As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMO Burn out-> so I need a new game

2»

• ewichernewichern Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just wish there was a way to pick up the campaigns/expansion for less than like $100 total. I played the original, but never bought the additional campaigns, figuring they'd drop in price and/or release a compilation package at some point, but as it is now they're still $40, $40, $50. Way too much to get all 3, and the anal-retentive side of me refuses to play GW again until I have access to ALL the new content.

ewichern on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Understandable.

It's their way of having fee.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ewichern wrote: »
    I just wish there was a way to pick up the campaigns/expansion for less than like $100 total. I played the original, but never bought the additional campaigns, figuring they'd drop in price and/or release a compilation package at some point, but as it is now they're still $40, $40, $50. Way too much to get all 3, and the anal-retentive side of me refuses to play GW again until I have access to ALL the new content.

http://www.amazon.com/NCsoft-875646000703-Guild-Wars-Trilogy/dp/B001DI6O6C/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1218261520&sr=8-39

Doesn't come out till Sept 25th though.

You can find most campaigns for ~ $20 each on Amazon or Newegg as well.

beta.lyrae on
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rather than start up a new thread, I guess I will also throw my hat in here as one in need of assistance. I've been really craving an MMO fix as of late, but I seem to have the hardest time nailing down one to get into. I've messed around with a handful of free Korean affairs, but I really just want to get into something of substance.

As far as my thought process so far goes: WoW is kinda out of the question, though I don't have anything against it. I played it through to max level pre-expansion and messed around with a couple of alts, and while I basically loved every minute of it, I just feel as though I've "finished" the game. I'd really been looking forward to AoC (and am actually the closest to buying this), but I just keep hearing a lot of negative comments about it, both here and elsewhere. EQII is also a possibility, but I'm leery of joining a game that's 4+ years old and has multiple expansions. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get into it at this point.

I'm not looking for a game I can sink 20+ hours a week into, just something where I can lose myself in the world when family comes in from out-of-town. Anyone care to help a guy out?

Edit: I realized I should add that while I've heard alot of good things about CoH and the like, the setting just really doesn't appeal to me at all.

rndmhero on
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Rather than start up a new thread, I guess I will also throw my hat in here as one in need of assistance. I've been really craving an MMO fix as of late, but I seem to have the hardest time nailing down one to get into. I've messed around with a handful of free Korean affairs, but I really just want to get into something of substance.

As far as my thought process so far goes: WoW is kinda out of the question, though I don't have anything against it. I played it through to max level pre-expansion and messed around with a couple of alts, and while I basically loved every minute of it, I just feel as though I've "finished" the game. I'd really been looking forward to AoC (and am actually the closest to buying this), but I just keep hearing a lot of negative comments about it, both here and elsewhere. EQII is also a possibility, but I'm leery of joining a game that's 4+ years old and has multiple expansions. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get into it at this point.

I'm not looking for a game I can sink 20+ hours a week into, just something where I can lose myself in the world when family comes in from out-of-town. Anyone care to help a guy out?

Edit: I realized I should add that while I've heard alot of good things about CoH and the like, the setting just really doesn't appeal to me at all.

Well, I'm considering hitting up WoW again. Starting over. So if you do decide to pick up WoW one more time, We can be level buddies.

JonnyBot on
  • kidsolkidsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

AoC is pretty awesome but takes a good computer to run, it plays like WoW, you cna lvl quick but I hear theres some grinding actually envolved, but people have been capping out awfully quickly. I'm awaiting AION myself its looking pretty promising we'll see what their E3 announcement holds.

I'm like you I need my fix as well to drown out reality and I don't wanna start in a game thats 3-4 years old ebcause you get more quitters so its hard to attach to people to play along with.

kidsol on
    Rift: Sunrest - Ayaname (Warrior) - Steam: We Are 138 - XBL: Kidsol
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kidsol wrote: »

AoC is pretty awesome but takes a good computer to run, it plays like WoW, you cna lvl quick but I hear theres some grinding actually envolved, but people have been capping out awfully quickly. I'm awaiting AION myself its looking pretty promising we'll see what their E3 announcement holds.

I'm like you I need my fix as well to drown out reality and I don't wanna start in a game thats 3-4 years old ebcause you get more quitters so its hard to attach to people to play along with.

Calling something awesome and then evidencing no personal experience does not engender confidence. :|

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kidsol wrote: »

I'm pretty sure my PC can handle the load, though I may have to turn things down abit. A little grinding doesn't bother me to much, as long as the underlying game is fun enough to support it.

My biggest problem with joining a game 4 years old is not so much people quitting, since I figure that most people who have stuck it out that long are pretty solidly into it. It's more that the game is so established that anyone still playing it is miles ahead and endgame raiding, while that new and exciting feeling of exploration has largely faded. I have such a hard time explaining this, but it's like exploring the West with Louis and Clark vs. exploring it now. Same country, but a lot of the mystery is gone once everything is on farm status.

I just seems like any praise for any game save WoW is drowned out by those claiming it sucks, which is not terribly helpful when it comes to selecting a title.

rndmhero on
    edited August 2008

I'm pretty sure my PC can handle the load, though I may have to turn things down abit. A little grinding doesn't bother me to much, as long as the underlying game is fun enough to support it.

My biggest problem with joining a game 4 years old is not so much people quitting, since I figure that most people who have stuck it out that long are pretty solidly into it. It's more that the game is so established that anyone still playing it is miles ahead and endgame raiding, while that new and exciting feeling of exploration has largely faded. I have such a hard time explaining this, but it's like exploring the West with Louis and Clark vs. exploring it now. Same country, but a lot of the mystery is gone once everything is on farm status.

