As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm new here, so this is new to you. New version of the "trailer" at bottom.

ShadowMaximusShadowMaximus Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
There is a new one on page 2, I added and took out stuff. I know you guys don't really like it, but I am trying to improve it. Critique away!!

p.s. if you like it, then awesome!

I made this trailer real fast out of a film I did like 3 months ago. I was wondering what you great citizens of the pennyarcade forums think. It is about the relationship between two cops. It gets pretty deep, maybe even a little uncomfortable with how REAL it gets. I hope that you all can deal with it. Thank you, all.

watch?v=-9cJ2SuBeto

ShadowMaximus on

• Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aren't trailers usually like... a minute?

Kris on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No. They're not. There is no set rule of how long a trailer can be. An entire movie could be a trailer. Hmmm... I just thought of a million dollar baby...

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe there's no hard and fast rule, but I think there are some pretty sound practical reasons why you wouldn't want a trailer this long. Spoiler alert, anyone? Hell, with some movies I watch a 60 second trailer and then when I see the actual movie I feel like I've already seen it. In my opinion, the whole point of a trailer is to give the viewer a short TASTE of the film to get them interested, all without giving too much away. In that respect, a 4-minute trailer fails hard.

As a side note, sock puppet guy is pretty awesome.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As you see, this actually gives nothing away with the actual movie. That is the thing. I had this script, and all the shit hit the fan with my school(they f***ed me outta like 500 bucks), so I said screw it, and I shot this in 1 day. I just call it a trailer, cause I plan to make it later.

P.S. Just cause you guys don't like 4 minute trailers, I'll call it something different. How 'bout a taste of my movie, without being anything about my movie. Except for the characters. (That is a long name compared to, trailer)

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with Penguin's post. That trailer was waaaay too long to hold my interest. It may not reveal anything about the plot as you say, but when I had to force myself to finish watching the thing I didn't really feel inclined to watch the actual movie.

I know that this thing is your baby and all of that, but if you gut about two thirds of that thing you'd have a much stronger teaser trailer.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It isn't really my "baby", it is something I made quick, and something I just got a kick out of making and hoped you'd get a kick out of too.

I actually find the opening scene pretty boring. I love the rest though. I think the beginning is what really slows it down.

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you might be at the wrong place then. This forum is for getting crits about improving one's work. If your intention was just to show off the product, there are various youtube threads around the forums that you could post it in.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, you are not understanding what I am saying. I want the feedback, cause if I was about just showing it I wouldn't really be replying to what people are saying. What you said, I said I agree with. I would love to know what people think about it.

It is just a misunderstanding.

I am just one of those people that understand and see exactly what people mean, so I am pretty passive when someone gives me a comment. Cause a lot of time I see it too. But, I mean everyone wants to show there work, but I love the feedback too.

I would love to know what people find the strongest and what they find the weakest. I mean, I am open to listening.

This to me is like a quick drawing or sketch, imperfect but with strong points. So, if you all would help me iron it out then, AWESOME!!!

Also, I am not an editor, obviously.

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Give me a little while, I'll cut it up and lets see what we can get.

watch?v=9gD5t20o054

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    Drew_9999Drew_9999 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's still too long and I get bored watching it. My feeling is that you took 90 seconds to say "Two cops are best friends until one falls victim to drug abuse." That's a setup that you could tell in three still shots. First I would cut this trailer down to the *bare minimum* needed to tell the story. That could be as little as a few seconds. They chase crooks for 3 seconds, they pal around for 3 seconds, one cop finds the other on drugs and they go opposite ways in 3 seconds. Then I would build the trailer around that, only adding things that enhanced those three ideas without being redundant. You should be able to chop this thing down to 30 seconds easy.

As far as the story, I'm interested in seeing the puppet fight crime with his partner, and very much not interested to see him drinking and his partner crying. But hey, you can't please everyone. Good luck, I know it's tough.

Drew_9999 on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No, you are not understanding what I am saying. I want the feedback, cause if I was about just showing it I wouldn't really be replying to what people are saying. What you said, I said I agree with. I would love to know what people think about it.
    If you really posted this expecting anything besides asspats, you wouldn't be trying to justify every piece of critique you receive. You edited the trailer, I'll give you that, but you weren't really too receptive at the beginning of this thread.

