly on a concrete pillar that likely wouldn't have existed during the good ole paleolithic revolution.

Then there's some cool Flash stuff just prior to the fire-guy becoming a Cylon.

I didn't get the Superman heat-vision thing. And the "PULL THE PLUGS!" thing was just rediculous.

Oh, and anthropomorphic Tiger-butler with a jetpack.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    The tiger?
    Talking to Freddy?
    Talky Tawny, a classic Marvel Family character

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Talky Tawny still exists after the first Crisis??

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Something tells me he'll be around as long as there's a Marvel Family

Me Too! on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Something tells me he'll be around as long as there's Grant Morrison jacking off about the Silver Age

Fixed that for you.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, shut up. Tawky Tawny is timeless.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seriously fuck you
    Tawny's been around since the Golden Age you twat

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Something tells me he'll be around as long as there's Grant Morrison jacking off about the Silver Age

Fixed that for you.
    hahaha

of all the writers at DC you pick Grant Morrison to complain about jacking off to the silver age?

nice

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    SI: Frontline was pretty great again, and anyone bitching about how super-geniuses don't do anything to fix the world in comics ought to take a look at Invincible Iron Man this week, I think.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That page
    I was like goddamn
    That is how you spend all that money, Mr Stark
    For those of you who don't read it
    He buys the controlling interest in a soda company because they have vending machines literally all over the world
    He then announces his plan to use these vending machines to dispense retrovirals and the AIDS vaccine once they have one

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SI: Frontline was pretty great again, and anyone bitching about how super-geniuses don't do anything to fix the world in comics ought to take a look at Invincible Iron Man this week, I think.
    What do you mean, again? The first one was middling at best.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, this month's Invincible Iron Man was pretty good. I mentioned it a few pages back, but I think my post got lost amidst a wash of FC hating.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    rar rar rar i don't have all the answers right up front on a silver platter with a little hand-lettered placard saying 'here are the answers' rar rar

Fuck you I've been a hideous DC fanboy for years and even I can't figure out what's going on here. This story sucks and you know it.

hey i'm just raggin' you a little man, it's cool. but no, i don't think the story sucks. it's definitely not all being laid out in front of us, but that doesn't mean it won't be. honestly, and i'm not trying to be sarcastic here or anything, i don't know why everyone who has these problems with it doesn't just stop buying it for a bit to see how it shapes up. wait for the trade, even.

I'm just frustrated that there is SO MUCH weird being packed in here, all at once. I'd rather they did a longer (maybe weekly? they seem to love that these days) book that explained what was going on a bit more. I'm going to have to buy a million tie-in books to figure it all out and I hate when that happens.

At least for Secret Invasion I can get by with just the main book and the two Avengers titles.

Coming at this from a Marvel fanboy's perspective, I've found it's just pretty good to just roll with the story so far in FC. I've always been of the mind that there is a lot more room to accept just crazy-ass fantastical stuff goes on in DC than Marvel, so I have no problem with what's gone on so far, up to and including issue 3. Anyway, Morrison said before FC #1 even came out that Mary Marvel was going to fuck up WW's shit. So I hardly see that as a surprise. As for Oracle, I am stupified by some of the comments here. Web Goddess is blindsided by an e-mail doing things e-mail shouldn't be able to do (especially to her). Why wouldn't her reaction jump to unplugging her goddamn computer?

But I especially like the comment about SI. Because you're right. It's much easier to just buy the 16 issues of Avengers that tell the backstory. Meanwhile, the only known FC tie-ins I can guess are really important are maybe Resist, Submit and (ahem) Revelations--all of which are maybe 3 issues each, max. Really, there is no question over which company is doing a more thorough job of milking the shit out of event tie-ins this summer/fall. I though DC Universe #0 summed up the backstory pretty well: gods warred, evil won. After that, any further discussion feels academic because the villains are gods. I figure if the Legion of Three Worlds tie-in is premised on it taking the entirety of the LSH to kick Prime's ass, then worrying much on what Renee Montoya is doing and why one of the Checkmate kings cares is something that is setting up for a bigger part in the future--say when they cover the month between Oracle getting mail and the Flashes reaching Bludhaven. Or not. Who knows?

I still like it. And, really, the discussion about Mary Marvel's attire is best left to the tools on scans_daily.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SpearmintSpearmint Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Thank you Crimsondude! I haven't read Final Crisis, but in the scans I've seen it seems pretty blatant that Oracle's referring to unplugging HER OWN COMPUTER. She doesn't seem to be saying "kill the entire Internet!"

She's just trying to get her own computer disconnected before badness occurs.

Spearmint on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What do you mean, again? The first one was middling at best.

I mean I thought the first one was great and I thought the second issue was also great.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was surprised at how much I liked the first issue of SI Frontline

but I am a big whore for Brian Reed

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so you know what actually was a good moment of the week?

Buffy.

