As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official "I hate Official Threads" thread

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
can you guys PLEASE STOP TITLING YOUR THREADS

"THE ________ THREAD"'

"THE OFFICIAL _________ THREAD"

"_________ APPRECIATION TOPIC"

we ALREADY KNOW that they are topics/threads. titling them as such is redundant and lazy.

look at how many on the front page fit into this. you guys are hurting my eyes and driving me nuts. :x

take the 15 seconds it takes to think of something relevant and witty. there's something to be said for a good title. please stop with the cookie-cutter junk. I find I am skipping over subjects i would otherwise look at because of poor titling that i just glaze over...

sorry mods for making this sort of topic... i didnt know how to get it out otherwise, only a portion of users visit the chat thread. hope its not found too offensive (trying to make a positive suggestion!)

Thanx! :) carry on.

Deusfaux on

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2004
    Thread titles to Deusfaux: FU QUEER

A duck! on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    Thread titles to Deusfaux: FU QUEER

well i guess something like that would actually get me to take a look. :P

then i would feel shamed if it was about Halo 2 instead. :(

Deusfaux on
    edited November 2004
    I'm trying to remember other overused G+T phrases, but all I have is "need more ram."

A duck! on
  • Vanilla CokeVanilla Coke Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    NO WAYZ WE NEED OUR "The "I got E.T." Thread" threads!!!!!1!

Vanilla Coke on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    I'm trying to remember other overused G+T phrases, but all I have is "need more ram."

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited November 2004
    A duck! wrote:

more like cel-da is an oldie that kinda went away

Deusfaux on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    A ghost you say? A ghost maaybe. She looked just like a ghooost to meee. One minute there and she was goooone.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Tarranon wrote:
    A ghost you say? A ghost maaybe. She looked just like a ghooost to meee. One minute there and she was goooone.

Sounds like my interest in this thread. :P

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • DamionDamion Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    and if they don't?

While were on the topic of "People Please" how about we axe all whiny threads about how others can't handle how things are.

But Honestly this sounds more like a personal problem then any real issue.

Deal.
    A duck! wrote:

IN DA BUTT!!!

Steam olololol!!111

Damion on
    damionitc.png
  • MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    My open response is I'll take OFFICIAL ________ THREAD over some cryptic bullshit like "Didja ever wonder...." or "You know what?", which I'm sure have appeared in one form or another in the past. That said, I think we would all do well to consider what our thread titles are, and now that we know Deus hates official threads, we should think about whether or not the word official is important to the title.

Seriously, just think about it.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    But... but.. it's just so much more official!

Recoil42 on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Deusfaux wrote:
    can you guys PLEASE STOP TITLING YOUR THREADS

"THE ________ THREAD"'

"THE OFFICIAL _________ THREAD"

"_________ APPRECIATION TOPIC"

we ALREADY KNOW that they are topics/threads. titling them as such is redundant and lazy.

look at how many on the front page fit into this. you guys are hurting my eyes and driving me nuts. :x

take the 15 seconds it takes to think of something relevant and witty. there's something to be said for a good title. please stop with the cookie-cutter junk. I find I am skipping over subjects i would otherwise look at because of poor titling that i just glaze over...

sorry mods for making this sort of topic... i didnt know how to get it out otherwise, only a portion of users visit the chat thread. hope its not found too offensive (trying to make a positive suggestion!)

Thanx! :) carry on.

Hey, c'mon, I didn't label it the "Majora's Mask Appreciation Topic". I said it was "An Appreciation".

What would you prefer? "The topic where I talk a lot about Majora's Mask"?

But anyway, yeah, I agree with you otherwise.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited November 2004
    MA17 wrote:
    My open response is I'll take OFFICIAL ________ THREAD over some cryptic bullshit like "Didja ever wonder...." or "You know what?", which I'm sure have appeared in one form or another in the past. That said, I think we would all do well to consider what our thread titles are, and now that we know Deus hates official threads, we should think about whether or not the word official is important to the title.

Seriously, just think about it.

oh i totally agree. those kinds come and go. its just this sudden rash of these kinds of threads (noone can deny with 10 on the front page) that spurred me to say something.

if it was just the occasional thing, I wouldnt have felt this compelled. purely in response

EDIT: i guess i was going to end up offending the people who may have done this recently... no offense meant

just blame it on the group effect. unless i didnt notice and you're responsible for a bunch of them. then i hate you :P

Deusfaux on
  • killblueskillblues Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Once again, I read that as "titties."