I am just one of those people that understand and see exactly what people mean, so I am pretty passive when someone gives me a comment. Cause a lot of time I see it too. But, I mean everyone wants to show there work, but I love the feedback too.
    Maybe it's because I'm not "one of those people", but this comes off as pretentious.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    quid squidquid squid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i stopped watching the first video after the guy slipped on the hood of the car. and the guy should have been running a lot faster in the opening of the first video...he's just jogging and the car is barely rolling. so suspenseful.

quid squid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Drew_999: I see what you are saying. Like I was saying, I had this entire thing written, then was screwed over pretty frickin' bad, so I thought of this in 1 hour, shot it, and that was it. I'm way more interested in what you said too.

Cap'n Mango: It is not that I was real receptive, it is just, to receive the crits necessary for anything I think people need to understand. I wasn't receptive? I agreed with him. What advice was I really given that I could have been preceptive to? "It's too long." ? Alright, well tell me what I can do about it.
    And about the "I'm not one of those people", I find just as many flaws in what I do as everyone does. That has nothing to do with being pretentious.

quid squid: I know, he should have been running faster. I agree too.

Overall, I think everyone is taking it like it's "The Hours". It is not at all supposed to be serious. But, yeah, thanks for the kinda feedback. If I rummage through it, I might be able to find something useful.

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not really understanding why you would release it if you found parts of it boring yourself...

I'd say the concept is interesting enough, but there's apparently a lot more to film than the concept, because this got boring. I watched the first half of the original, then skipped around to the end. It comes off amateurish, and there's a lot of unnecessary parts, or just unfunny parts. But for all I know you were just making this for Youtube, so it's hard to judge it in the right frame of reference.

Some quicker, more timely cuts would help, and just like a comic, writing, or any other presentation, think about what is absolutely necessary; anything extra gets repetitive and boring FAST, and that's not just for "trailers."

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The reason I released it is because this is a forum that helps people because they know they need it. That was a lame thing for you to say. As I said, I filmed it fast. It was more of a practice for when I film the real one.

This is really an unhelpful place. Everyone takes everything into a whole different context when it is said. It seems that everyone is just looking for a reason to be an ass. I'm told that I sound pretentious when I say I see the same problems in what I do, as others do. That is, stupid.

I've lurked here for a long time and have seen it, but I didn't believe that it happens to everyone.

This is a forum to help you, but the help is usually muddled in with pointless crap. People don't know how to explain what they say.

As I said, I am not an editor, tell me what you think I need to change, and not just, "It's too long".

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That was a lame thing for you to say. As I said, I filmed it fast.

First, I was trying to be nothing but honest.

Second, what are you expecting? You admit all over the place that you did this fast, you don't like certain parts of it, and then you get offended when people say they don't like it?

I made this stick figure drawing of a dinosaur attacking a Twinky factory. I did it really fast, and I don't like parts of it, but please tell how much you love it and modify it yourself so it looks better for me.

Not the greatest approach. Though again, in concept, a dinosaur attacking a Twinky Factory is an awesome.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shiboe: There you go, doing exactly what I said people here do, I said I just want help, and you don't take anything out of context. You just make some shit up about how I just want people to tell me that they like it. I don't care if you don't like it. I just ask for help. But, it seems a lot of people here are oblivious to what help really is. They think that trying to be sarcastic and witty that it is help, when it just makes them look like assholes. So, thanks for the slop that you can write. You just sound like an idiot.

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shiboe: There you go, doing exactly what I said people here do, I said I just want help, and you don't take anything out of context. You just make some shit up about how I just want people to tell me that they like it. I don't care if you don't like it. I just ask for help. But, it seems a lot of people here are oblivious to what help really is. They think that trying to be sarcastic and witty that it is help, when it just makes them look like assholes. So, thanks for the slop that you can write. You just sound like an idiot.

It's all about presentation. I and everyone here are responding to how you presented yourself and your product, nothing more. No one came here looking to hurt you, only to critique your work.

Now read your paragraph and think about how you sound.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I see exactly how I sound. I still think it. There is nothing wrong with how I presented myself, maybe you sould look at how you presented yourself. Critique? There have been no critiques. The first thing you said was "I'm not really understanding why you would release it if you found parts of it boring yourself... "

What kind of thing is that. When people aren't completely happy with their work, they come here for help. If I would have said I was completely happy with it, then why would I ask for help and get info on what you guys think. If I was completely happy with it, then I would have just been showboating what I can do. I am trying to see what I can fix when I continue this later.

So, do you see what I mean with what you said?

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here's a good rule of thumb for you: make your work as good as you possibly can, then ask for help.

When you show us something that you are not entirely satisfied with, you will undoubtedly receive negative comments. Don't expect us to love something that even you aren't completely pleased with.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The problem is that you expect us to point out every single flaw. There is just no way we will be able to do that.