The big reveal of who's assisting Marth in the future?
    Evil Willow.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, Authority was awesome. But uh,
    What the fuck happened to the world? was this some big super-event or something?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, there was the Armageddon event. But from what I understand, those reboot events are as common as pigs rooting through shit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    What the fuck happened to the world? was this some big super-event or something?

See: NUMBER OF THE BEAST #1-8.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess I can see how some of you aren't in to Final Crisis, but I don't see how some of you same people can rave on about Secret Invasion when it's been four issues of the Avengers doing nothing in the Savage Land and various heroes popping in and out of New York City and doing nothing.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess I can see how some of you aren't in to Final Crisis, but I don't see how some of you same people can rave on about Secret Invasion when it's been four issues of the Avengers doing nothing in the Savage Land and various heroes popping in and out of New York City and doing nothing.

Kyle
    Because they didn't unplug the internet because an e-mail was sent out.

Also because they didn't release the Legacy Virus.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Kyle
    no they just hacked a whole network that tony stark set up to control the weather

that's a whole lot more believable

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You're right. The alien virus that shut down Stark Industries, SHIELD, and apparently the whole world from the way some of the tie-ins have suggested is in no way similar.

EDIT: Damn you, Sars.

Also, I hate you all.

That said, here is the offending page with Superman.
    fc3supermanpb0.jpg

After this page, here's the secret: THEY NEVER CUT BACK TO HIM!

So, tell me. Does anyone else see Superman fly off in this issue, or just the people who didn't actually read it?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i thought it was pretty clear that it was just some ploy to get him off planet so that superman isn't around to save everyone, much like they've done with batman and hal jordan.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    plus, y'know, the solicits for the superman mini talk about how he goes off-planet with some crazy broad to do whatever.

i thought you got previews wiggin, aren't you supposed to know this stuff?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    uhhh that's not wiggin

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh whatever, you're all the same

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    servo you wound me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you'll get over it keith

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    now that's just cold

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Final Crisis & I are cool, mostly. But Grant Morrison is not so deep in the internet, and it shows in this issue.

As for the people who don't know what is going on, perhaps the book just isn't for you. Because if Talky Tawny & Frankenstein make you think you're missing a huge plot point, well, this might be too DC-heavy of a book to pick up.

Like, I don't read a lot of Marvel. I picked up one issue of Secret Invasion for fun, and in it some lady was revived and Hawk Eye was happy. I had no idea who the lady was, but I just assumed she was a dead former lover. Just like all you need to know is that the tiger in the suit is a friend of Captain Marvel. I didn't get freaked out and claim Bendis' legacy was over because I didn't understand why there were two Spider-Men and why they were on a Dinosaur Island.

My moments of the week were in:

Nightwing
    "They hug me for a half hour until they stop shaking."
    It was a great detail that really highlighted the difference between Nightwing & Batman. Not only would people have been scared of Batman after he saved them, but he wouldn't stick around to be hugged for a half hour. Nightwing just consoled them and that was awesome.

Also, catching a woman out of a crashing helicopter is a pretty bad ass action scene.

Trinity:
    Primat must be the most hilariously uncomfortable villain to fight. "Shit, Primat is robbing a bank. God, I hate it when that gorilla hits on me. You want to take this one?"

Lux on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Final Crisis & I are cool, mostly. But Grant Morrison is not so deep in the internet, and it shows in this issue.

As for the people who don't know what is going on, perhaps the book just isn't for you. Because if Talky Tawny & Frankenstein make you think you're missing a huge plot point, well, this might be too DC-heavy of a book to pick up.

Like, I don't read a lot of Marvel. I picked up one issue of Secret Invasion for fun, and in it some lady was revived and Hawk Eye was happy. I had no idea who the lady was, but I just assumed she was a dead former lover. Just like all you need to know is that the tiger in the suit is a friend of Captain Marvel. I didn't get freaked out and claim Bendis' legacy was over because I didn't understand why there were two Spider-Men and why they were on a Dinosaur Island.

Seriously. I'm baffled why some fools are acting as if you need a degree in DCU lore to understand what's happening. It's pretty obvious that they're going to explain shit throughout the actual story, instead of throwing out 20 tie-in's which explain it to death.

I'm enjoying Final Crisis.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    This was the week I was going to buy the first three issues of FC. I was ambivalent about doing so before, but now I am, uh, ambivalenter? Probably going to buy it anyway.

Bogart on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After reading all of the controversy I think I might wait for the trade on the rest of FC.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    The US Government tried to weaponise clones of The High, who promptly went insane when they chased the Authority into the Bleed and proceed to blow themselves up in earth's orbit. Cue the end of the world, I guess.

Did anyone read Venom: Dark Origin? It was awful. I don't even know why I read it; possibly because I hate myself.

I guess Eddie Brock has always been totally insane, now!

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hulk #5 was pretty awesome. I liked the art.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Kyle

Also because they didn't release the Legacy Virus.

Once again, read the fucking book.

Algertman on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, is that the chick from Trinity? Morgan La Fay, I think?

Fencingsax on