I just seems like any praise for any game save WoW is drowned out by those claiming it sucks, which is not terribly helpful when it comes to selecting a title.

I totally understand that too, that why I'm having a hard time with it as well. I wanna start along with the beginning of a game thats why i tried AOC right away and Tubala rasa, goign through the worst stages of the game and the changes that you my never get to experience unless you are starting it along with the start of the game going live.

GIve AoC a shot If you wanna PM me ill get you a friend code they started them and my account is still active for the moment, the game might be your thing, i caps 36gigs of HD space though so beware lol.

kidsol on
    edited August 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Calling something awesome and then evidencing no personal experience does not engender confidence. :|

I'm actually 41 on AoC and im at a point where grinding seems to be my only option. Somethign abuot it just stopped clicking, I had to upgrade so much for it to be bareable to play thgouh, I went form 2 gig ram to 4gig and upgraded from a 8600GTS to a 9800GTX then i played much better.

The grinding that I am told of is up in the higher 58 and so on, but they update it so much I'm sure they have been adding more quests for more end game content, the pvp fraps ive seen look sick though. I liked the game layout and the concept, and my first impression of it was awesome but the excitement died off for some reason. Part of the reaosn i stopped playing is because i changed jobs so i cant play late anymore, and everyone i played with were night owls (Prolly had the biggest impact.) and I couldnt ever find the NPC's to do start my professions, the instanced layout is hard to get used too.

kidsol on
  • NeolightNeolight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AoC is a fun game, but it really does get a little dull at 80 right now and while its fine to play atm; note that it will be more worth your while to check it out when they have more working content all around.

And stay away from Vanguard. Really. Do not ever play that PoS.

Neolight on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Neolight wrote: »
    AoC is a fun game, but it really does get a little dull at 80 right now and while its fine to play atm; note that it will be more worth your while to check it out when they have more working content all around.

I only heard positive things about Vanguard, is there any specific reason you do not like Vanguard other than that it was shitty a year ago before they fixed their game?

Aldo on
    edited August 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Neolight wrote: »

I only heard positive things about Vanguard, is there any specific reason you do not like Vanguard other than that it was shitty a year ago before they fixed their game?

Im kinda wondering the same, its pretty cheap to buy for a 30 day play i think the collectors edition is like 14.99 at micro center by me.

kidsol on
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mazrim wrote: »
    Hold out for WAR, imo.
    H

Sword of the New World
    Free to play
    A baroque-ish MMO with very pretty graphics. Main selling point is that you control 3 characters at once and that you can develop these three characters separately. Fun for weeks, if you can look past the retarded community and the ever-grind. Used to be called Grenado Espada.

Dear lord NO, That game is an evil evil system of forcing anybody who wants to expirience endgame or just EASY play in general to spend 60-300 bucks monthly to sustain random bullcrap or advance gear further.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited August 2008
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    Dear lord NO, That game is an evil evil system of forcing anybody who wants to expirience endgame or just EASY play in general to spend 60-300 bucks monthly to sustain random bullcrap or advance gear further.
    Yes, they have a cash shop. There is plenty of fun to be had in the lower regions and enough challenging content to keep you interested for quite a while. You do not have to pay them any money to have fun in this game, you can have fun for 0$.

Aldo on
  • Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rosspring wrote: »
    Try Vanguard, It is fun from the get go, and cheap to pickup.

Don't you dare try Vanguard! This game is horrendously bugged, has huge expansive worlds with no players to fill them, the art style is very bland, and the economies are ruined from duplication exploits.

Funguy McAids on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    News flash: Vanguard != "teh suck" anymore

To be fair it is still kind of empty, but that's because it's fucking huge. Rather have that than small and crowded.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Don't you dare try Vanguard! This game is horrendously bugged, has huge expansive worlds with no players to fill them, the art style is very bland, and the economies are ruined from duplication exploits.
    Can you send a message to past year's me and tell him to put the money on Spain, please?

Aldo on
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fatgoat87 wrote: »
    Yes, they have a cash shop. There is plenty of fun to be had in the lower regions and enough challenging content to keep you interested for quite a while. You do not have to pay them any money to have fun in this game, you can have fun for 0$.

Yeah untill... You want to.

1. Not spend stupid amounts of ingame money for booklets to advance your character to "veteran & expert "
    2. Not spend stupid amounts of ingame money buying materials for upgrading equipment that has a chance of breaking the item anyway
    3. If you EVER want to have a chance at endgame raiding, the AR/DR bonus from the 15-30day cash shop wings are ALMOST required unless you have the whole rest of your team carrying your weak pathetic self through the fight since you wont hardly ever do any damage to the boss. (And dont even dream of tanking a boss if you dont have stacks of cash shop buff items to help your tank.)
    4. Most of the actualy usefull characters are all cash shop characters, Not to mention that if you want ANY of the items off the baron areas, your pumping more money into their cash machine. ( Go figure )
    5. There is no such thing as "Early fun content" That game is nothing but an afk grind to the end, and anybody who tries to say "I played the whole time from 1 to 100" is a liar.

Fatgoat87 on
    edited August 2008
    Man what? How long does it take to get to Veteran anyway? 2 months? 3 months? Your problems with this game stem from the simple fact that you played it for a long time and expected to continue being entertained without giving them a single penny.

You're free to hate the game for putting you in the puppet-master-position. You control 3 characters and they do the dirty work, it's not for everyone, but that does not make it a bad game.

Aldo on