As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week! 08-06-08

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I guess I can see how some of you aren't in to Final Crisis, but I don't see how some of you same people can rave on about Secret Invasion when it's been four issues of the Avengers doing nothing in the Savage Land and various heroes popping in and out of New York City and doing nothing.

Kyle
    Because they didn't unplug the internet because an e-mail was sent out.
    no they just hacked a whole network that tony stark set up to control the weather

that's a whole lot more believable

wait what

the skrulls aren't controlling the weather what the fuck are you talking about.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously though. What's the deal with the "paleolithic revolution" in Final Crisis? I'm honestly wondering if there was some sort of Homo Erectus uprising in the DCU's past.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously though. What's the deal with the "paleolithic revolution" in Final Crisis? I'm honestly wondering if there was some sort of Homo Erectus uprising in the DCU's past.

It could be a reference to that scene where the First Boy invents crime-fighting.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2008
    But...how would they know about that in the present?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008

They have people who've been alive that long in the DCU.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I guess I can see how some of you aren't in to Final Crisis, but I don't see how some of you same people can rave on about Secret Invasion when it's been four issues of the Avengers doing nothing in the Savage Land and various heroes popping in and out of New York City and doing nothing.

Kyle
    no they just hacked a whole network that tony stark set up to control the weather

wait what

they hacked Tony Starks entire network

that includes (presumably) his wheather machines as seen in MA

regardless, the point remains

Muffin Man is an idiot

Sars_Boy on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Well duh

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2008
    you know its possible to think one aspect of a story is stupid without thinking the whole thing is terrible

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tell that to the Final Crisis debaters.

Wildcat on
    edited August 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Seriously? They have Homo Erectus walking around in the DCU? I know Vandal Savage is super old but I didn't think he was a whole different species. Color me intrigued.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the difference is that they made a logical progression for Stark's network, to breaking it down. (Jarvis would have access to something like that.) Now, it may not be very realistic and logical, but it's internally consistent. The internet working like that is not.

Fencingsax on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Seriously? They have Homo Erectus walking around in the DCU? I know Vandal Savage is super old but I didn't think he was a whole different species. Color me intrigued.

Savage has been called "the last Neanderthal" before. At any rate, Anthro was fighting him in issue 1 after getting the symbol from Metron so there's at least one person on earth who might recognize the symbol and how old it is.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    rar rar rar i don't have all the answers right up front on a silver platter with a little hand-lettered placard saying 'here are the answers' rar rar

Fuck you I've been a hideous DC fanboy for years and even I can't figure out what's going on here. This story sucks and you know it.

hey i'm just raggin' you a little man, it's cool. but no, i don't think the story sucks. it's definitely not all being laid out in front of us, but that doesn't mean it won't be. honestly, and i'm not trying to be sarcastic here or anything, i don't know why everyone who has these problems with it doesn't just stop buying it for a bit to see how it shapes up. wait for the trade, even.

I'm just frustrated that there is SO MUCH weird being packed in here, all at once. I'd rather they did a longer (maybe weekly? they seem to love that these days) book that explained what was going on a bit more. I'm going to have to buy a million tie-in books to figure it all out and I hate when that happens.

At least for Secret Invasion I can get by with just the main book and the two Avengers titles.

Coming at this from a Marvel fanboy's perspective, I've found it's just pretty good to just roll with the story so far in FC. I've always been of the mind that there is a lot more room to accept just crazy-ass fantastical stuff goes on in DC than Marvel, so I have no problem with what's gone on so far, up to and including issue 3. Anyway, Morrison said before FC #1 even came out that Mary Marvel was going to fuck up WW's shit. So I hardly see that as a surprise. As for Oracle, I am stupified by some of the comments here. Web Goddess is blindsided by an e-mail doing things e-mail shouldn't be able to do (especially to her). Why wouldn't her reaction jump to unplugging her goddamn computer?

But I especially like the comment about SI. Because you're right. It's much easier to just buy the 16 issues of Avengers that tell the backstory. Meanwhile, the only known FC tie-ins I can guess are really important are maybe Resist, Submit and (ahem) Revelations--all of which are maybe 3 issues each, max. Really, there is no question over which company is doing a more thorough job of milking the shit out of event tie-ins this summer/fall. I though DC Universe #0 summed up the backstory pretty well: gods warred, evil won. After that, any further discussion feels academic because the villains are gods. I figure if the Legion of Three Worlds tie-in is premised on it taking the entirety of the LSH to kick Prime's ass, then worrying much on what Renee Montoya is doing and why one of the Checkmate kings cares is something that is setting up for a bigger part in the future--say when they cover the month between Oracle getting mail and the Flashes reaching Bludhaven. Or not. Who knows?

I still like it. And, really, the discussion about Mary Marvel's attire is best left to the tools on scans_daily.

If you're saying Rage of the Red Lanterns isn't important I'll be disappointed

Me Too! on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    plus, y'know, the solicits for the superman mini talk about how he goes off-planet with some crazy broad to do whatever.

i thought you got previews wiggin, aren't you supposed to know this stuff?

