As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cavities?

GavinGavin Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, for a few years now I've had a particular tooth that always seems to hurt whenever I eat sweets like chocolate, or whenever I poke it around the bottom.

I've never really understood why, I thought maybe it was just the gums, but I can't really examine the tooth because it's actually crowded to the point where the 2 teeth around it make it difficult to look at the top of it.

I've had braces before, but I didn't wear my retainers and so now I have some minor crowding.

I had a dental visit recently and she didn't notice anything, but I didn't bring it up and it occurs to me that maybe she couldn't see it?

So I'm wondering if maybe that could be a cavity?

TL;DR, how do I know I have a cavity

Gavin on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Go to the dentist. Point to the tooth and repeat everything you just posted.

You can't tell if it's a cavity yourself, because it's really fucking hard to see inside your own mouth.

see317 on
  • GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome, I guess I'll do that, then.

I don't know what else it would be, honestly.

And I guess it makes sense because the crowding around that tooth makes it difficult to brush the top side of it well.

Gavin on
  • GavinGavin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cavity_creeps1.jpg

Gavin on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gavin wrote: »
    a particular tooth that always seems to hurt whenever I eat sweets like chocolate, or whenever I poke it around the bottom.

I had this same problem, but on both sides of my mouth. Pointed it out to my dentist. I now have 3 fillings where 3 cavities used to be, and it doesn't hurt to eat sweets or poke around my teeth.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, go ask them to take a look.

Or end up like me, and have 16 fillings or so.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2008
    ITT: 16 reasons to brush your teeth more.

That being the generalized "you", I'm not picking on FyreWulff. God knows I didn't brush mine enough.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Nah, it's cool. Just a result of growing up poor and have a furnace in the house that spewed shit that softened my teeth.

It's still better than losing them/feeling anything. I'm just going to be careful and never walk near any particularly strong magnet.

FyreWulff on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did they take an x-ray? I don't want to stress you out or anything, but after a few years you could potentially have an abscess that will require a root canal.

Don't let that discourage you, see a Dentist.

Marathon on
  • calcium fishcalcium fish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Could just be sensitive teeth. Mine have been pretty sensitive to some pressures/sweets ever since a filling long ago.

If that's what it is the dentist will probably tell you to start using Sensodyne toothpaste or other similar product.

calcium fish on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, you went to the dentist and they didn't ask if you were having sensitivity to hot/cold/sweet? Thats a routine question every time I visit my dentist.

But yeah, as a dude who has had a a lot of cavities, that sounds like one to me. Probably nothing major though. Probably best to get it dealt with sooner rather than later, lest it turn into something worse. Fillings aren't so expensive. Crowns and Root Canals, now those are pricey. And a bitch to sit through.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had a root canal done recently and it was around $800, and that was after my insurance came into play.

So yeah, if you can, get it done sooner rather than later.

tardcore on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    It could also just be a receding gumline if you are getting older which can cause hyperactive nerves. They'll tell you to use a toothpaste with Potassium Nitrate. So... it could range from needing serious work to just swapping your toothpaste.

P.S. Go to the dentist and ask questions.

PeekingDuck on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If it's been persistent for a few years, then the chances that it's a cavity are pretty much nil. Those things don't tend to remain static. There's a good chance that you've got sugar sensitivity. If I eat sweets that stick to my teeth, like caramel, it makes my molars hurt. It's no big deal and if nothing changes then just wait until your next dentist visit to mention it.

You said you just went to the dentist. Did you get x-rays? If you did, and especially since this condition has been persistent for a long time, if she didn't say anything than there's no reason to be particularly concered about it. Just remember to bring it up during your next visit.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2008
    If it's been persistent for a few years, then the chances that it's a cavity are pretty much nil. Those things don't tend to remain static.

I'm sorry, but where would they go? Having the same tooth sensitive to the same thing for a long time just makes it seem more likely that it's a cavity. I can only assume that by "remain static" you mean if it was cavaties it would have gotten worse? Maybe, maybe not. That depends on his oral hygene. I had 2 teeth with cavaties, and only those two teeth, for 2-3 years before I could afford to do something about it.

Also, he's just said he had a recent appointment, but from his posts it seems like he didn't recieve x-rays, which you wouldn't for a regular cleaing appointment or whatnot. You'd like to think your dentist would see cavaties during a cleaning, but if they're in a hard to get to spot on the back of a tooth or something, maybe not.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have the same problem, no cavities or anything. My dentist told me it has do to with a bit of plaque build up in your molar, causing some sort of reaction with sweets that makes your tooth ache.

Shit sucks but you just have to deal.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    If it's been persistent for a few years, then the chances that it's a cavity are pretty much nil. Those things don't tend to remain static.

I'm sorry, but where would they go?
    Nowhere, that's the point. You have a cavity and leave it untreated for years, and it's going to get harder and harder to ignore as it more and more of the tooth is eaten away.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My girl had a similar problem. Turned out it was from grinding her teeth while she slept.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope you don't need a Root Canal. They aren't AS bad as everyone would have you believe, but damn if it isn't uncomfortable. Plus they struck my nerve twice with the drill.

Oh and he had to numb my nerve... So he injected it with their numbing stuff. That hurt like a BITCH for the first 5 seconds. Then it finally kicked in.

urahonky on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Go to the dentist. Point to the tooth and repeat everything you just posted.

You can't tell if it's a cavity yourself, because it's really fucking hard to see inside your own mouth.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Get a superwhamadyne electronic toothbrush. I resisted getting one for years despite recommendations from my ex-bf and two different dentists. I finally bought a nice one and it's made a huge difference in my oral health and the overall feeling of cleanliness in my mouth. The amount of scraping every 6th months when I go for a cleaning has gone done from 30-40 minutes to about 10. If it's really the plaque build-up that is causing this pain, then this will help a lot (because the amount of plaque build-up is so much less with one of these toothbrushes). You still need to floss though. Don't forget to floss.

Regina Fong on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've worked out a good schedule that seems to be doing just fine for me:

- Floss, brush, rinse with mouthwash. In that order, I get out all the stuff between my teeth with the floss so I can get my toothbrush in between my teeth with ease. Then, I use mouthwash as to kind of seal the deal.
    - Do this twice a day, no more than five minutes of your time each session. Use a mouthwash that has an anti-septic. I'm using the kind that restores enamel, or so it says, but I like the way it tastes so it's really up to you. I also like to use a floss that is just standard mint flavored and none of that cinnamon stuff, in case I floss too hard and cut my gums, I wouldn't want it to sting worse than it has to.

tardcore on