For one, IT'S TOO LONG!!! Do you expect us to tell you what scenes to cut and what to edit for length? This is your project, you are the artist; you should have the necessary skill to cast a critical eye on your own work. We can give you a broad impression of the flaws but we are not about to start nitpicking a four minute long "trailer."

My advice is to change the attitude. Once you calm down and actually try to understand what everyone is saying to you, and see your film from the spectator's point of view, you will be able to piece out what needs to change.

Right now the piece is too long, you will lose your audience's attention within the first 30 seconds of the film because the cuts are just too long. Shorten the length of the scenes, make it quick and snappy, and you will be able to hold your viewer's attention.

Second, there is no dialog. Although this can be a good thing, you handle it with no real care. It doesn't supply suspense or anything and the music is the only thing we hear. Sound is a major aspect in film, you need to use it creatively and innovativly to further the story you are telling. You have scenes where the characters are talking to each other but we don't hear anything...not very good film making.

I think the acting is terrible as well. Your cast is an assortment of your friends i assume, but most exhibit no emotion and i'm glad a sock got the part because he's more emotive than any of his human colleagues. The action scenes are stale and slow paced. Like it was said before...the bad guy is jogging to get away...not suspenseful at all.

This leads me to the next problem i have. You claim that it's a comedy... Did anyone laugh at all? I didn't see anything funny to speak of. You have a gimmick...your sock puppet...but that doesn't make it instantly funny. This could have been helped with better acting but you work with what you got i guess.

I dunno man. This project needs a serious overhaul. You can't use the excuse that you took no time to film to explain it's crappyness. Some of the most amazing art i've seen has only taken a few minutes to create.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    heheh i laughed at the part where it said "partners" and they were spinning in circles
    i also laughed at the high school musical poster
    i don't know anything about film making, but i thought it was alright, i dunno

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, as you see, I want more of a comment then, "It is too long." That is all. Tell me what you think is strong and what you think isn't. I am satisfied with what I filmed, I am just not an editor, and that is what I want to improve.

Deelock: I appreciate what you are saying, which has been a lot more than other people. You actually took the time to say more. So thank you. I see exactly where you are coming from. That is all I wanted. I don't want people to take apart every scene, just tell me what makes it lag.

Beavotron: Thank you. I love that High School Musical Poster.

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    quid squidquid squid Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this is just gonna go back and forth and you're not going to end up with any critiques, or when you post something else no one will want to comment for the fear of the same thing happening. "it's too long" is part of a critique, and is a critique on your editing (which is what you just said is one of your weak points.)

instead of arguing, try to look at what they are saying whether it is what you are looking for or not.

quid squid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    quid squid: What are you talking about? Did you read what I just wrote? I am not arguing. We all know, "It's too long." Now, what can I do to fix it? What are your ideas, what have you read, anything. That is all I have been saying this entire time. I have not argued. I just ask the same question, every time that I post. Can you tell me what makes it slow. it is like telling an artist, the body structure is wrong, anyone can say that, but someone that can actually tell you what part is wrong is the helpful one.

Not the one that just says, "it's too long".

I know you guys aren't fans, but I wanted to try again. I added some voice-over, faster editing, and some sound effects. I dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhmCWJC17M

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wasting Penguin: I'm glad you like O' Maloy (the sock-puppet)! :)

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    Dr SanchezDr Sanchez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with everything Deelock said, I think it's pretty poor, you say it was rushed and it looks that way. And you're not going to get any sympathy for excuses, time constraints etc. Some of the best shorts I've seen have been from 48 hour film festivals. But anyway, you say you want to know what's strong about it and I'm struggling to find anything.

The effects like the rain and the knife just look awful, I know it's supposed to help the comedy but it looks so bad. The bit where he swings the knife, I may be wrong here but it sounds like the *swish* sound effects were spoken instead of actual sound effects.

Did you find this funny? The humour comes across as really juvenile. Oh and the titles were really amateur and badly placed, the framing and angles were painful, and please oh god please buy a tripod... but you know what? There's an endless list here.

However, you say you're not an editor, but I did think for some of the parts (*some*, most were really bad), the sequences were quite well cut together. Still needs a lot of work but there is something promising there.

What I am interested to know, is what did you make this for? Was it for a project? For fun? Festivals? What standard were you aiming for when you made this?

Something positive though, if this is what you want to do in the future, or something you just want to get good at, then keep making more stuff. Don't re-edit old rushed projects, that's not going to improve anything. But like anything else, storytelling, camera work, editing etc etc it all takes tonnes of practice to get any good at it. Anybody who has tried putting good films together has made at least one poor one.

Dr Sanchez on