As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week! 08-06-08

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    plus, y'know, the solicits for the superman mini talk about how he goes off-planet with some crazy broad to do whatever.

i thought you got previews wiggin, aren't you supposed to know this stuff?

I didn't give too much of a shit about the Superman mini so I didn't read the preview

Yeah, why care about something that looks awesome?

But hey, I heard you were finally going to pick up the old issues of Moon Knight this week

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you're saying Rage of the Red Lanterns isn't important I'll be disappointed
    To me it is. For the GL books it probably is. In the grand scheme of FC, though, I am doubtful.
    Balefuego wrote: »
    it makes no sense for her to be talking about her own computer because it's not like Terrific is in the room with her. The only one who could unplug her own computer is herself.

While in the middle of a conversation with Terrific. So naturally she couldn't be telling him to do the same.
    when danny devito showed up in invincible iron man this month I was like, "man, larroca, what"

What?

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moon Knight

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    You people arguing about this internet thing obviously haven't read anything written by Chuck Dixon. I love him to death, but man he does not get technology.

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    plus, y'know, the solicits for the superman mini talk about how he goes off-planet with some crazy broad to do whatever.

Yes. But did he do it in FC #3? No.

If there's a whole mini, I expect that it doesn't begin in the room where he shrugs and says, Fuck it. Let's roll.
    Lux wrote: »
    I didn't get freaked out and claim Bendis' legacy was over because I didn't understand why there were two Spider-Men and why they were on a Dinosaur Island.

Actually it's a hidden jungle on one of the Antarctic peninsulas. But still.
    Keith wrote: »
    You people arguing about this internet thing obviously haven't read anything written by Chuck Dixon. I love him to death, but man he does not get technology.

I'm arguing semantics. Mainly because I don't know how the Internet in the DCU works. For all I know, packets are carried by pixies and fully immersive VR complete with lethal biofeedback defenses is commonplace.

Crimsondude on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    STOP TALKING ABOUT THE INTERNET THING YOU STUPID BASTARDS

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure Chuck Dixon thinks hacking is like playing Centipede except if you mess up, the centipede comes out of the computer and eats you.

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    everything I know about hacking I learned from the movie starring Johnny Lee Miller

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »

i thought you got previews wiggin, aren't you supposed to know this stuff?

I didn't give too much of a shit about the Superman mini so I didn't read the preview

Yeah, why care about something that looks awesome?

But hey, I heard you were finally going to pick up the old issues of Moon Knight this week

Because I don't follow Superman at all
    Why would I care about a mini about a character that I don't care about
    I don't even like Superman

Me Too! on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Supposedly you can only pick up Mjolnir if you're "worthy" of it, and if you do you get the power of Thor. At least that's how it always used to work.

He didn't pick it up.

Thor did.

If Thor had let go, Red Hulk would probably have immediately plummeted to the ground. Of course, then Thor would have bigger problems.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited August 2008
    But Thor did let go when they were in space
    And Red Hulk picked it up

Me Too! on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought that Superman scan was pretty funny
    Supes, staring at Lois: "Only my heat vision is keeping her alive, I'd do anything to save her!"
    Strange lady from behind him: "Anything?"
    Supes, looking around: "What?"
    Lois flatlines as the heat vision is taken off her
    Supes: "Damn it!!"

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Also re: Thor's hammer... arguing over how magic works seems a little silly, don't you think? It's like arguing about what exactly should happen when Dr Strange waves his hands around.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    well Thor's hammer is a lot more defined than Strange's all encompassing magic

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I must admit I've not read as much Thor stuff as I'd like, but I don't recall seeing anything that defined what would happen to his hammer in zero-g before.

Who's to say it doesn't work by just making the hammer impossibly dense and therefore impossible to pick up in a gravity well?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2008
    the fact that only Thor can lift his hammer is pretty central to the character and really his whole little section of the universe.

Thats why Beta Ray Bill is Beta Ray Bill, because he was able to lift Mjolnir.

I mean the fucking thing is inscribed with "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    That's really beside the point. All I'm suggesting is that calling the whole thing dumb because that's not how the magic works strikes me as a little silly, without something to back it up.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Since there's no down in zero-gravity lifting doesn't really mean anything.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited August 2008
    It's Jeph Loeb, just roll with it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    That's really beside the point. All I'm suggesting is that calling the whole thing dumb because that's not how the magic works strikes me as a little silly, without something to back it up.

well the way the magic works explictly is that only someone "worthy" of the hammer can lift it. Period.

I havent read the issue so I dont know exactly whats going on, but thats the way Mjolnir has always worked

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Bale trust me when I say it's dumb
    Red Hulk grabs Thor and jumps really high
    High as in, into space
    Apparently in space the whole "can't pick up Mjolnir" thing is void because he takes the hammer and beats the shit out of Thor with it
    Saying that again: HE BEATS UP THOR WITH MJOLNIR

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008
    Im not gonna click that spoiler because I buy Hulk, so Im gonna read the issue

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    It ignores every "Thor in space" story ever. Maybe Loeb just hasn't read those issues. Maybe Loeb's editor hasn't read those issues. INFINITY GAUNTLET really wasn't that popular of a story, they probably missed it.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    That's why I spoilered it
    So that the people who don't can click it
    But yeah I thumbed it at the store and it was terrible

Me Too! on
    edited August 2008

This.
    It ignores every "Thor in space" story ever. Maybe Loeb just hasn't read those issues. Maybe Loeb's editor hasn't read those issues. INFINITY GAUNTLET really wasn't that popular of a story, they probably missed it.

