As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

**PRE-PAX 2008 DINNER: THANKS AND AFTERMATH**

• AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aye, that would be a very awesome thing to do!

If I can get 4 more people to jump in, I'd be willing to organize and execute it. Anyone interested?

Aliasunknown on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cool! What would it involve? Would we drive around and find homeless people, or is there a shelter that would accept it? I don't know the logistics of such a scenario, but if I can help (and maybe join up with the pub crawl a bit later down the line in order to do so), I'm up for it!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited August 2008
    In my experience, its best to just do it gurilla style. Shelters have standards for food donations, and liability issues; but a hungry guy sleeping on the street will take anything.

Paper plates, plastic utensils, and tin foil would really be all we need.

Aliasunknown on
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... given what you said, Maybe if there's a lot of leftovers we could have everyone who wants to leave with one or more plates, and wherever they're going that night they could give them to homeless that they pass by? Just brainstorming. =)

VThornheart on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm down for that! *begins signup sheet*

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... given what you said, Maybe if there's a lot of leftovers we could have everyone who wants to leave with one or more plates, and wherever they're going that night they could give them to homeless that they pass by? Just brainstorming. =)

That's perfect! Optimal mobilazation, minimum organazation and visibility :)

Aliasunknown on
    edited August 2008
    Excellent! Much good will come of this, with any luck. =)

VThornheart on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We do a homeless people drink/food run on Friday nights in Manchester. Polystyrene containers are good, cos they keep hot food warm. Tin foil is OK, but it can be used for smoking stuff on, just so you know. Plastic spoons are better than forks, and can be used to chop food up. Sweet stuff always goes down really well.

The only issue we have is some places make us sign a waiver before we are allowed to take food away with us, even when we've paid for it all, and some places won't ever allow it.

Also, sandwiches go down really well, cos they can be squashed in your pockets to eat later. If anyone would like me to, I can check out with some peeps in Seattle that I think do a homeless people's food run, and see what they suggest we do.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay. It's official: This community is made of God and WIN!

I absolutely <3 the idea of giving any left-overs to a community service organization that caters to hungry or homeless individuals. I've contacted the St. Martin de Porres Shelter for Men (used to volunteer there in high school) to see if they would accept that kind of donation. If they don't, we can absoutely go gurilla on it. It'd be wasteful to just throw the food away, and I mean, we're going to be comfortable enough to eat thru the rest of the PAX weekend, so why not share with those who are down on their luck? Anyone who wants to help with the leftover food program, just IM me and we'll try to figure out logistics from there.

Thanks for the great idea!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
    edited August 2008
    Awesome Astayonix! =)=) Fantastic!

I like LPM's idea about the polystyrene containers, they'll be easier to truck around as well if we go the rogue/guerrilla route. =)

VThornheart on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I like LPM's idea about the polystyrene containers, they'll be easier to truck around as well if we go the rogue/guerrilla route. =)

Especially since the plates and utensils are the property of the caterers, non?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

Especially since the plates and utensils are the property of the caterers, non?

Nope. Theirs cost too much, so we're supplying that!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    Snickers wrote: »
    Naa, in this case, though I'm all about the VT <3, There should be two thrones, one each for ElectricTurtle and Astayonix!

Agreed! They put their necks on the line big time so we could do this dinner! We all owe them a debt of gratitude.

And a pint if you're up for it? =)

Hell yeah! After the dinner's over and we're done with cleanup, I'm getting FUCKING loaded at the Pub Crawl! :rotate:

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Snickers wrote: »
    Naa, in this case, though I'm all about the VT <3, There should be two thrones, one each for ElectricTurtle and Astayonix!

NO! No thrones.

We are eating Italian food, so turtle is the Godfather (or Don) and his wife plays the role of super hot wife that
    sleeps around behind the Don's back. Copious amounts of acting are needed from both of them because they
    are not really like that.

Hahahaha! ElectricTurtle is looking around going "Someone has a hot wife?" Since I'm a HUGE fan of mob movies, I'd love change my name to Fabriana or Bianca for the night and pretend to be more important than I really am ;). So, which one of you mugs is gonna kick up 15% to me? 8-):...:

[DON HOMER]That's a good-a donut[/DON HOMER]

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    Oh, I see. Still, overinflating the attendance is not a good idea unless it's neccesary. And we won't know that until a few days before.

BTW, where do yall stand right now?

We are currently at 96 (48%) pre-registrants! :) Thanks guys!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    hopefully people who were on the fence will be able to choose to go (PLEASE go if you're thinking about it - it's going to be great!) with that bit of extra time to decide.