I didn't give too much of a shit about the Superman mini so I didn't read the preview

Me Too! on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Kyle

wait what

Muffin Man is an idiot
    Hey I'm not the one who bought Countdown even after it started sucking.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2008
    I dont think Sars bought Countdown either

at least I hope not

don't make me regret defending you Sars

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Kyle

wait what

Muffin Man is an idiot
    Hey I'm not the one who bought Countdown even after it started sucking.

So the first issue?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes.

Also, Libra with the whole anti-life equation thing on the Human Flame or whatever that Z-Listers name was is pretty fucking awesome.

The Muffin Man on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spearmint wrote: »
    Thank you Crimsondude! I haven't read Final Crisis, but in the scans I've seen it seems pretty blatant that Oracle's referring to unplugging HER OWN COMPUTER. She doesn't seem to be saying "kill the entire Internet!"

She's just trying to get her own computer disconnected before badness occurs.

Are you reading the same page everyone else is reading?

IMAGE SPOILERS
    fc3p30zc7.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Spearmint wrote: »
    Thank you Crimsondude! I haven't read Final Crisis, but in the scans I've seen it seems pretty blatant that Oracle's referring to unplugging HER OWN COMPUTER. She doesn't seem to be saying "kill the entire Internet!"

She's just trying to get her own computer disconnected before badness occurs.

Are you reading the same page everyone else is reading?

IMAGE SPOILERS
    fc3p30zc7.jpg

No, I have to agree with him. It is perfectly reasonable to assume she's talking about unplugging her computer and killing the net in the sense of killing HER connection. Not as in hack the internets. All of them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited August 2008
    it makes no sense for her to be talking about her own computer because it's not like Terrific is in the room with her. The only one who could unplug her own computer is herself.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Net = Network, not the entire internet.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    this is one of the dumbest arguments ever and I'm sorry I had even a small part in starting it

so please let's just drop it because it is only going to get worse

DJ Eebs on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    Hulk #5 was pretty awesome. I liked the art.

ugh. no. just... no

it is not gravity that makes Mjolnir impossible to pick up. it's Odin's will, and being in space doesn't stop that

Diablo Fett on
    edited August 2008
    Bale....can I call you Bale? WE HAVE TO KILL THE NET. PULL THE PLUGS.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    look at what you did Geebs

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008

ugh. no. just... no

it is not gravity that makes Mjolnir impossible to pick up. it's Odin's will, and being in space doesn't stop that

well wouldnt it technically be Thor's will now? Since Odin is dead and the Odinpower has been passed on to him?

Not that it makes a difference, and I havent read the issue yet anyway.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Still Odin's spell though, I'd think.

Wildcat on
    edited August 2008
    also I read Buffy and I laughed so hard at
    You're pulling my hair!

I'm holding onto your mane!

MY HAIR IS MY MANE

also I totally called the misdirection as to Harth's partner's identity.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Bale....can I call you Bale? WE HAVE TO KILL THE NET. PULL THE PLUGS.

what are you doing

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i just like the idea of oracle having all the other superhero's emails

bulletproofsquarejaw@dailyplanet.com

broodyloner@batcave.net

chestymama@themyscira.edu

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    You posted your 'stop' message while I was posting that, so I didn't see it until after the fact. If only there was an omniscient super-secretary in real life.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I still like Oracle's domain name as seen in Birds of Prey; rollingthunder.

At least she has a sense of humor about it.

Munch on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

ugh. no. just... no

Yeah if that is true it doesn't make sense. I don't know too much about Thor, hasn't really ever interested me

I just liked Hulks beating stuff and the part at the beginning with CAN YOU HERO DO THIS? PUNCH OUT THE WATCHER! with the picture of the watcher's face doing the slow-mo ripple effect

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

ugh. no. just... no

Yeah if that is true it doesn't make sense. I don't know too much about Thor, hasn't really ever interested me

I just liked Hulks beating stuff and the part at the beginning with CAN YOU HERO DO THIS? PUNCH OUT THE WATCHER! with the picture of the watcher's face doing the slow-mo ripple effect

If you take out the parts with the Red Hulk and Thor, Hulk #5 wasn't that bad.

Course, that's like 2 pages.

Ecko on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So Invincible Iron Man was good but Larroca's art seems to have really taken a dive. His faces were really distracting for me.

smokmnky on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ecko wrote: »

ugh. no. just... no

If you take out the parts with the Red Hulk and Thor, Hulk #5 wasn't that bad.

Course, that's like 2 pages.

Supposedly you can only pick up Mjolnir if you're "worthy" of it, and if you do you get the power of Thor. At least that's how it always used to work.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So Invincible Iron Man was good but Larroca's art seems to have really taken a dive. His faces were really distracting for me.

The best part was when Tony was teaching Pepper about the magnet and she started to float and then BAM GIANT MARIA HILL FACE, WHY YES I ACTUALLY AM BIG BROTHER WHY DO YOU ASK.
    Munch wrote: »

I still like Oracle's domain name as seen in Birds of Prey; rollingthunder.

At least she has a sense of humor about it.

"I don't know what you did to me last night, Grayson, but now I can't feel my legs."

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited August 2008
    when danny devito showed up in invincible iron man this month I was like, "man, larroca, what"

although I'm pretty sure that that sequence was a reference to the new avengers thing with the wrecker

DJ Eebs on