Thread fails.

killblues on
    MK: DS Friend Code -- 403.788.951.838
    edited November 2004
    Damion wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

IN DA BUTT!!!

Steam olololol!!111

Want to try again?

A duck! on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    Damion wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

IN DA BUTT!!!

Steam olololol!!111

Want to try again?
    No, you don't get to do this? Or is that HR...I think that might be HR.

That,"Look at me, I'm an attention whore!" pic was popular a while back.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    This thread isnt Games or Technology!

outrage.gif

:wink:

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" to overused phrases: FUCK YOU

I hated that titling so much.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I initially read that as an "open letter to GT about titties".

Anywho...

I don't see the big problem.

What DOES irritiate me is when people use thread titles that are wholly undescriptive. Like "You're not going to believe this!" or "I've got a problem..." or "Ain't gettin' on no airplane!"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2004
    Who cares?

I mean, honestly. This is a trivial concern at best.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I initially read that as an "open letter to GT about titties".

Anywho...

I don't see the big problem.

What DOES irritiate me is when people use thread titles that are wholly undescriptive. Like "You're not going to believe this!" or "I've got a problem..." or "Ain't gettin' on no airplane!"

No shit. At least we know what we are getting with the so called "redundant" thread titles.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • EggNogEggNog Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    wombat wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" to overused phrases: FUCK YOU

it was overused for about a week.

by me.

EggNog on
    sig-1.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2004
    I have a few things to say about this:

"The Official ____", etc topic subjects are titled as such because it draws attention to it, so the intelligence impaired of the forum realize "I SHOULD POST THINGS ABOUT THAT TOPIC...IN THAT TOPIC!" before hastily running to the New Topic button. It's not as effective as it could be, but it works if you want to contain most discussion about a topic into one thread. You guys could be a little more imaginitive with them, though, like "Title - The Official X thread", but maybe not.

I fully endorse the use of "Ain't gettin' on no airplane!" as the title to any thread. In fact, it is now this threads title.

This should probably be in the Monkey Den, but maybe I'll kick it over after people have said what they want to say about it.

The ironic thing is that this title was vague itself. I would have noticed it faster if it was called "The G&T Topic Subject Poll" or something that..you know...made sense.

Monoxide on
    edited November 2004
    I saw that, Target Practice.

Monoxide on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Damn you, I thought there was news on an A-team game :x

-SPI- on
    edited November 2004
    son of a bitch

ill be back under my alt, PikaPuff :?

Deusfaux on
    edited November 2004
    Go go chair force!

TDL on
  • XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    "The Official Bitch Thread Against Official Threads"

Xanathus on
    edited November 2004
    Deusfaux wrote:
    son of a bitch

ill be back under my alt, PikaPuff :?

You're just bitter because you didn't get a hug from MA17.

Monoxide on
  • EggNogEggNog Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    blackavatar.jpg

EggNog on
    sig-1.png
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I hate planes. I've only flown once, and I could honestly go my entire life having never done it again. There's something about being in an enclosed space, 30,000 feet in the air, and having my life in the hands of two guys I've never met and will most likely never even see that I find completely unnerving and scary.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
    edited November 2004
    D.T. wrote:
    I hate planes. I've only flown once, and I could honestly go my entire life having never done it again. There's something about being in an enclosed space, 30,000 feet in the air, and having my life in the hands of two guys I've never met and will most likely never even see that I find completely unnerving and scary.

Would you say "Official" thread topics make you feel the same way?

Monoxide on
    edited November 2004
    Monoxide wrote:
    Would you say "Official" thread topics make you feel the same way?

Not so much, no.

I think a line has to be drawn. There should either be Official Topic threads in an attempt to keep things tidy around here, or people should stop bitching about repeat threads, stop bitching so much to people about using the search function, and just accept the fact that the mods should and will lock them with a quickness. I'd like to think the majority of us here are intellectuals, but there's still going to be a substantial percentage of mongoloids who don't know when to start a new thread, or where to continue a discussion. Official Topic threads are a good guideline.