Yes! I'm excited and cannot wait! Also, for those of us who are international and need to pick up our PAX passes, would there be time before dinner? How long does it take to get there by the SLUT or bus or wtv from PAX itself and do we want to arrive very early?

There's plenty of time before dinner to pick up your passes and set your bags down at your hotel. Dinner starts at 7:00 in the PM local time. If you want to ride the SLUT or use public transit, you might want to check out page 6 of this thread.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    I think I might have reached my limit posting-wise... Oy. ^_^

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    edited August 2008
    lol Astyonix, you crack me up! =)

I'm psyched to see we hit the halfway mark! Wooooot!

Everyone, remember that this event will be multiplicatively cooler with the more people that go to it! More people = more socializing, partying, and fun! If you know anywhere that'd be good to advertise/spread the word, go for it! Let's make this happen! =)

VThornheart on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Astayonix wrote: »

Hahahaha! ElectricTurtle is looking around going "Someone has a hot wife?" Since I'm a HUGE fan of mob movies, I'd love change my name to Fabriana or Bianca for the night and pretend to be more important than I really am ;). So, which one of you mugs is gonna kick up 15% to me? 8-):...:

[DON HOMER]That's a good-a donut[/DON HOMER]

You said it, not me...

I don't think I would make an imposing mobster in the Italian tradition (though if I were a little older and buffer, perhaps I could do a passable Furio, think about that one, sweetheart), perhaps something like a Shanghai Triad boss?

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    That would be made of Win, ET =)=)

VThornheart on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think with this whole homeless feeding adventure, it is most important to make sure we can even take the food with us when dinner is finished.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Get back on page 1 bumpification.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited August 2008
    Sumi wrote: »
    I think with this whole homeless feeding adventure, it is most important to make sure we can even take the food with us when dinner is finished.

Of course you can. You've paid for it! :p If you want to take some with you, you're welcome to. Once people have had their fill of what they want to eat at the event and taken whatever they want as doggie bags, the remainder after that will be given to the homeless. But yeah, you paid for you, so you have first stab at it!

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I plan on getting a ticket soon. I waiting until it gets a little closer to PAX to see what my budget is going to be like.

That_Guy on
    edited August 2008
    I promise you That_Guy, this thing is going to be well worth it! =)

VThornheart on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in the same boat, I SHOULD be there, I gotta figure out what my budget if any is.

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    I hope you can come Parabola, we're going to have a good time! =) (and, apparently, some great eats =) )

VThornheart on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

We all didn't win a trip form Bioware, lol. I should be able to go, but money is going to be an issue.

That_Guy on
    edited August 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »

We all didn't win a trip form Bioware, lol. I should be able to go, but money is going to be an issue.

Some people like Transparent ...
    I'm going to be on the train and can't make it, but when I get paid I'm purchasing a ticket anyway.

... are buying tickets just for the sake of supporting the dinner, perhaps you could talk to him or others about transferring that ticket to you (the scenario is specifically provided for in the terms).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When it comes to burget, I am the master of having 0 money for extra expenses. That being said, I scraped together for 2 tickets by cutting starbux out for a couple weeks, because i feel that strongly about Child's Play, and I know that Child's Play won't make anything unless over 200 people sign up for this. I have 2 tickets now and I may be getting 2 more and bringing other people because it needs to be done. Also, ET and Astayonix are paying for this out of pocket if we don't get 200 people. 200 out of 12-13k should be super simple.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
    edited August 2008
    Is this walkable from the convention center area? Seems about 11 blocks, which isn't bad.

Is it flat? Whelchair accessible?

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    Will there be beverages served with the meal?

Sumi on
    edited August 2008
    parabola wrote: »
    Is this walkable from the convention center area? Seems about 11 blocks, which isn't bad.

Is it flat? Whelchair accessible?

I have personally walked from the Naval Reserve Building to the Convention Center (specifically because I knew somebody would ask) and it took about 15 minutes. I don't think the terrain would be too hard for a wheelchair so long as you stay on Westlake as far as possible. Other roads are hilly.
    Will there be beverages served with the meal?

Yes, Coke products from Costco.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    Works for me.

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    and water?

Sumi on
    edited August 2008
    and water?

I guarantee you there will be water.

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    Drinkable water?

Sumi on
    edited August 2008
    Drinkable water?

That I wont guarantee.

parabola on
    edited August 2008
    I guess we'll get some water for the health conscious if Astayonix makes me...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited August 2008
    I guess we'll get some water for the health conscious if Astayonix makes me...

*Chases ElectricTurtle around the house with a rolling pin and nags him about buying water*

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
This discussion has been closed.