Speaking as someone who loves Infinity Gauntlet, explain how it's relevant in any way, shape or form. They are under gravity the whole time (presumably provided by Thanos himself), Thor throws his hammer at Thanos who teleports it away. Thor gets thrown off the platform, somehow swims back through space to get back onto it... turns into whoever the human posing as Thor at the time (this wasn't even the real Thor by the way), gets his hammer back, gets turned into glass and then gets smashed. The only ones that touch Thors hammer are Thor and a few peoples faces. Noone ever trys to pick it up, and it never appears to be in zero gravity.

So yeah, explain to me how that "Thor in space" story invalidates this one please. Any time you like...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think Thor was Eric Masterson during Infinity Gauntlet.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited August 2008
    Virral wrote: »

This.

Speaking as someone who loves Infinity Gauntlet, explain how it's relevant in any way, shape or form. They are under gravity the whole time (presumably provided by Thanos himself), Thor throws his hammer at Thanos who teleports it away. Thor gets thrown off the platform, somehow swims back through space to get back onto it... turns into whoever the human posing as Thor at the time (this wasn't even the real Thor by the way), gets his hammer back, gets turned into glass and then gets smashed. The only ones that touch Thors hammer are Thor and a few peoples faces. Noone ever trys to pick it up, and it never appears to be in zero gravity.

So yeah, explain to me how that "Thor in space" story invalidates this one please. Any time you like...

Yeah, IG was a poor example on my part.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    there are plenty of real Thor in space stories though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Yeah - the Juggernaut should have pulled that move on him during the Defalco/Frenz run. I think Roy Thomas had Airwalker pick up the hammer once, way back when.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    the enchantment only works on living beings, thats why Airwalker could lift it.

Maybe Red Hulk is a robot or zombie

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Maybe it's not Thor.

Wasn't there a clone running around for a while or something? (I don't read Thor)

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2008
    the clone thor was in civil war, that was before the real Thor came back

he's not around anymore no

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wait, is that the chick from Trinity? Morgan La Fay, I think?

Well, considering that it's the same person who was shadowing NIX and since she looks exactly like one of the Monitors from the first issue, I'm gonna say that mystery lady is pretty clearly a monitor.

Also, Authority was awesome this week. And it wasn't part of a "reboot" of the WS universe... I mean, unless we also want to consider Final Crisis and Secret Invasion reboots of their respective universes as well. Worldstorm two years ago WAS a reboot that reset the wildstorm clock back to zero and pretty much led to the failure of the authority and Wildcats books. Number of the beast used "story" and "plot development" to further the universe (and relaunch the two books). Sorry that I always act like a dick when people talk about how WS just rebooted, but it's only because the three events (armagedon, Nemesis mini and Number of the beast) that led to this new World's End situation were pretty much the opposite of a reboot.

Also, HI! I've trolled these forums since I started reading comics but I just finally signed up to try and be a part of this big happy family

initiatefailure on
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Except that he wasn't in zero gravity.
    You seriously don't want to know what would happen to the universe if space was a zero gravity zone.
    Picking up the hammer should have made him plummet into either the moon, earth, or the sun, depending on which of those had the biggest gravitational pull on him at that point in time.
    Trying to swing the hammer would just have made him pivot around it in a most comical fashion.

Hi btw, can't believe my first post after lurking for the last years is about something as stupid as this :D

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    new MOTW was finding out the new Criminal came out this week

it's fucking great

Sars_Boy on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My MOTW is reading the first two trades of Jack of Fables.

Other then that Iron Man was okay and the Twelve was sad again.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited August 2008
    Also, Authority was awesome this week. And it wasn't part of a "reboot" of the WS universe... I mean, unless we also want to consider Final Crisis and Secret Invasion reboots of their respective universes as well. Worldstorm two years ago WAS a reboot that reset the wildstorm clock back to zero and pretty much led to the failure of the authority and Wildcats books. Number of the beast used "story" and "plot development" to further the universe (and relaunch the two books). Sorry that I always act like a dick when people talk about how WS just rebooted, but it's only because the three events (armagedon, Nemesis mini and Number of the beast) that led to this new World's End situation were pretty much the opposite of a reboot.

I'm liking the direction they are going with Authority, it seems like it will lead to some interesting stories (if their writer doesn't bail on them this time, something else I'm pissed at Morrison for)

I was so sad for Apollo and Midnighter.

For those who haven't read it yet...
    There is so much smog, dust, and cloud cover from what was basically the apocalypse, Apollo can't be below the cloud cover for more than a few moments before he starts to waste away. He has to stay in the photosphere. (Something must have happened to his powers that he can't store energy as much anymore, or something).

MuddBudd on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gokerz wrote: »

Except that he wasn't in zero gravity.
    You seriously don't want to know what would happen to the universe if space was a zero gravity zone.
    Picking up the hammer should have made him plummet into either the moon, earth, or the sun, depending on which of those had the biggest gravitational pull on him at that point in time.

You know that would have made for a bloody good ending for the story after all of Red Hulks dickishness, he does the stupid "jump Thor into space" thing, grabs the hammer, magic actually works like its meant to, the Red Hulk gets slammed into the surface of the moon at super sonics speeds, Thor picks up his hammer and goes home.

Then Loeb can write a series about Red Hulk punching Blackbolts voice.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    him falling in to the sun would have been acceptable as well.

Angry on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    new MOTW was finding out the new Criminal came out this week

it's fucking great

jake's one of my favorites. i'm glad he's getting an arc, and i really liked the way this one ended.

edit- plus the backmatter was about one of my favorite movies- Night and the City

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg