As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who the Hell Reads Archie?

2»

• Options
    BrizianBrizian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used to see ads for 'Archie's Weird Mysteries' on Teletoon all the time. It was obviously based on the comics, so I'm guessing the people who watch the show are the same people buying the comics.

EDIT:: I don't know how reliable it is, but this site claims that Archie has 1.25 Million monthly readers.

Brizian on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I was about to mention the Archie cartoon. It came on too early to ever watch. I only ever liked Sabrina.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scott Pilgrim is Archie done right.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    humorbot5humorbot5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brizian wrote: »
    I used to see ads for 'Archie's Weird Mysteries' on Teletoon all the time. It was obviously based on the comics, so I'm guessing the people who watch the show are the same people buying the comics.

EDIT:: I don't know how reliable it is, but this site claims that Archie has 1.25 Million monthly readers.

"recognized by an astonishing ninety-eight percent of surveyed teens and adults"

I think we can pretty much write it off.

humorbot5 on
    Humorbot.png

That's (h)yoōmərbät NOT ˈhəmərbät
    "Otacon, I'm getting really fucking sick of this fucking mission, let's go to KFC"
  • Options
    MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Apparently at one point teeny-bopper comedy comics outsold Superhero comics by a long shot and every major publisher had at least one title in the genre. I think the final death knell for the genre was when the lead of Marvel's Archie-analog title "Patsy Walker" became the mutant Hellcat in the mid-seventies. Archie is pretty much the lone straggler of an otherwise dead race.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a box full of old archie books ... it was my sister who kept on getting them when we were young, though they are great toilet reading. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meowsville wrote: »
    Apparently at one point teeny-bopper comedy comics outsold Superhero comics by a long shot and every major publisher had at least one title in the genre. I think the final death knell for the genre was when the lead of Marvel's Archie-analog title "Patsy Walker" became the mutant Hellcat in the mid-seventies. Archie is pretty much the lone straggler of an otherwise dead race.

the teen drama with a dash of goofyness or fantasy thing is done all the fricking time in manga and indy books. perhaps these things are cutting into archie's market

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meowsville wrote: »

the teen drama with a dash of goofyness or fantasy thing is done all the fricking time in manga and indy books. perhaps these things are cutting into archie's market

That is true. That stuff never died in Japan and some of it is fun. And even as bad as teen girl manga can be, it looks pretty good in relation to Archie--there are few things as painful to read.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But hey, at least they're bringing Millie the Model back!

Wildcat on