I think maybe we should step it up a notch, and when a big, popular subject is unanimously decided to be an especially hot topic (IE: Halo 2, I Love Bees, The Nintendo DS), then such threads should just be stickied for a while. These should be special cases, though, otherwise the G&T page would be filled with stickies all the way to the fold. After that, any new threads that look like they may or may not be too close to the subject matter of a given stickied Official Topic, should be locked at the disgression of a mod. What I mean is, if there's an official DS sticky, then a locking or leaving open a thread about the DS versus the PSP would be up to whatever mods happen to see it. If the DS/PSP thread has a relevant discussion happening in it, then leave it open. If people are just singing the praises of either console, or are repeating information from the stickied DS thread verbatim, then it should be locked. See what I mean?

I realize this is pretty similar to what is already happening, but when I see threads like "Halo 2: Leela > J00", I see a title which may be misleading to a newbie who may take it upon himself to start a new Halo thread for a serious discussion.

I think Official Topic threads are a necesasry evil, but we should make the most of them. Only a handful should exist at a time, they should be stickied, and their titles should be extremely straight forward. If this is too much for the mods to deal with, then let's scrap the whole thing and make the most of the Hot Topics section in the Forums Index. I'm sure there are just as many, if not more people interested in Halo 2 as there are in World of Warcraft. It's a good idea, but it seems dumb to limit the Hot Topic section to only WoW and City of Heroes.

On a side note, I think people need to stop taking it upon themselves to bring order to the forum by starting half a fucking million Official Topic threads on the front page. Not everything needs an Official Topic. If it's really popular, then it should be given it's own section of the Hot Topic forum. That way, if someone playing Guild Wars or World of Warcraft is looking for a certain sword or how to beat a monster, they don't have to wade through 50 pages of bullshit in the designated G&T thread to see if the question has already been asked and/or answered. They can just go over to a less populated forum that's central to what information they need.

Hope this beast of a post wasn't too long-winded.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
    edited November 2004
    but does calling them OFFICIAL TOPIC make them any more official or more of a topic?

isnt it established through its use/# of pages/rate of activity?

or you're saying we need huge glaring repeat titles so that people wont make the thread over?

i think there's a disparity here, where im not harping on the offical threads for topics. yay for cutting down on unnecessary repeat subjects. im explicity harping on their titles.

you dont need to say those things in the title just to make it so.

"Metroid Prime 2 - I <3 Samus" would suffice for the MP2 "official thread" without having to call it that.

"Dreamcast, the little console that could" would replace DREAMCAST APPRECIATION TOPIC

and so on. cmon guys, i know you can do better.

"Nintendo DS Thread: November blah blah" - cut "thread"! we know what it is!

Deusfaux on
    edited November 2004
    To me, it just looks like someone trying to clean their room by stacking the laundry and garbage in seperate piles, rather than trying to reorganize the room so it doesn't get as messy anymore. Sure, it helps a lot in the beginning, but those piles are just going to keep getting bigger, and you'll soon need more and more piles to keep the current system going.

I reiterate my opinion to make full use of the Hot Topic forums.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2004
    I was watching Killing Zoe last night, and when they first go into the bank, right after they blast Ron Jeremy with a shotgun, this guy yells "This is an outrage!" in French. Obviously I spent the next 5 minutes laughing thinking of this place.

So basically, official topics aren't annoying, unless they're done by some whore who's only doing it because seeing their name next to a thread with a lot of replies gives them a stiffy. Otherwise they help prevent multiple threads on big games.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited November 2004
    ashcroft's post following mine makes me think people still dont get what I was saying.

its not the nature of the thread, its the nature of its title.

cutting down on repeat threads = good

using repeat cookie-cutter titles on said threads = bad

you dont need to label them OFFICIAL THREAD for them to be so. ok? ok.

Deusfaux on
    edited November 2004
    But who cares what the title is?

This is silly.

TDL on
    edited November 2004
    I think the title of this thread should be changed to "THE OFFICIAL OFFICIAL THREAD THREAD."

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2004
    Tarranon wrote:

I just wanted to say I love you in ways scandelous and mostly illegal for busting that out.

And, topic names never really bothered me. I'd still post in the Half-Life 2 topic if it were renamed "Headcrabs & You: A Documentary By Gordon Freeman," but "The Official H-L2" thing works just fine.

I guess some diversity would be nice, but I'm not gonna shake my fist at the sky if a new "OFFICIAL ___" topic popped up.

exit on
This discussion has been closed.